HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Actually I agree with you. The sooner we begin to think of "Atlanta" as the greater metro area and not just that little 8% that is the political Atlanta the better. Unfortunately they have not had the wisdom nor power to annex here in Georgia - in reality, most of Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb and parts of Gwinnett should have long become Atlanta City. Laughingly many of the major companies and institutions here (like CDC for example) are not in Atlanta but always claim to be. Whoever heard of the CDC located in unincorporated Dekalb?

The American city municipalities system is quite screwed up. I read years ago that the NYC metro consisted of some 1700 separate municipalities. Probably more now. let's see, that is some 1700 Mayors, Directors of Finance, Fire chiefs, Police Chiefs and dogcatchers. What an incredibly inefficient organization system. I am not opposed to some local and community input, but I don't think you need a mayor for every wide spot in the road.

And they will still be the Atlanta Braves - even if they move to Alpharetta in 20 years.
Hopefully they will remain the Atlanta Braves...but I am hearing some talk about this abomination:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=2

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 2:15 PM

They could also be the OTP Braves. Or the Georgia Braves. Or the Affluent North Metro Atlanta Braves. And, of course, the Republican Braves.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
I like the idea of the Alpharetta Braves - then we can legitimately keep the "A" on the cap.
Well, at least we would have direct rail access, assuming Marta does expand further up 400.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 3:50 AM
Fourth and Main

With so many teams, both major and minor league, moving into downtown areas over the past several years, due to lower attendance in the suburbs; it will be interesting to see how the Cobb Braves do, when the newness of their ballpark is gone. The most desirable age groups for profitable broadcasting rights deals are driving less, more interested in downtowns, and more likely to use transit. Will the Braves see a new stadium spike for about two or three years and then a steep decline in attendance? If so, the Braves could return to Atlanta when their contract with Cobb expires? Could Atlanta attract a team similar to the St. Paul Saints, which play a short distance away from the Twins? I'm sure a short season league would be very interested in Atlanta, if it's possible. Maybe The Ted could become a smaller ballpark for an Appalachian League Team and the venue could host other smaller baseball events, like college tournaments, and also still host concerts? It would be nice for Atlanta to preserve as much of its Olympic History as possible.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Maybe The Ted could become a smaller ballpark for an Appalachian League Team and the venue could host other smaller baseball events, like college tournaments, and also still host concerts? It would be nice for Atlanta to preserve as much of its Olympic History as possible.
Unfortunately the city has already announced that it will be demolished.

Personally I like the Ted and hate to see it go.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 12:05 AM

It is truly amazing - there is really nothing wrong with the Ted at all - a very nice park; same for the Dome. Greed and big business rule in sports and the bottom line is what counts - and to think that we once believed it was about the game.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 12:31 AM

I couldn't care less where the Braves move to: if Cobb wants to roll out the red carpet of dough (much to Tea Party chagrin), let them. The City of Atlanta can find better uses for those $100's of millions of dollars.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Unfortunately the city has already announced that it will be demolished.

Personally I like the Ted and hate to see it go.
Yes but members of the Turner Field task force have said that all options are on the table. If there is a way the stadium can be kept along with redevelopment of the neighborhood, I'm sure they will do that. It won't be feasible to keep it in its current form without a major league team but perhaps it could be downsized and used by GSU and other events.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 1:37 AM
Fourth and Main

If they could downsize it to around 8,000 seats and add some family friendly amusements, they could reduce parking requirements and host minor league baseball. MiLB has more affordable tickets I'm sure Atlanta families would love and it could make a great anchor for whatever is built there. I would love to see a minor league team playing at a packed Ted, while the Braves enjoy a half-empty ballpark and angry fans arriving late, due to traffic, and complaining about the prices. If St. Paul and Brooklyn are allowed to have minor league teams, there is a good chance Atlanta can too. I would like to see at least part of the Olympic Stadium preserved, even if that involves removing the upper deck and seats behind the outfield. The area behind the outfield wall can become picnic areas, cheap grass seating and play areas. This could also allow for a straightening of Georgia Avenue to open more property to develop. A mixed-use retail village could be built around the original Fulton County Stadium Diamond and wall, allowing this area to become a central park with grass again. Maybe have fountains around it?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I couldn't care less where the Braves move to: if Cobb wants to roll out the red carpet of dough (much to Tea Party chagrin), let them. The City of Atlanta can find better uses for those $100's of millions of dollars.
You greatly expressed my sentiments. Especially when every generation or so, the Braves (or other professional sports enterprises) make request of the public coffers for their billion dollar enterprises. Turner Field was essentially a gift to the Braves after the Olympics - and a mere generation later they come asking for hundreds of millions of dollars of public money. I say let Cobb (or any other inner core county) share in the expenses of the big city - maybe Cobb can contribute toward Grady as well.

The Braves will still be marketing Atlanta - they are not going to be called the Smyrna Braves. Plus the city of Atlanta doesn't have to worry every 15 years or so about out-of-town, billion-dollar ownership requesting city financing for their endeavors and their multi-millionaire employees. However, unlike the Tea Party, I do feel like government plays a role in funding projects that benefit society as a whole. But like the mayor stated - I too will still be cheering for the Atlanta Braves and even harder for the city of Atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 4:19 PM

Ivan Allen and others who fought so hard to bring the Braves to Atlanta would be stunned and heartbroken that we let them get away.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
If they could downsize it to around 8,000 seats and add some family friendly amusements, they could reduce parking requirements and host minor league baseball. MiLB has more affordable tickets I'm sure Atlanta families would love and it could make a great anchor for whatever is built there. I would love to see a minor league team playing at a packed Ted, while the Braves enjoy a half-empty ballpark and angry fans arriving late, due to traffic, and complaining about the prices. If St. Paul and Brooklyn are allowed to have minor league teams, there is a good chance Atlanta can too. I would like to see at least part of the Olympic Stadium preserved, even if that involves removing the upper deck and seats behind the outfield. The area behind the outfield wall can become picnic areas, cheap grass seating and play areas. This could also allow for a straightening of Georgia Avenue to open more property to develop. A mixed-use retail village could be built around the original Fulton County Stadium Diamond and wall, allowing this area to become a central park with grass again. Maybe have fountains around it?

Fans will be just as happy in a new ballpark with the additional amenities the new stadium will have...and these fans that were driving to The Ted was caught in traffic just as well. Everyone knows that you adjust your schedule accordingly depending on where you are going.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Ivan Allen and others who fought so hard to bring the Braves to Atlanta would be stunned and heartbroken that we let them get away.
Atlanta is more than the city limits in certain aspects. If the Braves were moving to Birmingham, Orlando, etc., then Atlanta would be losing the Braves, whether it was Cobb, Doraville, etc., Atlanta isn't losing the Braves or the convenience of the Braves. As the Mayor said, those people including hisself will still attend the Braves game. Lord knows if the Braves depended on fans from the city limits, they would've moved years ago, and guess what it wouldn't have been in any metropolitan area of Atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 6:45 PM

I think of it as if the Braves are moving from Atlanta's front yard to Atlanta's back yard. Different location but on the same lot. The Backyard Braves.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Atlanta is more than the city limits in certain aspects. If the Braves were moving to Birmingham, Orlando, etc., then Atlanta would be losing the Braves, whether it was Cobb, Doraville, etc., Atlanta isn't losing the Braves or the convenience of the Braves.
Well, that is true. I think the old schoolers like Ivan Allen and Mills B. Lane were very focused on downtown. But of course Atlanta (city and metro) was a different place in the 1960s.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Well, that is true. I think the old schoolers like Ivan Allen and Mills B. Lane were very focused on downtown. But of course Atlanta (city and metro) was a different place in the 1960s.
Soooooooo TRUE!!! Just look at what Midtown has become!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 12:56 AM
Fourth and Main

After residing here for almost 7 years, I will say there are places I would love to visit more often for food, shopping, or entertainment, but the traffic reduces the number of times I go those places. That is the adjustment I, and I'm sure many others as well, make. And making things worse for the Braves, they are on TV! It's easy to say forget the traffic and watch the game at the bar or at home with friends (saving money too!). For out-of-towners, they often comment on how bad the traffic is and that seems to be much of the Braves attendance. Most of the people I meet at games are from outside the metro area. I would love to see those tourists in the heart of the city, at clustered attractions, so tourists don't have to drive as much and more of their economic impact is in the city. Traffic is an issue the region actually sees as an issue to continued job creation and tried to work on with the regional transportation tax. As for the newness, it will be gone in two or three years. This is usually observed at all new ballparks. There is a spike in the first 2-3 years and then you see how far it declines, which is an indicator of if you selected a good location for the ballpark. A good location often is easily accessible by everyone from transit riders, to drivers, to cyclists, in a walkable area near residences/workplaces, and is an attractive area to be in. It's why so many new ballparks are built in downtowns. We'll see how this works out for them when the newness is gone.

I know the few games I attended were often to meet-up with others in the city and go elsewhere after a few innings. It's not in the city, so this crowd is gone. I also most enjoyed seeing the skyline and being in the city when attending just to go there and have fun. I'm not much of a baseball fan. With no skyline behind the outfield wall or in-the-city location, I have no real interest in going to a game anymore myself. If I do, it will be to see the new ballpark (yes, the temporary new ballpark spike) and I don't like baseball, so I would likely just take a tour of the ballpark when the team is on the road. I did that years ago (1997?) when I was a kid and thought that was interesting and the best way to see the ballpark. I guess I likely wouldn't see more than one game at best?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 6:30 PM

Braves close on stadium land

Quote:
The Atlanta Braves on Friday closed on the 57-acre parcel where the team’s $672 million stadium will be built and are expected to this week announce the stadium's name and designer. On Saturday afternoon, members of the Braves, The Boy Scouts of America, The National Park Service and various consulting firms worked to remove turtles from the property, reports The Marietta Daily Journal.

The Braves agreed to pay $34 million to Bethesda, Md.-based B.F. Saul Co. for the property. But before work can begin, the land must be surveyed. To do that, a roughly 20-year-old, man-made pond atop what was once a parking lot on the site, must be drained, said Tom Simpson, of Jones Lang LaSalle, a Chicago-based consulting firm.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...land-work.html

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:24 PM

Braves pick finalists to develop mixed-use project

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/r...o-develop.html

Quote:
The company behind L.A. Live, a retail and entertainment district in Los Angeles anchored by the Staples Center, is a finalist to develop the more than $400 million mixed-use project surrounding the new Braves stadium.

AEG, owner of L.A. Live, is partnering with Houston-based Hines Interests and Cincinnati-based North American Properties in a bid to develop the new mixed-use project surrounding the Cobb County Braves stadium. The other finalist is a partnership of well-known Atlanta developers: Fuqua Development LLC and Pope & Land Enterprises Inc. Jeff Fuqua, a former executive with The Sembler Co., is backed by Pope & Land on a spate of new projects Fuqua has in the works from Midtown to Kennesaw.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 6:03 PM

Gee, it would be cool to see them do something like L.A. Live.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta