HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Minimis NY View Post
I completely agree with that statement as well. It's ridiculous how tasteless certain lighting schemes have become. Lights should be used to highlight the architecture and AT MOST to provide some subtle coloring to complement what's already there. This picture of Woolworth is exactly what I'm talking about: soft white lights to draw attention to the detailing at night with just a touch of green at the bottom of the lighting scheme to reflect the green crown of the building.

Everything about that scheme conveys sophistication, while everything about the WTC 1 base scheme conveys gimmickry (I am aware that even Woolworth has had its share of bad lighting in the past, by the way). Obviously the lighting scheme for WTC 1 shouldn't be the same as that for Woolworth, as WTC 1 is more of a statement of power than of elegance, but the current approach to the base doesn't reflect power either. It's just lazy and cheapens the whole thing.

I also agree that Bank of America, 4 Times Square, and even Empire State can overdo it at times. It's just too much color. The best-lit building in the city for the past 80 years has been Chrysler and it still doesn't use ridiculous colors like that at all. I want more gotham and less candyland.
I see where you are going with the lighting matter, but this isn't a gothic style building...It is a modern skyscraper. Not much you can do with architectural lighting on One WTC. Yes, it is unfortunate that the building does not have the beveled base or the originally planned spire, as they would have provided more interesting ways to light this building, but it doesn't have those features.

I personally would like to see the multicolored lights as seen in 599GTO's picture, as it would give the ground level a more modern (and somewhat-futuristic), sleek-looking lighting display. I believe that it would work nicely as a backdrop to the area, and would complement the commercial and tourist scene that will become of the World Trade Center site.

Plus, what if all the other WTC buildings had base displays like this that all followed the same lighting design? It would add a little bit of unification for the site, and would definitely boost the effect that it had on visitors in the area.

Of course, however, this all is just in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 4:15 AM

New York isn't an architecturally uniform city and there is nothing wrong with new buildings departing from the norm. New York isn't Paris. There is nothing tacky about colored lighting if not done overboard. And on that note, 1 WTC is the only building in lower Manhattan that uses colors (other than Woolworth, which does so on occasion) so the concern of New York turning into some tacky city in Asia is unwarranted.

And to compare Woolworth with something modern like 1 WTC is silly. Completely different buildings. The Woolworth's soft white lighting elegantly highlights its ornate crown from an era which can never be replicated and the base of the WTC is simply glass panel that a 5 year old with super glue could recreate. The entire building is "gimmicky" in the first place (illusion of having a real shape via tapers, an antenna carrying the building to "1776" independence year ) and that touch of kitsch at the base isn't as out of place as it would be gracing serious structures such as the Woolworth, Chrysler or the Bibliothèque-Musée de l'Opéra National de Paris.

But of course, colored lights can look tasteful on ornate, older structures such as the MetLife Tower which had the best lighting in the city before the Empire State Building installed LEDs.

Last edited by 599GTO; Mar 15, 2014 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 10:25 PM

My latest video from today shot from Rockaway:

By: QUEENSNY121:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3A37...ature=youtu.be

Also fom this evening from Belle Harbor , Queens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yXNn...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by QUEENSNYMAN; Mar 16, 2014 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhernandez2012 View Post
what if all the other WTC buildings had base displays like this that all followed the same lighting design? It would add a little bit of unification for the site, and would definitely boost the effect that it had on visitors in the area.
No, that wouldn't do at all. There is a reason the memorial facing sides of the towers are the "quieter" sides. People tend to forget that, but this isn't Times Square. There are lots of more interesting places that could be lit at street level Downtown to liven things up a bit. The WTC towers don't and won't need it, they will have life all their own with the retail shops that will be open.

sara_rall

Visual Thinking (by Terry McKenna)

wrightrkuk

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Mid town is so big it makes lower manhattan look small. In any other city in the world lower manhattan alone would be king.
New york, its hard to comprehend the scale of it sometimes. Great photos thanks

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Ive always just seen far away skyline shots of 1wtc, I didn't realise it had a base like that, why did they design it like that?. It still looks great but would have been better with a slimmer base

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstewie View Post
Ive always just seen far away skyline shots of 1wtc, I didn't realise it had a base like that, why did they design it like that?. It still looks great but would have been better with a slimmer base
I don't think anyone here feels like explaining what happened with the base. At least I know I don't.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 9:59 PM
BANNED

What happened?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 11:13 PM

The downtown skyline already looks complete again w/o wtc 2 and 3, can't wait to see it when they're finished too.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 11:42 PM

1 WTC not lit for St. Patrick's Day

Just checked out the two best live cams of 1 WTC:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...cam=liberty_hd

and

http://www.nyharborwebcam.com

And it doesn't seem like 1 WTC has the St. Patty's Day spirit even though the ESB does...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 2:25 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 1:00 PM

I wish someone would make a rendering of the COMPLETE WTC complex (1,2,3,and 4) from Rockefeller centre. Thats the view all news channels use. currently the closest render to this from 432 park.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:22 PM

1WTC is at the end of this one

Video Link

Part of a nigh-uninterrupted skyline shot from Lower Manhattan to Columbus Circle

Video Link

Seven Miles of New York Skyline - Downtown, Midtown, and Uptown Manhattan. The title might be a bit misleading since a piece of the skyline between Downtown and Midtown is missing, but unlike the video above, the scope is from Downtown all the way past 100th St on the Upper East Side. The WTC is all the way at the end, but it has a better and clearer, albeit shakier at times, closeup of antenna features at the end

Video Link

Last edited by Lecom; Mar 18, 2014 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:04 AM

Brief video clip I made yesterday

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:56 AM

Why the construction elevator is not taking it down yet? Is still there?

Last edited by LMich; Mar 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: No need to quote an entire photo post for one question.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 12:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Video Link

http://nypost.com/2014/03/20/teen-sn...s-104th-floor/

Teen sneaks past guard to reach WTC spire

By Philip Messing, Frank Rosario and Bruce Golding
March 20, 2014

Quote:
A New Jersey teen captivated by 1 World Trade Center sneaked out of his home in the dead of night, got past the wall of security — and a sleeping guard — making it all the way up to the spire, The Post has learned.

Scrawny 16-year-old Justin Casquejo crawled through a hole in a Ground Zero fence at about 4 a.m. Sunday and got a lift up the tower from a clueless union elevator operator, even though he had no ID.

He was dropped off on the 88th floor and hiked the stairs up to the 104th floor — where a guard assigned to protect the top of the world’s biggest terror target was sound asleep.

That guard has since been fired.

Casquejo told cops he then climbed up to the roof and made it up to the antenna.

After spending two glorious hours atop the nation’s tallest buildings snapping photos, the young daredevil was finally caught by a construction worker as he made his way back down.

“He came here and he ran hog wild,” said a stunned WTC worker.

Casquejo, who lives in Weehawken, NJ, laughed the whole thing off Wednesday afternoon when The Post asked him about his escapade.

“Ha ha, oh yeah, that. Right. I would really love to talk to you guys because I have a lot that I want to say about it,” he said. “I was told that I just can’t [talk] without permission.”

But he summed up his adventure in a one-word tweet: “Inspired.”

Casquejo has long been a WTC buff. His Facebook page features photos of him posing with the building in the background.

When cops questioned him, he bragged that he had little trouble getting past security at a building that was supposed to be cloaked in a “ring of steel.”

“I walked around the construction site and figured out how to access the Freedom Tower rooftop,” he said, according to court papers.

Law-enforcement sources said Casquejo got into the heavily guarded site like a kid sneaking into an abandoned warehouse — though a crack in a barbed-wire fence.

“He’s a skinny kid who got through a skinny hole,” the source said.

The elevator operator who asked no questions while taking him skyward has since been reassigned — but got to keep his job because of his hardhat union. But the guard who was snoozing on the top floor wasn’t as lucky — he was immediately fired.

Casquejo faces a charge of misdemeanor trespassing, but his adventure is an epic failure of at least four layers of security at the WTC site.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Why the construction elevator is not taking it down yet? Is still there?
I believe Conde Nast is utilizing it for their interior build out. A perk of being the first anchor tenant.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Video Link

http://nypost.com/2014/03/20/teen-sn...s-104th-floor/

Teen sneaks past guard to reach WTC spire

By Philip Messing, Frank Rosario and Bruce Golding
March 20, 2014
Alright, which one of you was it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive