HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Yeah, but you threw out the qualifier "if I had the cash". I'm wondering who in that demographic has the money to pop for a tic that costs $hundreds and the time to fly in for a couple of days and hang out....must be the trust fund babes.
haha; i don't think paris hilton would go camping. from what i've heard fellow festival-goers say, the price is actually lower than some other competing festivals. while the 4 day pass was $400, the one day pass was right around $100. a lot of people just go for one day and then get exhausted and go home.

i do agree with you personally that the price is too high; there needs to be a lower cost option for people like me, but i guess they're trying to make money.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but you threw out the qualifier "if I had the cash". I'm wondering who in that demographic has the money to pop for a tic that costs $hundreds and the time to fly in for a couple of days and hang out....must be the trust fund babes.
There are a surprisingly large number of people with trust funds, especially in/near big cities.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:29 PM

If you look at how many bands went it's actually a great deal. If you are into that kind of music then festivals like this are actually the cheapest way to watch them. I did Counterpoint the first year and it was the best bang-for-the-buck concert I've ever been to. This entire conversation sounds very much like a "Get off my lawn" discussion I'd have with my grandpa lol.

I'm about to blow multiple Tomorrow World tickets to go to Nappa and sit on my ass and drink wine all day. A lot of people would think that is a waste.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:17 PM

The changing face of Downtown Atlanta

CL has a really interesting article on the changes coming to Downtown.

Quote:
It's the neighborhood's biggest year since the 1996 Olympics, but what has tourist development done for residents lately?
http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-changin...t?oid=11096253

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:14 AM

Atlanta City Council OKs sale of civic center

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...ic-center.html

Quote:
The Atlanta City Council agreed Monday to sell the Boisfeuillet Jones Atlanta Civic Center in hopes of turning what has been an under-utilized drain on the city’s budget into a catalyst for revitalization.
Council members voted 10-4 in favor of an ordinance turning over the city-owned property to Invest Atlanta, the city’s economic development arm, which will seek bids from developers.
The 380,000-square-foot civic center opened in 1967 on an 18-acre site at Piedmont Avenue and Ralph McGill Boulevard. As it has aged, many of the shows it once was able to attract have shifted to other venues, including the Cobb Energy Center.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 6:22 AM

The civic center would have enjoyed a much longer life if the architecture had been more iconic and not so blah. I guess it was good for it's time.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
The civic center would have enjoyed a much longer life if the architecture had been more iconic and not so blah. I guess it was good for it's time.
It absolutely was a huge step up for it's time. It replaced the old Municipal Auditorium.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
It absolutely was a huge step up for it's time. It replaced the old Municipal Auditorium.
It really replaced the slums in Buttermilk Bottom but, yeah, you have a point. Not a fan of the way it addressed the large plot of land but I do love the interior design. That was one of the two possible locations for Atlanta Stadium in the sixties; wonder how things would have changed if the Braves and Falcons had played closer to Midtown

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:54 PM

is anyone here doing the moonlight ride on friday? my partner and i are doing it, if anyone else here is going maybe we could meet up for a drink or something.

http://atlantamoonride.com/about

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:53 AM

Rumor Central: Bloomingdales (Div. av Macy) has a plan to build out a "handful" of urban hot (downtown/midtown) stores. If ATL in the mix then someone should take a look to (part of) 180 Peachtree - right in the tourists, students, sports fans, etc.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:03 AM

They closed a location in DT Houston and will open one in DT Miami. DT LA seems certain.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:27 AM

And before anyone else brings it up, I know the Lenox location isn't doing very great.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
They closed a location in DT Houston and will open one in DT Miami. DT LA seems certain.
There was never a Bloomingdale's in Downtown Houston. They closed the former Macy's and tore it down for new development.

I have a friend in corporate at Macy's, and she says the Atlanta Bloomie's is like the 4th or 5th largest one and does well.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 4:34 AM

My information was wrong then. What's the chance of a Bloomingdale in downtown Atlanta? They are getting more interested in central locations?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
My information was wrong then. What's the chance of a Bloomingdale in downtown Atlanta? They are getting more interested in central locations?
No problem, it happens to all of us.

My gut feeling as to the possibility of a Bloomingdale's Downtown is zero to none. If they ever decided to target Atlanta for one of these new urban concept locations, I would guess Midtown - but I don't see that happening, either. The Lenox store is huge, and probably fills their needs very nicely here.

I would love to be proven wrong, though!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:42 AM

Atlanta sets public meetings on infrastructure bond

Quote:
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed is laying the groundwork for a $250 million infrastructure bond he plans to ask city voters to approve next year.
Starting tonight, the city will hold a series of public meetings to gather input on projects that could be funded through the bond.
Atlanta faces an infrastructure backlog of more than $900 million, including $881 million needed to restore and/or replace deteriorating roads, bridges, sidewalks, street lights, traffic signals and signs.

The proposed bond would be placed on the ballot next March.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:47 PM
i ain't no bubba

If you're a car enthusiast, this could be a big (free) weeekend...

The exhibit at the High Museum, Dream Cars, is incredible.
http://www.high.org/
Admission is free this weekend on Saturday for Fulton County residents (limited supply of tickets) and on Saturday and Sunday for Bank of America customers.

Caffine and Octane is a free drive-in auto show held off Windward Parkway in Alpharetta the first Sunday of every month.
http://www.caffeineandoctane.com/
Dozens (maybe hundreds) of spectacular/customized vehicles show up to be gawked at ranging from (at my last visit) a line-up of cars from the 30's and 40's to McLaren, Bugatti, Aston Martin, etc.
It runs from 8 to 11am but consider getting there early as parking in the surrounding lots fills up quickly.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:36 AM

A giant of Atlanta planning passes away. Harry West had a role in just about every major transportation initiative in metro Atlanta during the last half century.

Harry West, 72: Regional planner, professor

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:16 PM

The COP Blvd. traffic signals are not properly synched...causing major backups.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 5:23 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta