HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:06 PM
National Capital Region

renamed the thread to reflect that it has turned into a broader discussion of suburban development standards

big report on the driveway standards
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdoc...&itemid=304501

recommend allowing wider driveways in the burbs for singles/wider lots. Not for towns/narrower lots.

Don't know if I'd agree with all of their suggestions for the Building Better Suburbs group
1. Parking spaces located in garages may be too small.
2. Suburban townhouse lots may be too small.
3. Minimum front yard setbacks with respect to garage doors may be too
shallow.
4. Should street-oriented townhouses be required to have rear lanes?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 12:21 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Two-car families deserve two-car driveways, city planners say

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN January 22, 2014 7:00 PM

OTTAWA — Owning two cars and having nowhere to put them is such a problem in Ottawa’s outer suburbs that we need to relax the rules limiting the sizes of people’s driveways, the city’s planning department says.

The idea is to create “a new balance between parking and other concerns in the suburban communities outside the Greenbelt,” according to a report bound for city council’s planning committee next week. In general, driveways are only allowed to be as wide as the garages they serve, and on the small lots that are common in newer parts of Stittsville and Barrhaven in particular, that means they can only fit one car.

If the garage is full of old couches and hockey gear, two-car families are left parking one car on the street. Streets full of cars parked that way are a pain for visitors and some residents complain that they’re unsightly or unsafe because they’re too crowded.

The solution: let people widen their driveways beyond the widths of their garages so they can park two cars side by side, on condition that the extra paving is done with interlocking stones, tiles, or other pretty materials, not plain asphalt or concrete. Driveways built that way would be allowed to cover up to half the frontage of a house.

An online survey found that was a happy medium: Sixty per cent of more than 1,000 respondents in the unscientific poll said they’d have no problem if everybody on their block did it, though opinion started to tilt the other way when the planners asked about letting driveways extend across two-thirds of a house instead of just half.

The looser rules would cover all of Ottawa’s suburbs outside the Greenbelt. Though they don’t do much for people living in townhouses on very narrow lots: the 50-per-cent rule applies to them, too, even if that doesn’t let them widen their driveways at all.

Most people would be OK with the look of driveways and parking pads that took up almost the entire front yards of narrow townhouses, the survey found but there are practical problems with letting that happen: where to shovel snow in the winter, where to leave bins on garbage day, all the extra run-off when it rains. So they get the same limit as everyone else, even though it leads to a much firmer restriction.

“To do otherwise would, while fixing a parking problem, cause more serious engineering and operational problems,” the report says.

Shad Qadri, the Stittsville councillor who raised the problem months ago, said he’s satisfied with the proposed solution. “I think it will help alleviate some of the concerns that have been a problem, particularly in newer parts of my community,” he said.

Garages and driveways in some areas are just too small for many families, he said. “Some of the garages are not capable of storing a large car, in my community. A lot of people drive large vehicles, so a lot of single-car garages that are constructed are garages in name, but they may not be able to accommodate a mid-size vehicle,” he said.

People sometimes buy houses without realizing they’ll need more storage space or bigger cars as their families grow, Qadri said. The problem cascades from the house to the garage to the driveway and out into the street; wider driveways will at least keep people’s stuff on their own property.

It’s possible that the city allows developers to build new houses with garages that are too small to be practical, especially for bigger vehicles like minivans and SUVs, the report says, and with driveways that are too short. A city task force that’s looking at how to build better suburbs is to consider changing those rules, too.

But in the meantime, the looser driveway-width restrictions are due for a vote next Tuesday, Jan. 28.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...887/story.html

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: moved to thread with previous discussion on this file

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 1:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Suburban lifestyle demands wider driveways, planning committee agrees

By David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen January 28, 2014 4:00 PM

OTTAWA — Suburban Ottawa needs wider driveways so residents can store more cars on their property, but only if it doesn’t mean cutting away more city curbs, city council’s planning committee decided Tuesday.

At stake is the suburban way of life outside the Greenbelt, which doesn’t fit into the rules the city has set for the sorts of houses that can be built there.

New rules, if city council signs off, will allow homeowners to build driveways half as wide as their whole property lots, but won’t automatically let those driveways open onto the roads in front. That means driveways allowed under the new rules would have to have street entrances the same size but widen out closer to each house.

“It’s going to give people an opportunity to manage their lives, live in the houses they chose to, and still have some green space,” said Coun. Jan Harder, who represents Barrhaven. Owning multiple cars is an intrinsic part of suburban life, she said, arguing in favour of the new rules.

She and her husband have lived in a granny suite with one of her daughters and her family. It meant multiple cars, far more than could fit in a garage that also needed to fit hockey equipment, a basketball net, a snowblower, lawn mowers and all the accoutrements of suburban life. A single-car garage with room in front of it for one car on a driveway, which is the standard in many newer suburban developments, just won’t cut it.

According to city stats, two- and three-car households are the norm outside the Greenbelt. Inside the Greenbelt, most have one car or none.

The result is roads, especially in Stittsville and Barrhaven, that are crowded with residents’ extra cars, making the roads hard to drive through and exceedingly difficult to plow.

“It’s very, very difficult,” Harder said. “We are dependent on cars.”

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson agreed, but she also pointed out that the city has failed residents of newer suburbs with smaller, more closely spaced houses. OC Transpo has shuffled transit around but hasn’t offered a real increase in bus service in years. She told a story about a small house in her ward where five young single men live with a car each.

“The transit system we have is such that they won’t use it,” Wilkinson said. So they park their cars all over the place, illegally, and the city is lax about enforcing even the rules about that.

Nobody on the planning committee objected to the new driveway rules, though Kanata South’s Allan Hubley, whose ward has been plagued by flooding, pushed for the tweak to forbid curb cuts that aren’t allowed under the old rules, because curbs are an essential part of draining water from heavy storms.

The new rules would allow the parking space on driveways to be widened in most cases by 1.8 metres, or about six feet. In most places, a front walkway is allowed to be that wide but lots of people don’t have them — the effect of the change is to let people tack that amount of paving on to an existing driveway. It would likely lead to more water draining into the city’s sewers than does now, but not enough to overwhelm them.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...459/story.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:32 AM
National Capital Region

Sometimes I seriously regret having such keen predictive powers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The entire basis for this discussion seems a bit screwy, to be honest.

This all started apparently as a result of suburbanites being unable to fit two cars in their driveways between the sidewalk and the garage door (god forbid anyone park their car in their garage...) with the result that sidewalks were being impinged upon. Ok... but if that's the case, why should the discussion be limited to a few streets?

Staff have now made an exception for a few streets where deleting some sidewalks arguably isn't too big a deal. Staff didn't give much of a real rationale (they basically just kept writing on about the various layers of policies and plans), relying on the fact that the status quo seems acceptable to local residents. However, since the impetus for this change and the rationale (as seen by local residents) of not being able to fit two cars in still applies to other streets where sidewalks will continue to be required, City Staff have now created a bit of a problem for themselves in the future for other new streets where the exceptions don't or can't apply.

In effect, what has happened is that being able to fit two vehicles between the street/sidewalk and the garage can now be considered a legitimate planning issue. Why should suburbanites on low-volume streets be able to park two cars when those on ever-so-slightly busier streets or those with schools and the like not be able to do the same? I can well see that the response will be to increase setbacks where policy requires a sidewalk to ensure that two cars can be accommodated.
Ok, I got the policy response wrong: instead of increasing the setback we'll allow widened driveways instead. I suppose that deals with all suburban streets rather than just new ones.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 4:31 AM

The new better suburbia

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:21 PM

Garages and driveways in some areas are just too small for many families, he said. “Some of the garages are not capable of storing a large car, in my community. A lot of people drive large vehicles, so a lot of single-car garages that are constructed are garages in name, but they may not be able to accommodate a mid-size vehicle,” he said.

People sometimes buy houses without realizing they’ll need more storage space or bigger cars as their families grow, Qadri said. The problem cascades from the house to the garage to the driveway and out into the street; wider driveways will at least keep people’s stuff on their own property.

What a crock.....when you buy a home either brand new or a re-sale you should look at the width of the garage and figure out if you can get your car in there with lawnmower, snow shovel etc. Most of the driveways that allow for a single car do not require a snow blower,unless you are infirm. If the garage and driveway configuration does not fit your car needs, don't buy the house....it seems rather simple to me.

This is a classic case of the city councillors not being behind intensification and more compact development. How can a suburb foster public transit if the ability to park your SUV anywhere continues.

Listening to the debate, the lack of vision in Jan Harder was incredible. She really does want to be the voice of the cfra nation and the people from the 'burbs'. She uses that term 'burbs' as a source of pride.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 4:20 PM
National Capital Region

I'm calling foul on this one.

The City's required parking space dimensions are 5.2 m (17') x 2.6 m (8½'), which was restated in the report.

I just checked the dimensions of a 2015 GMC Yukon: 17' by 6'8". So even one of the biggest SUVs around has a chance of fitting into the City's standard spaces (though I have to confess that the likelihood of someone who purchases such a vehicle actually having the skill to park it with the precision needed in such confines is extremely small). At any rate, any garages built to adhere to the standard City of Ottawa parking space should be able to accommodate a mid-sized vehicle.

If garages are indeed being built that are below this size, and without any other designated official parking space on the property, then frankly what in blazes is all this planning bureaucracy actually for if it can't enforce its own standards?

Reading through the report, all of 5 respondents in favour of widening driveways cited garages as being too small as a reason for favouring this change, so I'm pretty sure Qadri is full of it.

The biggest response in favour of widening driveways was that onstreet parking was taking up too much street space, with none left for visitors. The next was the effect of onstreet parking on winter snow clearing.

I was amazed reading the report to find that none of the Conservation Authorities had any comment. None. On an issue that would surely increase stormwater surge flows and increase pollutants. Amazing.

Looking at the report, I found something else kind of disturbing. It seems to be the opinion of the report authors that a driveway has to be 5.2 m (17' again) wide to accommodate two cars side-by-side. That's absurd. Depending on the length of the driveway and the cars involved, driveways need only be about 4 m or 12' wide to accommodate two cars as they can be staggered and such.

At least they largely ruled out increasing setbacks, but they did offer the possibility of having garages setback from or inset into the front wall of the house, as well as rear lane parking access for townhouses.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:46 PM

Quote:
“Some of the garages are not capable of storing a large car, in my community. A lot of people drive large vehicles, so a lot of single-car garages that are constructed are garages in name, but they may not be able to accommodate a mid-size vehicle,”
LOL. I've never seen a garage that doesn't fit a midsize car. That sure sounds like bs to me.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post

What a crock.....when you buy a home either brand new or a re-sale you should look at the width of the garage and figure out if you can get your car in there with lawnmower, snow shovel etc. Most of the driveways that allow for a single car do not require a snow blower,unless you are infirm. If the garage and driveway configuration does not fit your car needs, don't buy the house....it seems rather simple to me.

This is a classic case of the city councillors not being behind intensification and more compact development. How can a suburb foster public transit if the ability to park your SUV anywhere continues.

Listening to the debate, the lack of vision in Jan Harder was incredible. She really does want to be the voice of the cfra nation and the people from the 'burbs'. She uses that term 'burbs' as a source of pride.
There is way too much talk of "necessity" on this one... as usual.

Having a huge vehicle is not a "necessity", at least not for most people. I for one purposefuly measure a vehicle before purchasing it to ensure it fits in my garage.

And of course the classic "necessity" of having two cars or more is greatly overstated. My family has only one car and we are one of the only single-car households on our street - and we are also one of the busiest I am sure.

I don't see why you need two or even three cars when the kids don't drive yet, don't do any activities, dad works 8 to 4 at Portage and mom is a stay-at-home mother and the school is a five-minute walk away. This is pretty common on my street.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 6:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

We need to get a handle on demand for parking, Holmes says

Posted by: David Reevely
February 24, 2014. 2:22 pm • Section: City Hall

As part of the ongoing struggle over how much parking for new condos is enough, Somerset Coun. Diane Holmes sent this to deputy city manager Steve Kanellakos, CC’d to a couple of community associations:

Quote:
Steve,

The 2008 Comprehensive Zoning By-Law instituted a visitor parking ratio that is too high for downtown buildings, about double the former City’s requirements. As a result, nearly every rezoning application in my ward for a large condominium building has included a discussion on visitor parking, with the applicant usually seeking no or very little visitor parking (less than would have been required by the former City) and with residents concerned that this will be too low.

The ensuing debate is based entirely on speculation about how much visitor parking will be needed, and takes place before the people most affected (future buyers and residents of the condos) have the chance to take part. Once the building is approved, the planning department no longer has any part in dealing with traffic issues that result when there is insufficient vehicular or bicycle parking.

Since these discussions will continue on a case-by-case basis until the zoning by-law is next reviewed, there is a need for the City to inform this debate with a study of the actual demand in downtown condo buildings (both new and recently built), including:

- Demand for resident parking (ownership)
- Demand for resident parking (use and in/out flow)
- Demand for onsite visitor parking
- Availability of nearby public parking (free and paid, onstreet and in lots)
- Resident bicycle parking (and relationship to parking demand)
- Visitor/customer bicycle parking
- Loading /Garbage areas (i.e. is there enough space within the building or do they regularly block the sidewalk/street?)
- Access to public transit (and relationship to parking demand)
- Access to nearby pedestrian/cyclist infrastructure
- Access to nearby day-to-day needs (groceries, etc.)
- Other factors that mitigate actual need for parking

Please advise how such a study can be arranged.

Sincerely,

Diane Holmes
Councillor, Somerset Ward
Here again is the philosophical problem I’ve written about before, in which it’s not clear whether the city’s stated goal of getting people to own and drive fewer cars is better served by having people pay for their own (expensive) private parking spots or share (scarce) public ones.

Holmes writes about the demand for parking as if it’s a fixed thing, as if there’s a ratio we can determine more or less scientifically — (A) number of residents in a condo (B) storeys high that’s (C) metres from a major transit line produces demand for (D) number of parking spaces. Throw in more math to factor in the configuration of one- and two- and three-bedroom units, the distance from employment nodes, whatever you like, but the end result will be a formula you can plug a bunch of numbers into at one end and get a number at the other end that tells you how many private parking spots you need to include.

The trouble is, well, just about everybody would take a parking spot if it were free. Maybe you need it now, maybe you’ll need it after you have a kid, maybe you don’t expect ever to need it but you’ll have it just in case or as a reserved spot for visitors. But if it’s free, of course you’ll take it.

But what if the spot costs $5,000? $15,000? $25,000? Or just $1,000 but you have to pay that every year? It’s actually an even more complicated affair than Holmes’s email makes it out to be.

Regardless, the city’s philosophy, if it’s going to use the parking supply to discourage driving, will be to have not-quite-enough parking, and that will lead to people who are annoyed that there isn’t quite enough parking. That annoyance is the point.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2014/...g-holmes-says/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 12:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City council paves way for wider suburban driveways

By Michael Woods, OTTAWA CITIZEN February 26, 2014 7:16 PM

OTTAWA — New rules passed by city council Wednesday will allow for wider driveways in the city’s suburban communities.

The new rules apply to suburbs outside the Greenbelt, and are aimed at alleviating the problem — common in areas such as Stittsville and Barrhaven — of two-car families having to park one vehicle on the street. Cars parked on the street can make driving and snow removal more difficult.

“This is about allowing people to enjoy their own properties in a livable fashion,” said Barrhaven Coun. Jan Harder, who supported the changes.

The new rules allow the parking space on driveways to be widened, in most cases, by 1.8 metres, or about six feet. But they also limit curb cuts to those already permitted in current zoning laws. Curbs are an essential part of draining water from heavy storms.

“This direction will have the effect of maintaining existing curb cuts to their existing widths, thus directing the owners of any widened driveways to ‘fan out’ the driveway from a narrow (typically, a single-car) driveway entrance to a double-wide space further inside the property,” according to a city memo written this week.

Clarifying the rules would also remedy the problem, the city hopes, of people paving more of their front yards than they’re allowed, which can create additional problems such as too much stormwater run-off.

According to city statistics, two- and three-car households are the norm outside the Greenbelt. Inside the Greenbelt, most households have one car or none.

Coun. Rainer Bloess, whose ward includes some of the city’s eastern suburbs, said the new changes are “an admission of failure of the design of our suburbs” and not an all-encompassing solution to the problem. He also worries about stormwater run-off.

“Basically we’ve designed suburbs a certain way, and now we’re finding out that people have more cars than our planners ever said they would and there’s a shortage of parking,” he said. “All of a sudden, people are widening their driveways illegally, then we’ve gone back and made them unwiden.

“Hopefully we learn from this,” he added. “Don’t make the assumption that these people are all going to be one-car families.”

Beacon Hill-Cyrville Coun. Tim Tierney also pointed out there should be clear direction for people moving into new suburban neighbourhoods what they’re allowed to do with their driveways.

With files from David Reevely

mwoods@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/michaelrwoods

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...191/story.html

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 7:21 PM
National Capital Region

Councillors’ Forum to explore suburban development challenges
22 April 2014
Media Advisory
Ottawa – A Councillors’ Forum will be held on Thursday, April 24, 2014 to define and discuss planning and development issues for new suburban communities in Ottawa.

Councillors from the suburban wards of the city will take part in the discussion, along with City Planning and Growth Management staff and representatives of the development industry.

The Councillors’ Forum is part of the Building Better and Smarter Suburbs study project being undertaken this year by Planning and Growth Management. The forum follows up on last fall’s public consultation where City staff received input on future suburban development from residents.

Information from both events will be combined into a report on the project’s principles and goals to be considered by Planning Committee on May 13. Recommendations on how to create better, more liveable suburbs are expected to be made to Committee and Council in November.

Date: Thursday, April 24, 2014
Time: 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 11:44 PM
National Capital Region

A little vague and definitely last-minute. A forum "to define and discuss planning and development issues for new suburban communities" seems rather broad and lengthy for an hour and a half. Just defining the issues could easily take up the full time.

I mean seriously, what is this for? Meet and greet time for suburban councillors to renew contacts in the development industry in time for the upcoming election?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

A little vague and definitely last-minute. A forum "to define and discuss planning and development issues for new suburban communities" seems rather broad and lengthy for an hour and a half. Just defining the issues could easily take up the full time.

I mean seriously, what is this for? Meet and greet time for suburban councillors to renew contacts in the development industry in time for the upcoming election?
A fig-leaf for their future plans to allow more of the same crappy car-centric low-density single-use 1960s-style residential sprawl that got them elected in the first place.

The VERY LAST people who I want shaping policies around new suburban development, are the incumbent councilors for existing crapurbs. I'd rather have the NCC do it than these morons.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:23 AM
National Capital Region

Vision statement going to planning committee
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=317179

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Vision statement going to planning committee
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=317179
Without even reading it, let me guess: vibrant green space mixed-use density green space green space open space public space space space space space space.

OK, off to read it now.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 5:29 PM

Reviving an old thread because I don't know where to stick this. But, found this video interesting.

Staircase requirements are getting in the way of increasing density. NA requires two sets of stairs and a connecting corridor where other countries frequently don't.

https://youtu.be/iRdwXQb7CfM?si=uTefBQMRPh-TCXIX

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawacurious View Post
reviving an old thread because i don't know where to stick this. But, found this video interesting.

Staircase requirements are getting in the way of increasing density. Na requires two sets of stairs and a connecting corridor where other countries frequently don't.

https://youtu.be/irdwxqb7cfm?si=utefbqmrph-tcxix
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 4:27 AM

^^ Watched that video and was pretty impressed by the brief look at the building in Seattle.

I Googled it and found it has a website that includes the complete floor plans. Very cool and clever design. https://capitolhillurbancohousing.org/building/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues