HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 4:50 PM
comin' home again

I love the proximity to the Cell.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 2:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

all talk of national politics, including barack obama and the DNC temporarily relocating to chicago should go in a different thread.

all talk about the 2016 olympic bid should go in the 2016 olympic bid thread.

all talk of the potential CME/NYMEX merger should go in the CME/NYMEX merger thread.

this thread is for disucssion of any and all non-highrise urban development anywhere in chicagoland.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
* posts deleted *

all talk of national politics, including barack obama and the DNC temporarily relocating to chicago should go in a different thread.

all talk about the 2016 olympic bid should go in the 2016 olympic bid thread.

all talk of the potential CME/NYMEX merger should go in the CME/NYMEX merger thread.

this thread is for disucssion of any and all non-highrise urban development anywhere in chicagoland.
What if we want to talk about all three--

wait for it--

IN THE SAME THREAD?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:20 PM

The pace of suburban activity has fallen to a near standstill. I've been waiting for the Focus Development TOD project in Palatine to start for a year now. I just called, and they've pushed groundbreaking out again to this fall. If they launch on that date, they'll be 18 months behind their original schedule, which to me sounds like a large hit to a firm's bottom line.

Another delay is better than a cancelation, but I'm starting to worry about the health of this one. Hopefully Focus can ride this out.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
The pace of suburban activity has fallen to a near standstill. I've been waiting for the Focus Development TOD project in Palatine to start for a year now. I just called, and they've pushed groundbreaking out again to this fall. If they launch on that date, they'll be 18 months behind their original schedule, which to me sounds like a large hit to a firm's bottom line.

Another delay is better than a cancelation, but I'm starting to worry about the health of this one. Hopefully Focus can ride this out.
Judging by the construction bid postings at chicagorealestatedaily, there is still a stream of suburban projects in the pipeline, but nothing too major. 50 units here, 100 units there, 20000sq ft retail here.... I think I've seen TODs posted for construction in Oak Lawn and Lombard, among others, as well as a few midrise things out by Oak Brook.

A couple very large office/industrial parks under construction though, like up in Antioch.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
What if we want to talk about all three--

wait for it--

IN THE SAME THREAD?
if that's your desire, then you're on the wrong internet forum.

try this one instead: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if that's your desire, then you're on the wrong internet forum.

try this one instead: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104.
That's okay: I made one within SSP boundaries that should be exempt from the heavy hand.

Stormy, husky, brawling: musings on Chicago

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:56 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

These are installed all along the southern part of the main branch.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 1:53 AM
Show me the blueprints

Jeez, I hope those aren't permanent.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 1:58 AM
Registered

Derr, what's that thing over there by the river where you can walk? Oh, a River...walk? Man, these Chicagoans sure are sophitacated.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

wow, it looks something someone put there for a temporary thing like a county fair, it looks terrible right there on those stairs but whatever.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

I don't think they are that bad actually. I urge you to see them in person. The signs are inviting and without them, I think maybe people would never even walk down there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:54 PM

here's some encouraging news with the central station towers, I'm not sure if Grant Park 3 is approved but it looks like the project is still a go!!!!

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...tral20.article

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:39 PM
Urbane observer

Grant Park 3 & 4 were approved--in principle--by Plan Commission yesterday. More specifically, the PD was amended to raise the height limits to 780 and 900 feet respectively. The actual final designs will be approved administratively.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 8:50 PM
tilted & shifted

Grant Park 4? But it hasn't even been designed...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 9:54 PM

^^^ exactly, they just ammended the terms of the planned development as Mr. Downtown said, the design will be approved when the project is reviewed for zoning approval.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 9:55 PM
Urbane observer

Exactly. This puzzled one of the commissioners, too, who asked where the elevation drawings were. The action was simply raising the height limits in the PD, which had been administratively increased (as a minor amendment) from 400 feet to 650 feet and then to 750 feet. So things like Central Station's purchase of the air rights over Indiana Avenue (for the cantilevered part of the tower) weren't even discussed.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:23 PM
Registered

^ Alliance, there's your "in" to fight the design without fighting the height: Go complain about the shadows cast on the sidewalk from the cantilever.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:17 AM

Kinsgbury Plaza recently installed a little riverwalk as well. It continues past tthe Eastbank Club and ends at the Kinzie Street bridge.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Exactly. This puzzled one of the commissioners, too, who asked where the elevation drawings were. The action was simply raising the height limits in the PD, which had been administratively increased (as a minor amendment) from 400 feet to 650 feet and then to 750 feet. So things like Central Station's purchase of the air rights over Indiana Avenue (for the cantilevered part of the tower) weren't even discussed.
It really is amazing how alderman don't understand the least bit about zoning, building, or, more generally, planning. And yet, that is their only real power.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development