HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:51 PM

For anyone curious about the Dayton Building's history, Winnipeg Downtown Places has a pretty interesting rundown. It actually housed a small department store until the early 1980s. As biguc and TV have pointed out, it is architecturally significant within the local context:

http://winnipegdowntownplaces.blogsp...-building.html

The building IMO is very attractive, and has great potential. Unfortunately not much has been done to improve the building or attract tenants that could improve the building's image. I can't help but think that it is hampered by the fact that it is owned by a small local businessman who may not have the time, money or inclination to turn the building into something better than what it is. (It's the same story with the O'Calcutta store next door... both buildings were likely snapped up in the 90s when you could buy downtown property dirt-cheap, and now both landlords can wait until some big-time developer drops a bundle of cash on their doorsteps.)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
For anyone curious about the Dayton Building's history, Winnipeg Downtown Places has a pretty interesting rundown. It actually housed a small department store until the early 1980s. As biguc and TV have pointed out, it is architecturally significant within the local context:

The building IMO is very attractive, and has great potential. Unfortunately not much has been done to improve the building or attract tenants that could improve the building's image. I can't help but think that it is hampered by the fact that it is owned by a small local businessman who may not have the time, money or inclination to turn the building into something better than what it is. (It's the same story with the O'Calcutta store next door... both buildings were likely snapped up in the 90s when you could buy downtown property dirt-cheap, and now both landlords can wait until some big-time developer drops a bundle of cash on their doorsteps.)
Thanks, that is interesting. As biguc and tv have pointed out, this is an architecturally significant building, and it could probably look a lot better (closer to the original vision) with a little care.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:20 AM

They should start with tearing down that tack 4play banner

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 6:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:

The article you link to has a neat rundown of how a department store, four completely different bars, a various other things. At this point, its pretty hard to blame the landlord/tenants if absolutely nobody could make a go of it. Now perhaps if we could get more people living downtown the demand for commercial space would eventually go up enough to fill this place. However, that's probably a long way off, so in the mean time I'd be all for replacing the largely abandoned building with pretty much anything. Perhaps something residential...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Nice shot - it will be interesting to see the building with all its still unfinished elements: historic facade/front, yellow fin and colour, windows, and the much lighter-looking Glasshouse beside it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
The article you link to has a neat rundown of how a department store, four completely different bars, a various other things. At this point, its pretty hard to blame the landlord/tenants if absolutely nobody could make a go of it. Now perhaps if we could get more people living downtown the demand for commercial space would eventually go up enough to fill this place. However, that's probably a long way off, so in the mean time I'd be all for replacing the largely abandoned building with pretty much anything. Perhaps something residential...
Honestly, call me crazy, but this could be a great location for a grocery store. Something mid-sized, possibly independent (or even a NoFrills/Price Chopper) would work, it's a pretty huge space. The second floor loft is quite large also, they could use the existing kitchen as a deli/butcher. Also, it's a GREAT location: right on Portage, lot's of residential around, and on one of the city's busiest bus roots. And, if there's that huge basement too, that could increase capacity a lot.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Honestly, call me crazy, but this could be a great location for a grocery store. Something mid-sized, possibly independent (or even a NoFrills/Price Chopper) would work, it's a pretty huge space.
Yeah, that would be awesome! The only trouble is a grocery story would need to span more than one floor so some pricey renos would be needed. But forget independent- downtown actually already has plenty of small-intermediate independent places to get your organic herbs or halal lamb or whatever. That's not the problem. What we don't have is a good old fashioned big box grocery store for decently priced one-stop family shopping (ie. Sobeys, SuperStore, etc).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:46 PM

And they need delivery space on the main floor. If the major grocery chains can't come in and drop off a semi trailer full of the next days stock order, it gets too expensive to supply them out of the back of a 3 ton truck.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:43 AM

It could make real sense for a grocery store to go in there if it was feasible, and allowed the building to preserve its architectural integrity.

I really like the design of Glasshouse, looking at the model - hopefully the exterior turns out as nice as it appears on that, having taken into account climate factors etc. While people aren't spending the kind of money they do in Japan in WPG, the exterior finish can have a defining influence as these Tokyo buildings show. It could, hopefully, look great and contrast nicely/complement the hotel.

http://jennyp12.files.wordpress.com/...65_diorext.jpg

http://fotozone.photoshelter.com/image/I000024Pmvj.SYuM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:27 PM

Maybe an interesting view of the ALT building from the Woodsworth

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Maybe an interesting view of the ALT building from the Woodsworth

Rather have 3 remand centres then more stucco building like the Alt. Sorry still think it looked better when it was just concrete.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 5:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

reman has 2 walls of stone not all glass

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
reman has 2 walls of stone not all glass
Actually 4 walls due to its design. And the rest is limestone. Not STUCCO like the ALT.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:19 AM

Cool design for a jail.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:37 PM

Ottawa is getting an ALT Hotel as we are, but apparently the corporate parent, Groupe Germain, is now planning another project there, this time a more upscale version under the Le Germain flag. The project shown is roughly half hotel, half condos.

If CentrePoint takes off and the ALT Hotel does well, I wonder if something like that could be in the cards for Winnipeg?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Ottawa is getting an ALT Hotel as we are, but apparently the corporate parent, Groupe Germain, is now planning another project there, this time a more upscale version under the Le Germain flag. The project shown is roughly half hotel, half condos.

If CentrePoint takes off and the ALT Hotel does well, I wonder if something like that could be in the cards for Winnipeg?
Would be nice for P&M

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:20 AM

I think I'm the only one here who likes the ALT going up here. There is a big difference between like and love mind you. However, I think it contrasts nicely with our other collection of buildings.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I think I'm the only one here who likes the ALT going up here. There is a big difference between like and love mind you. However, I think it contrasts nicely with our other collection of buildings.
I guess like is a relative term. The look doesn't offend me, and I like the idea of densification in Winnipeg's existing footprint rather than constantly expanding it. Is it a great work of art? No, but that's fine.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 11:07 PM

^ pretty accurate statement. still plenty of room for improvement though, we really don't know what this building looks like yet. the "accessories" haven't been revealed we are just dealing with a rather meh core at the moment

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan