HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Yup,seems pretty senseless to let that land sit when at the very least a new connection (bus-way) to Pembina could have been built in conjunction with the new stadium, very short sighted. Would a parking structure on the land nearest the stadium and Chancellor that would serve both students and those attending events at the stadium really put dent in the plans for the golf course lands. You really have to wonder about the leadership at the U, city of Winnipeg (that's a given) and provincial govt. to be so out of touch with the needs even of something so simple as getting people in/out of a stadium and having the ability to park near the new facility.

When logistics are already driving away and turning off your customers (fans) you pretty much have to come up with new solutions to what on the surface looks very easy to do of course all involved will no doubt drag out, prolong, over-study and over complicate the process which is the way things are done around here!
We will have to be patient as plans proceed with the old golf course. It will be years before it is fully developed.

New parkades will not make little it any difference. The current ones don't even sell out and it will just create another bottleneck leaving the stadium as traffic on Pembina will be backed up.

Having a transit loop in the north end of the stadium and a dedicated BRT from downtown to the University Campus will make a big difference though. Only 5 years before we get that.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the venue is a perfect 22,000 seat stadium.....it operated flawlessly last night.

Disappointed that they have put up metal screens on so much of the concourse to block the view....why build an open concourse if you are going to screen 70% of it off?

Add to the list of issues for low attendance:

Thursday nights suck....enough with the 'cottage crowd'....the Bombers need to stop believing their target market is 70 years old.

Access may be better as far as traffic lines, but it is still a 5-6 hour ordeal to go to a game, door to door....when it starts at 7:30, that makes for a late school night.....when the team is bad or the weather is threatening, I'm sure many people decide its not worth it...you see a lot of people walking a long way....that was my fear all along with the location...die-hards will go no matter what but you make it inconvenient and the casual fan who is critical, will stay away...its not one single issue, but if the conditions are not perfect it makes people think twice.

being better will help for sure, but long term its not the best scenario for a new stadium.
One of the biggest problems I see is the complete lack of organization for pedestrians leaving the stadium in terms of safe and dedicated crossings. We started taking the bus this year, and IMO it's only a matter of time before someone gets hit by a bus post-game on Chancellor Matheson or University Crescent. Total free for all, very dark, nobody really taking control, every once and awhile a cop tries to stop the pedestrians crossing and waves a bus through but a group of people in the crowd don't realize and walk right in front of a moving bus. Matter of time until there is a serious injury or death the way it is now, and this is with crowds that are up to 10,000 below capacity.

IMO they need to set up at least 3-4 temporary crosswalks for the Bomber games in addition to the lights at University and CM, and the crosswalk on University Cres by the stadium.

Of course there will be people who just do their own thing regardless, but the majority will take the safe option in the dark.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 10:01 PM

I totally agree on the Chancellor situation. The Bombers are aware of it, it was mentioned in the news recently by Wade Miller I think. Need to do something. Of course once the transitway get's there, it'll be a non issue. But that's not for another full 5 seasons.

I remember last year during sellouts, the crowds out there were just HUGE. A sea of people going every which way. The crowds standing on the curb were 15-20 people deep, stretched out all the way down Chancellor. Actually quite impressive how many people ere there.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 10:58 AM
BANNED

They should have built the Stadium at the Red River Ex grounds. Would have been a smarter move.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:33 PM

In terms of crowd control I noticed a lot of temporary fencing along Chancellor when I was leaving the game last week. I think long term this fencing could become more permanent as a way of controlling the pedestrian/vehicle interaction points.

In the near term I also wonder if the park and ride buses will start unloading into a fenced compound to check that payment has been made. The system of unloading the bus and having a wall of volunteers try to contain the crowd while collecting fares did not seem well thought out. I also wonder why they don't have volunteers selling tickets pre-boarding in the parking lots for the park and ride and then again on the bus. In theory by the time you hit the stadium grounds everyone on board should have paid.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of crowd control I noticed a lot of temporary fencing along Chancellor when I was leaving the game last week. I think long term this fencing could become more permanent as a way of controlling the pedestrian/vehicle interaction points.

In the near term I also wonder if the park and ride buses will start unloading into a fenced compound to check that payment has been made. The system of unloading the bus and having a wall of volunteers try to contain the crowd while collecting fares did not seem well thought out. I also wonder why they don't have volunteers selling tickets pre-boarding in the parking lots for the park and ride and then again on the bus. In theory by the time you hit the stadium grounds everyone on board should have paid.
Wow, didn't know that about the park and ride. I assumed they collected the fare while loading the buses at the park and ride locations.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:31 PM

Is that what happening? I didn't pay for the park and ride to the exhibition game and didn't make it to the home opener. Fares should be collected before you're let on the bus at the park and ride, not at the stadium. That's just stupid.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 4:44 AM

IGF now available on Google Street View.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:37 PM

I noted that the sellout crowd last night at IGF was announced at 33,234, so I presume this is the new "official" capacity following the displacement of some seats to make way for new loges?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:51 PM

Maybe I'm being a little OCD here, but I don't get why the lower deck sections have so many varying widths. I also can't fathom why the stadium has a staircase right on the 55 yard line, effectively eliminating the most prestigious seats in the stadium. I do like IGF, but there are some real head-scratchers in its design.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Maybe I'm being a little OCD here, but I don't get why the lower deck sections have so many varying widths. I also can't fathom why the stadium has a staircase right on the 55 yard line, effectively eliminating the most prestigious seats in the stadium. I do like IGF, but there are some real head-scratchers in its design.
... Because it was designed by someone whose experience is limited to car dealerships, condos, and strip malls?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:32 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
... Because it was designed by someone whose experience is limited to car dealerships, condos, and strip malls?

You can't forget that he "designed" a now defunct hotel for Creswin, and some NFP Winnipeg HQ's. That means he's qualified for sure.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:45 PM

The design had to be approved by board members of BBB Stadium Inc so its just not the design firm that does not know what a football stadium should look like.

There again there is the open air press box that is now being fixed so maybe they don't know what one looks like

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
There again there is the open air press box that is now being fixed so maybe they don't know what one looks like
It has been fixed... it looks good now. I wish they'd apply the same fix to the hideous boxes that hold the TV and radio crews, along with team and league officials.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It has been fixed... it looks good now. I wish they'd apply the same fix to the hideous boxes that hold the TV and radio crews, along with team and league officials.
Agreed, it looks like when old apartment blocks "upgrade" their windows to those cheap white plastic ones.

Also on your OCD statement, what the hell is up with the randomly place Bomber (and Bison) logos. Why can't it have some sort of cool design like in any NFL stadium (the cost of printing the banner is the same regardless)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Also on your OCD statement, what the hell is up with the randomly place Bomber (and Bison) logos. Why can't it have some sort of cool design like in any NFL stadium (the cost of printing the banner is the same regardless)
Haha, yeah, I noticed that too. Good idea, lousy execution. And it's not like a nice design in that case would have cost any more.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
One of the biggest problems I see is the complete lack of organization for pedestrians leaving the stadium in terms of safe and dedicated crossings. We started taking the bus this year, and IMO it's only a matter of time before someone gets hit by a bus post-game on Chancellor Matheson or University Crescent. Total free for all, very dark, nobody really taking control, every once and awhile a cop tries to stop the pedestrians crossing and waves a bus through but a group of people in the crowd don't realize and walk right in front of a moving bus. Matter of time until there is a serious injury or death the way it is now, and this is with crowds that are up to 10,000 below capacity.

IMO they need to set up at least 3-4 temporary crosswalks for the Bomber games in addition to the lights at University and CM, and the crosswalk on University Cres by the stadium.

Of course there will be people who just do their own thing regardless, but the majority will take the safe option in the dark.
What they need to do is put up a (nice) fence along the entire sidewalk of Chancellor Matheson that only opens up at a few locations. This is for a few reasons:

1) Obviously it will eliminate people crossing wherever they please and reduce risk of accident.

2) It will force pedestrian traffic to flow along key corridors.

3) Most importantly possibly... It should open up with 2 small spaces at each of the Park And Ride Stops, where the doors of a bus will be located, enough for two busses to cue at a time at each stop. Right now ppl are standing in the middle of the street to line up at busses that won't open their doors because they're not at the cue point, but they can't get there because there's ppl all over the road.

Also, once my bus to Hydro on Taylor took Waverley and it was 10000x faster, but other bus drivers refuse to leave their designated route.... why do they insists on all buses using Pembina?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:25 PM

Good thread it gives and gives. Still talking about Investors Goup Failure Field a year and a half later.
Can't wait for the New Mosaic so we can bury this one.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
What they need to do is put up a (nice) fence along the entire sidewalk of Chancellor Matheson that only opens up at a few locations. This is for a few reasons:

1) Obviously it will eliminate people crossing wherever they please and reduce risk of accident.

3) Most importantly possibly... It should open up with 2 small spaces at each of the Park And Ride Stops, where the doors of a bus will be located, enough for two busses to cue at a time at each stop. Right now ppl are standing in the middle of the street to line up at busses that won't open their doors because they're not at the cue point, but they can't get there because there's ppl all over the road.

Also, once my bus to Hydro on Taylor took Waverley and it was 10000x faster, but other bus drivers refuse to leave their designated route.... why do they insists on all buses using Pembina?
Agree on the last point. We take the 160 on the way home, and the bus stops on Pembina to pick up regular passengers! Even though the bus is fully loaded. Don't know why they can't just run the buses from the Bomber games as charters. Since it's free post-game, people also use the bus to get to their cars on Pembina, rather than walking for 10 mins. I wish they'd run some express buses that do not stop until Jubilee or something for people who have a longer bus ride. It's extremely inefficient.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:34 AM

Quote:

3) Most importantly possibly... It should open up with 2 small spaces at each of the Park And Ride Stops, where the doors of a bus will be located, enough for two busses to cue at a time at each stop.
Something like this might work, although you'd need the segregated cycle lane and pedestrian lane to be reversed (pedestrians closer to the traffic side to facilitate them boarding buses, and to avoid peds crossing into cycle traffic trying to get to their bus):

Having wide bushes and low fences would achieve what you were talking about in terms of pedestrian flow, without giving the feeling that you're "trapped" in a fenced-in alley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan