HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 3:18 AM

I wish some of the better "fringe" mayoral candidates would run for council. I think people are somewhat delusional if they expect to win a mayoral election in a city the size of Winnipeg with basically zero political experience, connections or record to run on. Everyone wants to be Nenshi, but even he has a Masters in Public Policy from Harvard and was essentially an outside critic of Calgary's civic government for a decade.

Falcon-Ouellette is running a good campaign in my opinion, but he'll be lucky to finish 4th ahead of Havixbeck. Same goes for David Sanders (probably our best comparable to Nenshi, minus the age difference) and the guy who just registered yesterday. Seems to have some good energy and concerns about city services that would look great in a candidate for a council seat, but no political experience = no chance against candidates with political machines behind them like Judy and Bowman.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:08 PM

I'm trying to pay attention to this election. But it's same old's, same old's. Which one is the best of the worst. At least there are no business heavy candidates, like Katz.

Steeves = fielding. No thanks.
Havixbeck not pulling though.
Oulette will get the heartstrings vote, nothing more.
Bowman may get the vote if he doesn't blow it.
Please don't let Judy get the Orange vote by default!
The rest don't stand a chance.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm trying to pay attention to this election. But it's same old's, same old's. Which one is the best of the worst. At least there are no business heavy candidates, like Katz.

Steeves = fielding. No thanks.
Havixbeck not pulling though.
Oulette will get the heartstrings vote, nothing more.
Bowman may get the vote if he doesn't blow it.
Please don't let Judy get the Orange vote by default!
The rest don't stand a chance.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...ce=d-top-story

Fielding endorses Steeves for Mayor

By: Aldo Santin
Posted: 10:27 AM

The Steeves campaign got a boost this morning from one of city council's hard right-wingers.

Coun. Scott Fielding said he is endorsing Gord Steeves for mayor, explaining he likes his plan to save the city's crumbling infrastructure.

"I'm here to officially endorse my good friend and colleague Gord Steeves for mayor," Fielding said from a make-shift podium set up near the duck pond at Assiniboine Park.

Fielding, the St. James councillor who is not running for re-election, said he likes Steeves' policy platforms.

Standing in the drizzling rain, Steeves and Fielding complimented each other as individuals of integrity.

Steeves said he appreciates Fielding's endorsement and support.

Commenting on the weekend's stabbing homicide, Steeves said Winnipeggers have to take back their city.

Steeves said he expects people will be drawn to the downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods as they look for more affordable housing and the attractions they can find there.

Go figure.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to pay attention to this election..
I find it more akin to a car crash, I't hard to look away.

I hope for the best and try to pay some attention to it but a true leader willing to make drastic changes seems like such a distant dream. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The angry Black Rod backlash crowd is about the only constituency left that takes Steeves seriously. He might as well double down on that platform since he's not going to win any other way.
Add Bartley Kives to that list.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...urce=d-tiles-1

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:56 AM
BANNED

Would someone please ask nutbar Gord Steeves to take a drug test!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...urce=d-tiles-2

Yeah Gord police drones will make Winnipeg a safer place

Can't wait for Gord's latest, he gets funnier and funnier as the race goes on.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 2:00 PM
North End Troublemaker

Dr. Robert F-O did an AMA on reddit's Winnipeg forum last night... If anyone is interested in reading it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/com...con_ouellette/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:13 PM

^ yes, Winnipeg's new crime fighting strategy.

sunmedia

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:28 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Dr. Robert F-O did an AMA on reddit's Winnipeg forum last night... If anyone is interested in reading it.

Apparently Nenshi came out of the closet to Dr Falcon.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post

I really wish he would've run for city council instead of mayor. He has some great ideas, but I feel like the public's lack of familiarity with him is holding his campaign back.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 9:01 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-1

Steeves denies asking Bowman not to run
By: Aldo Santin
Posted: 2:42 PM

Gord Steeves says only one candidate can stop Judy Wasylycia-Leis from becoming mayor — and he hopes voters make him their choice.

While making a campaign promise Friday to eliminate aggressive panhandlers, Steeves elaborated on statements he released Thursday night in light of two polls that show Wasylycia-Leis has a comfortable lead over all the other candidates.

Steeves said the polls show the three centre-right candidates — himself, Brian Bowman and Paula Havixbeck — are splitting the vote, and enabling Wasylycia-Leis to win.

Steeves said he’s concerned the damage Wasylycia-Leis could do to the city because of her ties to the NDP, adding she can’t be stopped if three centre-right candidates remain in the race.

Bowman dismissed Steeves comments as typical of old-style, divisive politics. Havixbeck said she wouldn’t be bullied by Steeves into quitting.

Bowman said earlier Friday that Steeves had asked him not to run. Steeves denied it, saying he approached Bowman for his support before he was aware Bowman — who openly talked about running for months — planned to run.

Steeves said he isn’t encouraging Bowman or Havixbeck to drop out, adding voters who share his views about the NDP have to coalesce around one centre-right candidate if Wasylycia-Leis is to be defeated.

"I’m clearly in second place," Steeves said Friday, ignoring the poll findings that show he and Bowman are tied for second. "For me to become the mayor of Winnipeg, I have to consolidate my base of support. I really meant nothing more than that."

Steeves said he’s not planning to drop out, adding he hopes voters who are lining up behind Bowman and Havixbeck will switch sides and join him.

"I am trying to convince voters in the City of Winnipeg to support my candidacy."

Centre-right?! How about right-wing nut case Steeves. So maybe figure out what the citizens actually want. His wife doesn't help one bit. Even if he didn't say those things, he's married to her. Him and her are one. What she says, he says. That lost the election for him.

Steeves is delusional.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 9:19 PM

It's weird because Steeves is flip-flopping all over the place, as he has for the last several years, and that should be aggravating the exact group of people he is pandering to with his sudden sharp right turn. However, it appears to be working. He's on the cusp of an endorsement from the Sun IMO and he's polling way higher than I think most people expected.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 PM

Havixbeck won't quit mayoral race.....

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 4:56 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
I really wish he would've run for city council instead of mayor. He has some great ideas, but I feel like the public's lack of familiarity with him is holding his campaign back.
If he was running for city council, he would have a better chance at winning a seat. He definitely needs that experience, but if he did ran for council, and won, then later ran for mayor, he would definitely have more of that experience for him to have a better chance for that mayor's chair.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:09 PM

I have a had time taking Steeves seriously. What a maroon!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
agreed 100%, he would've been a good city councillor, but hope he does steal some left wing votes from JWL.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:07 PM

So I've been following the election but have missed some information. The Free Press said today in an article that Bowman pledged last week to eliminate property taxes altogether. Is that correct? How the hell would they do that?

"Okay we eliminated property taxes everybody! Here's the new we need to pay for everything tax!"

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
So I've been following the election but have missed some information. The Free Press said today in an article that Bowman pledged last week to eliminate property taxes altogether. Is that correct? How the hell would they do that?

"Okay we eliminated property taxes everybody! Here's the new we need to pay for everything tax!"
I believe he wanted to eliminate property tax and replace it with a municipal sales tax in hte 3 to 4% range.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 9:07 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:

http://metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/11...alternate-tax/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 9:27 PM

Thanks guys. How would that impact tourism? People see we have 20% sales tax. Woah! Local folks would have more to spend. Be taxed more on their coffees and Big Macs. Give and take I guess. But the whole point of it is to generate more money. So that extra money has got to come from somewhere, ie: my pockets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan