HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

I am a bit surprised to hear that Pipeline is a priority, though. It's an annoying light because it's the only one for a long stretch, but that corner is not particularly busy. I would think it should be the lowest priority out of all the currently signalized intersections on the Perimeter.
No quoting me on this one, it is just my feeling.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
^ Ah OK, that rings a bell regarding the construction technique... I couldn't remember if it was going to 6 lanes but it seems like that is off in the distant future.

There are some stretches of the Perimeter that do seem busy enough to justify going to 6 lanes now... the stretch of 101 from 59 to 7 seems like it has almost full-on urban traffic volumes now, as is 59 from 101 to the Birds Hill area. Those seem like a likely candidates for going to 6 lanes, although I'd imagine that won't enter the conversation until the long-overdue 101/59 interchange is built.
It would be much better to take out the traffic lights on 59, than to make it 6 lanes.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
The north Perimeter just got a new overpass and interchange at 190 and one is one the way (presumably) at 59. Nothing else on the immediate horizon, or at least nothing that has been made public. I'd say that the next priority for the north Perimeter should be an overpass and interchange at Dugald Road.
Pretty sure HYW 6/101 is on the books for a interchange related to CentrePort.

Gunn Rd/Perimeter is also a high accident intersection and likely on the list for grade separation too.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Pretty sure HYW 6/101 is on the books for a interchange related to CentrePort.

Gunn Rd/Perimeter is also a high accident intersection and likely on the list for grade separation too.
Am I correct in thinking that once CPT is extended east it will connect with Gunn and then be extended over the floodway to Oakbank as the proposed Oakbank Corridor? If so I would imagine the interchange would be built at time of Oakbank Corridor construction...and could see a set of lights being tossed up at the intersection until that time.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Am I correct in thinking that once CPT is extended east it will connect with Gunn and then be extended over the floodway to Oakbank as the proposed Oakbank Corridor? If so I would imagine the interchange would be built at time of Oakbank Corridor construction...and could see a set of lights being tossed up at the intersection until that time.
It's interesting that you say a bridge going across the floodway to Oakbank as there was nothing even as a conceptual plan in the all the floodway design documents that I have seen on the internet about having another bridge crossing.

All the flow design was based on the bridges that existed or were rebuilt. I guess if they put a suspension bridge it would not impact the 700 year max flow.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:51 PM

Interesting comment cllew. How do they handle flow capacity at the other bridge locations? Just widen the channel?

In response to Reignman's comment, I'm not sure if this is even on MIT's radar. Could be wrong. but I think it's just part of the wish list from the Greater Winnipeg planning district, or whatever it's called. But you are correct in assuming that CPT will run along the Gunn road alignment. Widening is planned for the south side, with an access road for businesses on the north side. I'm assuming the existing road would be the access, with CPT being built to the south.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:36 PM

Not my field of work, but from what I read the channel width, depth and pier design and deck height all have a part in how fast the water flows through the floodway. That was one of the reasons the old abandoned CPR Lac Du Bonnet crossing by the floodway exit was demolished.

Not only did the Floodway Authority not have to worry about liability if the bridge was still there, they got a boost in high water capacity with the bridge deck gone.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:15 AM

The new four+ lane Oakbank Corridor has been on the wishlist for about 20-25 years now. Hwy 15 (aka Dugald Rd) has far exceed capacity for a two lane highway and desperately needs replacement.

In terms of the Floodway, it is possible, but unlikely, that the HWY 15 bridge would be closed if/when the corridor opens. Much like how CCW effectively replaced Inkster between 90 and 101. Granted the Oakbank Corridor is likely third in line for the capital region after the Headingley Bypass and St Norbert bypass, with fourth in line being the Selkirk Corridor.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you possibly thinking of the Roblin/100 interchange? The reason I ask is because the Wilkes/100 interchange is fairly old...I vaguely recall reading that it dates back to around the time the Perimeter was built in the early 60s or thereabouts. It would have been an important structure given that it crosses the CN main line.

The nearby Roblin interchange aligns with the late 70s timeframe you mentioned, though.
Wilkes is the oldest. Was built in 1959. It's date stamped right on the west side of the overpass. Was refurbed in the 90s

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 1:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Wilkes is the oldest. Was built in 1959. It's date stamped right on the west side of the overpass. Was refurbed in the 90s
Yes, it's Roblin I was thinking of.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:01 PM

MIT posted an updated listing of projects, etc on their website. Direct link to PDF is here.

After a quick skim through, it has a lot of the items talked about on SSP listed there. Also included an illumination of entire Perimeter Highway, from what I could tell. Which is interesting. I'll take another look through over lunch t see if there's anything else I can pick out of there. The listing is a bit weird as it breaks everything down by regions, dates etc. So you really have to read through it..

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
MIT posted an updated listing of projects, etc on their website. Direct link to PDF is here.

After a quick skim through, it has a lot of the items talked about on SSP listed there. Also included an illumination of entire Perimeter Highway, from what I could tell. Which is interesting. I'll take another look through over lunch t see if there's anything else I can pick out of there. The listing is a bit weird as it breaks everything down by regions, dates etc. So you really have to read through it..
That's an interesting document. Considering the level of public interest that exists in infrastructure issues, it's about time that MIT released a PR document like that which explains a bit about the state of our highways and what's going to be fixed.

I scanned the list quickly myself and it doesn't look like there are many true improvements (new roads, additional lanes, interchanges, etc.) planned other than the stuff involving the Perimeter that has been discussed here. It's almost all routine maintenance stuff like resurfacing, replacement of culverts, that sort of thing. When you remove the improvements to the Perimeter, very little is left.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 11:04 PM

that article pisses me off record spending yet they fix what doesnt need to be fixed like the highway into altona, they talk about safety the peremiter highway can take left turns onto dirt roads mit is a joke everything in this province is a joke the if the cities and province worked together doing 50/50 maybe shit would get done

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 11:32 PM

Any idea when the kenaston blvd extension from north town road to the perimeter will pen and what kinda of intersection we will see at kenaston and the perimeter. Cause the traffic lights are up and running along kenaston

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:02 AM

it will be at grade with lights along with more lights going up on 330 "safety" the only way an interchange will be built there is when the st norbert by pass is going up, and given by flooding every year ill die or move before it happens

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
it will be at grade with lights along with more lights going up on 330 "safety" the only way an interchange will be built there is when the st norbert by pass is going up, and given by flooding every year ill die or move before it happens
I wonder if the Province might try and put some flood-proofing spin on the St Norbert by-pass. If the roadway is build up it could act as a secondary level of protection for St Norbert in the case flooding does occur.

I think the St Norbert by-pass is on the 10-20 year project list right now. It took about three years to build the CentrePort Way interchange which is likely similar in scope to what is needed for the St Norbert by-pass. Considering the interchange at CentrePort is fully configured for the Headingley by-pass yet construction hasn't started that gives you an idea the earliest start date for St Norbert. HWY 1 west of Winnipeg has long been on the dangerous road list.

Edit: Considering the project in the document list planned work from 2015/2016 to 2019/2020 and there is not even a sniff of the St Norbert by-pass that pretty much confirms it is more than five years out. Also interesting in the preparation work for the 330/100 interchange is included.

Last edited by CoryB; Sep 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:52 PM

Open house for the 101 59 design plans on Sept 24 East St. Paul Legion from 5 to 8 pm

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I wonder if the Province might try and put some flood-proofing spin on the St Norbert by-pass. If the roadway is build up it could act as a secondary level of protection for St Norbert in the case flooding does occur.

I think the St Norbert by-pass is on the 10-20 year project list right now. It took about three years to build the CentrePort Way interchange which is likely similar in scope to what is needed for the St Norbert by-pass. Considering the interchange at CentrePort is fully configured for the Headingley by-pass yet construction hasn't started that gives you an idea the earliest start date for St Norbert. HWY 1 west of Winnipeg has long been on the dangerous road list.

Edit: Considering the project in the document list planned work from 2015/2016 to 2019/2020 and there is not even a sniff of the St Norbert by-pass that pretty much confirms it is more than five years out. Also interesting in the preparation work for the 330/100 interchange is included.
There is more to the St Norbert bypass then funds. A lot of the landowners are asking exhorbant amounts for their land. Some of it historic. Some people just refuse to move and don't even want to sell their land to residential. It's honestly a mess and will remain one till the government steps in and just pushes it through.

As for flood prevention. Unless they dam up the La Salle it would be pretty useless.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Open house for the 101 59 design plans on Sept 24 East St. Paul Legion from 5 to 8 pm
Nice! Six structures plus the AT overpass. We'll see how she looks now.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:36 PM

Anybody get caught in the "worlds largest truck convoy" on Saturday around lunch time?

I saw them going in the other direction from me by Dugald rd, and I can imagine the line behind them all through the single lane construction zones on the south and west part of the Perimeter Highway.

It was actually interesting to watch it go by.

Besides some nice looking tractors and trailers,the RCMP had one of their Heritage Black Highway traffic units in the lead as well as numerous unmarked units and some marked traffic units from the city, Manitoba Govt Motor Carrier Enforcement division and a police unit from the RM of Cornwallis (not sure where that is located).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan