HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:05 PM

Building a replacement in the same spot seems foolish to me. Putting a bridge on Arlington may have been the right idea a century ago, but I wouldn't say that it is anymore. Widening McPhillips to 6 lanes from the current 4 would be a sufficient fix, but if that's not enough then serious consideration should be given to a Sherbrook/McGregor overpass. That would at least provide a route that can be used for crosstown travel as opposed to Arlington, which is mainly geared to local traffic in its present form.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The area around the hospital is far too congested for more traffic to be added. I suppose widening McPhillips is the answer.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The area around the hospital is far too congested for more traffic to be added. I suppose widening McPhillips is the answer.
Quite true... the McGregor overpass may be off the table for that reason. The original plan in the 70s called for Furby to be turned into a one-way northbound effectively doubling the capacity of the route. There is no way that would be allowed to happen now (which is ironic because no one ever seems to complain about the existing one-way pairs in the area), so the city would be stuck with Sherbrook only, which as you point out gets quite congested from Bannatyne to Notre Dame.

For what it's worth I don't think it would be a huge loss if the Arlington Bridge were to be replaced by a pair of extra lanes on McPhillips. It's really a minor detour at worst. I wonder if the Arlington Bridge could be kept around economically for another 25 years or so as a AT/pedestrian bridge for those living in the area?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:49 PM

Replacing the Arlington St bridge by only widening the McPhillips underpass would be very short sighted.

McPhillips of either side of the underpass is effectively a four lane road as the curb lane in either direction is a dedicated diamond lane. Currently, Arlington St bridge is two lanes of non-bus traffic.

Another issue with dropping the Arlington St Bridge without a replacement beyond the McPhillips widening is that you are further increasing chokepoints on routes out of the northern part of the city. This would be similar to closing Waverly at the train tracks and telling people to use Pembina or Kennaston as alternatives. Being an underpass there have been instances were it is shut down due to a truck going through without enough clearance. There are other reasons closures might happen too, like a plane crashing into a near by intersection or even a common traffic accident.

The "congestion" around HSC is not bad between Bannatyne to Notre Dame even at peak periods. The larger problems there are the transition from southbound Sherbrook to Notre Dame to southbound Maryland. The traffic issues become much worse south of Notre Dame but that is true for all the routes flowing south through downtown in the evening rush.

As Sherbroke is four lanes and McGregor is four lanes building a four lane bridge that connects them seems to provide the best option for supporting the continued growth and renewal in the north portion of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The "congestion" around HSC is not bad between Bannatyne to Notre Dame even at peak periods.
As someone who is there every day during both rush hours, I beg to differ.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:44 PM

Looking at the city tender page today and it seems that the next block east on my street is going to be one of the lucky few in EK that will be getting partial concrete rehabilitation in 2015.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
As someone who is there every day during both rush hours, I beg to differ.
Been through there at both rush hours daily for about ten years. It is rare for traffic queued at any red light to not have cleared an intersection for the next cycle. A lot of the traffic using the Arligton St Bridge is also coming from/going to HSC.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 11:48 PM

Anybody have any idea why Winnipeg or MB Transportation are not using precast roadway slabs to speed up installation of new routes?

I was on You-Tube and came across a link to Caltrans (California highways dept) installing precast roads and them saying that it cuts the time down by 1/3 as all they have to do is prepare the roadbed as normal and then drop in the factory made roadway, connect the sections and grout the connection access holes with quick setting grout. No waiting for concrete to cure for days on end. There was even a video showing a slab of normal concrete being cut out and a replacement section of this being installed in one 24 day.

This concept has apparently been tested in 9 US states as well as Ontario and Quebec and seems to be promising.

I am sure that Barkman or one of the other precast plants in Manitoba could license the designs and produce the slabs locally to reduce the cost if it took off.

I could see this being used on the Bishop Grandon extension or new highways like Centerport where there are no manhole or water main valve cut outs to fiddle with and no water or sewer lines underneath that may need to fixed in the future to cause a hole to be cut in the pavement.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 1:36 AM

I don't think downtime is as important as cost savings in Manitoba. Besides we only use asphalt for major roadways in Winnipeg now (apparently).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 1:56 AM

apparently precast is also less expensive than pouring on site as they can tension it at the plant and use a thinner slab.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I don't think downtime is as important as cost savings in Manitoba. Besides we only use asphalt for major roadways in Winnipeg now (apparently).
I drive by the Concordia / Molson project and that's all concrete. There is a good chunk there that could have been done with precast as a trial.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I drive by the Concordia / Molson project and that's all concrete. There is a good chunk there that could have been done with precast as a trial.
That was more of a joke based on the CPT and Kenaston extensions being asphalt.

Who knows what goes on at COW and MIT. It might just be some old guy at the top who is more focused on retiring than trying something new. I could be wrong.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 10:51 AM

No I think your right. It seems that both departments suffer from NIH (not invented here) when it comes to trying new things.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:46 PM

Second time in two weeks a truck overturned at that location. Northbound Lagimodiere to westbound Chief Peguis. Going a little fast or bad design? (obviously bad design as it should be an interchange, but I digress)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:00 PM

Looks like that piece of grass could use some soil to level it out a bit. Don'cha think?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:06 PM

^It was meant to be!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:43 PM

Could use a few dozen more flipped over soil trucks along Lag north to help fill in that brutal eyesore of a median/ditch. Between the medians, the gravel shoulders and the overall condition of the roads that is one real ugly stretch. With all the traffic lights there's ample time to notice it too!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:05 AM

After closer inspection, topsoil or asphalt? Asphalt trailer, could be coming from mcasphalt? at lag and dugald.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
After closer inspection, topsoil or asphalt? Asphalt trailer, could be coming from mcasphalt? at lag and dugald.
Looks like topsoil brah!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:49 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They don't make asphalt there, they only distribute liquid bitumen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan