HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Just shows the folly of publicly pushing an official opening date long before you know it's feasible. We've waited this long, they might as well eat a little crow and delay another 6 months until it's completely ready.

What do you tell the national and international media members that show up? "It may not be that great right now, but come back in February and it'll be awesome!"
This could be a viable suggestion, although we know how the delay at IGF played out, although a sports venue, was not received well by the public.

Come back when we're fully open and ready? Either way, If the rumour is correct, It's another kick in the gonads to the entire museum project, and I've been a supporter of the project at least 75% of the time.

rrskylar.. too late, try to embrace it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Just shows the folly of publicly pushing an official opening date long before you know it's feasible. We've waited this long, they might as well eat a little crow and delay another 6 months until it's completely ready.

What do you tell the national and international media members that show up? "It may not be that great right now, but come back in February and it'll be awesome!"
Only in Winnipeg could they screw up an National attraction like this.... 4 Years is it?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:55 PM

Freep says that everything is on pace for an on-time completion of the CMHR.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...269164791.html

It's almost as though that article was written in response to TV's comments regarding potential delays. Perhaps it isn't just Murray McNeill finding story ideas in here anymore

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Freep says that everything is on pace for an on-time completion of the CMHR.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...269164791.html

It's almost as though that article was written in response to TV's comments regarding potential delays. Perhaps it isn't just Murray McNeill finding story ideas in here anymore
I browsed this article earlier today. Sounds positive for the completion and opening date.

Ahhh.. the connections to this forum. It is an interesting dynamic as you already mentioned in regards to SkyCity. The internet is a very up to the minute way to gather information.

Maybe SSP is becoming a legit information gathering source for many internet searches?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 3:39 AM
BANNED

It's almost done. Currently I have a contract there and I can promise you it will open on time. This isn't IGF lol

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:51 AM

Great to hear!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 6:00 PM

Don't know if this has been posted but good to see the building mentioned in the NY Times:

In Transit - A Guide to Intelligent Travel

In Winnipeg, a Museum Honoring Human Rights
By CHARU SURI JULY 7, 2014 4:32 PM

The Canadian Museum for Human Rights — billed as the first museum dedicated to raising awareness of national and international human rights issues — will open on Sept. 20 in Winnipeg….

http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ype=blogs&_r=0

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
It's almost done. Currently I have a contract there and I can promise you it will open on time. This isn't IGF lol
This is what I like to hear, straight from the horses mouth to coin a phrase.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 9:40 PM

For anyone interested in the construction and modelling complexity of this project, this seems to be quite a comprehensive presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPHQ5Y_onx4

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:45 PM

Free Tours during the opening weekend are available starting at 10:00am today (Sept 3)

http://humanrights.ca/event/free-public-preview-tours

http://humanrights.ca/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 2:12 PM

Has anybody toured the museum yet? I would be curious to hear your impressions.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:12 AM

A dress rehearsal for museum was cancelled because there was too much work to be done.

Only four of the 11 galleries will be open this weekend.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ning-1.2767174

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Has anybody toured the museum yet? I would be curious to hear your impressions.
Yes. It's not as bad as the media is making it out to be. All the galleries are there. Just a few are missing some features. It's not like an empty lvl like the media makes it sound.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:30 AM

It a little disappointing that only 4 of the galleries are available for the official opening. Kinda like the Tim Hortons Field of museum openings.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 PM

That does sound disappointing. It might have been better if they had just delayed the opening.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:40 PM

No more delays, its been over a decade now. Open the doors and be done with it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 PM

I'm beginning to enjoy the discussion regarding the CMHR. It's become a lightning rod for controversy.

Hopefully this translates into a grace period where people just have to see it and experience it for themselves. This goes both ways. Those who hate it and those that love the concept.

Both of these groups will need fodder to continue thier attacks on it or thier praise for what has been accomplished by it's unveiling and completion.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:06 PM

^ oh.. I'd really like to here more from those not living in the city, that line of discussion is becoming stale and old.

Let's here from those who don't see it daily on the drive to work when it opens. Unbiased or as much as possible without the internet to formulate there own opinions.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ oh.. I'd really like to here more from those not living in the city, that line of discussion is becoming stale and old.

Let's here from those who don't see it daily on the drive to work when it opens. Unbiased or as much as possible without the internet to formulate there own opinions.
I'm from Saskatoon and was recently in Winnipeg for a conference. I thought the building was pretty impressive (though I'm still not sold on the tower). I thought, oddly enough, that the back side (i.e. the non-glass side) was the nicest. We also had a presentation from the museum curators and it sounded pretty impressive in terms of the content and exhibits. I work in the field of human rights so I have a particular interest in and knowledge of this stuff. Plus I love architecture. So I might be critical about some of the content (i.e. their decision to only include genocides recognized by the Canadian parliament) but I have a real interest in the subject and form. Looking forward to visiting the inside some day.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I'm from Saskatoon and was recently in Winnipeg for a conference. I thought the building was pretty impressive (though I'm still not sold on the tower). I thought, oddly enough, that the back side (i.e. the non-glass side) was the nicest. We also had a presentation from the museum curators and it sounded pretty impressive in terms of the content and exhibits. I work in the field of human rights so I have a particular interest in and knowledge of this stuff. Plus I love architecture. So I might be critical about some of the content (i.e. their decision to only include genocides recognized by the Canadian parliament) but I have a real interest in the subject and form. Looking forward to visiting the inside some day.
The architectural style is of course a very personal opinion. That you find the North face of the building most appealing but the tower less than appealing is also understandable.
I find the south, glass portion and the tower appealing in my mind. We're not being critical, in any sense. Discussions on form and style in architecture are crucial and expected, actually welcome.

Your involvement in Human Rights and what's contained and represented in the museum is what I'm extremely interested in. With your background on many of the key issues, your visit and your feelings on it will be greatly anticipated by my self. This is what I've been waiting for for some time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan