HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:44 AM

http://urbanize.la/post/arts-distric...on-still-alive

Metro still kicking around plans for new infill stations at 1st and 6th Streets in the Arts District.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:27 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

About time this gained more steam. You talk about a legit game-changer for the Arts District and Downtown in general. This is an obvious and necessary precursor to a Whittier extension.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:25 PM

^Amen to that.

Good heavens can you imagine a 30 mile subway line from Santa Monica to Whitter via UCLA, Century City, Beverly Hills, Mid-Wilshire, K-town, Westlake, DTLA, Boyle Heights, East L.A. and Montebello?

That line alone could generate a quarter million daily trips...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:42 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
I can't definitively answer your question about helmets on bikes vs. on motorcycles, but they certainly put their users in very different situations, due to differences in vehicle size, speed, and expected position in the roadway. In the end, people on motorcycles simply face a much higher risk of head injury than those on bikes (see link at bottom).

The main issue is that cycling rates do go down dramatically with mandatory helmet laws (a 30-40% overall decline after Australia implemented one in the 90s). Putting aside the environmental argument, given the strong correlation between high cycling rates and lower collision rates, those who continue to bike will almost surely be placed at greater risk. Furthermore, I don't think we actually have the data to indicate that any substantial portion of injuries actually suffered by cyclists would be prevented by wearing helmets, at least enough to offset those that might arise because of lower cycling rates that a mandatory helmet law would lead to.

Personally, I think the arguments are summed up pretty well in this article:
http://www.howiechong.com/journal/20...s#.VO1e0MaYUZU

So I hope everyone here will sign the petition against SB192. Sorry to be so pushy but it's really important that Senator Liu gets the point.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
Hello all,

After lurking for some time now I decided to finally register an account. I'm a bike advocate and really want to promote the growth of our nascent bike culture. As the saying goes, as California goes so goes the nation. Well, there a new bike law being proposed by CA senator Carol Liu, SB192, that threatens to mandate helmets and bright reflective vests for all bike riders regardless of age. Currently only riders under the age of 18 are required to use helmets, and no-one is required to wear vests at night.
https://calbike.org/stopsb192/?page=...ion/sign&sid=3
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 5:25 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Sounds like a great idea!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 6:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

If bicyclists have to wear helmets and vests then motorcyclists have to wear full body bubble suits. It's only fair and sensible.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:07 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Don't forget mandatory helmets for car drivers. That actually make more sense than mandatory bike helmets.

Over here, helmets are mandatory for everyone under 18 on bikes. The result? not really fewer injuries, but clearly fewer kids riding bikes.
http://www.ecf.com/news/what-happens...dish-cyclists/
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:27 PM
life is good

21 hurt after idiot driver drives onto tracks toward approaching train
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/28/us/tra...-la/index.html

Maybe this will lead to more grade separation. Not happy wince I ride this train frequently (half of the time with my son...)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:51 PM

The Expo Line crash is just tragic, and particularly scary to me too since I take it to and from USC several times a week. It might be hard to increase grade separation on the already-built line, but I do think that this highlights an urgent need to address the lawless driving (illegal turns, red light running, blocking the box) that is rampant throughout the city. I think there's a clear case for the return of red light cameras along major transit routes like the Expo Line.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ They could always add crossing gates.

I generally am one who favors more grade-separated rail, but an incident such as this one isn't an example I'd use to support my argument. I'm fine with at-grade LRT so long as it runs on an old dedicated ROW. The Gold Line along Marmion Way and the Expo Line along Flower Street are not okay with me, however.

On a totally different note, I'm very pleased to see locked gates now at certain Metro Rail stations. It's a sign that our system is maturing. The decision to switch to an all-electronic fare system is also commendable. I'm not certain of this, but I think there was a time when one could only purchase a TAP card at select locations. Now they are available at every Metro Rail station ticketing machine.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Mar 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ They could always add crossing gates.
On a totally different note, I'm very pleased to see locked gates now at certain Metro Rail stations. It's a sign that our system is maturing. The decision to switch to an all-electronic fare system is also commendable. I'm not certain of this, but I think there was a time when one could only purchase a TAP card at select locations. Now they are available at every Metro Rail station ticketing machine.
Maybe my sarcasm detector is offline, because what you wrote would have made sense two years ago. Today it seems like a Rip van Winkle comment.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:37 AM

http://urbanize.la/post/metro-propos...ion-rail-lines

Metro is considering swapping out the color names for a letter-based system.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:12 AM
Sonoma Strong

I like it

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:36 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I prefer names that give it a more local flavor (e.g. Wilshire, Expo, Crenshaw, Foothill, etc.). But numbers are better than colors.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 2:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is this for real?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:06 PM
BANNED

So the Expo line would take over part of the Gold Line making one continous E/W line?

Also what's the point in the L-Line? Simply an LAX connector?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:52 PM

Unfortunate how the Lincoln corridor (essentially Silicon Beach) from LAX to Santa Monica is left out of the rail plans, but it is what it is. It's not like traffic on Lincoln is a currently a complete disaster or anything...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:13 PM

A Green Line, or possibly an "L Line," extension up Lincoln is part of the long term plan, albeit without any funding source identified.

Unfortunately, the proposed Sepulveda/LAX Line will eat up all of the political momentum for the near term future.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
A Green Line, or possibly an "L Line," extension up Lincoln is part of the long term plan, albeit without any funding source identified.

Unfortunately, the proposed Sepulveda/LAX Line will eat up all of the political momentum for the near term future.
It's a shame because there's a lot of new tax revenue being generated in that part of town, and the lack of transit is a major drawback.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation