HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 5:43 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Fantastic pictures as usual Freki...
Question for you regarding architecture. Denmark has so much great classical and modern architecture, I'm curious what your preference is? Are the best public spaces still the older areas? There is a certain ambiance the classic spaces have that is hard to duplicate even in function.
My wife was an exchange student in Hinnerup and wants to make a return trip next summer...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:46 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Fantastic pictures as usual Freki...
Question for you regarding architecture. Denmark has so much great classical and modern architecture, I'm curious what your preference is?
First of all sorry for the late answer..

Personally I tend to like the oldest the most as I find it to have a lot more charm and warmth..

That said certainly prefer to live in modern buildings.. I also think modern buildings indicate progress to me so even if the style isn't as great as in the past they are a symbol of progress and development..

( I haven't covered it much here, but there is a HUGE building boom in the city - basically the city is doing it's best to keep up with the population growth, so in typical Copenhagen fashion there a lot of projects reclaiming ocean into modern areas.. )

Quote:
Are the best public spaces still the older areas? There is a certain ambiance the classic spaces have that is hard to duplicate even in function.
Denmark is a pretty old place, so the natural crossroads and hubs around greater Copenhagen where settled 1000s of years ago, so there's isn't really anywhere truly new where people gather in large numbers naturally.. even in the suburbs the hubs are old villages, so it's hard to find modern areas with public spaces where people naturally go..

The modern districts are typically added to the city through reclaimed land, so while those areas are nice, they are not natural gathering points for people.. (other than stuff like malls, train stations, stadiums, concert halls etc.. )

Do I think we could make squares and public spaces that could match the old ones.. no not really, I think we tend to over-design but in typical Danish design with out too much flash, so I doubt it would even come close..

Quote:
My wife was an exchange student in Hinnerup and wants to make a return trip next summer...
Cool!

I've never been, but nearby Århus is a pretty cool city

Stenbjerg - Northern Jutland

Inner City District - Copenhagen

Svendborg - Funen Island

Klitmøller - Northern Jutland

Vesterbro District - Copenhagen

Last edited by FREKI; Mar 9, 2019 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Blissfully removed, ungrateful cheapskate says hi

I have been shot at, survived mortars and rocket attacks, heck even sustained a fairly serious back injury along other scratches while supporting your nation abroad - and I'd gladly do it again if need be.. but does that mean I have to give up my job in law enforcement to be actively serving in case of a future conflict - or could it be that like last time I sign up when there is a need, just as our Kingdom dedicates funds when there is a need..

Remind me again what it is you have done that I should be grateful for?

We uphold the military force we feel is necessary for the situation we are in, just as we always have as a founding member of NATO and the 5th highest per capita spender.. when the situation changes so does our spending and focus..

Remember that all males here between 18 and 60 are required by law to serve if needed - and out of those ~2million over 500.000 have undergone training and are specialized in a function!

oh yes hi random photo pulled from the internet. this is the internet you know. but ok ok even if it is true, i'm not going to go tit for tat with your military adventures that you needed to share with us. i could, but i won't, because service has nothing to do with your country's annual funding responsibilities for nato.

again, your own country agrees with trump and has upped its nato $$$ share a bit, so obviously it agrees. you are in a minority opinion in your own area.

Quote:
At the end of the day it's our necks on the line, so perhaps you might want to change your focus to issues where your neck is on the line, such as the social situation in the US resulting in the high crime rates and murder rates, or perhaps your broken health system that has caused the US to be the only developed nation with a declining lifespan.. or how about the lacking infrastructure...
i dk what you are talking about here, other than it has nothing to do with funding your fair share of nato instead of the usa funding the majority of it and with a much higher share than the rest for so many decades.

Quote:
You started out by claiming our nation was the result of a low military budget - well if you truly believe that is the case perhaps it's worth learning from that and direct some of your resources towards your own nation rather than having a military spending that basically matches the rest of the planet, while your people suffer poverty, crime, untreated health issues and crumbling infrastructure..
i did not start out saying your nation was a result of a low military budget. i have no idea that you even have to bother much with a military or what its budget is. what i said was all euro nato countries have to pay more of their fair share for nato. nato is the joint affair. and will be even more so, and more in europe's control as well, if its to last. of course what you do with your own military, such as it is, is your own business. i have no idea if its low or high expense for your area.

Quote:
At the end of the day we are running our nation as we want to and in the interest of our citizens, the US can whine and cry and your orange chief can huff and puff, we're still going to run our nation as we see fit and remain a nation that inspires others, not a nation that makes people laugh or shake heads their heads at..
no one said anything about how your country is run.

Quote:
When the world needs us we will be there - just as we have for decades - heck as a reservist I'd gladly sign up for a tour to stabilize Venezuela or desarm Iran, just as I did Iraq in the old days - but at this moment the needs the world have from us are covered by the budget we have dedicated, so why in the world should we spend money on the military when it's better spend elsewhere?

As you lay your bed, so shall you sleep!

unfortunately, the world does not work in a right on time business model. thats why when you sleep tonight you rest more easily knowing nato has your back. you just have stop your own whining and pay a little more fairly for it.

and of course, very, very nice new pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Boh, Freki, we only need our own European military gathered in a single, powerful and crushing army, then that kind of boring debate is done.

We'll see what the US says once you no longer need them.
Hé hé.

indeed this is true. you see freki? even the jeune french know nato and usa are still needed today. they don't forget so easy over there.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:31 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
First of all sorry for the late answer..

Personally I tend to like the oldest the most as I find it to have a lot more charm and warmth..

That said certainly prefer to live in modern buildings.. I also think modern buildings indicate progress to me so even if the style isn't as great as in the past they are a symbol of progress and development..

( I haven't covered it much here, but there is a HUGE building boom in the city - basically the city is doing it's best to keep up with the population growth, so in typical Copenhagen fashion there a lot of projects reclaiming ocean into modern areas.. )

Denmark is a pretty old place, so the natural crossroads and hubs around greater Copenhagen where settled 1000s of years ago, so there's isn't really anywhere truly new where people gather in large numbers naturally.. even in the suburbs the hubs are old villages, so it's hard to find modern areas with public spaces where people naturally go..

The modern districts are typically added to the city through reclaimed land, so while those areas are nice, they are not natural gathering points for people.. (other than stuff like malls, train stations, stadiums, concert halls etc.. )

Do I think we could make squares and public spaces that could match the old ones.. no not really, I think we tend to over-design but in typical Danish design with out too much flash, so I doubt it would even come close..
Interesting. Classic tends to be my preference, so I wanted to see if it was just my own bias. Makes sense on the layouts and old villages being hubs.

Quote:
Cool!

I've never been, but nearby Århus is a pretty cool city
Wow, I would have imagined you might have been to every town in the country, maybe check it out some time....

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
oh yes hi random photo pulled from the internet. this is the internet you know. but ok ok even if it is true, i'm not going to go tit for tat with your military adventures that you needed to share with us. i could, but i won't, because service has nothing to do with your country's annual funding responsibilities for nato.
You want others to serve for you and you want others to pay for you.. and yet you seem to feel entitled to make demands from foreign nations

Again I must ask, when have Denmark not been there when needed internationally?

We doesn't owe NATO a thing and we have NO responsibility to do anything.. our defense is our problem and we are the ones who stands to lose if we aren't up to the task in case of war.. so how about you let us worry about that and put your focus on the risks in life you face... after all you live in the most unsafe NATO country with the largest social issues and worst crime rate led by a documented crazed narcissistic mad man!
The safety of Danes should be the least of your concerns!

Quote:
i dk what you are talking about here, other than it has nothing to do with funding your fair share of nato instead of the usa funding the majority of it and with a much higher share than the rest for so many decades.
Huh...

You do know that the US isn't funding NATO right - it is funding it's own military, just as all the other members do.. as a nation with over 240 million more citizens than the next nation in line and as a major global aggressor by choice it would be a very strange world if the US didn't stand out in terms of funding wouldn't it..

Quote:
i did not start out saying your nation was a result of a low military budget.

You said:
"this is a good example of what nice things you can have when you dont have to give a care in the world about your own self defense"

So yeah.. covfefe mate!

Anyways.. twilight zone aside here's a few photos of the old Kingdom..

Rubjerg - Northern Jutand

Old Town - Copenhagen

Rebild - Northern Jutland

Rundetårn "Round Tower" ( anno 1637 ) - a 382 year old observatory that today offers one of the best views of Old Town Copenhagen ( well worth a visit! )

Sønderborg - Als Island

Last edited by FREKI; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Classic tends to be my preference, so I wanted to see if it was just my own bias. Makes sense on the layouts and old villages being hubs.
I'm very open to modern areas, but it's kinda "too late" here..

I like the new districts and they are mixed developments and on paper does it right, but the charm of the old areas they do not match..

I think nations like Japan and Hong Kong have done pretty darn well all things considered.. but on the otherside we have the UAE that certainly does not.. so it looks to be a hard thing to do right and Danes doesn't really seem to have the right mindset to do it right from the start.. we are too scared to going big and loud, so it all ends up with functionality and cleanliness as primary focus and while that works it's not the recipe for truly great areas..

Quote:
Wow, I would have imagined you might have been to every town in the country, maybe check it out some time....
While Denmark isn't a huge nation there's still tons of places I have not been to..

Technically I have passed through Hinnerup by train a couple decades ago, but it's a very small and pretty unknown place for folks on my island, so it's a place I have yet to visit

Last edited by FREKI; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 2:50 PM

Gudhjem - Bornholm Island

Frederiksberg District - Copenhagen

Native wildlife - Amager Strandpark - Copenhagen

Næstved - Zealand Island

Islands Brygge District - Copenhagen

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 6:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
You want others to serve for you and you want others to pay for you.. and yet you seem to feel entitled to make demands from foreign nations

Again I must ask, when have Denmark not been there when needed internationally?

We doesn't owe NATO a thing and we have NO responsibility to do anything.. our defense is our problem and we are the ones who stands to lose if we aren't up to the task in case of war.. so how about you let us worry about that and put your focus on the risks in life you face... after all you live in the most unsafe NATO country with the largest social issues and worst crime rate led by a documented crazed narcissistic mad man!
The safety of Danes should be the least of your concerns!

Huh...

You do know that the US isn't funding NATO right - it is funding it's own military, just as all the other members do.. as a nation with over 240 million more citizens than the next nation in line and as a major global aggressor by choice it would be a very strange world if the US didn't stand out in terms of funding wouldn't it..

You said:
"this is a good example of what nice things you can have when you dont have to give a care in the world about your own self defense"

So yeah.. covfefe mate!

nope, it would be nice to have no responsibilities and to let you worry about yourselves, but reality is you aren't up to it on your own, so despite your naive beliefs everyone else but you agrees nato is still important. obviously this is so. for another example, do you think there is not a hot cyber war going on right at this moment? you may well be a part of it, spreading your discord here, who knows? so you do owe nato more funding, because that is what nato battles together among all the other things. 2% is the moral goal. you know it. you own country knows it. all of the nato allies know it:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nato...st-spend-more/

and as always -- very nice pics!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:57 PM

^as long as the US that doesn't even pay to the United Nations Human Rights Council or the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization it is just about the last nation to cry about the spending of other nations! Especially regarding global stability! And without any service-record the same goes for you!

As have been covered many times here by now we feel our defense is proper for the current global situation - and we are in the top when it comes to NATO spending on a per capita level - so I suggest you get over it and focus on your own life and the risk it faces rather than whine about a far away Kingdom your orange leader cant even locate on a map!

Amager Strand - Copenhagen

Svendborg - Funen Island

Bovbjerg - Western Jutland

Sønderborg - Als Island

Christianshavn District - Copenhagen

Last edited by FREKI; Mar 5, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 6:34 PM

How do you guys manage to store power produced by wind turbines?
I kinda forget my related physics classes now, but electricity is sure something hard to store, and of course renewables widely depend on weather fluctuation, so it would take massive central batteries to deal with natural constraints for some stable supply.

We're planning to gradually switch from nuclear to renewables here, usually taking your country as a model to follow, but it's a serious challenge to us.
Our country is larger and more populous, so we're still facing technical difficulties here.
Not to mention the local nuclear lobby bitterly defending their business. I suspect that's the most severe difficulty.

We won't do what the Germans did anyway. Naive and scared as they are, they closed their nuclear plants to reopen coal ones.
Stupid move. Backward. Coal is the worst.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
How do you guys manage to store power produced by wind turbines?
We don't

On windy days it covers our entire need and we sell excess energy to foreign nations.. ( on average it covers little under half our needs )

We also get energy from solar ( ~20% of national need in peak hours, but only ~3% on average ), as well as natural gas, waste combustion and sadly a tad of oil too.. ( and again excess energy is sold to other nations )

When the price is low we typically buy Norwegian hydro or Swedish nuclear energy on less windy days to keep it green instead of burning our own oil..

Quote:
I kinda forget my related physics classes now, but electricity is sure something hard to store, and of course renewables widely depend on weather fluctuation, so it would take massive central batteries to deal with natural constraints for some stable supply.
This is why we haven't invested as much in solar energy as we have wind, as wind is a constant, unlike the sun..

Storage is something a long of companies are looking into but it's a hard job..
One of the best solutions I have heard is to use the excess energy to pump water up into mountain reservoirs and then use it for hydro energy when it is needed..
Sadly we don't have mountains in Denmark, so not much of a solution down here..

Quote:
We're planning to gradually switch from nuclear to renewables here, usually taking your country as a model to follow, but it's a serious challenge to us.
Our country is larger and more populous, so we're still facing technical difficulties here.
Not to mention the local nuclear lobby bitterly defending their business. I suspect that's the most severe difficulty.

We won't do what the Germans did anyway. Naive and scared as they are, they closed their nuclear plants to reopen coal ones.
Stupid move. Backward. Coal is the worst.
I fully agree with you - a modern nuclear plant is one of the absolute best options when it comes to green energy!

Denmark is a nuclear free zone - ( old cold war choice ) - so we don't allow nuclear plants, but we gladly buy nuclear energy from Sweden when the need is there or the price lower then our own production

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 11:20 PM

Klitmøller "Cold Hawaii" - Northern Jutland

Råbjerg - Northern Jutland

Dragør - Amager Island

Østerbro District - Copenhagen

Last edited by FREKI; Mar 9, 2019 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 4:37 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
^as long as the US that doesn't even pay to the United Nations Human Rights Council or the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization it is just about the last nation to cry about the spending of other nations! Especially regarding global stability! And without any service-record the same goes for you!

As have been covered many times here by now we feel our defense is proper for the current global situation - and we are in the top when it comes to NATO spending on a per capita level - so I suggest you get over it and focus on your own life and the risk it faces rather than whine about a far away Kingdom your orange leader cant even locate on a map!

incredible that expect the usa to pay for even more when you still dont pay your own share, which is 2%.

that’s without even noting you have been in arrears since the beginning of your defense arrangement.

btw trump is not the only one, this has been sought by all ever since nato was formed:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...g-vstan-me.cnn

Last edited by mrnyc; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
incredible that expect the usa to pay for even more when you still dont pay your own share, which is 2%.
That you keep referring to a national defense budget as a "share" shows just how little you understand the topic..

As for "expectation" to pay, then I would expect everybody with just the most basic of schooling to understand the value of Human rights, Education and Science ( spending your orange leader cut completely! ) and why such issues are worthy of funding regardless of defense or other spending.. ( but then again under-funding in such areas in some nations is likely why we are having this debate and why it's pointless for me to expect understanding on the topic from an isolated teen :| )

Tell you what mate - as the US isolates itself and keeps dropping down the various quality of life lists while the rest of the world soars, then with time you might come to understand why some nations are more reasonable about their spending and focus than fear based idiocracy.. and perhaps by then rather than divert your anger and angst from your own life on Mexicans and Europeans you might just come to realize it's your own votes and choices than shapes your own life and your own nation! ( and how little that nation means to others in the greater picture )

Have a nice life mate!

As a tool to myself to get an overview of the areas I have covered so far I made a map - and I might as well post it here as some may find it interesting!
( I don't have any vacation weeks inside Denmark planned this year, but chances are we'll find a couple weekends or days off to go see some of the not yet covered areas )

Skagen - Denmark's northernmost point - Northern Jutland

Almindingen forest- Bornholm Island

Royal Arena - Ørestad District - Copenhagen

Nexø - Bornholm

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 4:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
That you keep referring to a national defense budget as a "share" shows just how little you understand the topic..

As for "expectation" to pay, then I would expect everybody with just the most basic of schooling to understand the value of Human rights, Education and Science ( spending your orange leader cut completely! ) and why such issues are worthy of funding regardless of defense or other spending.. ( but then again under-funding in such areas in some nations is likely why we are having this debate and why it's pointless for me to expect understanding on the topic from an isolated teen :| )

Tell you what mate - as the US isolates itself and keeps dropping down the various quality of life lists while the rest of the world soars, then with time you might come to understand why some nations are more reasonable about their spending and focus than fear based idiocracy.. and perhaps by then rather than divert your anger and angst from your own life on Mexicans and Europeans you might just come to realize it's your own votes and choices than shapes your own life and your own nation! ( and how little that nation means to others in the greater picture )

Have a nice life mate!

meanwhile, back on topic and ad hominem nonsense aside, perhaps someday you will learn that you can't just say you will show up when you think you need to, that in reality bad things are happening constantly, and so you have to step up your share of preventative defense spending to keep it at bay.

now you would think no one would have to remind a citizen of a country such as yours, that basically gave up in less than a day the last time one of your european neighbors came knocking at the door, about something like that.

so i would say have a nice life right back at you, but no need you are obviously having one, in the largest part courtesy of your uncle sam. you are welcome.

and as always, nice pics for sure.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 8:47 AM

Quote:
you can't just say you will show up when you think you need to, that in reality bad things are happening constantly, and so you have to step up your share of preventative defense spending to keep it at bay.
First of all WE HAVE BEEN SHOWING UP when needed.. why you have been actively ignoring all the times I asked you to mention when we haven't lived up to our task or not showed up!

Second - our defense IS up to the task in terms of our national defense as well as our founding role in NATO!

( as a nation that weekly repels Russian planes from our airspace and as a nation that controls the access to and from the Baltic sea we are well aware of our risks and the dangers of our situation )

Quote:
now you would think no one would have to remind a citizen of a country such as yours, that basically gave up in less than a day the last time one of your european neighbors came knocking at the door, about something like that.
We learned from our mistake of neutrality 70 years ago - ( a thing that served us well doing WW1 ) - why we are a founding NATO member - why we have a conscription system to this day - why our forests are full of military weapons depots - why we have a force of 30.000 people who despite normal jobs and lives have their weapons and gear at home and in case of conflict have specific tasks they will perform autonomously regardless of the state of the nation or defense forces ( wink wink ) - why about 1/3 males have been trained in a specific military function and by law are required to serve in case of conflict.. etc etc..

Quote:
so i would say have a nice life right back at you, but no need you are obviously having one, in the largest part courtesy of your uncle sam. you are welcome.
Uncle Sam has been losing virtually all wars for the last 65 years and made the world a very unstable and conflict filled place.. all while undermining it's own social system and population's wealth... so you really shouldn't feel so entitled!

Our lives comes down to our productivity, social and political system - if you want to take any blame for anything here I can give you obesity

No honestly - being 100% serious the US is an example to us in a direction we don't want to go, so it actually works great as a contrast and is a very commonly used place to put things in perspective both for citizens and politicians alike..

The sad part is it's without a doubt the US is the nation with the world's greatest potential - but sadly from our perspective have a tendency to make all the wrong choices and pays a hefty price for that..

Anyways - this is really getting pointless - you feel entitled and I disagree - you then ignore facts and try to troll and I poke fun at our contrasting worlds and we rinse repeat..

How about we just agree to disagree?
( the less time I spend on this thread the more I can spend on an upcoming thread where I will show a lot of great places from around the world, including the US )

Henne Strand - Western Jutland

Kalvebod Brygge District - Copenhagen

Bulbjerg - Northern Jutland

Inner City District - Copenhagen

Sønderborg - Als Island

Last edited by FREKI; Apr 6, 2019 at 9:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:33 AM

Øresund Bridge ( 7,8km bridge and 4km tunnel ) linking Denmark to Sweden with rail and freeway

Ørestad District - Copenhagen

Hammershus castle ruins ( anno ~1200 ) - Bornholm Island

Vejle - Southern Jutland

Ribe - Southern Jutland

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 3:01 PM

Got a new camera the other day ( Sony RX10 IV ) with a 24 to 600mm lens - giving me a LOT more optical zoom than I got out of my A6000.. so today I went out to test it..

All images are from today..

Copenhagen Habour

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:00 PM

Today was the Danish holiday 'Constitution Day' so I spend some of my day off going for a walk along some of the habour districts..

Copenhagen used to be quite a large industrial habour, but that changed with modern truck based shipping and distribution, so now the city has a ton of prime real-estate that is rapidly being turned into modern residential areas..

"Metropolis building" - Sluseholmen district - Copenhagen

Public habour bath - Sluseholmen District - Copenhagen

Floating restaurant - Sluseholmen District - Copenhagen

Havneholmen District - Copenhagen

Kalvebod Brygge District - Copenhagen

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 7:14 AM

'Dannebrog' ( the Danish flag - and the world's oldest national flag ) turned 800 years yesterday
Story goes that it fell from the sky doing a military campaign in Estonia turning the tide of a battle into a victory for Denmark ( accepted theory is that it was a knights cape blown around in the wind ).
Traditionally Danes had fought under the Raven banner as a people, but as the smaller Danish Kingdoms were united under a single king, the need for a national symbol increased and the cape from the sky fitted the needs perfectly. ( personally I would happily switch back to the old Raven banner tomorrow )

Old Town - Copenhagen

Amager Strandpark - Copenhagen

Præstø - Southern Zealand Island

Helsingør - Northern Zealand Island

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos