HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:12 AM

Freezer/Flower Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

We've seen various Freezers here before, and the Hollywood Flower Pot.

But I don't think we've seen that one of the Freezers became as the Hollywood Flower Pot. According to Philip Mershon, the Freezer at 1124 N Vine had become the florist by 1930. The Freezer was listed in the 1929 CD at 1124 N Vine; other sources corroborate Mershon's date and address for the 'Pot.
According to Jim Heimann there was a Freezer at an "original" location of 751 S Alvarado, just 1/2 block from Langer's Delicatessen (and the Famous Cafe). Now you tell me a Freezer turned into the Flower Pot at 1124 N Vine, a block down from Villa Elaine?

Now I'll never get that damn Disney jingle, "It's a Small World After All" out of my head.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:01 AM

If Weegee lived today......

He'd be developing film at CVS. He sure wouldn't be getting those crime photos he was known for.

Some nutcase went into a medical office and shot a doctor in Newport Beach this afternoon. He surrendered to police as they arrived. I'm no CSI, but I suspect any pertinent evidence is right there in that 2nd floor office where the shooting occurred. It's not like they are trying to solve a who-done-it.

But that doesn't stop NBPD....or any LE agency these days...from shutting down the entire building - AND parking lot. I think they gone a bit too far on this ever-expanding crime scene business.

How many fantastic noir crime scene photos have been posted in this forum? Hundreds?...thousands? But good luck to those people 50 years from now getting any gritty photos from this era. Too bad. All they'll get is images of yellow police tape.

Last edited by malumot; Jan 29, 2013 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:06 AM

Los Angeles - 1899

shorpy.com

Is this the Arcade Depot? I don't see the big palm tree.

shorpy.com

Last edited by FredH; Jan 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:22 AM

E_R and the gang. Congratulations on 600 pages, according to my browser! Have enjoyed learning and sharing so much from this forum. You guys rock! So much lost L.A. History has come back to life through these pages. Keep up the good work!!! alanlutz in Orange, CA

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 7:17 AM

Thanks Jon Paul. The address had eluded my searches. What a great building.
Will be checking it out this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
Hey Mark,

Welcome back! I know that ghost sign quite well as it is one of my very favorites. It is on the side of the beautiful Lady Liberty Bldg. (actually the Brunswick-Balke-Collen building c1914) at 843 So Los Angeles. The mosaic of Lady Liberty was added in 1987 when the building was converted to garment showrooms. A quick look on the web shows that Quon-Quon Import and Export was located there, at least, during the 1930's and 40's.

Lady Liberty

Google

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
(large image - scroll right)

shorpy.com

Is this the Arcade Depot? I don't see the big palm tree.

shorpy.com

O.K. What is this flying saucer doing out there?

shorpy.com

See this post (from which this same image is now missing):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8293

and these:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8317

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8295

and rcarlton's beautiful rendition:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8297

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 AM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

A companion photo. Unfortunately, no location or date.

The street is wide enough for street cars, but there is no evidence of tracks other than what may have been buried. Brick and concrete roadway on a steep incline, along with commercial parking garages might be strong clues. Guessing angle parking was optional or acceptable. It certainly was understandable.

http://imageholicsanonymous.blogspot...at-donuts.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
A different perspective of same location? Just a little higher and darker.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3674

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasUrantia View Post
We have seen this fire before. I believe the Car Show was relocated to the Shrine Exhibition Hall, that we see in these photos. The trucks were eliminated due to lack of floor space and of course there were no custom cars as they had all burned to a crisp. A lot of nice cars went up in smoke that day. The city fathers considered an ordnance banning car shows in 'tents'. I second that motion.
The source notes may be misleading. I took them to mean that the pictured cars were destroyed after the photos were taken. I have seen other images and notes of the same gist, although it is possible these notes are incorrect. Some showrooms are permanent structures, others are not so permanent.

It makes sense that the next show would have been relocated, but are you saying that the promoters/dealers went on with the same '29 show? No short term supply?

Lapl

Quote:
Car being taken inside of the building to be in an automobile show of new cars. Shortly after these pictures were taken the showroom burned down causing the destruction of all the vehicles, 1929.
Lapl

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
How many fantastic noir crime scene photos have been posted in this forum? Hundreds?...thousands? But good luck to those people 50 years from now getting any gritty photos from this era. Too bad. All they'll get is images of yellow police tape.

Quote:

LAPL

bitterqueen

Another kind of house-moving: Virginia Hill leaving her house at 810 N. Linden, Beverly Hills, after her main squeeze Bugsy Siegel was shot to death there on June 20, 1947, spoiling the chintz.

All Lapl

See

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:56 PM

A Long Beach Hotel that could have rivaled the Ambassador without the Lido Beach?

Quote:
The Virginia Hotel, on the south side of Ocean Avenue at Magnolia, opened on April 1, 1908, and was the social center of the area for many years. Originally named the Bixby Hotel, it was renamed the Virginia Hotel after a construction accident in 1906 resulted in fatalities. The hotel did not survive the stock market crash of 1929 and closed on October 10, 1932. The building was demolished after the March 10, 1933 earthquake. The architects were John C. Austin and Frederick G. Brown. The landscape architect was Belle S. Angier.

All fromLapl

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:00 PM
Closed account

The show goes on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
The source notes may be misleading. I took them to mean that the pictured cars were destroyed after the photos were taken. I have seen other images and notes of the same gist, although it is possible these notes are incorrect. Some showrooms are permanent structures, others are not so permanent.

It makes sense that the next show would have been relocated, but are you saying that the promoters/dealers went on with the same '29 show? No short term supply?
The 1929 Auto Show was re-staged a day after the tent fire. The dealers still had enough inventory to show new cars. They had to eliminate the 'custom cars' because they were burned in the fire. They also eliminated the trucks and the parts suppliers because of lack of space at the Shine Hall.

Here is the link for LA Times article and photos about the fire and the re-staging of the 1929 Auto Show.

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/11...929-auto-show/

Last edited by DouglasUrantia; Jan 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:07 PM

RE: 1899 panorama of L.A., apparently, air quality was an issue even back then.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 7:52 PM

Beverly Wilshire Hotel

Quote:
Thank you so much for this one GW. It reminds me of why I dislike arching traffic-signal stanchions, as they junk up the view, and how much I miss roof-top signs.

gsv

Re "unavailable" or even "forbidden" images on previous pages. There seems to be a great many more now. This distresses me greatly as so much valuable work has gone into this thread over the years. Is there any way to correct it? I try to remember to run everything through Picassa, rather than linking directly, but sometimes forget (not that my posts ever reach the pinnacles achieved here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
A different perspective of same location? Just a little higher and darker.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3674
Thx for this one too CAL, I do like my daily dose of glamour.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Re "unavailable" or even "forbidden" images on previous pages. There seems to be a great many more now. This distresses me greatly as so much valuable work has gone into this thread over the years. Is there any way to correct it? I try to remember to run everything through Picassa, rather than linking directly, but sometimes forget.

Keeping every image you post on your own hosting is the only way to avoid this. Never, ever hotlink images, folks. Just don't do it. With Photobucket and Imageshack accounts freely available, there's no excuse for images disappearing because the original host changes its URLs.

It's also a big discouragement to new readers to find so many images gone. It becomes more frustration than it's worth, particularly when they see there are still 500+ pages yet to view, most if not all with useless posts now because the images are no more. They see it's a waste of time slogging through hundreds of posts that have lost their graphics, and just give up.

It's really too late for most of us to go back and fix these gaps, too. Some of our most important contributors have hundreds, even thousands of posts on this thread. It's a shame to have put so much time and energy into writing, only for their posts to lose their informational value because the hosts they linked to changed their image URLs. It didn't have to happen, but to go back and correct everything now would be too monumental a task. A little forethought, and this all could have been avoided.

-Scott

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 8:32 PM

Biltmore Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
When was the Biltmore Hotel addition built T2? I haven't been able to find a date.
__
Big Orange Landmarks says the addition was built just five years after the original hotel, making it 1928 (and meaning the valet-parking scene in Chinatown wasn't an anachronism). http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.c...ore-hotel.html

The hotel, the theater and the addition were all built in pretty short order apparently. However, BOL also claims that the original hotel displaced the Young Women's Boarding Home,
which we know isn't true.

1923, taken from the grounds of the State Normal School on Normal Hill:

bigorangelandmarks

BOL also mentions the empty offices on the westside of the addition, but doesn't explain further. The BOL post is from 2007.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 8:40 PM

Birdseye view of the Santa Monica shoreline north from Castellammare Drive, C.C. Pierce, ca.1932

Roland West's house is under construction and appears to be nearing completion. In three years, Thelma Todd is going to be found dead in that garage and no one is going to be able to come up with a satisfying explanation of how that happened. Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Café is down below or will be, just out of sight, hidden by the slope of the hill, where the pedestrian bridge meets the palisade. In the distance, Castle Rock and Villa Leon guard the southern approach to the Malibu.

USC digital archive/Title Insurance and Trust, and C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Re "unavailable" or even "forbidden" images on previous pages. There seems to be a great many more now. This distresses me greatly as so much valuable work has gone into this thread over the years. Is there any way to correct it? I try to remember to run everything through Picassa, rather than linking directly, but sometimes forget (not that my posts ever reach the pinnacles achieved here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Keeping every image you post on your own hosting is the only way to avoid this. Never, ever hotlink images, folks. Just don't do it. With Photobucket and Imageshack accounts freely available, there's no excuse for images disappearing because the original host changes its URLs.

It's also a big discouragement to new readers to find so many images gone. It becomes more frustration than it's worth, particularly when they see there are still 500+ pages yet to view, most if not all with useless posts now because the images are no more. They see it's a waste of time slogging through hundreds of posts that have lost their graphics, and just give up.

It's really too late for most of us to go back and fix these gaps, too. Some of our most important contributors have hundreds, even thousands of posts on this thread. It's a shame to have put so much time and energy into writing, only for their posts to lose their informational value because the hosts they linked to changed their image URLs. It didn't have to happen, but to go back and correct everything now would be too monumental a task. A little forethought, and this all could have been avoided.-Scott

Running pics through Imageshack is not necessarily a sure thing. If the account is deleted, or for some reason pics are deleted to make space, the images here will also vanish. This does not seem to be the case with Picasa. Unfortunately, this kind of thread is ephemeral, and as such is vulnerable to deterioration if not complete removal. Blogs are more secure, but, even though I have a few, I'm not sure how one could be set up to have posts by multiple contributors without a single overseer with the time and interest to make it more secure and official. Oddly, I've found pics missing on old posts here, only to find that some of the pages that have been archived, somehow by whomever, retain the images.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 9:21 PM

gsjansen and 3940dxer/David archived the pages. (3940dxer saved pages up until 7 months or so ago).
If that makes anyone feel better.

I don't like to look back in thread very often because the missing photos break my heart.
If anyone sees a past post of mine missing a photograph please let me know. I'll try to go back and repair it.

Like GW said, threads like this are ephemeral. We're lucky it's still going strong after 4 yrs.
__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos