HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:23 PM

for christ's sake, they should just leave the crane at the top rather than put that hideous thing up there, what a let down...............

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:58 PM
Bionic Boogie

Men at work....2 men on a gondola!!!!!

DSC_0064 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_0064a copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
for christ's sake, they should just leave the crane at the top rather than put that hideous thing up there, what a let down...............
Hahaha,very true

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
Men at work....2 men on a gondola!!!!!

DSC_0064 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_0064a copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
Wow thanks Carlo's

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYBOY75

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:08 PM

Looks like they've been doing the decking.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
All-American City Boy

Great renders, beautiful photos... but damn does the skyline feel empty without a twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Renderings by Miller Hare

4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post

Great shots. This ones my favorite, it looks really cool with the bird at the top left. Too bad this whole buildings ruined now though, but if no ones going to do anything about it, we might as well move on to other towers going up in the city cause we lost the battle.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
Great shots. This ones my favorite, it looks really cool with the bird at the top left. Too bad this whole buildings ruined now though, but if no ones going to do anything about it, we might as well move on to other towers going up in the city cause we lost the battle.

Lost the Battle?
Regardless of whether we built here or not. The Battle was won on May 1, 2011.
The spire does not determine whether we win a battle. It's the fact that we rebuild. Although it will take some time, when towers 2 and 3 stand with One and Four. We will have a beautiful safe enviroment filled with architecture beauty.
No site is perfect,

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:01 AM

Based on these pics, I'm ready to go out on a limb here and say that I can live with the spire/whatever as it looks right now. It may be too late to turn back; but perhaps if the telecom ring gets properly illuminated that'll be a plus. Maybe they'll also do a lighting treatment for this pinnacle a la Conde Nast and BofA.

Pic #2 BTW does a nice job in making 1WTC look like a true peak with symmetric building up going on.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:01 AM

I cant imagine how haunted this tower is going to be (is). That lobby rendering is kind of creepy!

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:02 AM

Actually yesterday I missed a good chance to capture a ironic photo. If I had my camera out in time. What happened was a plane was flying by the World Trade Center and if I had my camera in time I would have gotten a picture of a Boeing 717 pointed directly at One World Trade Center. So it would have made a shocking, but rather interesting photo op.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:54 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Great renders, beautiful photos... but damn does the skyline feel empty without a twin.
I'm sure 2 and maybe 3 WTC will make up for it. Especially 2 WTC since it could create that mock Twin Towers-like view from the harbor.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:48 AM
New Yorker for life

^ This is something entirely new people, they are not rebuilding the Twins. That skyline is gone, get used to the new one.

Mitch Waxman

travellingcari

Worth seeing
NYMAN2010

Tom Turner - SeaTeamImages / AirTeamImages

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:20 AM

While I still think the antenna / spire situation is quite lame, I really do think that the building itself is quite striking and imposing. The chamfered corners catch the early / late day sun quite amazingly.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:49 AM

spot (a shorter) One World Trade's iconic facade in a quick spot at the beginning of this dark knight rises TV Spot:

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ohgu0LXqIYI

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:21 AM

Yeah guys, while the twins were awesome, they are forever gone, and aint't a damn thing we can do about it, except build what we are currently building now. Sadly it took 9/11 for people to even appreciate downtown nyc for all its worth ie: an economic powerhouse. The new skyline will grow on us but not overnight. Be patient guys

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:44 AM

The Twin Towers were most certainly not loved before 9/11. A good documentary to see this would be New York: A Documentary Film (New York and the Center of the World). They were hated when they were being built. People hated them for their size, their looks, the barren Austin Tobin Plaza, and their narrow windows. If you were to ask any New Yorkers before 9/11 if they loved the Twin Towers a majority of them would have said "They are gray buildings with no meaning except to dominate Lower Manhattan", or they would say "They only mostly had a presence and that is it". Another way to put it was what my cousin said before 9/11 as a New Yorker "They are two gray pencils". Then after 9/11 came they quickly gain so much meaning. They in the end were loved more after their death then them in their life. However there are a few exceptions like me who always considered the Twin Towers beautiful even before 9/11, and there were certainly people that felt it like Philippe Petit, or George Willig, or Dan Goodwin. They also loved the Towers and most certainly like me there was a feeling of something lost after they were destroyed.

I guess you can say One World Trade Center is riding the same current. Hopefully it will never be destroyed in a 9/11 style event.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ This is something entirely new people, they are not rebuilding the Twins. That skyline is gone, get used to the new one.

Mitch Waxman

travellingcari

Worth seeing
NYMAN2010

Tom Turner - SeaTeamImages / AirTeamImages

I'm not sure that he was saying he wanted the twins rebuilt, just another tower to go with it. He is right on that. I think 2 WTC will be it's awesome twin ( will not look the same, but the height will be about the same and work great with 1 wtc) if we can just get it built. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It looks like 3 wtc will be the next one built at sometime in the future. I just hope we see 2 wtc built in our lifetime. And by built, I mean more than 4 stories.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:25 AM
don't *meddle*...

It will be very painful watching that fugly spire being erected. With every new update it will be like a stab through the skyscraper enthusiast's heart.

Durst and the PA fuc*ed up this tower, big time. They are traitors. Both parties should be dragged to court and be found guilty of their crimes. Never forget.

von RichardSchneider auf flickr

Last edited by hunser; May 30, 2012 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
The Twin Towers were most certainly not loved before 9/11. A good documentary to see this would be New York: A Documentary Film (New York and the Center of the World). They were hated when they were being built. People hated them for their size, their looks, the barren Austin Tobin Plaza, and their narrow windows. If you were to ask any New Yorkers before 9/11 if they loved the Twin Towers a majority of them would have said "They are gray buildings with no meaning except to dominate Lower Manhattan", or they would say "They only mostly had a presence and that is it". Another way to put it was what my cousin said before 9/11 as a New Yorker "They are two gray pencils". Then after 9/11 came they quickly gain so much meaning. They in the end were loved more after their death then them in their life. However there are a few exceptions like me who always considered the Twin Towers beautiful even before 9/11, and there were certainly people that felt it like Philippe Petit, or George Willig, or Dan Goodwin. They also loved the Towers and most certainly like me there was a feeling of something lost after they were destroyed.

I guess you can say One World Trade Center is riding the same current. Hopefully it will never be destroyed in a 9/11 style event.

Everything you say is totally normal: it a sort of 'death syndrome" : people or things are by far more appreciated after their disparition.
Same for titanic, the perfect example of how an unsignificant ship became a legend after it sinked.

For 1WTC, i suppose the new tower has been designed to resist plane attacks, or parking bombs (that's the reason of the concrete base, i imagine)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive