HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 11:30 PM
@LaidByMonty

Crawley, UK (including possibly SSP's first pics by a 2-year-old!)

It's been a while since I last posted on here. I have now got a job and am renting a house in the UK town of Crawley. Crawley has a thousand or so year history but was designated a "new town" after the Second World War and was developed over the following decades to become a town with a population of 100,000.

My two year old son Jacob got a kiddie digital camera for Christmas and tried it out in Crawley yesterday. OK, so he'll be three at the end of January, but it's probably still a first for SSP. Here are his photos:

Market stall detail!

A sampling of local houses for sale. Amusingly, I often take shots like this, but didn't prompt Jacob to take this. He must have been watching me.

Now, here are my shots from the same walk.

Finally, here's the young budding photographer himself (and, well, part of the older one too):

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 1:05 AM
Old Fart Forumer

So you left Baltimore for this? j/k

Looks like a pleasant place. Are the housing prices reasonable? Do you like it? Enough questions, I enjoyed the tour of a city I'd not heard of before. Thanks.

btw, I threw my camera away. Your son takes better pics than me. Guess I better stick to postcards from now on.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
@LaidByMonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
So you left Baltimore for this? j/k
LOL. Yep, I left Baltimore for a place with a 1000-year history, clean streets, not a boarded-up house in sight, no potholes in the roads... and yet I still miss Baltimore!

Quote:
Looks like a pleasant place. Are the housing prices reasonable? Do you like it?
Yes, it's nice enough. I'm not a huge fan of new towns but it still has density and walkability like the rest of the country. I have a five minute walk to work and we can walk to the town centre which is what I wanted. Selling the second car this month! Also, the wonderful villages and countryside are never far away here.

The house prices get very slightly cheaper as you move away from London (we're about 30 miles from London) but they are still very high so we're renting for now while we build up our down payment.

Thanks for the comments!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 12:25 PM
fried white rice

Looks ok but I've heard not-so-nice responses about this town from my friends who've been there.
Anyway it's good to start practicing photography from 2 years of age. By the age of 5 a dSLR will be essential

Btw, Jeremai, are you living in Crawley? Is it still in Surrey? I am in the outer suburbs of Greater London (Kingston, Sutton) and it's still under the name (only historically I suppose) of Surrey county.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:54 AM
@LaidByMonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Btw, Jeremai, are you living in Crawley? Is it still in Surrey? I am in the outer suburbs of Greater London (Kingston, Sutton) and it's still under the name (only historically I suppose) of Surrey county.
Yes, I'm living in Crawley. It's in West Sussex, but covered by most Surrey atlases! The Surrey-Sussex border follows the border of Gatwick Airport, with Gatwick being on the Sussex side, and Crawley is just a couple of miles south of the airport.

It's interesting to see the towns that Surrey "lost" to London in 1965 like Chessington, Kingston, Croydon, etc. They are now so dense and busy. I do think it's about time Surrey County Council leave Kingston - it hasn't been Surrey for over 40 years - and relocate to Woking, Guildford or some other large Surrey town.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 11:34 PM
Red October standing by

great pics, both of you. that kiddie camera looks cool, sort of a digital Holga look. what's it called? do you have a link?

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 7:08 AM
@LaidByMonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
great pics, both of you. that kiddie camera looks cool, sort of a digital Holga look. what's it called? do you have a link?

-
I was thinking the same thing about the Holga look! Here's a link:
http://www.fisher-price.com/us/produ...t.asp?id=37019

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos