HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Marine Gateway North Residential in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:08 AM

One Wall Centre | 149.8m | 48fl | Completed

One Wall Centre (completed in 2001) is a major Vancouver landmark and my current home. In 2001 it was voted as the best new skyscraper in the world by Emporis and it was Vancouver's tallest building until the completion of Shangri-La in 2008. As there will be lots of more photos from this building in the future, I will create it its very own thread.

Currently the building is undergoing a major renovation work where the windows of the top 18 floors (floors 30-48) will be replaced with new ones. The new windows will be of the same reflective glass as the first 30 floors and 12 years after the completion will finally make the building look like it originally designed.

For the past two months workmen have been working on the roof, building a huge platform surrounding the whole building. This platform is now operational and it will provide the workmen a platform to stand on while replacing window elements. Once a floor is completed, the platform will be lowered one floor below and the work will resume. Replacing all windows on one floor is expected to take one week, at least once the workmen catch their new routine. The work started officially end of last week, but nothing is visible yet.

Below are some photos from today. More to follow in the weeks to come.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:13 AM

This surely is just about Vancouver's most elegant building. Too bad others don't have the same aspirations. (and yes it's good to see the glass made uniform).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:04 AM

Thank God

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:27 AM

Did they sue the city?

I sure as hell wish they did.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:47 PM

Klaus - how long do residents have to vacate their units for (if at all)?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:52 PM
HVAC guru

We stayed there at the Sheraton last month. Was curious what was going on on the roof. Glad to see that the glazing will be uniform now, Always thought it looked a little funny the way it is now.

It's a nice hotel, but did notice that the sound attenuation within the building is fairly poor.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 8:38 PM

Great shots, thanks!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Klaus - how long do residents have to vacate their units for (if at all)?
There is no need for the residents to vacate their apartments unless they want to. However I have heard that many have at least been contemplating moving out temporary (or even permanently). The whole project has been very controversial among the residents, as the benefits are vastly larger on the south side of the building where Sun has been overpowering the A/C system during summer months.

It is estimated that they will work one week per floor, so one apartment will experience significant disturbance during that time. Work will require the removal of all installed blinds and in some apartments also certain other structures. The working platform needs to be attached to the building, which will result in some holes being drilled into the walls. All furniture needs to be moved away from the windows for the week they are working on one's floor. In two apartments per floor the workmen will install a door that they will use for moving window elements in and out, as well as themselves. They start early in the morning, which will be interesting.

The biggest annoyance for the residents will be that one of the only two high-speed elevators servicing the residential floors (30-48) will be in in use for the next five months or so. This is especially cumbersome as these elevators have proved to be unreliable and occasionally breaking down. In those cases one must take stairs from level 30 upwards (you can get to level 30 with the hotel elevator). I have taken this route a few times last year.

We are being compensated for the inconvenience in our this year's rent, which was a fair gesture from our landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
We stayed there at the Sheraton last month. It's a nice hotel, but did notice that the sound attenuation within the building is fairly poor.
That's interesting, as at least on the residential floors the windows are very tight and one can barely hear the city below when windows are shut. I hope the new windows are as good in isolating the street noise as the old ones.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 9:53 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Glad to see that the glazing will be uniform now, Always thought it looked a little funny the way it is now.

It's a nice hotel, but did notice that the sound attenuation within the building is fairly poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
The whole project has been very controversial among the residents, as the benefits are vastly larger on the south side of the building where Sun has been overpowering the A/C system during summer months.

The biggest annoyance for the residents will be that one of the only two high-speed elevators servicing the residential floors (30-48) will be in in use for the next five months or so. This is especially cumbersome as these elevators have proved to be unreliable and occasionally breaking down. In those cases one must take stairs from level 30 upwards (you can get to level 30 with the hotel elevator). I have taken this route a few times last year.

That's interesting, as at least on the residential floors the windows are very tight and one can barely hear the city below when windows are shut. I hope the new windows are as good in isolating the street noise as the old ones.

But..but...but.....Emporis declared One Wall Centre to be the best skyscraper when it was built in 2001! Beating even more architecturally stunning and state of the art buildings such as Plaza 66!

But judging by the testimony of those who stayed there as hotel guests or lived as residents, and even by the very existence of this project to replace the glass, so Emporis wasn't telling the truth??? You mean they were actually biased??? Oh dear...say it ain't so....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
But..but...but.....Emporis declared One Wall Centre to be the best skyscraper when it was built in 2001! Beating even more architecturally stunning and state of the art buildings such as Plaza 66!

But judging by the testimony of those who stayed there as hotel guests or lived as residents, and even by the very existence of this project to replace the glass, so Emporis wasn't telling the truth??? You mean they were actually biased??? Oh dear...say it ain't so....
Could it be that the design of the building is rather impressive, but the finish was lacking with the two tone glass?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 12:57 AM

I am not sure of the criterions behind the 2001 Emporis award, but as I understand it, this building has been rather innovative:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.glotmansimpson.com/Commercial/One-Wall-Centre
Designed to become one of the city's signature buildings, the translucent, elliptical tower is a bold and exciting architectural statement requiring innovative engineering. Despite its impressive height, One Wall Center was designed to have a minimal impact on Vancouver's skyline. The resulting 7:1 height-to-width ratio created unique structural engineering challenges requiring innovative solutions that would satisfy wind and seismic design requirements.

To meet seismic load and wind-resistance challenges, the tower uses an unusual outrigger system consisting of four floors of six-foot-deep concrete beams that connect the central elevator and stair cores to exterior columns. The system resists the forces of wind and earthquakes by spreading the axial load of the building out to the columns. With this 'tuned liquid column damper' and two rooftop 50,000 gallon water tanks - intended to counter any lateral movements in the tower - the structure is designed to withstand a once-in-a-100-year windstorm. The rooftop water can also supplement the tower's sprinkler system if a fire gets out of control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emporis
The use of this type of damper was the first of its kind in the world.
I can tell you that I am glad the dampering system is there. The strong winds in the past few weekends, as well as the earthquakes last year, were something one noticed up here. You can't feel the whole building swaying, but you could definitely see the curtains moving from side to side in the strong winds.

I have been wondering to myself how much more the bulky Shangri-La must have been swaying in those same storms. I am sure they have something similar in that building as well, but the shape of the building must be catching more of the winds strength. Might feel interesting on the top floors...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 1:23 AM

Quote:
I am not sure of the criterions behind the 2001 Emporis award, but as I understand it, this building has been rather innovative:

I have been wondering to myself how much more the bulky Shangri-La must have been swaying in those same storms. I am sure they have something similar in that building as well, but the shape of the building must be catching more of the winds strength. Might feel interesting on the top floors...
I was an editor for Emporis, or what was known as skyscrapers.com back then. The criteria was based on a not so well known poll, but given that the editor in chief happened to be based in Vancouver, and back then, the site was still a start up with limited funds, it wasn't exactly easy for them to award a building in China or some other far away place.

I was dead set against their decision, so much so I eventually gave up and left them. But not without running my own grass roots campaign for 2002 that led to the Kingdom Centre, located in Riyadh, to win the award for the following year...

As for dampeners, its not exactly new innovative technology. Maybe for a Vancouver building, yes. But such things have been used in many countries before (especially Japan). Ultimately, One Wall Centre won simply because some people were too cheap to buy airline tickets, and it really annoys me when people think the awarding was some legitimate thing.

Then again, such controversies amongst skyscraper organizations ain't new....like the controversy over Petronas vs Sears Tower.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 2:09 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:

There was no issue with infiltration from outside the building.. We noticed that we heard everything our neighbors were doing from within our suite, and lots of noise from the buildings' plumbing.

We've decided we're staying there from now on when we head down.. location is perfect, great staff and free secured parking (we rent a car at the airport usually because we visit friends all over the greater Vancouver area so it just makes that easier). Was just a bit surprised that it was so noisy from within the building.

That's a steel building if I am not mistaken ? Reinforces my belief that concrete is far superior for the end user.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:56 AM

@240glt: I am sorry, it seems I missread your comment earlier. On the residential floors noise from neighbours is not an issue. Maybe we have silent neighbours or maybe the building standards have been different for the hotel and residential floors. Be it as it may, I have absolutely no complains there.

The curvy design of the building makes up for an interesting room layout. There are typically only four apartments per floor and there are not many straight walls in an apartment. This makes decorating an interesting task.

The good thing about the curvy design is that every apartment has a 180-degree view of the surrounding city. Our apartment is facing north, with a view spanding all the way from English Bay to Cambie Bridge. Photos to follow up soon.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Could it be that the design of the building is rather impressive, but the finish was lacking with the two tone glass?
Seems a reasonable assessment

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
@240glt: I am sorry, it seems I missread your comment earlier. On the residential floors noise from neighbours is not an issue. Maybe we have silent neighbours or maybe the building standards have been different for the hotel and residential floors. Be it as it may, I have absolutely no complains there.
And one thing you may have forgotten to consider, maybe your neighbours are actually absentee owners from lands far away...

Have you ever seen the urban mythical Belgian action star that is said to roam the halls of One Wall Centre...or is it Shaw Tower....or Living at Shangrila....who knows what high end Vancouver residential building the "Universal Soldier" is said to be in today...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
And one thing you may have forgotten to consider, maybe your neighbours are actually absentee owners from lands far away...

Have you ever seen the urban mythical Belgian action star that is said to roam the halls of One Wall Centre...or is it Shaw Tower....or Living at Shangrila....who knows what high end Vancouver residential building the "Universal Soldier" is said to be in today...
JCVD sold his penthouse unit at Shaw Tower last year and I was told by the agent involved that he no longer has a residence in Vancouver...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
JCVD sold his penthouse unit at Shaw Tower last year and I was told by the agent involved that he no longer has a residence in Vancouver...
JLousa told us that already in one of the Vancouver meets. My comment was more off a joke to Klazu...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:47 PM

It was actually only recently I learned that JCVD has been living in this building. He had an amazing apartment on the 36th floor where he had put 3 neighboring units into one huge 4,600sqf apartment. It is actually currently for sale and you can find the high-quality photos and the floorplan in here.

Too bad he moved out of the building some years ago, before my time in here. Imagine how cool it would have been to take an elevator together with him!!

I don't know the other people living here, but many seem to be foreign and wealthy. There are some sweet cars down in the garage. Some cars have a thick layer of dust on them, so some owners don't seem to visit regularly. But based on the number of lights in the windows and the amount of different people one sees in the elevator, this building is definitely occupied. But I am getting the feeling that not many owners live in the building, but there are lots of rental apartments (like ours is).

And yes, our direct neighbors are definitely there, as we can hear them occasionally.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
It was actually only recently I learned that JCVD has been living in this building. He had an amazing apartment on the 36th floor where he had put 3 neighboring units into one huge 4,600sqf apartment. It is actually currently for sale and you can find the high-quality photos and the floorplan in here.
I thought a "Brazillian woman" owned that customized 3 combined unit, at the same time JCVD was also a resident of the building? Or perhaps the original owner was the Brazillian woman, then JCVD bought it later, or the other way around.

This was going back to 2000 when the building was still underconstruction, and was something that was being discussed in the "first" Vancouver meet on the Landmark restaurant. Maybe phesto or officedweller can recall....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver