HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

220 Central Park South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:29 AM

I'm hoping for a RAMS classical masterpiece that will enhance the skyline and put Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill's ptoject to shame. I imagine the latter should not be too difficult.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredo267 View Post
How tall can they go with this site?
There is no height limit on this site.

"They're going pretty high" sounds like a pretty promising quote to me. I expect a supertall, given the competition.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:58 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

There's undoubtably more air rights here than at 111w57, although it's a much bigger site. Still, there's a lot of flexibility to make a tall skinny tower here.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 2:34 AM

If Robert AM Stern is designing this tower, that's fantastic news. It'll be a much needed contrast to the glass towers on 57th, and a much needed architectural upgrade to the western end of Central Park South. It's also close enough to 15CPW to create some visual continuity.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 12:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Normally I would have mixed feelings about a very tall or supertall building on Central Park South, I like that the park is framed by lower rise buildings as the taller towers form a backdrop. But, with Robert Stern, we know it will fit in, regardless of height.

So the question is, how high? I think it will be closer to One57 in height, but it could be more. And with a classic design anticipated, it will be down to Old School (Stern) vs. New School (SHoP), Michael Stern vs. Robert Stern. Who will put out the classier classic.

And don't forget about the Park Lane at the other end of CPS. It's not clear which direction they are going in, but they may want to get in on the fun with a new tower.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...033420148.html

Quote:
A team led by New York development company Witkoff Group has reached an agreement with the estate of real-estate magnate Leona Helmsley to buy the 46-story Park Lane Hotel on Central Park South for more than $650 million, according to multiple people with knowledge of the deal.

The New York-based developer plans to turn the bulk of the property—the tallest building on Central Park South that towers over the Plaza Hotel just to its east—into high-priced condominiums, these people said. Still, it remained unclear whether Witkoff plans to tear down the hotel and build a new tower, or whether the company would convert the existing hotel.

If it opts to tear down the 370,000-square-foot property, zoning regulations only allow it to build a tower about two-thirds the size. Converting has its perils as well: Ceilings throughout the building are low, and the building lacks the prewar architecture that has helped boost the appeal of other high-priced conversions.
Whatever the case, the views of the park from the towers will be great.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...rk/Default.htm

The modest towers of Central Park South, with supertalls as a backdrop...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:27 PM
don't *meddle*...

A Robert Stern supertall? Bring it on! My guess for the height: About 1,100 feet.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 5:29 PM
BANNED

The park lane won't be demolished then, if the new tower would be have to be smaller. The hotel isn't bad, I stayed there. I think the building is the ugly duckling of the street but nothing a good re-clad won't fix.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The park lane won't be demolished then, if the new tower would be have to be smaller.
The tower will probably be demolished, and the replacement doesn't have to be smaller.

It will likely be much taller and "bigger" in terms of volume (because of much higher ceilings), though has to keep the same square feet.

If you leave the foundation in place, the new building is an "alteration" legally, which is done quite often in NYC to preserve the square footage.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 7:09 PM
testify

i love the look of the park lane hotel, hope it sticks around without a recladding.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The tower will probably be demolished, and the replacement doesn't have to be smaller.

It will likely be much taller and "bigger" in terms of volume (because of much higher ceilings), though has to keep the same square feet.

If you leave the foundation in place, the new building is an "alteration" legally, which is done quite often in NYC to preserve the square footage.
This is why the building will likely be (mostly) demolished.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 12:30 AM
New Yorker for life

I think for the sake of variety in height, which makes a more dynamic skyline, both sites directly on the park (220 and the Park Lane) should be either 100 ft more or 100 ft less than One57.

( both sites shown below )

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 3:45 PM

^Agreed, it would make it even.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 5:49 PM

There's another nearby site in play, too (it should probably have a separate thread).

Hadassah (a Jewish women's organization) sold their HQ at 50 West 58th Street late last year. The site backs up to a low-rise assemblage on 57th Street.

I would assume the buyer of the 50 W. 58 site is the same as the developer assembling the adjacent properties. In any case, you could build a very tall, thin tower on this site, with amazing park views.

I'm guessing we hear more on 50 W. 58 very soon.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 7:13 PM

I don't know if this is either possible or legal if it is; but can't they just add floors to an existing building? Park Lane right there is a perfect spot.
Amongst the pre-war gems and the newer ones to come, this looks positively outdated.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I don't know if this is either possible or legal if it is; but can't they just add floors to an existing building? Park Lane right there is a perfect spot.
Amongst the pre-war gems and the newer ones to come, this looks positively outdated.
They will never do that for Park Lane. It needs to be demolished, because the ceilings are far too low for superluxury housing. And you can't add square feet to the existing building because it's already maxed-out zoning.

They will probably down to foundation (or whatever legally counts for "alteration") and then build a very tall, skinny tower.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 8:34 PM

If the Park Lane Hotel was demolished, it would rank in the top 10 in terms of height at 449 feet according to SSP Diagrams.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 8:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just making sure I'm reading correctly but did they scrap the original idea of a 577' tower and are considering a supertall? If so this is fantastic as there are so many that are going up in an area of less than 1 sq-mile.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 12:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Just making sure I'm reading correctly but did they scrap the original idea of a 577' tower and are considering a supertall? If so this is fantastic as there are so many that are going up in an area of less than 1 sq-mile.
There's nothing official yet. We're just going by rumors post on a blog and the recent revelations of the Nordstrom tower.

http://mgross.com/gripebox/vornado-a...pad-exclusive/

Quote:
My source also confirmed–well, nearly–Gripepad’s report from May 2012 that Vornado is hiring Fifteen Central Park West architect Robert A.M. Stern to design its new condo–”It’s 99% sure”–and added one more tid-bit for now. “They’re going pretty high,” the source says.

Which means war, at least for the Central Park views developers covet along the new Billionaire’s Belt. Until today, Extell (whose plans were first revealed here this week) had the view corridor to itself. Now? Advantage Vornado.
Sounds like it will indeed by higher than the 577 ft, possibly even higher than Stern's 30 Park place. But we don't know what it will be yet.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 11:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Regarding the Park Lane, it looks like Harry Macklowe (of 432 Park) will have a hand in that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/ny...pagewanted=all

Quote:
By ALAN FEUER and CHARLES V. BAGLI
October 4, 2013

...Faced in concrete and largely unadorned, Mr. Macklowe’s building does possess an unpretentious elegance, despite astronomical asking prices. Nor does it appear that 432 Park will be his last attempt to woo the über-wealthy. He is considering the purchase of 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza, in Lower Manhattan, and is working on a partnership with the developer Steve Witkoff to redevelop the Park Lane Hotel on Central Park South into deluxe condominiums.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 2:29 PM

Has Mr. AM Stern ever designed a supertall in NYC that has actually been built? Or could this be his 'crowning achievement' so to speak?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive