HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:21 AM

Postal code "places"

I know this is increasingly falling out of use, but here's some for Toronto.

Agincourt, ON: M1S, M1T, M1V, M1W

Don Mills, ON: M3A, M3B, M3C

Downsview, ON: M3H, M3J, M3K, M3L, M3M, M3N

Islington, ON: M9A, M9B, M9C

Rexdale, ON: M9V, M9W

Scarborough, ON: M1B, M1G, M1H, M1J, M1L, M1M, M1N, M1P, M1R

West Hill, ON: M1C, M1E

Weston, ON: M9L, M9M, M9N, M9R

Willowdale, ON: M2H, M2J, M2K, M2L, M2M, M2P, M2R

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Vancouver postal codes all begin with "V", seems apropos.

V6_ is downtown and Westside, V5_ is Eastside - Burnaby, V7_ is Northshore.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:39 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

AFAIK Waterloo uses N2L ___.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:41 AM

In Mississauga, Malton addresses were used for L4T, Streetsville addresses were used for L5M, Port Credit addresses for L5G and L5H, and Cooksville for a bunch more (L4W, L4X, L4Y, L5A, L5B, L5C).

The phone books used to carve up Mississauga into Clarkson, Cooksville, Malton, Port Credit and Streetsville.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 5:20 AM

Most Halifax-area postal codes seem to start with B3_

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:05 AM

I guess I should have been more specific. I wasn't so much interested in what the FSA for specific cities was or what letter they start with, but the unincorporated "communities" recognized by Canada Post.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:09 AM

Vaughan is broken up into Thornhill (L4J), Concord (L4K), Woodbridge (L4H and L4L), Maple (L6A) and Kleinburg (L0J).

Thornhill though is split between the municipalities of Vaughan and Markham (L3T).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 7:46 AM

Ahh I gotcha.

In the Halifax area, most if not all communities kept their pre-90s-amalgamation addresses. Everything in Dartmouth for example (including new stuff like the "Halifax" Ikea) has a Dartmouth (not Halifax) address. OTOH, the communities that were absorbed into Halifax back in the 60s all took on Halifax addresses AFAIK - never in my lifetime have I seen something addressed to "Spryfield" or "Rockingham", they were just considered part of Halifax (this may have been a thing in the 70s, not sure).

There are apparently "200 communities" in the HRM, and other than those that merged with Halifax before 1996 I think all of them are still used as "postal places" (so well over 150).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:11 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

All of ours start with A. Mine in Rabbittown is A1C.

Unincorporated communities would generally use the unofficial name of the community, and the peninsula or bay. "New Bonaventure, Trinity Bay" or "New Bonaventure, Bonavista Peninsula", etc. A couple of times a year there's a story here about a letter addressed to something like "Nan, across the bay from Epworth, yellow house" actually making it. Out around the bay it's mostly P.O. boxes. In much of the city as well, though they couldn't find anywhere to put them in the core so most rowhouse areas still have door-to-door delivery.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:18 AM

Generally Toronto starts with an M while the suburbs are an L. My current is M5B, while my childhood suburban code was L9P.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Unincorporated communities would generally use the unofficial name of the community, and the peninsula or bay. "New Bonaventure, Trinity Bay" or "New Bonaventure, Bonavista Peninsula", etc. A couple of times a year there's a story here about a letter addressed to something like "Nan, across the bay from Epworth, yellow house" actually making it. Out around the bay it's mostly P.O. boxes. In much of the city as well, though they couldn't find anywhere to put them in the core so most rowhouse areas still have door-to-door delivery.
This was also to help remove confusion since there were a lot of towns back then (and still now) with the same name. I think today mail gets mostly delivered based off postal code and not town name, unlike in the past. Still see a lot of older people putting Fortune Bay in mailing addresses though, despite changing the town name from Fox Cove as to distinguish it from the other like....six Fox Coves in the province

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
AFAIK Waterloo uses N2L ___.
Also N2J, N2K, N2T, and N2V. Kitchener postal codes also start with "N2..."

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:35 PM

I don't get this thread? Postal Codes are assigned alphabetically from NFL to BC.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I don't get this thread? Postal Codes are assigned alphabetically from NFL to BC.
Docere is referring to postal codes assigned to "towns" that don't actually exist other than as a Canada Post fiction... there is no town of Agincourt, ON.

There was actually a local news story recently about some folks south of Winnipeg frustrated by their rural route address changing to some kind of nonexistent town name... wish I could post the link but I can't find it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Docere is referring to postal codes assigned to "towns" that don't actually exist other than as a Canada Post fiction... there is no town of Agincourt, ON.

There was actually a local news story recently about some folks south of Winnipeg frustrated by their rural route address changing to some kind of nonexistent town name... wish I could post the link but I can't find it.
Thanks! Didn't know that.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Vancouver postal codes all begin with "V", seems apropos.

V6_ is downtown and Westside, V5_ is Eastside - Burnaby, V7_ is Northshore.
All of BC is V afaik.

Castlegar V1N
Nelson V1L
Trail V1R

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

I finally understand

So, our pre-industrial settlement pattern means there are basically no areas without at least a small settlement of the same name as the postal code still existing today. Even ones like Black Duck Siding are actual towns.

There are some with slight differences, such as Burin Bay Arm (geographic feature) instead of Burin, the town on it. But those don't really count.

That said, there is one that doesn't appear to be any sort of town:

A0A 4L0: Woodfords

It's between Harbour Main and Holyrood. Seems to be a regional term based on an old gas station.

EDIT: Figured it out. It's a small stretch of coast between the two towns where the family of that surname settled (and still lives). A friend is dating one of the pretty Woodford girls from there lol #SmallWorld

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:30 PM

According to Canada Post I live in Nepean, which no longer exists since the almagation of the early 2000’s. I sometimes have to explain that yes, I live in Ottawa despite the fact that my adress says Nepean.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:38 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:

Presumably they’re referring to the main local sorting stations rather than municipalities. Much of our mail was addressed to “St. Vital” long after Winnipeg was amalgamated because that’s the post office. It also made it clearer that our particular street was intended rather than one in St. James with a similar name. Although of course, prior to postal codes cities used zone numbers, so we in the city of St. Vital were “Winnipeg 8”. My cousins in North York were “Toronto 317”, I remember.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:52 PM

Interestingly, Kanata addresses are not only used but Statistics Canada recognizes it as a population centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada