HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:48 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I agree unless there is a paper thin spire somewhere. Across is Penzoil Place which is around 523 feet. The city government should have as-built drawings. Would someone care to review them?
If someone knows of some links online to review that stuff, I will totally do it and share the details here. I've been trying to update the Houston list in the building database because it's needing some attention. There are 80+ buildings in the proposed section, but only 8 listed under construction now as I moved/listed some as completed after confirming it visually with Google maps. There are some new buildings that are missing, too, not even added yet. I would love to have the elevations and heights for them. I'm also working on a Google Earth building massing map for Houston that I'm relying on heights to be able to draw the massings.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:57 PM

OEAAA is an evaluation, nothing more. You can use it for a ballpark estimate for what the official height is. Most of the time it's the same. Sometimes heights are submitted higher than the actual structures end up being. You can't go higher than what you submit for, but you can, of course, build lower.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 9:05 PM
Meh

I think it's different for every city. In Austin mechanical penthouses, rooftop stair towers and even main roof parapets are exempt from height variances the developer is seeking. The only cases where those rooftop elements are required to obey a set height restriction is when the building is within a capitol view corridor or if it fronts the river or one of the two creeks in downtown. Otherwise, those elements don't count toward the extra height they're seeking. They don't even count that height when stating the height of the building and sometimes the elevations don't even show the heights to the very top. The only height the city cares about here is the main roof height. However, that doesn't mean that every building height you see for Austin on SSP, for example, is lower than the actual height, because I still measure and count to those points. Most of the time the elevations do show mechanical penthouses and spires, etc. Otherwise, if for some reason I'm just not able to find the height through the city documents, I'll measure it with Google Earth, but I've only had to do that for a handful of buildings.

EDIT: I didn't realize OEAAA was referring to the FAA. I have relied on them from time to time, but I've found their heights sometimes to be different from what was listed on the site plans/elevations filed with the city. I tend to not go with the FAA's numbers as the final height. They are an ok source for getting an idea of the scope of a project, but I wouldn't rely on them as a main source.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 8:20 AM

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 7:18 AM

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 3:52 PM

Crown is lit:

third_exposure

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:28 PM
FYHA

Capitol Tower becomes the Bank of America Tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...tol-tower.html

Quote:

New name revealed for Skanska's Capitol Tower in downtown Houston

By Jeff Jeffrey – Reporter, Houston Business Journal
May 22, 2019, 1:02pm CDT
After nearly two years of waiting, downtown Houston’s newest skyscraper has an official name.

The 35-story Capitol Tower at 811 Rusk St. in the city’s Central Business District will now be called Bank of America Tower, officials announced at a May 22 press event. The tower takes its name from its anchor tenant, Charlotte, North Carolina-based Bank of America (NYSE: BAC), which preleased 210,000 square feet of space in the tower. Bank of America is vacating 700 Louisiana St., commonly called Bank of America Center. A new name for that building has not been announced yet, but Bank of America plans to move into its new offices in June. The bank will have more than 600 employees in the new space, consolidating three downtown Houston locations.

The May 22 press event was hosted by New York-based Skanska USA Commercial Development, the developer on the project. In January, Skanska announced it would move its Houston operation from 3009 Post Oak Blvd. into Bank of America Tower. Skanska will occupy approximately 12,481 square feet on the tower’s 12th floor.

Skanska and Bank of America will be joined by Houston-based Waste Management Inc. (NYSE: WM), Houston-based Quantum Energy Partners and international law firm Winston & Strawn as tenants in the property. The addition of Skanska brought the building’s occupancy 83 percent, as of January.

Construction on the 750,000-square-foot, Platinum LEED-certified tower began in summer 2017, topped out in April 2018 and finished up earlier this year. The Houston office of San Francisco-based Gensler designed the project.

The site of the development is the former location of the Houston Club, which was demolished in October 2014.
c/o 'ekdrm2d1'
on HAIF

From this morning- c/o 'Nate99' on HAIF

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Houston has one of the best skylines in the US.

After NY and Chicago, I'd list them as follows:

LA
Philly/Houston/Seattle
Miami
SF
Charlotte/Atlanta/Minneapolis
Dallas
Curious, what's your criteria?

I'm especially curious how/why you'd rank Dallas beneath (and not at LEAST on par with) Charlotte/Atlanta/Minneapolis, and how/why you'd rank Houston beneath L.A. (when Houston "beats" L.A. on density and height)?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive