HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 12:09 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

At least some are done. One of our fellow SSPers is already living in his - and has been for weeks.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 2:07 AM

Lots of patio furniture out on the decks of Bennett House.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish&Chips View Post
Does anyone know if the apartments in Bennett house have been completed? I understood that it was supposed to be done this spring and am supposed to be moving in this fall. Have yet to see any finished pictures on their site so I'm wondering if it is behind schedule.
It's more or less done. There are still workers in and out of there all the time, finishing it up, but people have been living there since May 1st.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 2:10 PM

How much are the apartments typically being rented for?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
How much are the apartments typically being rented for?
According to this person's Kijiji post, their unit is $1625 per month. Yikes!

http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/c-real-esta...AdIdZ502038703

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 11:33 PM

It's nice inside, but still pretty basic. I'd say the person subletting it is hoping for an oil company to rent it, though I don't know if they'd be interested.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 11:07 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by p65ils View Post
According to this person's Kijiji post, their unit is $1625 per month. Yikes!

http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/c-real-esta...AdIdZ502038703
That's more than the cost of rent, whoever is renting is looking for a bit of extra cost.

When I inquired about Bennett back in the day I was told that rent was $900 or so for a one-bedroom, and between $1350 and $1450 for a two-bedroom.

Building has underground parking, a gym, a movie theatre, and the units are very nice inside. Depends what you're willing to pay for though, and what things are worth to you. A two-bedroom for $700 per person isn't that unreasonable for a nice spot in the city, IMO.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
That's more than the cost of rent, whoever is renting is looking for a bit of extra cost.

When I inquired about Bennett back in the day I was told that rent was $900 or so for a one-bedroom, and between $1350 and $1450 for a two-bedroom.

Building has underground parking, a gym, a movie theatre, and the units are very nice inside. Depends what you're willing to pay for though, and what things are worth to you. A two-bedroom for $700 per person isn't that unreasonable for a nice spot in the city, IMO.
That's actually very reasonable for everything included. $1600, not so much

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:39 PM

Redevelop of Virginia Park Plaza for residential and commercial use LUAR has been released. See link below.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%20Website.pdf

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:50 PM

Wow! Looks like a great project! It's much better than what is there now. Hopefully this will actually be built!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:03 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Wow! Looks like a great project! It's much better than what is there now. Hopefully this will actually be built!
I thought so too, until I saw that it consists of buildings again surrounded only by large parking lots (surface parking for almost 200 cars), not somewhere I would like to live. Sorry, but this is just more outmoded planning that would not be acceptable outside a small town or outside Atlantic Canada. St. John's deserves better.

Last edited by Architype; Aug 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:32 PM

^ Well that should be one of the things we bring up in our emails to council. Besides that it's a good infill.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
^ Well that should be one of the things we bring up in our emails to council. Besides that it's a good infill.
Exactly

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:47 PM

Isn't parking between the two buildings to be expected? With over 200 condos it makes sense to have 200 parking spaces. In a suburban development it is ridiculous to expect that they install underground parking or not supply the necessary amount of parking to the condo-owners. Yes, it`s great to promote alternate forms of transportation, but this isn't downtown. In a suburban condo development people are naturally going to have cars given the poor state of our public transportation and the un-walkable neighbourhood it which it is located. For these reasons, it should be the responsibility of the developers to provide at least one parking space for each condo. Otherwise not many people are going to be signing up to move in there.

If this was downtown, than yes a condo development does not need very many parking spaces because in an extremely walkable neighbourhood one shouldn't necessarily need a car. But in a suburban development people are not going to give up the freedom of a car and have to rely on the bus for commuting to work, shopping, ect. How many of us are actially going to sell our cars to ride the metrobus, even if services improve?

The fact is we don't live in a perfect world. Public transportation here is a hassle and unreliable at the moment. There is no reason for us to complain about adequate parking included in a suburban condo development. We should not be expecting people to jump on the metrobus bandwagon when it's something we would not even do ourselves. It's great to promote urbanization, public transportation and green living, but I don't think it's right to impose unrealistic expectations on a small-scale suburban condo project.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:55 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Perhaps they could have put more underground for the condos, no one expects them to have no parking or force people to take transit. The parking lots in this case will become the focal point, and not a very nice environment to live in.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:10 PM

yeah I think I he means the positioning of it more so than the elimination of parking, like reorient the buildings or parking lots so it's not so much parking right at the street front.

or make the connection between the buildings more plaza like with landscaping and put teh displaced parking at the rear of the site, just small things to make it feel better.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:42 PM

So what do people think of the design and what could be changed, if anything?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:36 PM

In my opinion the parking lot is just too large for this project. I don’t have unrealistic expectations for an urban design in a suburban neighborhood like this. But, I definitely think they could have had underground parking under each building, rather than just one. If there were still concerns about having buffer between adjacent properties they could have created a park or green space on either side. There are a number of 4 or 5 story condo buildings going up around the city in suburban neighborhoods and many of them still have underground parking.

That’s my only real compliant. Other than that, I think it’s great infill.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 11:21 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
So what do people think of the design and what could be changed, if anything?

Today I've had time to write a few thoughts here. I took the time to do this because many of these points are typical in these types of developments in Atlantic Canada, and probably elsewhere too. Some of them are subjective, but most are examples of inherent problems and weaknesses often found in this type of design. The repercussions are sociological just as much as they are architectural.

First of all, this is a large project, 252 condos, which might contain a population of about 400 (same as a Nfld. small town or village). Think of this as a horizontal highrise, a highrise flipped on its side. As a real highrise it might consist of two 16 story buildings, with about 8 units per floor. Again, think of such buildings as highrises with a parking lot of about 200 spaces surrounding them, and not much else being offered to enhance the lives of its residents or the surrounding community.

The design, while conventional, is actually a repetitious series of contradictions, supposedly modern in style (ie. the glass balconies), it features traditional heritage style windows and doors which might be more in place on a heritage home. This is an attempt to make the design appear domestic, comfortable and inviting. However, this is cancelled out by the over scaled sterile glassed in areas around the entrances, a feature typically found in office buildings. The simple rectangular form of the building is not friendly or domestic, it is oppressively institutional (long unbroken straight façades). In an attempt to soften this, besides the glassed in central feature areas, the roof line (phase 3) is cluttered with fake gables that are too shallow to have any contrasting impact, so they don't accomplish much to provide visual relief of the monotonous length of the building. Some stone features will also be used to break up the façades.

One big faux-pas; the elevations which face the street contain no windows, providing no interaction between the buildings and the street. Windows, or fenestration, are the architectural eyes to the soul of a building, indicating it's use and purpose; generally some life inside and some connection between it and the rest of the world. Therefore, without them there is no active contribution to the identity of, or "conversation" of friendliness with, or recognition towards the existence of the neighbourhood and the outside world. The small commercial building by itself looks silly and out of context, like a loiterer in the parking lot, (even with windows); the commercial spaces would be better if integrated into the designs of the larger buildings.

The focal center of the entire development will be a parking lot, a total homage to the automobile putting it at the center, and nothing for the human being (or dogs and cats either) - the only way to soften this reality is with landscaping, and lots of it. There doesn't appear to be much green space on the site, only minimal buffers and two patches of leftover grass at the rear of the property, with nothing indicating any actual function of the spaces. To be fair, there is some public recreational space just outside the site, thank god for that.

So, yes, this is not a development to be judged by the same standards as one in an urban oriented downtown, so that is to say, apparently, that the suburbs don't deserve just as much thought, care and sensitivity of design as the downtown does . . . is this really true though? (Sorry if my thoughts are incomplete, I'm sure I've probably missed some even more important points - all for now.)

Last edited by Architype; Aug 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 11:28 PM

I believe the larger building without underground parking is not a new building but a reno / retrofit to the existing building. If my understanding is correct, it is likely not feasible to have underground parking in that building.

EDIT:

After looking at the LUAR again, it definitely is a redevelopment for the existing building, in addition to the new buildings:
"The first phase to be constructed will be the redevelopment of the existing two story building."

That being said, I think you guys are very much on the right track with the criticisms - this plan would improve the area, but a few changes could make it a lot better. No windows facing the street is just plain odd. There is also way too much asphalt and far too little green space between the building. Even a few grass 'islands' with some trees would go a long way.

Last edited by Chew; Aug 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: update

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's