HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 2:04 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't see this line getting built for a long time , even if SEPTA received billions a year. Its one of those lines that while cheap , wouldn't get the high ridership to make it worthwhile as opposed to other extensions or restorations.
I do wonder how many people travel along the US 202 Corridor. I know there was recent talk of extending some kind of rail link to KOP from either Norristown or Lower Marion, or both. I guess that's still in the discussion stage...

How about travel between Norristown and Fort Washington and Bensalem? Granted it won't get as much ridership as any of the spine lines into Center City, but I suppose it could run as more or less a commuter rail line...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
SEPTA announces ambitious capital-improvement plan
SEPTA has a 19 page viewgraph presentation titled Catching Up which lists the major projects by phases. SEPTA has a seriously long to-do list to catch up on maintenance, repair, and modern rolling stock.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:27 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post
SEPTA has a 19 page viewgraph presentation titled Catching Up which lists the major projects by phases. SEPTA has a seriously long to-do list to catch up on maintenance, repair, and modern rolling stock.
And once again SEPTA is run by idiots , most of their network will not allow Bi-level coaches...they were also offered 30 NJT Locomotives and cars and SEPTA turned down repeatedly...all they needed to do was refurbish the cars and repaint the locomotives....now there headed for the scrap yard because no one else wants them. Why aren't all the stations being high level platformed?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 9:53 AM

^What type cars do you know? Arrow sets or Comets? I'm asking because I believe there is a federal mandate to replace cars above a certain age. I think I read something to that extent from an article about the Silverliner II and III retirement. Also during the "doomsday" budget they mentioned getting rid of all the S IV's but not replacing them....

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 5:10 PM

Here is a list of some of the things SEPTA wants to do

Quote:
One portion of the plan calls for a major overhaul of vehicles, with new locomotives, bi-level coaches, trolleys and Silverliner VI railcars being added in three phases.

Bridge timbers that have been ravaged by time will be replaced on several viaducts on the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line.

Accessibility will be improved to subway stops on the Broad Street line at the Erie, Snyder and Susquehanna-Dauphin stations, the Market-Frankford line's Margaret-Orthodox and 40th Street stations, Knueppel said.

Repairs and, in some cases, makeovers, could be in order for concourses, including the 69th Street West Terminal and the sprawling underground labyrinth in Center City.

"We're hoping to actually be able to do a very signature project at City Hall," Knueppel said.

Exton, Levittown, Conshohocken, East Falls and Paoli are among the numerous railroad stations that will see facelifts under the plan, Knueppel said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...iRKtWT6ezjy.99

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:00 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
^What type cars do you know? Arrow sets or Comets? I'm asking because I believe there is a federal mandate to replace cars above a certain age. I think I read something to that extent from an article about the Silverliner II and III retirement. Also during the "doomsday" budget they mentioned getting rid of all the S IV's but not replacing them....
Comet cars , NJT gave them away to Salt Lake City Front Runner, LA Metrolink , and Trinity Railway Express. The Locomotives are from the 90s , but they couldn't haul more then 4 double decker units.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
And once again SEPTA is run by idiots , most of their network will not allow Bi-level coaches...they were also offered 30 NJT Locomotives and cars and SEPTA turned down repeatedly...all they needed to do was refurbish the cars and repaint the locomotives....now there headed for the scrap yard because no one else wants them. Why aren't all the stations being high level platformed?
SEPTA may have turned down NJT because they had no funding to spare. A look at the SEPTA capital budget document shows that SEPTA has been underfunded for capital projects for many years. The additional state funding will go a long way to improving the SEPTA system, but at $600 million for capital, SEPTA will still be receiving less than its contemporaries in the Northeast: WMATA, NJT, MBTA. The proposed FY2015 budget for WMATA calls for $1.137 billion for the Capital Improvement Program (up from $611 million in FY2011 when they started the rampup).

Why don't all the regional rail stations have high level platforms? Money. SEPTA might get there in a couple of decades. In the meantime, SEPTA hasa huge backlog of critical repairs and replacement projects to work on.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 10:44 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Correct. SEPTA has historically operated at 33% of the funding its NE peer agencies (especially its closest analogue, MBTA) get; now it's 66%. A lot of the problems historically chalked up to bad management were actually problems of severe underfunding; one would hope that as SEPTA approaches its peers' funding levels it would not develop some of their management issues. The MTA, for example, with its unwillingness to install PTC. SEPTA is one of the few agencies that'll actually make deadline.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:27 PM

SEPTA may purchase bi-level coach regional rail cars

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...-level-coaches

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
SEPTA may purchase bi-level coach regional rail cars

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...-level-coaches
I've ridden the bi-level NJT cars. There's not a huge difference in height since the lower level actually sits below the seating level of a one level train. The article also mentioned that Hundai-Rotem is making coaches for Denver. I presume that these cars are being made in South Philly as well? If so, that's nice to see manufacturing happening here in the city again.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 6:26 PM

Septa Plans $650 M expansion to King of Prussia and Valley Forge

Plans to add 4-5 stops to the Norristown Line ending at Valley Forge.Will take 8 years to complete but interesting nonetheless.

[url]http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2014/01/30/septa-releases-new-plans-for-expanded.html[/url

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:07 PM

It would be nice to get to KoP by rail, but I think more would benefit from a NE Philly extension of one of the heavy rail lines. Last I checked, according to Septa's numbers, the MFL has more total riders than the combined Regional Rail system. But if this extension to KoP does get underway I will be both surprised and happy for those who no longer have to drive into the extremely congested area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 9:12 PM

Midnight Subway Service to return?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_North View Post
Love it. Even if it's just open til 3 on the weekends, it's progress. PATCO runs 24 hours and people use it on the weekends just fine to get their drunk selves back to Jersey.

Speaking of PATCO, anyone here use it daily by any chance? It's been uh, interesting the last few months...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_North View Post
This NEEDS to happen. It only makes sense.... and when they extend last call till 3am in Philly, they'll need to run until 4am

But seriously, they should run subway service until 3am Wednesday-Saturday. Philly is a HUGE college city, and Wednesday and Thursday night outs are huge for college kids.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
This NEEDS to happen. It only makes sense.... and when they extend last call till 3am in Philly, they'll need to run until 4am

But seriously, they should run subway service until 3am Wednesday-Saturday. Philly is a HUGE college city, and Wednesday and Thursday night outs are huge for college kids.
Def agree. For what it's worth, this is the petition the guy started. http://change.org/petitions/septa-ru...ne-subway-24-7

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:23 AM

Exclamation Could there be an *epic* septa strike??

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...eportedly.html

Quote:
The Transport Workers Union Local 234 is reportedly preparing a SEPTA strike in case upcoming contract negotiations don't go in its favor, according to Philadelphia magazine which cited a TWU memo. Four SEPTA contracts are set to expire on April 7.

“If negotiations fail,” reads a memo sent by TWU Local 234 to its members on Monday, “the unions representing SEPTA workers may all be on strike at the same time, idling bus, trolley, train and regional rail service for the first time ever.”

There's more:

WU Local 234 is the largest and most powerful of the 17 unions representing SEPTA workers. Where it goes, so go the other unions. The four contracts in question cover approximately 5,400 workers. The first contract set to expire is the TWU City Division, which includes city buses and subways. That division has 4,713 members.

According to the memo, Local 234 president Willie Brown "told SEPTA at the bargaining table [that] the Authority's chances of getting such outrageous concessions are 'as likely as a fish drowning.'"

"Given SEPTA's total disregard for the well-being of our members and their families, Local 234 is now stepping up its preparations for a strike," the memo continues. Union representatives have contacted local supermarkets to "arrange for discounted food" for TWU members and their families should a SEPTA strike ensue.

A TWU spokesperson could not be immediately reached for comment. Is the union just leaking the information to its members and the press to put pressure on SEPTA? That remains to be seen. In the Philadelphia magazine story, a SEPTA spokesperson said the last thing the transportation authority wants is a labor stoppage and says negotiations are ongoing.

SEPTA last had a strike in 2009 which lasted for six days. Perhaps the most famous SEPTA strike was in 1983, when it had a railroad strike of 108 days.

Stay with PBJ.com for more on this developing story.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 6:36 PM

SEPTA strikes aside, I wrote an editorial that got published in the Courier Post about the potential for the new head of NJTransit to address some South Jersey transit issues. Figured someone here might be interested.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...-get-attention

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:

I also heavily agree, going to Drexel, I would love to be able to go out that late without having to worry about the schedule drunk lol

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 9:45 PM

For me it depends on how frequently they come. I would rather have an owl bus every 10 minutes than a subway every 30.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation