HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:21 AM

Surviving Your City For A Weekend

A Helicopter Drops me off on one end of Downtown Friday night..I have a hundred bucks in my pocket. Helicopter will pick me up on the other end Sunday night.
How do I get through the weekend, and have some adventure and fun at the same time? Just for fun thread. What was that video game again? grand theft Auto ha

Last edited by Razor; Jul 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:43 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Houston, TX

...a hundred bucks is way low...

It's Friday night, so I walk to Bayou Place, an entertainment district with night clubs. I go to Lucie's Liquors. Spend about $10.00 to get in, $10.00 on drinks. There is not a hotel available nearby for under a hundred bucks. I sleep beneath the Pierce Elevated. In the morning I get a Breakfast Gyro from Niko Niko's for about $5.00. It's a pita with potatoes and hash browns on the bottom, lamb on top of that and a sunny-side up egg laid over the top. I put Saturday aside for looking at architecture. I travel to the observation deck on top of the Chase Tower, Houston's tallest building, for free. I check out the lobby of Pennzoil Place for free. Pennzoil Place is an optical illusion skyscraper, designed by Philip Johnson. It is two buildings built to look like one building, the lobby reveals they are two buildings. I go to the lobby of the Gulf Tower. A beautiful Art-Deco lobby with a painting on the ceiling, Houston's tallest building from 1940s-1960s. I check out Main Street Square. A plaza in the middle of the road that has fountains shooting over the light rail. I go to our historic district, I go to a park called Discovery Green, I go to Market Square to see the 9/11 memorial and I go to the statue of George Herbert Walker Bush. All free. Lunch at Chipolte, $10.00. I buy a Houston T-Shirt at the Houston visitors center at City Hall, $15.00. Finally, I make reservations to spend Saturday night at Spindletop. It is a rotating restaurant, 400+ ft. high. $40.00. Next day, I spend the final ten dollars on Frank's Pizza to hold me over before I grab the helicopter ride out on Sunday.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:00 PM

Go wait 45 minutes for a bus to the beach.
Try not to get your face eaten.
the end.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Go wait 45 minutes for a bus to the beach.
Try not to get your face eaten.
the end.
You'll have a hard time finding a place to sleep on the the Beach for $100 to cover a whole weekend. I guess you could commute back to the mainland every night a sleep on the streets with the rest of the homeless. Even then I doubt $100 would cover even just food for a weekend in South Beach (probably wouldn't cover a night's drinks these days).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:58 PM
Content provider

Chicago -

make sure you walk north

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 5:49 PM
urbanphile

SF:

North Beach, watch the tourists at the Wharf
In-N-Out ($6)
LiPo($8)
The Monroe Night Club ($10) – Bonus: free drugs and no closing time

Sleep in Dolores Park during the day
“special” brownie($10)
Mission Burrito($6)
Tu Lan ($8)
Youth Hostel ($35)

Trouble Coffee’s Build your own damn house ($9)
Ocean Beach ($2)
Lands’ End
Dim sum in the Richmond ($7.50)

... $101, close enough. You can bum change downtown if you need more.

Last edited by POLA; Jul 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:02 PM

land friday, walk around downtown sampling food at food carts, 5 dollar steak burritos at don pedro or 5 dollar indian sampler with rice at the real taste of india cart. many other options to suit taste. stop off at plaid pantry (local stoner market), purchase 12 pack of pbr or something summer and swilly ($13), walk to MAX station and buy $2.50 ticket, ride train west out of downtown to Washington park. Find place to drink beer and pass out under a tree (lots of options, no cops or rapey types in that park). Wake up, buy $2.50 ticket, ride backdown town. You are smelly, splurge and get $15 day pass and shower at 24 fitness. Go to powells, walk around pearl district, eat at los gorditos or other mexican restaurant (10 bucks). Buy 1 drink at Mary's Club and tip dancers 5 bucks (Oldest strip club in Oregon). Were at about 50 bucks and its 5 in the afternoon. Id probably eat at a food cart again ($8), walk to waterfront and people watch, free, and consider my nighttime options. Id probably head back up to the park, maybe meet some folks hanging out and get drunk under the stars....roll back into town for breakfast burritos (see a trend here) and a coffee. at this point, you might even have a little dough left before the helicopter picks you up again....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:29 PM

London -

USD $100 = £58 and it's £54 for CAD so it would be pretty difficult to make that stretch across an entire weekend especially with drinks. The Oyster alone after converting currency would pretty much kill the budget.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
A Helicopter Drops me off on one end of Downtown Friday night..I have a hundred bucks in my pocket. Helicopter will pick me up on the other end Sunday night.
How do I get through the weekend, and have some adventure and fun at the same time? Just for fun thread.
Are you either "good looking enough to get a decent trick to put you up for the night, and buy you drinks and breakfast" or perhaps are you "not that picky and any trick at all will do"? Cause if your ugly and picky… well this can greatly affect any budget calculations. Please advise so we can place the appropriate numbers into an itinerary spreadsheet.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:44 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

"Cause if your ugly and picky… well this can greatly affect any budget calculations"

Although this advice is spot on, it almost caused me to spit up and snort some lovely Malbec all over my keyboard - thank you for the laugh.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:15 AM

Good stuff so far.

Ottawa

Have helicopter land on parliament hill for added dramatic effect..Announce your arrival.
Head a bit East from hill and head to American embassy..Tell them that you are a friend of Razor's, and you need another $20.00...If you are American, then someone there may be from your home town, so again gain another $20.00...Any other nationality, well one of your embassy's may be on Sussex close to the hill, so let's say everybody gets $20.00 extra ..good?

Next..Take care of business, so if it's a warm summer night pick out a tree in Major Hill's park for your crash spot for later, or check into a homeless shelter..Either the Mission or Sheppard's of good hope..Then grab a free meal from either of these two homeless shelters.Your timing is perfect..Dinner is from 5:00- 7:00 (I think from my volunteer days).

Next, Buy a lawn chair at the GT boutique in the market ($10.00), and we'll assume it's bluesfest season, so hit up the liquor store and buy a few king cans ($ 20.00 for 5 or so ), and hoof over to bluesfest (20 minute walk west) to Lebreton flats..or, jump in the back of bus jam packed with patrons going to bluesfest (free if you slip through back door)..Catch bus from Rideau street literally 5.0 minutes away from where you snagged lawn chair...

Park lawn chair outside of bluesfest fence along Albert street and keeping beer low,enjoy the free concerts from outside with other people doing the same making some friends and smoke some hippie lettuce along the way (if that's your thing)..Watch for cops though..they leave the "free" concert gazers alone, but won't tolerate the drinking in public,so keep King cans low..

When you had enough, ditch lawn chair or give it to one of the people you met outside the "free" fence..Don't attempt to sell it cheap azz..It's just bad kharma.

Jump the bus back to the market..It's real busy, so again hop on the back door..The "bus marshalls" leave these buses alone during bluesfest.

Cruise the market, and people watch..If it's a nice summer night, there will be tourists galore, so find an outdoor patio..I would suggest the Highlander pub, and again make some friends..Generally, other tourists are real friendly, and will invite you to their table after a bit of conversation,especially if they find out you are alone and got dropped off by a helicopter a few hours earlier..Buy a pitcher of Guiness, house brand, Rickards or whatever, and share with your new friends...Another $20.00.

Trip on down to Chases diner and buy some diner food, buy a burrito from "Burrito Burancho", or a smoked meat Sammie from Dunn's .All good choices...Another $15.

All told, you spent $65.00 tonight..$55.00 remaining.

Turn in either at the shelters or that tree you spied earlier..Either way, you can cop a free shower in the morning at a shelter.

Saturday, day 2...Grab free breakfast from mission or coffee and muffin from Macdonalds.
Walk around parliament hill and take free tour. Spend $20 on Ottawa river boat tour, or walk across the river (bridge duh!) to the Quebec side and check out the Museum of civilization..Either way, they will set you back $20.00.

I would be more for the boat tour though..More chillax, and you get a seat for a few hours.

It's near lunch time, so cop another free, albeit bland meal from one of the shelters.

if you have roller blades in your pack sack, cruise up the canal on the paved path, checking out the scenery along the way..Come back and spend $20.00 on a few pints at the LAFF..Lucky Ron and his acoustic will keep you entertained starting at 4:00.

Grab free meal at shelter time, nap under tree and head up Elgin street to night club district...

Don't drink ..Tell Bartenders that you are DD, so get free pop or lime and sodas and rave away making new friends along the way..You are down to $15.00, so buy poutine at Elgin street diner...Explain to dude with scruffy beard that you can't leave tip ..Explain your situation..He'll get it...Trip on down to tree or free bed at shelter.

Wake up with $2.00 left...Score free meal, and Macdonald's coffee.

Walk up to the Iranian Embassy on Metcalfe (half hour walk), jump fence and take them hostage..See how those bastards like it!...Either that or throw them for a loop..Tell them that you want to seek refuge in Iran, then laugh and walk away.

radio in copter..Your done.

Last edited by Razor; Jul 19, 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:18 AM
BANNED

Chicago:
Train to Fullerton.
Walk over to Lincoln and Orchard.
Drink at Halligan ($3 Jameson shots all day, everyday) until you run out of money.
Pass out in the street.
Welcome to Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:41 AM

Wouldn't even cover sushi.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:58 AM
BANNED

You should have more money in the bank if you're using a helicopter to travel the world.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:48 PM

^ Chopper is free..It has sponsorship logos all around it to over the cost. My tee shirt and pack sack also have sponsor's logos.Skyscraper Page being one (cheap azzes though)..Welcome to Capitalism..

Last edited by Razor; Jul 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:14 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

no problem in nyc. you can stay at hostels for $15. get some nutcracker at the delis. dollar slices. dumplings. meat on a stick. grab some fruit at a cart. 5 finger discounts. dine and dashes. take the A train. met. art galleries. freebie snack samples are everywhere. free beer promotions. or like beer w/free bagels on sunday at dba. i had free coffee samples in front of two places just today. you could stretch this $100 weekend out for a week easy!

Last edited by mrnyc; Jul 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:39 PM
Oak City

Charlotte:

Walk or take the bus to NoDa. Drink some dollar fifty PBR at Growlers and grab some fish tacos for $7 at Cabo Fish Taco. Check out a show at one of the venues for 5 or 10 bucks.

After the show at 2am or so, follow to crowd to Amelie's French Bakery back towards center city. It's open 24 hours so buy some juice and salted caramel brownie and find a table in the back to nap on (if you don't look like a bum they will generally give you a pass.)

Next morning go look at some of the fancy crap downtown, piddle around in the new Bearden park, and take the light rail down to Southend and hang out at Common Market. Bum some smokes off the bike messengers. Get a sandwich.

If you're lucky there's a 4 bands for $5 DIY show at Scaredy Cat's that night. Hit that up. Sometimes the touring bands pitch tents out back, so see if you can crash there or see who they are couch surfing with and make friends. Next morning walk or take the bus down to Plaza-Midwood and get brunch at Zada Janes.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:04 PM

Best humor on skyscraperpage.com I have seen in a long time.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
no problem in nyc. you can stay at hostels for $15. get some nutcracker at the delis. dollar slices. dumplings. meat on a stick. grab some fruit at a cart. 5 finger discounts. dine and dashes. take the A train. met. art galleries. freebie snack samples are everywhere. free beer promotions. or like beer w/free bagels on sunday at dba. i had free coffee samples in front of two places just today. you could stretch this $100 weekend out for a week easy!
suppose you plan to visit new york hobo style, what are your chances of getting killed in central park if you plan to bunk out there. conversely, where could you enjoy a hazy starlit night and drink some beers unmolested....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 9:12 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

take the #30 Soulard metrobus from Amtrack station, or #30 Soulard at Civic Center metro stop if youre coming from the airport. Metro rail/bus daypass 7.50.

Stop at the Soulard Farmers market. get the day started with a draft budweisers inside the market, 2.00 a pop, a hot dog is like 1.00, gooey butter cake from a bakery in the market 3.00 (major calories). spend the morning walking through, buy some extra water, and bread or produce for a snack later 3.00.

Walk down to Cherokee St. from Soulard, check out the endless antique stores on the east end, walk west, stop at La Vallesana (or any other cheap taco place) for a couple al Pastor tacos, maybe a cow head taco. 4.50 and a mexican coke 2.00. Take the Jefferson Ave bus back up to Soulard, check in to the Soulard Hostel, 25/bucks a night. Go back out to the Cats Meow, draft beer 1.00 a pop for Natty. Have 5, get a big slice of Pizza from Epic Pizza, eat on the outside stool. 3.00

day one 48.50 (tax not included)

wake up...

Take the #30 Soulard bus to civic center rail stop after a breakfast, 5.00, at the Soulard Market, 7.50 daypass metro bus/rail fair. stop at the DeBaliviere stop, walk to the history museum (free), spend all morning there, have lunch at the nearby forest perk cafe in the park, sanchwich and water, 7 bucks. walk, or take trolley to the Art Museum, Free. Take park trolley up to the Loop, have some korean bbq tacos and people watch, 6 bucks.

Take metro at Delmar or Skinker back downtown, transfer back to the Soulard #30, check back in hostel 25 bucks

day two 50.50

2 full days 99 buh total (tax not included)

piece of bread or fruit from soulard market in the morning, 1 buh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions