HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 3:22 AM

I'd rather this sit as a parking lot until residential demand grows in this area... if they want to open a bank in this section of the city why not open it in one of the empty retail spots on the bottom floor of the Murano?? Hmm that wasn't that hard was it. Save that spot for something large. Thank god this is just a proposal. If the zoning commission denied the design of the Pennsylvania Ballet because it was "not using Broad St." then I seriously doubt they would allow this on MARKET STREET.

Last edited by summersm343; Jan 3, 2012 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I'd rather this sit as a parking lot until residential demand grows in this area... if they want to open a bank in this section of the city why not open it in one of the empty retail spots on the bottom floor of the Murano?? Hmm that wasn't that hard was it. Save that spot for something large. Thank god this is just a proposal. If the zoning commission denied the design of the Pennsylvania Ballet because it was "not using Broad St." then I seriously doubt they would allow this on MARKET STREET.
Its by right meaning they can't legally block it. The other aspect of this is the bank will generate money for the land owners and when residential demand or office demand for something bigger is there the cost to tear down a small bank will be very little. Granted it sucks but looking at it from the land owners point of view a 10-20 year land lease gives them income and development potential down the road. From the banks point of view you get a visible location and can cater to commuters. I am not saying I support this at all but I can completely understand why the land owner would push this and I also think a bank is one of the few tenants that it would financially make sense for.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Its by right meaning they can't legally block it. The other aspect of this is the bank will generate money for the land owners and when residential demand or office demand for something bigger is there the cost to tear down a small bank will be very little. Granted it sucks but looking at it from the land owners point of view a 10-20 year land lease gives them income and development potential down the road. From the banks point of view you get a visible location and can cater to commuters. I am not saying I support this at all but I can completely understand why the land owner would push this and I also think a bank is one of the few tenants that it would financially make sense for.
I understand, I just don't want it to happen lol

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Temple Update

Architecture Building in done, with classes moving in two weeks from now for spring semester

Pearson McGonigal: They are finishing up facade and glass work with an excpected opening of march for the entire building.

11th street Garage: No work as of yet

Wanamaker School Redevelopement: Demo is complete not sure if they have started other work yet.

New Dorm: See thread. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=194697&page=2
Diamond Green: Continued site preparation (10th & Diamond)

Paseo Verde (9th & Berks): Name of construction contractor is posted. No activity on site.

Wanamaker School (11th & Montgomery): Site preparation ongoing. Demolition complete.

12th & Dauphin (rowhouses): Framed to 2nd floor

9th & Norris (5 triplexes): Just went before ZBA on Wednesday.

Parking deck (11th & Berks): Key piece of legislation passed city council in December conveying parcel to Temple. Construction to begin soon, per my source.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:20 PM

Thanks for the updates glad some construction is starting on the other side of the tracks

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 9:08 PM

It does seem like there is construction happening everywhere in the city now.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 9:13 PM

That would be amazing...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 5:43 PM

http://nakedphilly.com/temple/update...ng-is-no-more/

No more Wanamaker School

Picture from NakedPhilly

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:30 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:06 PM

Love it Hammer... hopefully Drexel will get at least most of their plan completed. I don't know if the Powelton Yards will ever get covered in our lifetime but at least the area around 30th St Station can be saved! And hopefully that hideous thing they call a campus.

As for Temple news... had the chance to walk through campus today. New PHA buildings are nearing completion. Didn't get a chance to see the Diamond Green lot, but it looked like there was some equipment there. The Paseo Verde lot is still empty. Some more work has been done at the lot for the proposed parking garage. Some fences have come down and so has some wires that ran across the lot. Pearson McGonigle is looking closer and closer to completion, according to a construction worker it will be done in March

The New Residence Hall (Gateway South? Morgan Hall? Whatever) They are starting the third floor. Looks like ceiling heights could be 12 feet or higher

I have a class in the new Architecture Building this semester and one in Pearson McGonigle. Look forward to picture updates too! Now that I don't have a busy semester

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:54 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:58 AM

http://www.jjtiziou.net/jj/community...-secret-garden

Amazing. I live blocks from here and never knew this existed. Hope this is appropriate for this thread. I felt it needed some air time.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
http://www.jjtiziou.net/jj/community...-secret-garden

Amazing. I live blocks from here and never knew this existed. Hope this is appropriate for this thread. I felt it needed some air time.
They've been trying for several years now to turn this into a park... Callowhill will be completely revitalized if this was ever accomplished.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:55 PM

Xfinity Live Potential

Last night, the TNT broadcast of the Lakers game was done live from L.A. Live, which is adjacent to the Staples Center. From television, it looked impressive, with all of the big screen televisions and the lights. I was imagining the same set up here in Philly. With all 3 stadiums being in such close proximity, perhaps one of the broadcast networks could choose to do a live broadcast from Xfinity Live. I'm sure this wouldn't be out of the question with the NBC/Comcast relationship and NBC's current broadcast rights to Sunday Night Football.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:12 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

New development in Northern Liberties:

http://hiddencityphila.org/2012/01/s...of-the-gate-2/

New proposal (finally!) on Point Breeze Avenue:

http://nakedphilly.com/point-breeze/...nt-breeze-ave/

Along Point Breeze Ave.

Along Titan

Carpenter Square Proposal on Philly Shark

http://phillyshark.blogspot.com/2012...hilly+Shark%29

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 5:05 AM

old new market site

does anyone know if anything is or will happen soon on the old new market site in society hill?

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp....html?page=all

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 8:20 AM

Awesome developments Hammer! and yes... the development from toll brothers is in the design phase... so it will happen soon

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:51 PM

Now if we could just get something going in that godawful strip directly across from the Murano - it's the first view many get coming into 30th Street Station heading downtown, and it looks atrocious. Hopefully the revamp of the AAA building on Market that is currently in progress will kick start things in that area.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 6:42 PM

The parking lots in the area don't bother me as much as the empty lot right next to the IBX building... jesus something needs to be built there already

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:45 PM

Ain't enough construction photos in here.

Walls have come up in the new parking garage (I know, I know) on Arch by the convention center:

They also (finally) have some construction equipment moving pavement around at the 12th and Arch Hotel/Styrofoam box construction site.

I know this isn't development or construction or anything, but I also finally got a chance to check out the new temporary instillation in Lenfest Plaza at PAFA (after hearing about it on NakedPhilly). It's pretty awesome and worth checking out. Way better than the giant Woody Woodpecker statue by Claes Oldenburg they put up on Broad Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development