HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:14 PM

Madison Investment Plans 49 Unit Higher End Residential Project for 11th and I Street

Between this and Forest City's development at 601 L Street SE, hopefully this will encourage development along the lower 8th St corridor. That area has great potential, situated between the rapidly developing Navy Yard and Barrack's Row.

Madison Investment Plans 49 Unit Higher End Residential Project for 11th and I Streets, SE

912 11th Street, SE. Future Site of Madison Investment’s 49 Unit Residential Building (Image courtesy of Capitol Hill Corner).

By Larry Janezich
Capitol Hill Corner
June 11, 2014

"Madison Investments President Sia Madani revealed plans to develop a 49 unit residential building at 912 11th Street, S.E. – the current location of the Washington Auto Club – at ANC 6B’s June meeting last night. The project is three blocks from the lower 8th Street and Barracks Row; close to M Street, SE, and the Navy Yard; and diagonally across 11th and I from the Tyler School playground.

According to representatives of Madison, the units will be heavily weighted toward the two bedroom models. The project is in the Capitol Hill Historic District and will be subject to HPRB review. Madison hopes to go before HPRB at the end of July and will appear before ANC6B’s Planning and Zoning Committee in early July to support its historic preservation application. The company anticipates breaking ground in December of 2014 and that construction will take twelve months..."

http://capitolhillcorner.org/2014/06...#comment-12547

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 2:29 AM

This is extremely good news. Keep filling in all the lots in Capitol Hill proper and eventually PA Ave SE near Potomac Ave SE will get filled in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Between this and Forest City's development at 601 L Street SE, hopefully this will encourage development along the lower 8th St corridor. That area has great potential, situated between the rapidly developing Navy Yard and Barrack's Row.

Madison Investment Plans 49 Unit Higher End Residential Project for 11th and I Streets, SE

912 11th Street, SE. Future Site of Madison Investment’s 49 Unit Residential Building (Image courtesy of Capitol Hill Corner).

By Larry Janezich
Capitol Hill Corner
June 11, 2014

"Madison Investments President Sia Madani revealed plans to develop a 49 unit residential building at 912 11th Street, S.E. – the current location of the Washington Auto Club – at ANC 6B’s June meeting last night. The project is three blocks from the lower 8th Street and Barracks Row; close to M Street, SE, and the Navy Yard; and diagonally across 11th and I from the Tyler School playground.

According to representatives of Madison, the units will be heavily weighted toward the two bedroom models. The project is in the Capitol Hill Historic District and will be subject to HPRB review. Madison hopes to go before HPRB at the end of July and will appear before ANC6B’s Planning and Zoning Committee in early July to support its historic preservation application. The company anticipates breaking ground in December of 2014 and that construction will take twelve months..."

http://capitolhillcorner.org/2014/06...#comment-12547

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:05 PM

Homewood Suites (50 M Street, SE)

Both ANC Commissioner David Garber and the JD Land blog have posted renderings of the proposed Homewood Suiites hotel at 50 M Street, SE, directly across the street from one of the Navy Yard metro entrances.

Image courtesy of David Garber (https://twitter.com/GarberDC/status/...977345/photo/1)

Updated Drawings of Planned Homewood Suites at 50 M
http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/3...uites-at-50-M/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:11 PM

11th & E Street, SE renderings

Here are some renderings, courtesy of the Capitol Hill Corner blog, of the planned 49-unit residential development at 11th & E Street, SE.

http://capitolhillcorner.org/2014/07...-i-streets-se/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:56 PM

Union Market

Edens throws latest pitch for Union Market: Offices, theater, retail and maybe residential

By Michael Neibauer
Washington Business Journal
July 11, 2014

"The transformation of the Florida Avenue Market continues with Edens Realty Inc.'s latest pitch to the D.C. Zoning Commission, this time for more than 500,000 square feet of retail, entertainment, office and possibly residential on and around the Market building.

A planned-unit development application, submitted Thursday, calls for the first-phase construction of a 38,000- to-40,000-square-foot theater atop the existing Market building at 1309 Fifth St. NE, and a four-story, roughly 112,000-square-foot office component atop the theater.

The theater is expected to be an Angelika Film Center, which recently launched a three-screen pop-up theater at Union Market..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto....html?page=all

Urban Turf has a rendering of this:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:58 PM

20-Unit Building in Adams Morgan Seeks BZA Approval

20-Unit Building in Adams Morgan Seeks BZA Approval

By Lark Turner
Urban Turf
July 15, 2014

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"Capital City Real Estate is hoping to build a 20-unit residential building in Adams Morgan, according to plans submitted to the Board of Zoning Adjustment.

The property at 2341 Ontario Road NW (map) is adjacent to the Mary’s Center for Maternal and Child Care. The land is currently used as a parking lot. The site is split-zoned, which is one of the reasons that Capital City is applying for three special exemptions to the zoning code. Capital City wants the height and bulk allowances on one zone to be extended to the part of the lot that’s in the other zone, as well as two other exemptions..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ms_morgan/8735

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Both ANC Commissioner David Garber and the JD Land blog have posted renderings of the proposed Homewood Suiites hotel at 50 M Street, SE, directly across the street from one of the Navy Yard metro entrances.

Image courtesy of David Garber (https://twitter.com/GarberDC/status/...977345/photo/1)

That's definitely not your typical Homewood Suites.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:

I really like this. As was said earlier, this is not your typical Homewood Suites.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:08 PM

Momentum builds for big changes to Franklin Park in downtown D.C.

Momentum builds for big changes to Franklin Park in downtown D.C.

By Michael Neibauer
Washington Business Journal
July 18, 2014

"The team plotting a new life for Franklin Park, 4.79 acres of deteriorating but potentially grand open space in the heart of D.C.'s central business district, is leaning toward a solution for its revitalization.

The National Park Service, working with the D.C. Office of Planning, the Downtown D.C. Business Improvement District, The Olin Studio and ZGF Architects LLP, took its initial Franklin Park concept to the Commission of Fine Arts on Thursday. The CFA, said Secretary Thomas Luebke, was "very supportive of the design."

Anyone who has walked through Franklin Par bounded by 14th Street to the west, Eye Street to the south, 13th Street to the east and K Street to the north — is familiar with its issues. The fountain lacks a filtration system, its base is chipped and its nozzles are only partially operational. The park suffers from erosion and soil compaction. The pavement is crumbling, the benches are small and poorly placed and many of the trees are in poor health..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...klin-park.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:11 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard

Ho Hum, Another Apartment Project, at New Jersey and I

JD Land
July 18, 2014

"The empty lot on the northwest corner of New Jersey and I with the address of 82 I Street is the latest entrant in the latest wave of residential news in Near Southeast, as public records show the 20,000-square-foot site has been sold for what the deed says is $12.25 million.

The Washington Business Journal reports that the lot was purchased by Greystar with plans for a 234-unit apartment building, with what they say is an October 2014 start date, though they'd better start filing building permit applications soon to meet that date..."

http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/4...-Jersey-and-I/

The Washington Business Journal has a rendering of the proposed building: http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...=image_gallery

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:06 PM
life is good

wrong thread

Last edited by Eightball; Jul 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:29 PM

20 Units Coming to Steak ‘n Egg Site in Tenleytown

Urban Turf
By Lark Turner
July 28, 2014

"A new 16- to 20-unit mixed-use project bordering Tenleytown and American University Park at 4700 Wisconsin Avenue NW (map) has been proposed with three of the 27 parking spots it requires under zoning.

The building is on the site of Osman and Joe’s Steak ‘n Egg Kitchen, and the developer, Frank Economides, will raze the Steak ‘n Egg building and an adjacent one to move ahead with the project. The developer is working with Richard Foster Architects on the development.

When raze permits for the property were first filed, the thought that Steak ‘n Egg might close set off a neighborhood firestorm. But Steak ‘n Egg is safe, as Washington City Paper has previously reported. Economides told UrbanTurf the popular 24-hour diner will return to the site as one of the new building’s retail tenants..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...enleytown/8788

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:53 PM
Chairman

Quote:

Urban Turf
By Lark Turner
July 28, 2014

"A new 16- to 20-unit mixed-use project bordering Tenleytown and American University Park at 4700 Wisconsin Avenue NW (map) has been proposed with three of the 27 parking spots it requires under zoning.

The building is on the site of Osman and Joe’s Steak ‘n Egg Kitchen, and the developer, Frank Economides, will raze the Steak ‘n Egg building and an adjacent one to move ahead with the project. The developer is working with Richard Foster Architects on the development.

When raze permits for the property were first filed, the thought that Steak ‘n Egg might close set off a neighborhood firestorm. But Steak ‘n Egg is safe, as Washington City Paper has previously reported. Economides told UrbanTurf the popular 24-hour diner will return to the site as one of the new building’s retail tenants..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...enleytown/8788
Thank God Steak 'n Eggs will be a part of this development. Unfortunately there will not be a temporary location until the completion of construction.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:44 PM

Despite living in Tenley for two years, I am embarrassed to admit that I've never eaten at Steak & Egg. I need to make a trip there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:48 PM

A greener Eastern Market plaza may be on the way

This looks like a great proposal but first step should be to address the loitering in front of the 7/11 and Starbucks on Barracks Row, where unfortunately, there was a fatal stabbing earlier this year.

Next, the redevelopment of the Hine School into new mixed-use housing needs to proceed. In the interim, however, it would be nice to have another community vegetable garden on the open space in front of the Hine School until it is redeveloped.

A greener Eastern Market plaza may be on the way

By David Cranor
July 30, 2014
Greater Greater Washington

The Metro entrance, library entry pavilion, and water feature on the southwest parcel. (Image via Greater Greater Washington).

"Where today the parks around the Eastern Market Metro are mostly tired expanses of grass with a few trees, the parks soon could contain an expanded library, formal playground, cafe-style tree bosque and several stormwater management features. The roads and sidewalks around the square could also get a better layout..."

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...be-on-the-way/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:55 PM

US Dept. of Energy headquarters

This is an excellent proposal. Between the Wharf development, continued development at the SW Waterfront station, the DC United stadium (hopefully!) and the Southwest Ecodistrict redevelopment, there is enormous potential for Southwest.

Currenly, the Dept. of Energy headquarters is a tremendously inefficient use of land for a site that is next to two metro stations and is located immediately next to the Mall.

Norton Bill for Public-Private Partnerships and Smart Planning to Redevelop DOE Headquarters, SW Ecodistrict

July 29, 2014

"WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), a senior member on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management, introduced yesterday the Department of Energy (DOE) Forrestal Complex Redevelopment Act, which directs the General Services Administrator (GSA) to redevelop the Forrestal Complex at 1000 Independence Avenue SW, and enter into public-private partnerships in accordance with the National Capital Planning Commission’s (NCPC) SW Ecodistrict Plan.

“Just as I am working for a public-private partnership for some buildings for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) complex in Ward 8, the DOE Forrestal Complex is a natural fit for this approach,” Norton said. “The Forrestal Complex has the potential to serve as a gateway to renewed development in the downtown Mall section of the District of Columbia. For years, our Committee has held hearings to encourage the more efficient use or disposal of federal property. My bill will give DOE a new headquarters and free up centrally located land for mixed-use development...”

http://norton.house.gov/media-center...rt-planning-to

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:33 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Despite living in Tenley for two years, I am embarrassed to admit that I've never eaten at Steak & Egg. I need to make a trip there.
Be sure to get a cholesterol check before you go. You will need the room in your arteries.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Be sure to get a cholesterol check before you go. You will need the room in your arteries.
Lipator for dessert!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:15 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Lipator for dessert!
Crestar for the appetizer.

Hence why it is so damn good.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:24 PM

Southwest library

The best outcome would have been to relocate the main MLK library from its current Metro Center location to L'Enfant Plaza. This would have been in an equally transit-accessible location and it would have encouraged the redevelopment of L'Enfant as part of the Southwest Ecodistrict initiative, as well as providing activity during non-business and weekend hours. Additionally, by selling the more valuable Metro Center property, the DC government could have likely earned enough revenue to signficantly fund much of the cost of a new library.

My preference for the Southwest library is to move it to the 4th Street site as part of a mixed-use development. With this public/private partnership, a private developer could pay for some or all of the cost of a new library, much-needed housing would be built in a location very close to a metro station, and it would provide more pedestrians and vibrancy to the developing 4th Street SW corridor.

Potential Library Move to 4th Street Proves to be Controversial

Southwest, the Little Quadrant that Could
August 4, 2014

Image courtesy of 'Southwest, the Little Quadrant that Could.'

"DMPED owns the northeast parcel of land at Waterfront Station next to CVS, about a block from the current library and has floated the idea of moving the SW branch library to this location. The library would be incorporated into a mixed-use building with residential units above, built by a private developer in a similar way to what is proposed for the West End branch library. Some of the reasons stated for moving the library to 4th Street’s retail corridor include (although most of these reasons are not exclusive to moving the library):
•Increased foot traffic to library and retailers
•Better accessibility for Amidon-Bowen students
•More transit accessible (closer to Metro, new Circulator stop)
•Can balance community’s desire for prominent library but still have space for retail
•Current library site is controlled by DC government, so any redevelopment there will include input from ANC6D and the community.
•A new library will be built sooner and without interruption in service to the neighborhood
•More environmentally responsible if located in a mixed-use building

http://www.swtlqtc.com/2014/08/poten...th-street.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations