HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-overcrowding/

Despite overcrowding and construction, Salt Lake City International Airport soars to No. 2 in quality ranking
Sky Harbor has its Sky Train which is accessible by light rail and then stops at the East Economy Lot which has two large parking garages steps from the train plus open parking.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 11:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:54 PM

Retailers for the new airport announced.

Quote:
A mix of 29 local and national retail, news and gift stores will pack the rebuilt Salt Lake City International Airport when its first phase opens in late 2020 — and by contract they will keep prices there as low as in stores elsewhere in the city.

Among local merchants and services to be featured are Hip & Humble, Liberty Park Market, Maverik, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, the King’s English, Visit Salt Lake, The Salt Lake Tribune, Deseret News and KSL-TV.

Among the national and international brands are XpressSpa, iStore, Coach, CNBC, FRYE and Tumi.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-city-unveils/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 6:46 AM
One Thing At A Time

Looking forward to hearing what bars and restaurants ended up getting chosen. I know that several local spots bid for a place in the airport including Quarters Arcade Bar and Whiskey Street!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 2:19 AM
Exit 298

I'm still confused how the underground corridor to Concourse B works.

Will it be a people mover like Denver? Or a moving sidewalk?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I'm still confused how the underground corridor to Concourse B works.

Will it be a people mover like Denver? Or a moving sidewalk?
Moving sidewalk like O'hare's United terminal

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 5:46 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Moving sidewalk like O'hare's United terminal
Will it be kinda trippy like O’Hare and Detroit? Or lame like Boston’s Teriminal A?

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Will it be kinda trippy like O’Hare and Detroit? Or lame like Boston’s Teriminal A?
Most likely lame because no request was put out for an artist and nothing has been publicized unlike the canyon wall. But the tunnel was part of the project later in the process so it very well could still be funky, especially considering all of the art commissioned was commissioned when the project was a smaller scale meaning there is possibly a higher quota to meet for artwork spending. But we do have the canyon wall which will have colored spotlights illuminating it which is unique, so i guess it’s not all lame.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 9:19 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Aw that’s less fun.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 7:23 AM
One Thing At A Time

Trippy tunnel or I riot!!!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:32 PM

As of the end of November, SLC had 23.5 million passengers for 2018. The yearly total for SLC will come in near 25.5 million passengers. That is pretty impressive. I have no doubt that Delta will grow their operations in SLC once the rebuild is complete. I was connecting through SLC on Sunday night around 9 PM and the airport was packed. I had never seen it like that. Good news for SLC. Hopefully they will build more than 78 gates. That won't be enough to handle the growth.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:02 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandopilot View Post
As of the end of November, SLC had 23.5 million passengers for 2018. The yearly total for SLC will come in near 25.5 million passengers. That is pretty impressive. I have no doubt that Delta will grow their operations in SLC once the rebuild is complete. I was connecting through SLC on Sunday night around 9 PM and the airport was packed. I had never seen it like that. Good news for SLC. Hopefully they will build more than 78 gates. That won't be enough to handle the growth.
At first, only the concourse attached to the terminal was to completed and then a couple years later the north concourse would be built. We are now getting the south and north concourses built at the same time so that is an improvement. If the IOC selects Salt Lake for the 2030 Olympics or we end up getting the 2026 Olympics (with everyone pulling out these days) the north concourse could end up being extended to its full size much sooner.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:59 PM
One Thing At A Time

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Lol the watered down (and kinda poorly written) ksl version of that story reported it as “a new 110 seat aircraft...with the widest seats in the industry...the new airbus A330-200.”

https://www.ksl.com/article/46471503...irport-expands

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:12 PM

SLC finished the year with 25.6 million passengers in 2018. That is about 5% increase over 2017. Santa Barbara, Ca added for 3x daily starting in fall on Delta.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:20 AM

The announced the restaurant lineup for the new terminal:

Concourse A/Terminal Plaza
-Beans & Brews
-Bruges Belgian Bistro
-Cafe Rio
-California Pizza Kitchen
-Fillings & Emulsions
-Granatos
-Market Street Grill
-Panda Express
-Pago
-Panera Bread
-Pizzeria Limone
-Pulp Lifestyle Kitchen
-Shake Shack
-SLC Life Market/Creminelli Fine Meats
-Squatters Pub
-Starbucks (2)
-White Horse Spirits & Kitchen

Concourse B
-Pick Up Stix
-Silver Diner -Smashburger
-Uinta Brewing Company -Wasatch Pub

Pre-Security
-Blue Lemon -Starbucks (Level One)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:36 PM
One Thing At A Time

I'm half happy with this list of restaurants. There are some great selections like Bruges, Pago, and White Horse, but there is also some awful selections like Pick Up Sticks (non-local chain that I've never even heard of) Panera, and California Pizza Kitchen. I just think it is kind of embarrassing to be showing off local fair and have a restaurant with California in it's name. Couldn't have gotten The Pie or Maxwell's on board? Like I said, happy with a lot of the list but some of this stuff is just terrible.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
I'm half happy with this list of restaurants. There are some great selections like Bruges, Pago, and White Horse, but there is also some awful selections like Pick Up Sticks (non-local chain that I've never even heard of) Panera, and California Pizza Kitchen. I just think it is kind of embarrassing to be showing off local fair and have a restaurant with California in it's name. Couldn't have gotten The Pie or Maxwell's on board? Like I said, happy with a lot of the list but some of this stuff is just terrible.
CPK is everywhere, and in a LOT of airports across the country. I'm sure it's costing a LOT to be in the new SLC airport, as is the norm for most airports I assume, which is why you see more chains and bigger brands vs small local places.

Wow, Panera's first Utah location that I know of... I've been seeing Panera ads on TV (albeit national networks, so maybe they're just paying for all markets) but was curious why they'd spend to be in Utah. Maybe they're priming the pump for an expansion and to take on Kneaders.

Pick Up Stix is a CA chain, sort of like a Pei Wei if you ever ate at one of the local locations (they only have one left in Sandy, used to have one in Bountiful too). Not bad, better than Panda.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Wow, Panera's first Utah location that I know of... I've been seeing Panera ads on TV (albeit national networks, so maybe they're just paying for all markets) but was curious why they'd spend to be in Utah. Maybe they're priming the pump for an expansion and to take on Kneaders.
Panera bought Paradise Bakery which had a few Utah locations. They then closed most of them (Bountiful is the only one I know of still open maybe). I thought they would convert them to Panera but they did not. I am surprised Panera hasn't jumped into Utah but maybe this will be the start.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
I don't have any experience with other airports, but is this really different? I find it unlikely that there would be any international airport that would have only local chains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West