HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:56 PM

February 2015 traffic data released.

Some points I found interesting:
  • "Total passenger traffic for February 2015 was 738,355, up 8% compared to February 2014"
  • "Total passenger traffic for January – February YTD was 1,517,836, up 7% compared to January – February 2014"

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:28 PM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:34 PM

Anyone but Delta honestly. I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with that airline. There's a reason my mileage plan on SkyTeam is with KE. I'd be open to United or American though, which I know is unlikely given our positions relative to the American and United hubs

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

As much as a hub would be cool, I kinda like that ABIA isn't a true hub. It shows how strong we are as a O&D airport.

If we become a hub I'd like to see something other than the typical domestic big carriers of which have slimmed down some of their hubs over the past few years as it is. I read an article awhile back about the hub spoke system and that we will see a shift away from that over time due to a wider range of cost effective fuel efficient airplanes such as the Dreamliner. I can't remember the publication I read it from and I wish I saved it but it was an interesting read.

It would be cool to see an international carrier develop some type of hub system or maybe a new airline company HQ here although those are probably less likely to happen. Maybe one of the low cost airlines like Allegiant could develop a secondary hub. In a way Jet Blue has a small connecting hub between the east and west coasts. The more direct routes a carrier adds to Austin the more like a hybrid hub we become I guess. Market demand would be the driving force for such a development. I would think if an airline does decide to make Austin some sort of hub then they would pitch in for terminal expansion.

On another subject, it's the last day of March. Getting kinda antsy about the upcoming announcement. I hope it's going to be made sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
As much as a hub would be cool, I kinda like that ABIA isn't a true hub. It shows how strong we are as a O&D airport.

On another subject, it's the last day of March. Getting kinda antsy about the upcoming announcement. I hope it's going to be made sooner rather than later.
Amen on both counts.

I've got the Airport News section on my RSS reader and every time I get a "new" icon in April I can assure you I'll get super-excited.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:11 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
Anyone but Delta honestly. I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with that airline. There's a reason my mileage plan on SkyTeam is with KE. I'd be open to United or American though, which I know is unlikely given our positions relative to the American and United hubs
Agreed, I've flown Delta so many times with disappointments that I don't even consider them an option anymore.

United is my favorite major U.S. airline, especially with the Star Alliance connections. I also have Asia Miles, which takes into account a bit of the One World group as well. I too like that Austin's not a major airport hub - it's always a relief coming back to Austin after flying through the Shanghai's, Beijing's, LAX's, and DFW's of the world. It's very well designed and small. People aren't in as much of a rush (except around SXSW, etc., I suppose). A bit of expansion is clearly needed, but I don't want to see it as large as some of the others - just a personal preference.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Agreed, I've flown Delta so many times with disappointments that I don't even consider them an option anymore.

A bit of expansion is clearly needed, but I don't want to see it as large as some of the others - just a personal preference.
My mileage plans are with Qantas, KE, and AirCanada respectively. Qantas because I'm in Australia a lot, KE because they have the best benefits for high-mileage and/or lifetime, and AirCanada because of the same as KE.

I generally fly OneWorld (AA, BA, and QF most frequently) and in my opinion American has gotten much better since the rebranding move and merger. I tend to have issues with United, but nowhere near as many as Delta. I wouldn't mind Austin becoming a focus city for an airline or two, and that's something I can see happening easily, but I think a hub would be a bit much.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:05 AM

A

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:44 AM

I am... Concerned by the seemingly glacial pace with which expansions are going. The East Infill is gonna be great but I mean if we've had an 8% increase in February which, if I remember correctly is one of the slowest months, then I'd put money on this being a hell of a year.

On that note, does anybody have any information on how Taxiway A is coming along?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:50 AM

Quote:
8% increase in February
That's even more impressive considering there were quite a few cancellations in February due to bad weather in other parts of the country including DFW and the Northeast.

BTW, did anyone notice how close American and United are now in terms of passenger counts? United was actually ahead of American in January. American was ahead of United in February and Y-T-D United is ahead of American by a whopping.......24 passengers. Of course American's flight to MIA hasn't started yet, so they'll probably continue to be the #2 carrier.

Edited to add - I forgot that US Airways traffic is still reported separately from AA. When the two carriers are combined, AA will still be a strong #2.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Apr 2, 2015 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:25 AM

Well with growth this strong it might be time to bring the wild speculation game over to this thread. Speculate wildly about airports that will have direct nonstop service to Austin that you would like to see within the next 25 years that there hasn't been rumours about. I'll go first:

KEF, EZE, NRT, CDG, HAV, DEL (though I feel that Emirates to DXB or Qatar to DOH serving India would be more plausible) and MSN and BUF for purely personal reasons

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:58 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
My mileage plans are with Qantas, KE, and AirCanada respectively. Qantas because I'm in Australia a lot, KE because they have the best benefits for high-mileage and/or lifetime, and AirCanada because of the same as KE.

I generally fly OneWorld (AA, BA, and QF most frequently) and in my opinion American has gotten much better since the rebranding move and merger. I tend to have issues with United, but nowhere near as many as Delta. I wouldn't mind Austin becoming a focus city for an airline or two, and that's something I can see happening easily, but I think a hub would be a bit much.
I agree - no need for another Texas hub, really. A focus city might not be a bad thing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:37 AM

[

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Speaking of service to Asia, did anyone happen to see this in the Austin Business Journal?

High-powered summit aims to link Austin, Chinese entrepreneurs
Mar 27, 2015

Quote:
Chinese investors and business owners will mingle in Austin Monday and Tuesday with American companies seeking partnerships and foreign expansions.

The 2015 China-U.S. Private Investment Summit will also include a keynote speech from President Bill Clinton. Day one of the Summit will provide a series of expert panel discussions about the business, historical and cultural relationships of the two countries. Day two will feature closed-door investment project pitches with Chinese and U.S. investors.
Seoul would make a good connection airport for those continuing on to China. Just sayin'

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 1:33 PM

Saw a Qatar 777 this morning. Royalty in town checking on their investments?

Also, at Austin Executive, there is a "DHL" DC-9 parked. It's been there for a while. Their Facebook page responded to someone saying that it is privately owned and staying there a few weeks before it goes for paint. Anyone know who it belongs to?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:01 PM

[

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:32 PM

BA Cargo Booming

H

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:58 PM

AUS Getting A 747?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Heard the cargo loads on the BA flight are some of the most profitable in their entire network both coming and going. No updates on if/when they might upgauge. Last I heard was a 47 in October.

789's due to enter service in September so maybe....

So we are getting a 747 from BA in October or is this just the rumor? Also, any new news on KE?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:18 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS View Post
So we are getting a 747 from BA in October or is this just the rumor? Also, any new news on KE?
BA has yet to indicate any equipment change on this route. However, indications (more like rumors) are that this will more than likely change sometime in the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:26 PM

I don't think Austin will see any 747s regularly scheduled here ever. The fact that airlines are retiring their 747s in lieu of twinjets is the biggest factor. BA has recently downgauged their 747 to DFW to a 77W. Cargo would need to be coming here in large quantities.

Then again, BA upgauged their 772 to DEN to a 747 earlier ago. Weird huh?

Last edited by DoubleC; Apr 9, 2015 at 2:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin