HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwx View Post
Here's the slides from a presentation in August for the downtown transit gateway. I'm curious about the green line shown in these.

In the renderings towards the end, I think I prefer the "ufo" plan.
I would love the greenline getting built. I won't be living at the same place by the time it gets built though. It'll really empty out 290 to the point that the 290 toll was a waste of money...WHICH, is why they aren't going to build it of course. There really hasn't been much traffic anymore on the 290 corridor from 130 to 35.

They could have spent those 290 tollway funds on a 183 tollway (I know), then build the greenrail to alleviate 290 traffic.

Just curious, I wonder if I may change anyone's perspective, but does anybody suppose that toll roads aren't that bad? The new roads we've been getting are expensive (and thus tolled, I think), but large and can easily be expanded in the future. On the other hand, they could have spent less money to build a smaller highway that couldn't easily be expanded in the future (for example, they could have built a 290 freeway on the grassy median that once existed, leaving everything else intact). Thoughts? I'm honestly still against tolls since it appears it's all we're getting promised, and there are /always/ means of getting funds. How else can Houston be getting a 3rd "loop" around the city? (see link below). Other states manage just fine without making new freeways toll roads (this statement is on thin ice lol).

http://www.utahburden.com/Blog/Grand-Parkway-Info

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
There really hasn't been much traffic anymore on the 290 corridor from 130 to 35.
Just wait. It'll come soon enough. The population of Manor quadrupled in the last 10 years.
<personal anecdotes> I've got friends building off of Harris Branch, friends who moved to Elgin and commute in. They do it because it's still affordable out there. </personal anecdotes>

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:46 PM

Quote:
I would love the greenline getting built. I won't be living at the same place by the time it gets built though. It'll really empty out 290 to the point that the 290 toll was a waste of money...WHICH, is why they aren't going to build it of course. There really hasn't been much traffic anymore on the 290 corridor from 130 to 35.

They could have spent those 290 tollway funds on a 183 tollway (I know), then build the greenrail to alleviate 290 traffic.

Just curious, I wonder if I may change anyone's perspective, but does anybody suppose that toll roads aren't that bad? The new roads we've been getting are expensive (and thus tolled, I think), but large and can easily be expanded in the future. On the other hand, they could have spent less money to build a smaller highway that couldn't easily be expanded in the future (for example, they could have built a 290 freeway on the grassy median that once existed, leaving everything else intact). Thoughts? I'm honestly still against tolls since it appears it's all we're getting promised, and there are /always/ means of getting funds. How else can Houston be getting a 3rd "loop" around the city? (see link below). Other states manage just fine without making new freeways toll roads (this statement is on thin ice lol).

I think managed toll roads are a great way to ensure that only those who need to be driving and not using an alternate mode of transportation are using the roadways. Our current system subsidizes roads at the expense of other modes of transportation since there's only so much money to go around. If you make all major road expansion projects tolls, while also redirecting funds towards rail lines, buses, bike lanes, etc you start to address the bigger transportation issues.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:

I used 290 toll twice and I live in Leander. Waze app told me to go 183A > 45 Toll > 130 Toll > 290 Toll. So what would have taken an hour down 183A/183/Mopac took 40min by taking the tolls into town. Yes it cost like $5+ in tolls but for time it was 80mph the whole way. It will get used more, 130 has increased use it seems and 290 will too i think.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I used 290 toll twice and I live in Leander. Waze app told me to go 183A > 45 Toll > 130 Toll > 290 Toll. So what would have taken an hour down 183A/183/Mopac took 40min by taking the tolls into town. Yes it cost like $5+ in tolls but for time it was 80mph the whole way. It will get used more, 130 has increased use it seems and 290 will too i think.
If by $5+ you mean the gas money you indirectly spent by driving 80mph .

I take the 290 toll 1 out of 3 times that I pass through 290. I really wish they didn't toll the bridges as well. I wonder what else they'll come up with in the future.. heck, at the Eastbound terminus, people are charged again (same for the 183A toll at the Southern end). The connectors really do save a lot of time, so I always take them.

I wonder if I'm the only one who's frustrated that there's no 290W-35N connector, yet there's a connector going 290E-35S....seems like Austin is the only town I've been to that lacks connectors at major interchanges.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:02 AM

No. You're definitely not the only one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin