HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 10:36 AM

It's clearly inspired by the Pan Pacific Auditorium, but it differs in many details. Here's the real thing from 1943. This image was previously posted by gsjansen in post #2419.

LAPL

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

Quote/Paul Wright, an aviation company executive, and his friend, John Kimmel, attended a private club meeting on the evening of November 9, 1937. After the meeting they went out for a nightcap at Clara Bow's "It Cafe" in Hollywood. It was getting very late so Paul suggested that John accompany him home, ostensibly to provide back-up when his wife Evelyn questioned him about where, and with whom, he had spent the evening. It was after 2 a.m. when they pulled up to Paul's hilltop home in Glendale. Once inside Paul said he felt fatigued and went to the bedroom for a nap--leaving Evelyn to entertain John. Paul later recalled the events of that night, "I was awakened by some sort of sound--like a piano. It started me out of my sleep. I went to the living room door and saw that the lights were still on. Johnny was sitting at the piano. I could just see his head. He was looking downward. I couldn't see Evelyn and I wondered where she was." It didn't take him long to figure out where his wife was. At that moment everything inside of Paul exploded in what he later described as a "white flame." He got his gun and shot John and Evelyn to death. Paul was put on trial for the slayings. His attorney, Jerry Giesler, had conceived of a creative defense for his client. He said that Paul's WWI service (during which he was gassed), a post-war tuberculosis attack, and a voluntary vasectomy combined to make him emotionally unstable--capable of more violent reactions to shock than normal men. At the time of his arrest Paul had confessed to the murders, but when he got to trial his story changed and his memory conveniently began to fail him. How would the jury view his shifting story? The jury of eight men and four women listened to the x-rated testimony and contemplated Giesler's vasectomy defense. In the end, they found Paul Wright guilty on two counts of manslaughter. But there was a twist--the jury also found that he had been insane at the time of the murders so he was not guilty. When the Lunacy Commission examined Wright they concurred with the jury that Paul Wright was no longer insane. He was freed and would never serve a single day in prison.

Nov 10, 1937
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00127/00127991.jpg

Great noir... Love all the dancing around "Kimmel was sitting on the piano bench looking down...Mrs. Wright was not in view..."... "In death her head was positioned under the piano bench." Hmmm wonder what she up to. Well, maybe Kimmel died with a smile on his face. Anyway, a few items from various publications from around the country. The case was very well covered....

Mirror as periscope... celebrities in a photo... lying in bed until after noon...

Wright appears to have been living in New York in the 1940 census (at the Hotel Winslow at the NE corner of Madison & 55th). The Times reported that the shooting took place at 1830 Verdugo Vista in Glendale. The Mediterranean-style house remains there today. A GSV aerial of it dated 2016 conforms to a schematic of it that appeared in the Times on Jan 20, 1938:

The murders took place in the far corner... Pic from a real estate site for the house: verdugovistadrive.com

Architectural details etc are in this report on the proposal for the house to be included in Glendale's Register of Historic Resources: http://www.ci.glendale.ca.us/governm..._021915/7a.pdf

Couldn't locate Kimmel's cute little house--rented from a Chris Hansen, a U.S. narcotics agent --at first. There was a Times reference to it being at "1424 Townsend Ave" in Glendale-- the number matches the one over the house's door; the reporter must have mixed up his addresses, relying on a directory with the misinformation. Anyway, the house was, and is-- seemingly unchanged--at 1414 THOMPSON Avenue in Glendale:

LAT, Life et al

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 10, 2016 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Here's a 2.57 minute silent film ...cruising around LAX in the 1960s era [with added ''surf rock'' music ]. This is the way it used to be...all very simple and with little traffic.

Thanks to Pamela Greyson's LOST LOS ANGELES YouTube channel.

Link here:
https://youtu.be/kURq7nXXamo

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's another one you might like. ''Cruisin' La Brea..1960s" ...57sec.

Link: https://youtu.be/A_d4w7atCzA

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 10, 2016 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Thanks to Pamela Greyson's LOST LOS ANGELES YouTube channel.
She'll get no praise from me. She has repeatedly posted photos to her "LOST LOST ANGELES" Twitter account that I own and have under copyright, without my permission. I have filed numerous complaints with Twitter about it, to no avail.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:11 PM

Thanks to GW and Tourmaline for the follow-ups on 1500 Wilshire Bouelvard.

-----------------

We've seen the subject of this Julius Shulman photoset before. It's referred to here as the Lucien Lelong Building, but you can see its earlier incarnation as Chesterfield's Furniture Company courtesy of Godzilla and BifRayRock in post #19190. This is "Job 11: Spaulding and Rex, Lucien Lelong Building (Los Angeles, Calif.),1947".

Looking north across Wilshire, there's a glimpse of Switzer's on the left.

On the other side of New Hampshire is the tiled Texaco station which we've also seen before. On the right are the Town House and Bullocks.

The final shot shows the Gaylord just along Wilshire and the Wiltern in the distance.

All from Getty Research Institute

By coincidence, I found that the demo permit is dated exactly 45 years ago today. The Mirae Bank now occupies the northwest corner of Wilshire and New Hampshire.

GSV

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 10:34 PM

In the interest...okay, my interest...of posting any reference at all to Monkey Island, I don't
believe that Michael Ryerson has posted this photo before, that I saw on his Flickr account.

Michael Ryerson

And caption:

Aerial view of the Lankershim Bridge in Universal City, that was destroyed by flood waters in 1938. People gathered at the ends of the bridge to watch the waters rage past the now destroyed bridge. After the great storm of 1938, due to public outcry, the Army Corps of Engineers began the 20 year project to create the permanent concrete channel which still contains most of the of riverbed today. We are looking southwest with Universal Studios in the center of the image. Cahuenga Boulevard is seen running from middle right to center top. The Lankershim Boulevard bridge over the Los Angeles river has been washed out. Cahuenga Boulevard (to the left) becomes Ventura Boulevard (to the right) at the point which it meets Lankershim Boulevard. And yes, Monkey Island shows (albeit very indistinct) in this shot.
___

Although I should be able to, for some reason I am having trouble figuring out which streets are which in this photo and where the indistinct Monkey Island would be. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 10:49 PM

Remember the silver aerotrain demonstrator (1955) I posted a couple weeks ago?
Here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=33367

Well, I happened across a slide of the rear end.

eBay

I would consider this a design FAIL. (I think it resembles a hearse)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 10, 2016 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 10:57 PM

I don't believe we've seen Angelino's on NLA

1950s menu
[/URL]
eBay

I haven't checked to see if the buildings are still standing because I can't quite make out the street numbers.

That, and I'm fighting a bad cold. *cough cough*
It is 8 degrees here this morning
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 19, 2016 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

In the interest...okay, my interest...of posting any reference at all to Monkey Island, I don't
believe that Michael Ryerson has posted this photo before, that I saw on his Flickr account.

Michael Ryerson

Although I should be able to, for some reason I am having trouble figuring out which streets are which in this photo and where the indistinct Monkey Island would be. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Here's roughly the same view today. We're looking roughly south-southeast. Monkey Island would've been very much in the distance,

Google Earth

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:02 PM

I can't help with the identification, but lightening it up makes some more detail available:

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:10 PM

I don't believe we've seen this either.

old file

Pencil inscription on reverse. "S. Side of Wilshire, E of Loomis Sept. 18, 1926"

Epstein Bros. Tailor Shop on the left. (mystery sign on the roof next door, far left)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 1, 2016 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
She'll get no praise from me. She has repeatedly posted photos to her "LOST LOST ANGELES" Twitter account that I own and have under copyright, without my permission. I have filed numerous complaints with Twitter about it, to no avail.
The Rules on photos is still rather murky and not well understood. She should at least give you some credit for the photo use.

As I understand it, its generally OK to use photos, written quotes and short film clips for ''historic, educational and information'' purposes without violating copyright laws.

People get into hot water when they use someone's photos to gain income or money in some manner.....without permission.

I've been threatened several times on this issue. I do one of two things, I remove the photo or ignore the threat. Sometimes I apologize but that is very rare.

Personally I have never complained about someone using my photos...I feel its flattering that they would like it and they're welcome to it. Life is too short to get into a snit for nothing.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't believe we've seen this either.

old file

Pencil inscription on reverse. "S. Side of Wilshire, E of Loomis Sept. 18, 1926"

Epstein Bros. Tailor Shop on the left. (mystery sign on the roof next door, far left)

__

Loomis was a one-block street north of Wilshire, now under the Harbor Freeway. In the 1926 CD, Isaac Epstein had a tailor shop at 944 Wilshire. Looks like the building in the background is the Wellington at 953 W. Seventh St., seen in HossC's post 19687 and perhaps others:

USCDL

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 10, 2016 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
(I'm fighting a bad cold and I've been lazy) It was 8 degrees here this morning.
Sorry to hear this ER.
When I was ill, my doctor, pictured below, told me to rest and get lots of fluids. I liked him....so kind.

arena productions

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 11, 2016 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Loomis was a one-block street north of Wilshire, now under the Harbor Freeway. In the 1926 CD, Isaac Epstein had a tailor shop at 944 Wilshire. Looks like the building in the background is the Wellington at 953 W. Seventh St., seen in HossC's post 19687 and perhaps others:

USCDL
I hadn't considered the Wellington. The Epstein Bros' business was at 950 Wilshire Boulevard in the 1927 CD. That's across the street from the Rex Arms, which was at 945 Wilshire Boulevard. Here they are on a slightly different detail view from the same circa 1929 cityscape, but there's just an empty lot next to the Epstein Bros. The 1927 CD also lists Sunland Laboratories at 916 Wilshire Boulevard. So far, that was the only possibility I'd found for the signage on the left of e_r's picture.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:14 AM

Thank you HossC and Earl Boebert, now I can figure out the angles of that 1938 Universal City flood photo!
___

Quote:
It was 8 degrees here this morning.
It was 88 degrees here in L.A. today, E_R.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:14 AM

Oh wow, I can't believe you found the two buildings in my sepia pic. Hoss!

Thanks Hoss and GW

I can even see the Epsteins bros. sign above the porch.
image lost, sorry

detail

...and that odd angled gable.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 19, 2016 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Sorry to hear this ER.
Thanks CBD. I think I'll pull through. cough* cough*

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:34 AM

Imageshack has lost my pics. I'm working on replacing them.

Here's another 'mystery' location.

"1925 Los Angeles California Harley Davidson Motorcycle, Banner Dairy Old Photo"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1925-LOS-ANG...3D391378229900

What's especially intriguing about the photographs is the small building in the background that looks like it might be a depot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1925-LOS-ANG...3D391378242207

I started to look in the directories under "Banner" but there were soooo many.....Banner Ave....even a Banner Theater.

Of course, just because the seller says it's Los Angeles, it might not be. It could be elsewhere in So. California. It's a fun little mystery none-the-less.

(I believe this is the same seller that had the Rood snapshots)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 1, 2016 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:34 AM

I searched a host of Brown Derby posts, fwiw, but didn't see this one.

It's unusual in that it's of the Wilshire location, but is taken from the opposite side, the coffee shop annex, where you don't see the "derby" shaped hat.
The Chapman Park Hotel sign is visible across the street next to what make of automobile?

Flickr

For comparison, here's another photo taken from the opposite direction.
Both photos were just marked c. 1950's.

Tumblr

What is that large box-like thing for on the roof?
Love the lady's colorful coat and the man hosing off the street.
(Oh, the good old days when people had water for such things!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos