HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 11:56 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
While waiting for the train, we heard some people actually complaining about the TAP card thing; I assume they weren't familiar with riding the train.
These new train riders, especially in Santa Monica, haven't seen or ride a train in decades, possibly for their entire life. You shouldn't be surprised they were lost, it's new to them.
Those who will be riding these trains regularly will quickly learn.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:00 AM

[QUOTE=JDRCRASH;7450728]

Quote:

Been going to La Tolteca ever since I could talk, LONG before they moved to their new location (old location was one block south).

Every night after my old congregation's weekday meetings a huge group of us would go there for a late dinner. Practically a tradition.
I leaned about them back in 1997, any time I'm in the area I make a stop there. Now that the gold line stop near by, it will give me the incentive to take a train ride to Azusa. I now live in the San Fernando Valley so it's a long journey. BTW I used to be in the Azusa West congregation.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:09 AM

http://www.soulofamerica.com/wp-cont...l_Map_2035.jpg

What I like about this concept map is that the Crenshaw line has a somewhat direct route to Hollywood highland via fairfax, and West Hollywood is serviced by a Streetcar line along Santa Monica blvd from silverlake to century city.

What west Hollywood really wants is the pink line heavy rail subway concept from several years back, but they are trying to instead get the Crenshaw line to do the same route, taking it way off course from its ultimate destination at Hollywood highland. This theoretical Crenshaw line will be most likely underground anyway and cost the same as the pink line from a while back. Why not just go again for the heavy rail pink line, or go for the light rail/streetcar alternative in the map below

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:05 PM

^^I also really like the streetcar ideas for streets like Ventura and Venice blvd. Could be a nice hold over while we build out the current light rail system until the region is ready for its next phase of heavy rail or whatever new quick/high capacity technology comes about.

IMO, light rail is great right now since we have massive distances to cover in the region...AS LONG AS WE FIGHT TO HAVE SIGNAL PRIORITY EVERYWHERE. I think in the future though we will have a new wave to fill in the gaps In the central areas and west side, which would come in the form of a grade separated system. I could be wrong though and we may need heavy rail sooner rather than later if the expo line is filled to capacity with the Santa Monica extension. We will see

Last edited by hughfb3; May 24, 2016 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Right now, the subway is only projected to end at Westwood VA. Hopefully, if we win the Olympic bid and that line finishes by 2024, it'll speed up the time where we seriously consider working the rest of "subway to the sea" into an actual timeline.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:47 PM
Paramoderator

If I remember correctly, the issue with the Pink Line was twofold. It was obviously expensive, but also there were connectivity issues with it being part of the Purple Line. I remember there was some problem about having fast enough headways or something, which obviously wouldn't be a problem with an extended Crenshaw Line not being directly connected to the Purple Line. I personally think it's important for Santa Monica Blvd to have rail transit, it being one of the major nightlife centers in the city, as well as being a dense, urban corridor. If there's one thing I've learned in New York, it's when people get drunk, they take public transportation.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:25 PM

^^^ Reason why I said I would love to see a Santa Monica line. The best would be it having a terminus in Santa Monica, then runs down Santa Monica all the way to sunset where the line runs down Sunset all the way to Union Station.

That kills a couple of birds with one stone. Santa Monica, Century City, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, southern/central Hollywood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Dodger Stadium ( via their own people mover using vin scully ave, or maybe shuttles) China Town and then terminates in front of Union Station.

People got mad when I mentioned this the last time but I think it would be a very smart rail line. (google maps to see all the coverage).

I hate this idea that every rail network has to share tracks/tunnels with all the others. Let them all be separate ( but obviously having transfer stations/points) make people transfer. Most other cities work this way and its fine. Its like metro is afraid that if they tell people they have to transfer, they wont want to ride the network. I honestly don't mind.

And having 3 lines terminate in Santa Monica( expo and purple being the other 2) wouldn't bother me. in other cities with lots of rail, its common to have rail lines a few blocks apart and not a few miles as is our current issue.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
I leaned about them back in 1997, any time I'm in the area I make a stop there. Now that the gold line stop near by, it will give me the incentive to take a train ride to Azusa. I now live in the San Fernando Valley so it's a long journey. BTW I used to be in the Azusa West congregation.
There's a few nice places to eat in Azusa now. I recently tried California Grill, and despite the fact it looks like an average classic burger joint, it's anything but. The food there is amazing.

Wow Azusa West is going back a ways. I went to the Carlton congregation on Vincent Ave.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ Reason why I said I would love to see a Santa Monica line. The best would be it having a terminus in Santa Monica, then runs down Santa Monica all the way to sunset where the line runs down Sunset all the way to Union Station.

That kills a couple of birds with one stone. Santa Monica, Century City, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, southern/central Hollywood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Dodger Stadium ( via their own people mover using vin scully ave, or maybe shuttles) China Town and then terminates in front of Union Station.

People got mad when I mentioned this the last time but I think it would be a very smart rail line. (google maps to see all the coverage).

I hate this idea that every rail network has to share tracks/tunnels with all the others. Let them all be separate ( but obviously having transfer stations/points) make people transfer. Most other cities work this way and its fine. Its like metro is afraid that if they tell people they have to transfer, they wont want to ride the network. I honestly don't mind.

And having 3 lines terminate in Santa Monica( expo and purple being the other 2) wouldn't bother me. in other cities with lots of rail, its common to have rail lines a few blocks apart and not a few miles as is our current issue.
That would be an excellent line and i agree with your points.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:15 AM
ride or die

Man, everything in LA is bittersweet. We never get slam dunks as far as progress is concerned. While I'm super stoked about having the Expo to SM, just the idea that the daily commute from say Norwalk to SM would take 1.6 hrs means our "system" is still a horrible joke. We need to increase rail investment multiple-fold if LA's ever going to offer true "big-city" livability. As such, it's currently a "transit optional" city.

21st century living requires 21st century infrastructure. Expo and all the other LRT lines are essentially a 21st century version of the Red Car trolley system. Painfully slow to anything more than a few miles. Like our painfully slow bus system we now have another transit "network" that pretty much serves captive users (those who have no choice but to ride).

For instance, I took the Expo from my friend's Santa Monica condo (only half a mile from 26th/Olympic station, which is already MUCH better access than most) to downtown Culver City (via CC station). Door to door was half an hour WITH a bike on both ends (had to bring it on train because CC has no bikeshare not to mention virtually no bike infra). Optimistically, I'd imagine door to door WITHOUT bike (aka walking) would take >45-50 minutes. That's NOT practical, requires way too much effort vs driving. Mind you, this is a best possible time as depending on time of day, you'd be passing up trains due to lack of room for your bike. Basically if you weren't a captive rider you'd have to be a transit geek to intentionally put yourself through that.

Several problems with Expo and metro rail:
1. Grade crossings/no signal priority
2. Horrible first-last mile infrastructure (bike-infrastructure outside SM is a joke, horrible bus headways, no bus-only lanes, etc) = painful access. Our rail system is still inaccessible from so many places, and bus connections to close the gap are woefully inadequate/prone to the same congestion as the auto. You may as well drive. With our "system". if you're not practically living on top of the station, driving beats rail MOST of the time, WITH TRAFFIC.
3. No express trains: With our long-distance LRT, limited-stop trains are pretty much required for useability. Metro has built no bypass infrastructure for potential limited-stops.

Okay, roughly 1 hour (let's be honest) to Union Station is ok during rush hour. Distances that are much more "regional" than thisare basically useless if you're a non-captive commuter (basically anybody with a college degree). Yeah I'm sure Expo will meet or exceed its projections early, but don't assume that means we've "arrived". We have plenty of pent-up captive demand. LA has a LOOOONG way to go if walkability is going to go mainstream. So far, Metro rail remains a crutch for captive users and a novelty item for weekenders/enthusiasts/tourists. Purple to SM, Sepulveda pass, and an improved bus system couldn't come sooner.

Last edited by Bikemike; May 25, 2016 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
Man, everything in LA is bittersweet. We never get slam dunks as far as progress is concerned. While I'm super stoked about having the Expo to SM, just the idea that the daily commute from say Norwalk to SM would take 1.6 hrs means our "system" is still a horrible joke. We need to increase rail investment multiple-fold if LA's ever going to offer true "big-city" livability. As such, it's currently a "transit optional" city.
LA "never" getting a slam dunk in progress is an interesting interpretation. I completely agree that we get to make Expo have signal priority and make sure we grade separate when needed. But "never" getting a slam dunk is harsh IMO. Our once worlds largest rail system was a slam dunk, as was our once largest freeway network. We are on the cusp of the next "slam dunk" we just aren't experiencing it while we are still dribbling the ball. Our NFL stadium is a slam dunk, our rate of cleaning our air from decades ago is a slam dunk. Even though it's not built out yet, but our current Metro building more rail quicker than any American municipality is a dunk. Let's vote in November for the next measure and we will have a slam dunk on our hands.

It's interesting you compare a Norwalk to Santa Monica commute when that's a 2x transfer commute by train (green line completely grade separated by the way) and a horrible commute by car. Even going from Jamaica queens to downtown Manhattan on the completely grade separated NYC subway will still take over an hour.

It's just a matter of perception, but I truly think that LA is a city of slam dunks... When it truly pursues what it wants.

Also, we can do our part by signing the expo signal priority petition going around or supporting our mayor in updating the zoning code for LA and specifically in Hollywood, supporting the often NIMBY challenged Hollywood community plan that was sued, stopped, and is now redoing its EIR. This will fix our last mile issue.

Stay active, stay involved, we are coming up to the tipping point culturally in this city and what may be the 3rd iteration/reinvention of this metropolis

Last edited by hughfb3; May 25, 2016 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:50 PM

If anyone knows the average of how many stop signals it has to obey, I'd love to know so I can get an idea of how much faster it would be with signal priority.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
LA "never" getting a slam dunk in progress is an interesting interpretation. I completely agree that we get to make Expo have signal priority and make sure we grade separate when needed. But "never" getting a slam dunk is harsh IMO. Our once worlds largest rail system was a slam dunk, as was our once largest freeway network. We are on the cusp of the next "slam dunk" we just aren't experiencing it while we are still dribbling the ball. Our NFL stadium is a slam dunk, our rate of cleaning our air from decades ago is a slam dunk. Even though it's not built out yet, but our current Metro building more rail quicker than any American municipality is a dunk. Let's vote in November for the next measure and we will have a slam dunk on our hands.

It's interesting you compare a Norwalk to Santa Monica commute when that's a 2x transfer commute by train (green line completely grade separated by the way) and a horrible commute by car. Even going from Jamaica queens to downtown Manhattan on the completely grade separated NYC subway will still take over an hour.

It's just a matter of perception, but I truly think that LA is a city of slam dunks... When it truly pursues what it wants.

Also, we can do our part by signing the expo signal priority petition going around or supporting our mayor in updating the zoning code for LA and specifically in Hollywood, supporting the often NIMBY challenged Hollywood community plan that was sued, stopped, and is now redoing its EIR. This will fix our last mile issue.

Stay active, stay involved, we are coming up to the tipping point culturally in this city and what may be the 3rd iteration/reinvention of this metropolis
You beat me to it, especially with this line :

"Even going from Jamaica queens to downtown Manhattan on the completely grade separated NYC subway will still take over an hour"

You read my mind. Every time I hear people whine about a commute "taking 45 mins to an hour being to long" I laugh, because I attribute that to a lack of knowledge on how other "transit oriented cities" work.

I lived in NYC for YEARS. My commutes routinely took me 45 mins to an hour and that's normal. Its all about distance. Saying "well Norwalk to Santa Monica will take an hour and 30 mins, that's too long".... ummm seeing how that would take 2 transfers from the green ( to the blue and then expo), that's actually pretty quick but that's not a trip that normal people will take on a day to day basis anyway.

People need to get off this notion that "Transit oriented cities rail is just quicker" because to be 100% honest, its the same. like I said, its all about distance. People commute to NYC regularly every morning and some of their commutes (including transfers and walking) will in fact take about an hour and 30 minutes, if not longer and that's just one way.

And I'm so over the bike lane conversation. Not everyone will be riding bikes. point. blank. period. I'm in my late 20s and pretty strong bodied, you're not going to catch me taking a bike and riding 20 blocks to my destination just so that I get their tired, sweaty and irritated with the idiots around me. People have no problem riding their bikes in the street and on sidewalks when the bike lanes end, as is the case in Long Beach, so why aren't we seeing bikes being used 10 fold? People commuting to work on bikes in LA county doesn't even touch 1%. And adding bike lanes wont change that number drastically. but adding more "horrible of a joke" rail will do more than bike lanes.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Good post.

The benefit of mass transit isn't really shorter commute times, it's the ability to move around a lot of people in a small amount of space allowing us to increase density.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 8:20 PM

Well, since you've brought up bike lanes, caligrad, I'd like to point out that no one reasonable suggests that everybody should ride a bike for every trip. However, even a very modest increase in the percentage of bike commutes to say, 2% or 3%, would give us a city with healthier people, less wear-and-tear on roads, lower overall transportation costs, and lower greenhouse gas emissions. Shouldn't this be what we are aiming for?

Also, I don't think it's true that "people have no problem riding their bikes in the street and on sidewalks when the bike lanes end." I think the very low rates of cycling are largely due to most people being uncomfortable with the idea of biking on LA streets. I very much enjoy biking for shorter errands and just for fun, but I am also an able-bodied 20-something man, and even still you simply won't find me biking on streets like Vermont Avenue because I find it terrifying. Not surprisingly, we see over and over again that cycling ticks up quite a bit once we build infrastructure that actually makes cyclists feel safe where they didn't before, like physically protected bike lanes (http://www.peopleforbikes.org/statistics/category/protected-bike-lane-statistics). Of course the problem in LA right now is that most of our bike lanes are truly substandard, doing almost nothing to improve cyclist safety, and there is no real network of bicycle-friendly streets outside of Santa Monica.

I think it's perfectly understandable that some people simply won't want to bike, and that bikes just aren't good for certain trips, but I think it would unwise to simply discount them as a means to make living in our city a little better for everyone.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 8:32 PM

City of LA bikeshare debuts downtown July 7th

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/05/2...l-a-on-july-7/

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 11:37 PM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
You beat me to it, especially with this line :

"Even going from Jamaica queens to downtown Manhattan on the completely grade separated NYC subway will still take over an hour"

You read my mind. Every time I hear people whine about a commute "taking 45 mins to an hour being to long" I laugh, because I attribute that to a lack of knowledge on how other "transit oriented cities" work.

I lived in NYC for YEARS. My commutes routinely took me 45 mins to an hour and that's normal. Its all about distance. Saying "well Norwalk to Santa Monica will take an hour and 30 mins, that's too long".... ummm seeing how that would take 2 transfers from the green ( to the blue and then expo), that's actually pretty quick but that's not a trip that normal people will take on a day to day basis anyway.
Actually, this is where you (as usual) display a total lack of depth in urban issues. You, Caligrad, basically represent the ignorant sun-belter identity of LA that we are trying so hard to pry ourselves from.

LA isn't a uni-centric metro like NY. Your comment that Norwalk to SM or Culver isn't what normal people do day to day is ludicrous. LA is DEFINED by people who make these sorts of commutes. In my office of 30, I work with six people who commute at least this distance, two of which who commute from Long Beach to SM by car. Luckily their shifts start at 7am so their commute takes a totally reasonable 30-40 minutes. Expo, on the other hand, would take them 1hour 40 minutes, not including getting to/from the station (realistically 2 hours door to door) and they live a 5 minutes drive from their Willowbrook station. This demonstrates a failing of our "network" to provide viable alternatives for REGULAR people (non-captives, eg. people worth a damn to the economy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad
People need to get off this notion that "Transit oriented cities rail is just quicker" because to be 100% honest, its the same. like I said, its all about distance. People commute to NYC regularly every morning and some of their commutes (including transfers and walking) will in fact take about an hour and 30 minutes, if not longer and that's just one way.
See above. Including walking being operative. LA is not unicentric. The commute from one random corner of LA to another random corner is more typical. Door to door times are REALISTICALLY in the order of 2 hours for many otherwise freeway commuters. IN THE REAL WORLD, Door to door is what matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligrad
And I'm so over the bike lane conversation. Not everyone will be riding bikes. point. blank. period. I'm in my late 20s and pretty strong bodied, you're not going to catch me taking a bike and riding 20 blocks to my destination just so that I get their tired, sweaty and irritated with the idiots around me. People have no problem riding their bikes in the street and on sidewalks when the bike lanes end, as is the case in Long Beach, so why aren't we seeing bikes being used 10 fold? People commuting to work on bikes in LA county doesn't even touch 1%. And adding bike lanes wont change that number drastically. but adding more "horrible of a joke" rail will do more than bike lanes.
You just gave yourself away. Unlike NY, LA is spread out to begin with. Following that fact, LA's "transit network" is already doomed to be just as spread out at complete build-out. How do you think people will get to and from their closest stations? Build enormous parking structures at each stop?

The basic fact that you've failed to consider this basic and fatal shortcoming of this uniquely Angeleno of problems (owing to our sprawly land use and commute patterns) proves your general ignorance of this topic and disqualifies your opinion. You're basically a sunbelter from Houston (which you've made apparent) who's living in LA. You're the urbanists equivalent of a red-stater. I've always stated that your cohort is the problem with Los Angeles. They are the NIMBYs who don't "get it". I Makes total sense now.

Last edited by Bikemike; May 25, 2016 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
This demonstrates a failing of our "network" to provide viable alternatives for REGULAR people (non-captives, eg. people worth a damn to the economy)
Isn't everyone who works, contributing to the economy? Whether they can afford a car or not?

That's a pretty classist statement you made. Even the unemployed and retired; when they buy goods and services, they are contributing to the economy.

LA needs a much better public transportation system, not just for your definition of "REGULAR" people, but for EVERYBODY, even the ones who take public transportation because they can't afford a car.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:14 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Isn't everyone who works, contributing to the economy? Whether they can afford a car or not?

That's a pretty classist statement you made. Even the unemployed and retired; when they buy goods and services, they are contributing to the economy.

LA needs a much better public transportation system, not just for your definition of "REGULAR" people, but for EVERYBODY, even the ones who take public transportation because they can't afford a car.
LOL I figured I would get an off-topic rebuke about classism or something of that sort. Typical uninteresting self-righteous stuff. My real point was that LA needs to get powerful people to use transit, because in the REAL WORLD money and power are going to decide how well funded and well supported our transition to urbanism is going to be. Hundreds of thousands of poor captive riders in isolation are not going to make the important calls needed.

So basically you are agreeing with my statement. EVERYBODY needs access to transit in LA, not just poor captive residents. Great. Hope Caligrad can come to his senses too.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:27 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Good post.

The benefit of mass transit isn't really shorter commute times, it's the ability to move around a lot of people in a small amount of space allowing us to increase density.
Of course shorter commute times aren't the promise. But nor should be commute times that are absurdly longer than the problem (driving) we're trying to solve. Then we've failed.

If we can't get EVERY DAY PEOPLE to use transit, the why are we building it to begin with?

Expo is great if, you're captive (or a one-off rider, such as a tourist/recreational user). That's the only slam-dunk I can see here. But then again our shitty second-class bus system was "great" for captives also. New Westside-access notwithstanding, I'm still not convinced Expo's going to mobilize the mainstream (ie. those who are worth a damn to the economy, to the future of mass transit) to take it en-mass and forge a new car-free identity for LA.

Unlike some small-thinkers here, my goal isn't to tinker around the edges and get a few more people to take the train. My goal is to get LA to become a multi-modal city. Re-define what living in LA means. I'm shooting at the mainstream, not some token victories. For that, you need to create mainstream, not fringe, appeal.

Currently, Expo is only competitive when compared with our world-class rush hour. That is an extremely LOW bar to set. Those of you who set the bar of walkability at the Grove, or some other faux-pedestrian district to which one must drive, need not respond. You've already lost your defense of your pathetic version of "walkability" before you've even begun. It's no wonder you're satisfied with a 1 hour 40 minute "alternative" to a TYPICAL angeleno commute. You can have your petty "victory" because your LA is still fundamentally unchanged.

Last edited by Bikemike; May 26, 2016 at 12:39 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation