HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:52 AM
恭喜发财!

Personally, I hate both of Shanghai's airports (and hence I hate flying in China which is why I always take the HSR when I can) but it'd be even worse if they were combined into a single huge airport, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
one big airport, absolutely.
I tend to agree. With O'Hare, I can get pretty much anywhere in one hop.

I can take the O'Hare L in. A couple of escalators up. Security. And then bars, bars, bars until it's time to go straight to wherever I want.

And if I can't get there from O'Hare then I can from Heathrow ... so two hops both well appointed with travel booze.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:51 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

In a truly huge city you'd be better with multiple airports since traveling tens of miles through congestion just to catch a flight would suck. LA needs its other airports, LAX would be a hassle to reach from say, Riverside otherwise.

But Dallas Love and DFW aren't very far apart and it feels redundant to have flight demand split between the two.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:40 PM

How are places like ORD and ATL with discount carriers?

The dynamic in South Florida is that MIA has very few (and is mostly AA anyway). It's almost always cheaper to fly domestically and some international routes out of FLL. There seems to be no getting around that.

The other nice thing is that each of the South Florida airports does have their own area of coverage and constituency; Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties. They're not duplicates, which I think gives us more options overall.

Last edited by brickell; Apr 28, 2016 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
i can only speak about ORD. the two biggies at ORD are obviously United and American who each operate massive hubs at the airport and together control the lion's share of the airport's passenger traffic, but ORD is also a focus airport for both Spirit and Frontier, who each fly to about two dozen cities non-stop from ORD. Jet Blue and Virgin America each have pretty limited service to ORD from a handful of their respective hubs/focus cities. and that's it for domestic LCC's at ORD.

there is no Southwest presence at ORD because Southwest serves the chicago market exclusively through MDW, and they UTTERLY DOMINATE that aiport.

and unlike metro miami's airports, ORD and MDW don't really serve different sub-markets. they're both located within the city limits of chicago. ORD is ~14 miles NW of the loop and MDW is ~8 miles SW of the loop, and they're both connected to downtown by el lines.

MDW is an old and outdated airport by today's standards (the airfield itself, not the terminals and concourses which were all entirely rebuilt from the ground up in the late '90s/early '00s), and in most other markets, it would have died, much like it nearly did when ORD was built in the '60s. but the airport hung around for a while, unloved and barely used, until it was saved in the knick of time by airline deregulation in the late 70s. first, a chicago LCC start-up called midway airlines set up a hub at the airport, proving that the little airport still had viability. they eventually folded, but not before other LCC's noticed what they were doing and started setting up shop there as well. Southwest first set-up shop there in 1985, and over the decades, through attrition and mergers of other LCC's, southwest came to dominate the airport and is now more or less the only game in town at MDW (except for a handful of other airlines who all have very limited service to MDW).

so while chicago, like miami, is one of the few american metros with more than one large hub airport, as defined by the FAA (NY and DC/balt. are the other two), it's kind of a different arrangement. chicago just happened to have this little old airport that just kept hanging around until someone was able to really take full advantage of it. today, MDW serves over 22 million passengers a year and is busier than it has ever been in its entire life, even compared against its time in the 1950s when it was the "world's busiest airport". it's probably the greatest airport comeback story of all time.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 28, 2016 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:48 PM

One large airport is definitely better for the local population. More non-stop flights = dramatically shorter travel times. Taking an extra 30 minutes to get to the airport or through security is nothing compared to the 2+ hour minimum that a connection adds to the trip.

Those who said they prefer multiple small airports because LAX/ORD/JFK/ATL are a pain to connect through are arguing against themselves. If they had a large hub airport from which to depart from they wouldn't have to connect in the first place.

My home airport (ORD) has pretty much always been a breeze for me.. but my having Global Entry and TSA Pre-check is probably part of that.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Delta dominates ATL, but there are several discount carriers. Southwest has a large and growing presence, serving about 40 destinations. Frontier is also expanding, currently serving about 15 destinations. Then there's Spirit, also with 15 destinations. There's enough competition to keep Delta from running up the prices.

I think the "1 big airport" model works great, but Atlanta really is an unusual case because there's not another big airport anywhere close. Charlotte is 250 miles away. Just for comparison if you're in Philadelphia (a similarly sized metro) you would have multiple major airports closer than that (DCA, EWR, JFK, LGA, PHL, BWI, IAD)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:48 PM

Why cant we prefer having them both? I love LAX for most of my travel and i love Burbank and Long Beach for shorter trips to Vegas or SF. The issues with smaller regionals is that the pricing usually isnt competitive. LAX is almost always cheaper than Burbank for flights, even to Vegas where Burbank excels.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
One large airport is definitely better for the local population. More non-stop flights = dramatically shorter travel times. Taking an extra 30 minutes to get to the airport or through security is nothing compared to the 2+ hour minimum that a connection adds to the trip.

Those who said they prefer multiple small airports because LAX/ORD/JFK/ATL are a pain to connect through are arguing against themselves. If they had a large hub airport from which to depart from they wouldn't have to connect in the first place.

My home airport (ORD) has pretty much always been a breeze for me.. but my having Global Entry and TSA Pre-check is probably part of that.
AMEN to Global Entry and TSA Pre-check..

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:08 PM

The general issue with airports in the US is that they're old. They've kept up with the times through haphazard additions and incremental renovations. The end result are airports that have inconsistent interiors (each terminal seems to have been remodeled or built in a different decade) and confusing layouts.

Other countries are building brand new, larger airports from scratch. In the US, such plans get mired in endless red tape, litigation, and opposition from NIMBYs, environmentalists, and anti-tax/spend crusaders. Plus decades of sprawl has left our metro areas with almost no open land near our city cores or the appropriate transit to stick an airport in a metro area's hinterlands.

So we're left with existing airports that will continually be added to to accommodate larger planes and more destinations.

If you've ever been overseas, those airports are gleaming and super efficient. Among my favs: Frankfort, Tel Aviv, Incheon (S. Korea), and Bangkok.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:15 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
JFK is a mess. O'Hare is a mess (although it has great food). But Atlanta?
O'Hare has its downsides, but it's nowhere near as bad as JFK. JFK is possibly the worst airport I've ever flown in or out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
(how many regional airports have heavy rail links directly to CBD?),
In Chicago you can take "L" (metro-style) rail directly to O'Hare and Midway. You can also take fairly frequent Amtrak service to Milwaukee's airport from Chicago's Loop. And Gary Airport, which used to have passenger service, is accessible via the South Shore line from downtown Chicago + a 1-mile shuttle to/from the terminals. You can also take the South Shore line to the South Bend airport, too, and one of Chicago's other commuter lines has a stop near O'Hare although that then requires both a shuttle and a people-mover train to get to the terminals so is not exactly convenient.

Midway in Chicago is actually about the 25th-busiest airport in the US by number of passengers, so while it is Chicago's regional airport it's also still bigger than some cities' primary airport.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Why cant we prefer having them both?
you certainly can, but it's important to remember that metro LA is a bit of an outlier in the number and diversity of sizes of its airports.

the FAA divides america's main commercial passenger airports into 3 categories based on the number of passengers they serve: large hubs, medium hubs, and small hubs. there are 30 large hubs, 31 medium hubs, and 72 small hubs based on 2014 data (2015 data doesn't come out 'til june).

most US metros only have one main commercial passenger airport, but of the 15 CSAs that have more than one main commercial passenger airport, most just have a large hub and then a smaller secondary airport that often serves a different sub-market within the CSA. LA is a bit unique in that it has one GIANT main hub airport and then a whole constellation of medium and small hubs sprinkled across the area.

here's how america's 15 multi-airport CSAs break down by the number of large hubs, medium hubs, and small hubs.

NEW YORK:
JFK
EWR
LGA
HPN
ISP

DC/BALTIMORE:
BWI
IAD
DCA

MIAMI:
MIA
FLL
PBI

CHICAGO:
ORD
MDW

LOS ANGELES:
LAX
SNA
ONT
BUR
LGB
PSP

BAY AREA:
SFO
OAK
SJC

DALLAS:
DFW
DAL

HOUSTON:
IAH
HOU

BOSTON:
BOS
PVD
MHT

ORLANDO:
MCO
SFB

PHOENIX:
PHX
IWA

TAMPA:
TPA
PIE

PHILADELPHIA:
PHL
ACY

DETROIT:
DTW
FNT

CLEVELAND:
CLE
CAK

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 1:13 AM

One advantage of multiple medium sized airports is that they compete with each other.

Since Congress halted the Wright Amendment, which meant that flights going and coming from Love Field could only be in state or to New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana, both airports have been spending tens of millions to improve themselves.

DFW built a new terminal, a new people mover system and a DART rail connection to downtown.

Love Field completely rebuilt their terminal and almost has a direct connection to DART.

The main reason DFW has been sliding down the charts of passenger numbers, and number of flights has been because of Love Field.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation