HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 11:24 AM

World Trade Center Chronicles: I compiled 27 of my videos made over 4 Years into a single clip show that shows how the tower came to dominate the skyline.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 12:55 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I've been doing that with photos of mine, but there are just so many...I'll get it completed one day.

jch77yanks

fdobe

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 6:44 PM
Not far from Disneyland

Took this photo with my iPhone on Sept 10th on my way into LaGuardia

Photo by me....

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 7:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Video Link

Credit: NJTAmtrakGuy @ Youtube; Aug 31, 2014

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 7:49 PM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

So damn futuristic, without trying too hard to look futuristic.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I hate so much that I miss the old towers every time I see them in photos. I don't want to start up that old debate, but when you put it out there...Anyway, out with the old, in with the new, and to the future because there is no other choice.
I miss the old towers because they remind me of a simpler, more innocent and more prosperous geopolitical time. So I smile and feel nostalgic and safe when I think about them or see them in old pictures. But I don't miss them because I thought they were aesthetically beautiful. Strictly speaking in terms of architectural aesthetics, the only thing I really liked about the old WTC was the dual aspect of having two of them. That was very unique, and I wish the new WTC had a twin. But that aside, I greatly prefer the new WTC. It's not the best skyscraper in the world, or even the best in New York (that will always be Chrysler as long as it stands), but I do prefer its' striking angles and beautiful modern glass to the plain, utilitarian, grey long-box look of the old towers.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I just saw this. Wow, I love it. What's fascinating is how many of the surrounding buildings have changed as well.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 12:48 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 1:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From Earthcam

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:05 AM

Hi all,

This is brand new ID swipe for WTC workers. You swipe the ID badge, you go to elevator and they will go up. Whatever where you want go. They will tell you where the elevator go. You swipe the badge, but there is no buttons. It is brand new technology.

http://4wtc.com/see4yourself/news-ev...s-fox-business

This is for WTC business only.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 6:13 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 12:05 AM

Even with the undecorated spire, 1WTC is simply magnificent. Simple designs may not immediately reveal their value, but they do in time.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Slightly off top topic but this image truly shows the diminishing dominance of the Empire State Building with 432 Park Avenue having now surpassed it.

However with 125 Greenwich Street coming into play, the entire WTC complex will be challenged as well.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 6:23 AM
weidncol

The WTC towers are way to bulky to ever be out-shined by a slim tower, such as 125 Greenwich. Height alone does not always mean dominance.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 11:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Even with the undecorated spire, 1WTC is simply magnificent. Simple designs may not immediately reveal their value, but they do in time.
Imagine the value revealed in time had the spire been built as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
The WTC towers are way to bulky to ever be out-shined by a slim tower, such as 125 Greenwich. Height alone does not always mean dominance.
The WTC towers are not the bulkiest buildings downtown, yet the height is what gives the Freedom Tower the advantage of being the most dominant. (You can throw in the 400 ft spire as well,
thin though it may be). Even if you disagree with a thinner tower challenging the Freedom Tower for dominance, it does that by default anyway, by erasing the way it towers over everything else.
As the other WTC towers begin to fill out, that will come more into play, especially with tower 2.

fabfotophotography

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 6:58 PM

My latest video from today which also show's off (OFF TOPIC FOR HERE) 432 Park Avenue, pics to come:

By QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMy...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Slightly off top topic but this image truly shows the diminishing dominance of the Empire State Building with 432 Park Avenue having now surpassed it.

However with 125 Greenwich Street coming into play, the entire WTC complex will be challenged as well.
One of the many reasons I really dislike 432. Oh well, it is what it is.

It's astounding that the ESB was the tallest building in the city just a handful of years ago (post 9/11 of course) and now there's so many quickly rising skyscrapers; some of which are quite stunning like the Bank of America tower, the Beekman and 4 WTC, and others like 432 (and One 57 if you ask me) that are just ugly long weeds in an otherwise beautiful garden.

So it's a mixed bag. I'm excited to see the skyline in the 2020's and 2030's, but not if the Chrysler and other great buildings are hidden from view.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
These are great pictures! I remember the first Towers of Light in March of 2002, when it was only supposed to be a one-off kind of event. I'm glad it's continued into the present and is now a permanent annual tradition. It really is 9/11's best memorial.

But where are they located now, since it obviously can't be the original footprints anymore?

Quote:

These, on the other hand, are just kinda creepy...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 8:03 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Nothing at all creepy about that photo. It's just your imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
But where are they located now, since it obviously can't be the original footprints anymore?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1936161

Quote:
Once located in the vacant Lot 26 on the West Side Highway that now is home to Goldman Sachs, the tribute now beams straight from the roof of the Battery Parking Garage on Morris St.

krisknow

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hi all,

This is brand new ID swipe for WTC workers. You swipe the ID badge, you go to elevator and they will go up. Whatever where you want go. They will tell you where the elevator go. You swipe the badge, but there is no buttons. It is brand new technology.

http://4wtc.com/see4yourself/news-ev...s-fox-business

This is for WTC business only.
It's called destination dispatch. Many office buildings have been using the system for years, I've even seen a few hotels that use it too. I believe all towers at the WTC will utilize it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive