HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 4:13 PM
Student

Atlanta watches with envy as Phoenix light rail debuts

Local leaders say metro Atlanta’s poor mass transit hinders business growth

By ARIEL HART

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Phoenix — A train seems about as normal as a water buffalo on Phoenix’s Central Avenue, but here one comes, gliding along what used to be the center lane. Excited would-be passengers chatter under an artsy awning as it approaches their platform. The word “Disneyland” keeps popping up — the train’s sleek shape prompts thoughts of Tomorrowland.

As of this week, Phoenix has light rail, and metro Atlanta mass transit boosters are jealous.

“I continue to be frustrated that we can’t seem to move in that direction,” said Sam Olens, chairman of the Atlanta Regional Commission and the Cobb County commission. “We’re losing our competitive advantage.”

Two years ago, the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce invited reporters to hear officials from Phoenix and other cities talk about their new transportation initiatives. The message was clear: Atlanta and Georgia could be left in the dust.

On Wednesday, Sam Williams, president of the chamber, said in a statement that “cities that have made transportation a priority, like Phoenix, Dallas and Charlotte, continue to leapfrog Atlanta with respect to regional mobility. … While these areas make progress, we seem choked in congestion with little leadership to get us out.”

As another legislative session begins, Atlanta remains the second-most-congested urban area in the nation. The Georgia Legislature has tried and failed to pass a transportation funding measure and is preparing for another go in the 2009 session.

Olens said plum employers with skilled jobs are slipping away. “In the last two years, I’ve had two major corporations tell me they would not move their headquarters to the Cobb Galleria area because all we had are buses,” Olens said this week.

Rail transit opponents in Georgia agree that congestion must be addressed. But they say rail isn’t an effective way to do it, especially in a spread-out area like Atlanta.

Both Phoenix and Charlotte got nearly half of their rail money from federal funds. City and special regional taxes paid the rest of the $1.4 billion cost of the line that runs 20 miles through Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa.

Phoenix, like Atlanta, is a sprawling collection of communities. Life without a car there is challenging.

While the Phoenix line met its share of controversy in getting approved, this week that seemed forgotten for many of the 150,000 to 200,000 who tried it out for free on its grand opening.

Families and groups of friends crowded station stops to gawk and ride between public parties and pub crawls.

On train platforms, local businesses passed out coupons and fliers.

There was at least one protest sign — complaining that the last train would run three hours before bars’ 2 a.m. last call.

Outside a standing-room-only train car Saturday morning, Central Avenue was nearly deserted. Tracks sit flush with the street, and trains travel alongside car traffic.

They stop at red lights, although they can sometimes make them go green.

The fun will subside Thursday when the line starts charging — $1.25 for a single ride — and finds out how many riders are in for the long haul.

• For more on the Phoenix rail: www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 4:59 PM

i love the light rail but those wires are hideous.

i thought they have trains that have the wires buried now?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 5:10 PM

mandarin

deleted

Last edited by ATLaffinity; Jan 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM. Reason: deleted

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 8:39 PM

Hopefully soon if the legislature can get its act together we can move quicker towards the comprehensive transit plan.
One question I have always had In addition to the rail and express buses, Is there a general plan to expand bus service metro wide? I think for the rail and even express buses to truly be a success there needs to be local bus service that penetrates where the rail and express bus services cant go. Like heavy residential areas, office park areas even major retail areas.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 10:39 PM
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwest281 View Post
Hopefully soon if the legislature can get its act together we can move quicker towards the comprehensive transit plan.
One question I have always had In addition to the rail and express buses, Is there a general plan to expand bus service metro wide? I think for the rail and even express buses to truly be a success there needs to be local bus service that penetrates where the rail and express bus services cant go. Like heavy residential areas, office park areas even major retail areas.
Concept6 provides bus service (local, express & BRT) for the entire region.
All this plan needs now is funding, but it already properly identifies transit projects.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 2:49 AM

Georgia please get it together. Please

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:12 AM

Last edited by Andrea; Jan 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:00 PM

Last edited by Andrea; Jan 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 6:11 PM
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
It hasn't been in the limelight much lately but the Peachtree Corridor is still a very exciting project, and it's one that could be realized rather rapidly in my opinion. Wouldn't id be awesome to have a world class boulevard extending from Downtown to Buckhead? I think the density to support it is definitely there, and it would no doubt foster further infill. I was glad to see the Corridor included both the Connect Atlanta and Concept 3 plans.

http://www.peachtreecorridor.com/home/
Is the Peachtree Streetcar included in Concept3? I know it's one of top projects of Connect Atlanta.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:28 PM

If Atlanta gets some help with the sewer fix, the sooner the city can turn its attention to other things such as the Peachtree Corridor. Imagine what else we could do with $4 billion.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 10:14 PM

Found an interesting paper about a pedestrian/transit mall along Peachtree. Here's the link

It's not dated but the last citation I noticed was 2006 so it's fairly recent.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 2:13 PM

Last edited by Andrea; Jan 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Cool article, trainiac! I really like what they've done in downtown Denver. It would be a challenge to make something like this viable in Atlanta.
Yes, it would be challenging. I actually don't think it is a good idea. You can enforce development rules for making the street pedestrian friendly without eliminating cars altogether. These pedestrian only streets are pretty popular in Europe and Asia where the density is very high. It does not make sense in Atlanta at this point, where you have 3 pedestrians on the street. Without cars it would look even more deserted and unfriendly.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 4:00 PM

Last edited by Andrea; Jan 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Cars are in our blood down here, too. They're a big part of what makes Atlanta what it is.
Unfortunately.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 6:51 PM

Last edited by Andrea; Jan 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Well, traffic and pollution are bad things, but you have to admit that a luxurious private automobile is an incredibly cool way to get around. You can go anywhere, any time you please, in extraordinary comfort and with complete privacy. Unless you've got some horrendous daily commute, the cost is pretty reasonable, too.
Unless there's friends you'd like to have a drink or two with before you drive home, and as long as there's nothing more worthwhile on which you might spend the $10-30k you spend every year on a car, and as long as you have no interest in the environmental, financial, and geo-political consequences of the U.S's dependency on oil imported from the Middle East, then indeed a luxurious private automobile is the ideal transportation solution.

Otherwise (Andrea will probably agree), it's nice to have other options.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:40 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanakorn View Post
Unless there's friends you'd like to have a drink or two with before you drive home, and as long as there's nothing more worthwhile on which you might spend the $10-30k you spend every year on a car, and as long as you have no interest in the environmental, financial, and geo-political consequences of the U.S's dependency on oil imported from the Middle East, then indeed a luxurious private automobile is the ideal transportation solution.

Otherwise (Andrea will probably agree), it's nice to have other options.
Way to be a buzzkill man...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:41 PM

Last edited by Andrea; Jan 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Now, now. I've been schlepping it back and forth to the hospital and the doctor by MARTA for the last two months, and when my friend pulled up in her sleek new Benz to give me a ride this morning I was ready to shout Hallelujah.

According to MARTA's Transit Savings Calculator, I'm considerably better off driving anyway. If you use your car for short trips, share with friends, and walk, take the bus or a cab when you've been drinking, I don't see how it's such a big deal.
Except the vast majority of Atlantans (and Americans, I would assume) use their car for almost 100% of their transportation. And I would imagine most of them have little to no understanding of or concern for any of the unbelievably important issues mahanakorn listed above. I understand the reasons for the pro-automobile mindset, but it is really quite selfish and certainly unsustainable (I'm not talking about you specifically, Andrea, just in general).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta