HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:26 PM

Western Canada. Love it, hate it or indifferent?

It was suggested during the Quebec Election thread that a separate Western Canada thread be established. Now Western Canada is a big place (Lake of the Woods to Queen Charlotte Islands - 49th Parallel to Ellesmere Island) and many folks east of the Lakehead equate Western Canada with Alberta.
So what are your true thoughts about Western Canada and Western Canadians?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:35 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh no...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:37 PM

Just melting some butter for the popcorn.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:43 PM

I dont hate it, I'm just indifferent because I don't know the place. But I'm SURE that I would enjoy & love it alot , especially BC & Alberta !
(Never been west of Sault ste-marie just saying )

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Well, I wrote another book. Sorry.

So...

My parents taught on a First Nation reserve in northern Manitoba for a few years. They only planned to stay a few months but they were beloved by the community and couldn't bring themselves to leave. I visited there several times, and enjoyed the experience if not the urban form.

I lived for years in Winnipeg, Manitoba - working primarily as a journalist but that's also where I first transitioned into marketing and communications. I loved the people (so tall, so Eastern European... I'm definitely the only Newfoundlander who can spell Zienkiewicz and Kowalchuk on first try) and certain neighbourhoods (the Exchange, etc.). Overall, though, unfortunately, I was miserable. So much so I became bitter and saw everything negatively. All I could see by that point was beige city on grey streets punctuated by surface parking lots. I became an angry drunk, which terrified me. And I was alone, there is no significant Newfoundlander community there.

When I was a teenager, we took a train trip across Canada one summer - from Halifax to Vancouver and then onto Victoria. My mother wouldn't get off the train on the prairies. She was horrified. "How can people live like this? Don't set foot off the train, you'll be killed." The irony that she ended up moving there for a few years wasn't lost on her, and she fell in love with Winnipeg. I don't think anyone has ever been as excited about seeing the Eagles and spending a Saturday in Polo Park. And if Winnipeg ever comes up in conversation, she always says, "Think what you will, but I'll always be grateful to Winnipeg. That city was good to you."

I fell in love with Calgary on a business trip in April of, I believe, 2012. I was coming there from Winnipeg and the difference in the two cities was a positive one for my individual preferences. I found Calgary lively, happy, positive, colourful, uplifting... and, most importantly, the people there obviously loved it. There was none of, "This place sucks!" that my friends in Winnipeg were always saying, more than I ever did. And SO MANY NEWFOUNDLANDERS. We went to the Ship & Anchor, I believe it was called, and I felt like I was in St. John's. I shared a table with a dozen or more people and never knew a soul before setting foot inside.

I have several relatives in Alberta, including a cousin who is a teacher, and her husband, an engineer. She thought the people were conservative and backwards at first. I'll never forget her bewildered phone call, "We're at a bar and they're LINE DANCING! I'm not even joking. And they think we're hicks?" But at her wedding here a few summers ago, most of her bridesmaids were Albertans. They have a child now and she's finding it very hard. She doesn't want to raise her family there, nor does her husband, but they have no comparable employment opportunities here. Interestingly, a lot of their friends are actually Albertan, and not Newfoundlander expats.

Another cousin, who moved to Edmonton, will never be back except to visit. Her Facebook is a constant stream of all the cool things she's doing in Alberta - concerts, snowboarding, skydiving, camping, working, and so on. She's a dental hygienist and has done a little modelling. She does get homesick from time to time and I don't think any of her friends is actually from Alberta, but she loves her life there.

Finally, I have one relative in Vancouver - a cousin whose parents are from Newfoundland but who was born and raised in Ajax, Ontario. She is a lot like my cousin in Edmonton - always on the hills, always doing things. She's probably the one who finds it easiest to live in the West. My uncle, her father, visited this past summer and I asked if she'd ever come to see us in St. John's again. He laughed and said, "My love, I'll never get her in Toronto again, let alone here."

Overall I love the people of the West, I have a great affection for many of the cities and cultural traits (marijuana tolerance in B.C., for example; though I don't smoke it, I think it's stupid that it's illegal) and, of course, the climate of much of B.C.. I absolutely hate the conservative influence on federal politics, which I subconsciously blame on Alberta even though Harper is Ontarian and they voted Conservative in large numbers as well.

I hate the influence oil sands culture is having on St. John's. The influx of obnoxious douchebags (all Newfoundlanders, by the way) with their baseball caps, white necklaces, skin-tight shirts, work boots, and big Alberta trucks is irritating on so many levels. I prefer skeets. I resent losing so many of our people. It bothers me that "Fort Mac is the second-largest city in Newfoundland", as people say. I want us to grow and prosper here.

I can't relate, really, to living away from the ocean. What the prairies inspire in those who live there... I just can't connect to it. But I do see the beauty. I can remember watching trucks roar down dirt roads through fields of flax flowers at sunset. There's a romance in it - but it's just completely foreign to me.

If Canada was some fantasy novel, the prairies and the Rock would definitely be two completely different people. Dwarves and Hobbits, or whatever else. But it was nice to experience. I wish I had known going in that it would have an end and I'd eventually be back home where I belong... I could have enjoyed it more then, I bet.

Anyhow, yeah... mostly positive.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Haha the Ship!!! (Ship & Anchor) You're right that's what it's called. It's like a staple of visiting Calgary. Communal beer-hall tables, awesome atmosphere, great service, great food (and beer of course), and a totally positive atmosphere. A new place called National opened up next door to it last year, it is similar but with a much more refined urban vibe to it, a bit more posh. Great food and people as well though.

Just a correction though, Harper is Albertan (moved to Calgary from Toronto many years ago as far as I know). It was Ontario suburban voters flip flopping that forced his majority election though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So what are your true thoughts about Western Canada and Western Canadians?
Same as regarding Ontario and the Maritimes: indifferent. (Limiting myself to picking one out of the three proposed answers. I don't "love it" or "hate it".)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:55 PM

Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

When I was a teenager, we took a train trip across Canada one summer - from Halifax to Vancouver and then onto Victoria. My mother wouldn't get off the train on the prairies. She was horrified. "How can people live like this? Don't set foot off the train, you'll be killed."
Killed by what? Canola fields?

Quote:
I fell in love with Calgary on a business trip in April of, I believe, 2012. I was coming there from Winnipeg and the difference in the two cities was a positive one for my individual preferences. I found Calgary lively, happy, positive, colourful, uplifting... and, most importantly, the people there obviously loved it. There was none of, "This place sucks!" that my friends in Winnipeg were always saying, more than I ever did. And SO MANY NEWFOUNDLANDERS. We went to the Ship & Anchor, I believe it was called, and I felt like I was in St. John's. I shared a table with a dozen or more people and never knew a soul before setting foot inside.
It's comments like this that make me think that if you visited Edmonton, you'd find it to be a hybrid of Calgary and Winnipeg. It has that colour and liveliness in common with Calgary, but it also has a large "this place sucks" contingent.

Quote:
I'll never forget her bewildered phone call, "We're at a bar and they're LINE DANCING! I'm not even joking. And they think we're hicks?" But at her wedding here a few summers ago, most of her bridesmaids were Albertans.

Quote:
Overall I love the people of the West, I have a great affection for many of the cities and cultural traits (marijuana tolerance in B.C., for example; though I don't smoke it, I think it's stupid that it's illegal) and, of course, the climate of much of B.C.. I absolutely hate the conservative influence on federal politics, which I subconsciously blame on Alberta even though Harper is Ontarian and they voted Conservative in large numbers as well.
Interior BC, SK, and MB can also be pro-Conservative.
Quote:
I hate the influence oil sands culture is having on St. John's. The influx of obnoxious douchebags (all Newfoundlanders, by the way) with their baseball caps, white necklaces, skin-tight shirts, work boots, and big Alberta trucks is irritating on so many levels. I prefer skeets. I resent losing so many of our people. It bothers me that "Fort Mac is the second-largest city in Newfoundland", as people say. I want us to grow and prosper here.
Yes, the rig pigs can be obnoxious at times.

Quote:
I can't relate, really, to living away from the ocean. What the prairies inspire in those who live there... I just can't connect to it. But I do see the beauty. I can remember watching trucks roar down dirt roads through fields of flax flowers at sunset. There's a romance in it - but it's just completely foreign to me.
Even though I've never lived in a coastal region, this is something I get very well. I'm used to not having the ocean right there so I can live without it, but it is so...majestic...I can see why people love being near it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:32 AM

ditto ..Indifferent..I would have to have some sort of passion about a place be it good or bad to either hate it or love it...I would like to visit the West though one day..

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:53 AM

I'll never live in Western Canada again, just due to the fact that I've fallen very hard to Atlantic Canada.

But I spent years and years Calgary, and lived in Edmonton for two years, and briefly Vancouver as well. I'm very glad that I got to know those cities and those regions--it's enormously broadened my perspective of the country, and I think I'd be a much more parochially minded person, set in my Central Canadian ways (was born and raised in Ottawa and Montreal) if I'd never lived west.

Calgary is definitely a positive place. I actually find the boosterism to be irrationally intense at times (Nenshi is a great mayor, but he's also a prime example of the "there's no place like this!" sentiment you get there). But the boosterism can also be very uplifting, and the pervasive "this place sucks" sentiments one often finds in other cities, as Signal Hill said, are also irritating and irrational, as well as depressing.

The next time I visit out west (my entire family is still there) I should probably spend more time getting to know the rural areas. Lived in Alberta for 15 years but I know nothing outside of Calgary, Edmonton and Banff (and a touch of Red Deer).

(And yes, the Ship is a great bar. So is Hop-in-Brew, which I imagine must be even more Newfoundland-esque.)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:09 AM

Aside from the fact it's better then everywhere else, I'm not sure what else there is to talk about.

I live in Manitoba by choice. There is no place I'd rather be - in Canada or abroad.

It's my great big, rather soggy, piece of paradise.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:10 AM
The New Republic

I absolutely adore western Canada. It's spectacularly beautiful, has boundless potential, and the people have always been gracious and friendly. Westerners seem to have a very strong sense of who they are as a people which I found refreshing and grounding. It's my biggest grievance about Toronto. Everyone here seems to be from some place else and in mad rush to fit in/jump on the next cool thing. The diversity of Toronto is exhilarating, but it's hard to find cultural common ground with your neighbour.

I've only been to western Canada twice, but both times left feeling that it was a place where you can re-invent yourself. Go west young man! What's not to like?

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 10, 2014 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
ditto ..Indifferent..I would have to have some sort of passion about a place be it good or bad to either hate it or love it...I would like to visit the West though one day..
Like it seems to be common for Westerners to not have been east of Manitoba (sans perhaps a visit to Toronto/Niagara Falls), it also seems common for Easterners to not have been west of Ontario (sans perhaps a visit to Vancouver/Victoria). I think the former is more common just because there are less people moving to the East from the West than there are people from the East moving West. The Canadian dichotomy is becoming less bound by language and more by lines of longitude. Or, more accurately, the Central Canadian base is starting to take notice of the West that always felt this longitudinal dichotomy existed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:22 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I was born here. What's your excuse?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:23 AM

I too adore the West. Except for Saskatchewan because the people there are so sneaky. You can't take your eye off them for a minute!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I love the West. It's got really cool youthful energy, forward outlook and a can-do attitude, some incredible scenery of course and some pretty cool cities.

I've pretty much always had a blast there and been well-received.

Of course just like any place in the world inhabited by humans there are some who are not so cool but they are in the minority for sure.

It could probably never be home to me but that's true of a ton of places in the world that I nonetheless like a whole lot.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:33 AM

I've never been west of Ontario and didn't know there were any provinces west of Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I've never been west of Ontario and didn't know there were any provinces west of Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:47 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
A good enough excuse. I heard some posters say that there is a whole other country just south of here. Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:50 AM

There's a western Canada?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada