HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

What most Canadians don't realize is: it's not that they have a "neutral, American accent". It's that Hollywood was invaded by Canadians, especially Western Canadians. Americans have our accent, not the other way around. When you travel enough in the US, you realize that virtually nobody down there sounds like the stereotypical American news anchor accent. It's an entirely invented accent which came from here. But as it's what 90% of Canadians think of when they think "America"...

I've had this recently re-affirmed to me by 3 different co-workers who have moved to the US in the past year, from 3 entirely different regions. Mexico, Germany, and Japan. They all have said the same thing to me, entirely unprompted: gee freeweed, you sound more "American" than anyone I've met in the US so far. Because 100% of their exposure to "American accents" has been from movies and television, until now.

Even most Californians don't quite sound like the US media accent, although they're the closest.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don't think anchors anywhere sound much like the people they represent. They're trained to enunciate and all of that.

Here's a good contrast - Glen Tilley and randoms from Burin:

Video Link

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I don't think anchors anywhere sound much like the people they represent. They're trained to enunciate and all of that.
You get this in French as well. Radio-Canada is particularly distant from the speech you hear on the streets and there's even what is known as a ''accent radio-canadien'' that everyone recognizes when they hear it.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:14 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That you think this is standard, classic Canadian myopia.

Your accent is broadly Western Canadian. People from Winnipeg to Vancouver tend not to elide consonants as much as Ontarians (and Americans, of course). Various words stand out:
  • Water: You enunciated the T in water. You didn't say "wadder."
  • Coupon: You said "cyoupon" with the vowel in "cute," not the American "coopon" (another one Canadians don't realize we say differently is "stupid," which Americans pronounce "stoopid").
  • "Runners" and "running shoes" are Canadian. Brits say "trainers." Americans say "sneakers."
  • You pronounced every vowel clearly in "go to the beach." You didn't say "godu tha beach."
  • You clearly pronounced the T in "do it." You didn't use a glottal stop.
  • Again, you clearly pronounced the D in "grandma" and "grandpa," you didn't say "granma and granpa." You also used the flatter Western Canadian A, not the longer A that Americans and Ontarians use.
Etcetera. You have a distinctively Western Canadian accent. Going across the border there to Seattle should make that abundantly clear to you.
I've spent almost my entire life in Vancouver and I think I pronounce everything the way you say Ontarians would. Very weird.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:19 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I've spent almost my entire life in Vancouver and I think I pronounce everything the way you say Ontarians would. Very weird.
I'll bet good money that you don't say "dayncing" the way most Ontarians do, but it's possible. That one is usually the dead giveaway.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 6:09 PM
Rational urbanist

So I did a video of my own. I don't really think I have an accent because I think I talk the same way that people on TV talk, but as you guys pointed out that's not necessarily the actual "American accent."

Video Link

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:19 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Freaky video with the namedropping. Like when people used to post pics with a username in them, to prove it was real or whatever.

You must have moved to Canada before you were 5 or so, I'd guess. You have mannerisms that would make me suspect Russian or Ukrainian close family (it might just be your looks), but no accent from it that I can tell from a quick listen. And yeah, you have the stereotypical Western Canadian/Californian accent for the most part.

One of the things I find misleading with videos like this - people sometimes pronounce certain words differently when they're using them casually vs reading off a list. I am notorious for this amongst my more perceptive friends - things like coupon or tourist I tend to slur - almost to the point of a Texan drawl - when using it in every day speech, but I enunciate very clearly in the correct "Canadian" fashion when reading as a solitary word. It's weird but I've caught other people doing it. So sometimes I've "caught" people saying a word in a heavily accented fashion (or whatever) and tease them a little - but when they repeat it, they say the word with little to no trace. Dayncing (which you do not say at all btw) is one of the more common ones with Ontarians. Although Hamiltonians are just incapable of not saying it with the y.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Typical California accents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qD_p__VVAE

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:28 PM

I find it jarring how a drive one hour south from here into North Dakota and Minnesota suddenly gets you into the land where waitresses do not say "thank you", but something that sounds roughly like "think yao".

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
That you think this is standard, classic Canadian myopia.

Your accent is broadly Western Canadian. People from Winnipeg to Vancouver tend not to elide consonants as much as Ontarians (and Americans, of course). Various words stand out:
  • Water: You enunciated the T in water. You didn't say "wadder."
  • Coupon: You said "cyoupon" with the vowel in "cute," not the American "coopon" (another one Canadians don't realize we say differently is "stupid," which Americans pronounce "stoopid").
  • "Runners" and "running shoes" are Canadian. Brits say "trainers." Americans say "sneakers."
  • You pronounced every vowel clearly in "go to the beach." You didn't say "godu tha beach."
  • You clearly pronounced the T in "do it." You didn't use a glottal stop.
  • Again, you clearly pronounced the D in "grandma" and "grandpa," you didn't say "granma and granpa." You also used the flatter Western Canadian A, not the longer A that Americans and Ontarians use.
Etcetera. You have a distinctively Western Canadian accent. Going across the border there to Seattle should make that abundantly clear to you.
Funny you should say that, I was in seattle a few months ago and the people down there asked me what state I was from.

My friend from portland is dead set on finding a difference between Canadian and American accents and even he notices very little between me and most americans.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:57 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Freaky video with the namedropping. Like when people used to post pics with a username in them, to prove it was real or whatever.

You must have moved to Canada before you were 5 or so, I'd guess. You have mannerisms that would make me suspect Russian or Ukrainian close family (it might just be your looks), but no accent from it that I can tell from a quick listen. And yeah, you have the stereotypical Western Canadian/Californian accent for the most part.

One of the things I find misleading with videos like this - people sometimes pronounce certain words differently when they're using them casually vs reading off a list. I am notorious for this amongst my more perceptive friends - things like coupon or tourist I tend to slur - almost to the point of a Texan drawl - when using it in every day speech, but I enunciate very clearly in the correct "Canadian" fashion when reading as a solitary word. It's weird but I've caught other people doing it. So sometimes I've "caught" people saying a word in a heavily accented fashion (or whatever) and tease them a little - but when they repeat it, they say the word with little to no trace. Dayncing (which you do not say at all btw) is one of the more common ones with Ontarians. Although Hamiltonians are just incapable of not saying it with the y.
Hahah yeah it feels weird to see the videos and connect faces to usernames. For example I always pictured BCasey as like a 35 year old for some reason

You're right that it's hard to say the words true to the way you normally would in isolation, but I feel like it still gives enough of an idea. If I had a strong accent you'd be able to tell, even if I wasn't completely honest with my pronunciation.

The thing I most notice about people from Ontario is that they pronounce the word car as "kur" instead of "kahr" as I would say it.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:59 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Funny you should say that, I was in seattle a few months ago and the people down there asked me what state I was from.
Americans are insular. They heard that you sounded different, so the only obvious conclusion was that you were from somewhere else in the U.S. Granted, that doesn't apply for U.K. accents. They "get" that they're not American. Canadian English is as close to American English as you can get, but it's distinctive enough that it sounds like you're from somewhere else in the U.S. to many people, even educated ones.

Your friend in Portland is not very well travelled if he/she thinks Canadians sound the same as Americans. Though Canadians who move to the U.S. do tend to see their speech evolve gradually to the point where they start eliding their consonants more and modifying their vowels.

As always in these discussions, go to Baitcar.com to hear jolting examples of underclass Western Canadian accents. Not that you sound like the idiots on that site, but you do sound more like them than the guys in Acajack's California link.

That you think you sound American is one of the unique aspects of Canadian life. We grow up with American TV and don't have a strong enough sense of our own identity to really be sure of ourselves in so many ways, speech among them. The northwest U.S. is known to have one of the most "neutral" American accents. Take a trip to anywhere in the northeast, anywhere in the midwest or anywhere in the south of the U.S. and you will not be so ignorant of your own distinctively Western Canadian accent anymore.

Hell, even go back a few pages to Middeljohn's video. He's southern Ontario through and through. Very different from how you speak.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:01 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
The thing I most notice about people from Ontario is that they pronounce the word car as "kur" instead of "kahr" as I would say it.
No. That's actually more of a Maritime thing.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:08 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
No. That's actually more of a Maritime thing.
It's just something that I noticed a lot in Canada's Worst Driver. I actually just looked it up and the host grew up in Newfoundland, so I guess he probably has a combination of both accents.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

O.K., b'ys... here we go...

Video Link

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
O.K., b'ys... here we go...

Video Link
Now THAT is an accent.

I don't know what everyone else is going on about but i don't hear substantial differences between ontario and BC.

Now Newfoundland, thats an accent and one you should be damned proud of.

I miss my time on the Rock

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Opposite direction for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I grew up in Kelowna BC but now Live in Vancouver.

I think my accent is very very neutral and americanized.

Video Link

You have the stronger accent. GlassCity's is less strong to me. But it's still...

I'm not as good as rousseau at actually determining and naming the differences... but I find you guys are onto the next consonant before I'm finished hearing your vowels.

And there's so much more up and down. You might as well be singing.

Also, the way you say theatre. That's what stands out the strongest as mainland to me. It's like being hit in the face, it sounds so different to me.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
So I did a video of my own. I don't really think I have an accent because I think I talk the same way that people on TV talk, but as you guys pointed out that's not necessarily the actual "American accent."

Video Link
Roof is the most mainland of what you said to my ears. You put like 8 syllables in there.

And "That's a remote"... Oh my God, . Just everything is so mainland, the emphasis, the flow, the pronunciation, the works of it. Love it.

Also, "homogeneous" - wow, you say that differently. I'd do it "huh'modge-in-us". Four syllables, only three strong ones.

EDIT: O.K. I tried reading like you.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, my cousin from Toronto (Fort York area) and his wife from Australia visited yesterday and stayed the night at my place.

They just finished a 10-day drive around the Burin and Avalon peninsulas and were sharing their impressions. They noted a few expressions that I'd not have noticed:

His wife thinks there is no standard set of rules for pronouns here.

"One of your uncles was on the phone speaking about us and said, "[Cousin] and theys are here."

I laughed - I remember that one, but had forgotten it. It's specific to Grand Bank and the surrounding area.

My cousin said I turn all sorts of words into verbs that aren't supposed to be. The only example I can remember (we were drinking) was talking about my cat, sitting on its legs, I said, "He disappears his limbs when he sits."

His wife enjoyed how informal everything is, noting they say "auntie", etc., for the same purpose.

And also added, "People have four-hour conversations in a few minutes."

And, "When people ask how you're doing, they actually expect an elaborate, detailed answer and are put off if you just say 'good'."

And, "Women look like they were shot in the face with make-up."

She loves the word "scoff" for a meal.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 4:07 PM

After one month in Alberta, my Southern Ontario accent has been pointed out to me a couple times. Biggest differences I've noticed so far:

1. "sorry", I say SAW-ree, people here say SOAR-ee
2. "literally", I say pronounce the T as a D, whereas I've heard a few people here pronounce the T as it's spelled.
3. "probably", I say PROB-blee, whereas people here pronounce the A as well.
4. "about", I say A-bowt, here people tend to say A-bawt, although I've heard some variation of this as well.

Generally I find people here tend to dictate their words more properly than back home. I've also noticed that people tend to put emphasis on the end of their sentences rather than the beginning of the sentences as I do. Generally my way of talking is a bit flatter than born-and-bred Edmontonians.

GlassCity, I remember you saying a few months ago that you speak similarly to me, but I think I talk a bit flatter than you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada