HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
Surprising move by the Ticat's. Going with Collaros, an unproven QB who's started all but 7 games over Burris, an all-time great who produced 10,292 yards, 67 touchdowns vs 37 interceptions in two season with Ham.
Depending on where he ends up, Burris' numbers will be better than Collaros' in 2014, but unless Collaros turns out to be a huge bust that will likely be the end of that. Burris is going to be 39 heading into this season, and history tells us that even though great QBs have long careers, things really drop off in a hurry once they approach 40.

In addition, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Collaros will be making maybe half of what Burris will get paid this season. That will leave the Ticats with a bit more money to sign some other veterans.

So even though Burris is the safe bet for 2014, Collaros is cheaper and with way more upside potential. Personally I would have liked to see the Bombers snatch Collaros, but I guess I can settle for a Burris/Willy combo. (God help us if the Bombers fail to get Burris and Hall starts again...)

And congrats on the ticket purchase, cold!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 2:49 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In addition, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Collaros will be making maybe half of what Burris will get paid this season. That will leave the Ticats with a bit more money to sign some other veterans.
It's hard to know how cheap he really will be. They said yesterday that the Bombers offered Collaros $250 for the first year and $300+ for future years. I would imagine that the Ticats numbers would be comparable. Not bad coin for a guy who started 7 (or 9) games last year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It's hard to know how cheap he really will be. They said yesterday that the Bombers offered Collaros $250 for the first year and $300+ for future years. I would imagine that the Ticats numbers would be comparable. Not bad coin for a guy who started 7 (or 9) games last year.
Whoa, I hadn't heard that. That is proven starter money and frankly I'm a little surprised (pleasantly, given their track record of cheaping out except when it comes to paying out multiple fired coaches at a time their guaranteed salaries) that the Bombers offered him that much. I would have guessed Collaros would have maxed out in the 150-200K range. Burris made about 300K last year, so the Ticats must have offered Collaros around that much.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:28 PM

Collaros signed with the Ticats for something in the vicinity of $250,000 per season plus incentives.
-wfp

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 11:12 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Burris is going to be 39 heading into this season, and history tells us that even though great QBs have long careers, things really drop off in a hurry once they approach 40.
True, wonder how much longer he thinks he'll be able to play and what he's looking for offer-wise.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 3:54 PM

Looks like Burris is going to sign with the RedBlacks and his career is destined to intertwine with Kevin Glenn's yet again. They competed with each other for playing time in Saskatchewan during the 2003 season and although Glenn was the starter, he was traded in the off-season to allow Burris to assume the role. The two pivots were then traded for one another after the 2011 season. And now it seems that both are going to compete for playing time in Ottawa...

Also, where are the Bombers in all of this? They need a qb don't they? Who is left?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Looks like Burris is going to sign with the RedBlacks and his career is destined to intertwine with Kevin Glenn's yet again. They competed with each other for playing time in Saskatchewan during the 2003 season and although Glenn was the starter, he was traded in the off-season to allow Burris to assume the role. The two pivots were then traded for one another after the 2011 season. And now it seems that both are going to compete for playing time in Ottawa...

Also, where are the Bombers in all of this? They need a qb don't they? Who is left?
Oh God, I hope you're wrong... what a disaster it would be if the Bombers were stuck with Max Hall and maybe Drew Willy competing for the starter's job heading into this season.

Bomber fans are pissed enough as it is, and that scenario would wreak havoc on season ticket renewals. People in Winnipeg have a tremendous amount of goodwill towards the Bombers, but the endless bungling over the past 10-12 years is making fans very restless to the point where it's going to really start hurting them financially.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Oh God, I hope you're wrong... what a disaster it would be if the Bombers were stuck with Max Hall and maybe Drew Willy competing for the starter's job heading into this season.

Bomber fans are pissed enough as it is, and that scenario would wreak havoc on season ticket renewals. People in Winnipeg have a tremendous amount of goodwill towards the Bombers, but the endless bungling over the past 10-12 years is making fans very restless to the point where it's going to really start hurting them financially.
I think the Bombers should go Drew Willey as the starter with Burris as the back-up.
Drew has performed quite well in his few starts with the Riders and I think that they can get Hank at a discount (he is almost 40 I think). Hank is an experienced QB (he just has too many brain farts at key times) who could be valuable as mentor to a young starting QB.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:18 PM

^ With his passing numbers the past couple seasons I doubt Burris will be available at too much of a discount, no matter how much Austin seemed to prefer LeFevour at times last year. But I'd wager that he'd be worth the price for the Bombers now that Collaros is gone... the Bombers have reportedly offered Burris starter money as noted in this thread, so they're obviously serious about making something happen.

Willy is a total roll of the dice... he has potential but is he really ready for prime time? I'm not sure.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:23 PM

Burris is signing with the RB's, news at 11 est.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Noooooooooooooooo

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 6:19 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
I don't get it, what is the point of having two #1 QB's? Aside from wanting to shaft the Bombers
Perhaps they're operating on the theory of getting better by making sure your opponents don't?
And can they afford it?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ottawa RodBlacks are an expansion team and they already have three better QB's than the Blue Bombers

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 5:10 PM

Bombers lose Canadian all-star LB Henoc Muamba... no real surprise there given that he has a ton of NFL workouts lined up.

Between failing to sign an experienced QB and losing its best defensive player, I think it's fair to say that we're looking another "rebuilding year" for the Bombers, in the same way that 1945 was a rebuilding year for Dresden.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Bombers lose Canadian all-star LB Henoc Muamba... no real surprise there given that he has a ton of NFL workouts lined up.

Between failing to sign an experienced QB and losing its best defensive player, I think it's fair to say that we're looking another "rebuilding year" for the Bombers, in the same way that 1945 was a rebuilding year for Dresden.

Excellent analogy Squire, like I mentioned earlier , your bringing it up to a new level.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:39 PM

Sounds like the CFL schedule should be coming out next week... I'm counting down the days to this as I'd like to make it out to Ottawa to see the Bombers play there this season.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/06...aled-next-week

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:43 PM
Hmm....

It was just announced that the Redblacks (I refuse to use all-caps), will host the Riders in a pre-season game on June 14th in... Regina.

Details here.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It was just announced that the Redblacks (I refuse to use all-caps), will host the Riders in a pre-season game on June 14th in... Regina.

Details here.
Wow, if that stadium isn't going to be ready, what does that say about Hamilton? Only in the CFL...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Wow, if that stadium isn't going to be ready, what does that say about Hamilton? Only in the CFL...

But getting back to the main point, having the pre-season game in Sask is making the best of a bad situation by Ottawa. Much how sunbelt NHL teams end up playing preseason games in Canadian non-NHL markets because people will actually buy tickets there, it's likely that Sask will generate a much bigger gate for this game than Ottawa would have. So even though it's too bad TD Place won't be ready for the preseason, this could end up making the RedBlacks some coin.

Anyway, I think Sask fans should be gracious and cheer Ottawa as the home team. In Mosaic Stadium style, this means also heckling and belittling Rider players, as well as throwing scrunched up beer cans and C-cell batteries at the Riders players on the sideline.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:48 PM

Quote:

But getting back to the main point, having the pre-season game in Sask is making the best of a bad situation by Ottawa. Much how sunbelt NHL teams end up playing preseason games in Canadian non-NHL markets because people will actually buy tickets there, it's likely that Sask will generate a much bigger gate for this game than Ottawa would have. So even though it's too bad TD Place won't be ready for the preseason, this could end up making the RedBlacks some coin.

Anyway, I think Sask fans should be gracious and cheer Ottawa as the home team. In Mosaic Stadium style, this means also heckling and belittling Rider players, as well as throwing scrunched up beer cans and C-cell batteries at the Riders players on the sideline.
From the article:
Quote:
“We’re going to have a lot of fun with this game,” stated Roughriders President/CEO Jim Hopson. “The REDBLACKS will be on the home side of the field, introduced from their own inflatable helmet and we’re working on a whole series of fan entertainment features to make it really seem like their home game.”
Even if the crowd is cheering for SASK it might make some fans who don't have a team or are new to the game cheer for the REDBLACKS (couldn't help but spell it this way). I think it'll be a fun experience for the Redblacks and hopefully when they go back to Ottawa the crowds will be of the same magnitude and volume. As an Ottawa-native I'm super excited for the CFL to be back in town and the whole Lansdowne Park area will look great when it's fully completed in 2015.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada