HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 9:24 PM

Pensacola Updates

For anyone who cares about P'cola, here are some of the projects all around town. For non-Pensacolaians: You'll see that most of these are small and relatively insignificant. But for a town still recovering from a major huricane, everything here is a step forward. Sorry I don't have any pic's, I'm not great at that yet

Downtown:

-Here is a good website for projects downtown. Some pretty neat stuf going up including several low-mid rises!
http://www.downtownpensacola.com/Housing/index.asp

-Also, the Maritime Park.
http://www.propensacola.com/

Navy Blvd area:

-A new apartment complex is under construction with multiple 4-5 story buildings.

-A new Home Depot and Wal-Mart were recently completed.

-Something is under consturction next to Lowes, rumored to be a Target.

Nine Mile Road area:

-A Kohls was recently completed just west of the Target/Albertsons shopping center.

-A Subway and Starbucks were also built in front of the Kohls.

-A Lowes is being built west of Hwy. 29.

-Just south of Nine Mile on Pine Forest is an apartment complex going up with MANY 3-4 story buildings.

-West of I-10, Navy Federal Credit Union is adding a lot of stuff including a large call center. (all of which are being built "green")

Davis Hwy./Cordova Mall area:

- New Rave Theater was just completed on Bayou along with a Starbucks and Ruby Tuesday's along the way.

-New hospital and Embassy Suites Hotel going in on Airport Blvd. south of Barnes and Noble.

-Cordova Mall is undergoing some renovations to the 9th. Ave. side of the mall. (Macaroni Grill and Moe's Southwest grill were among the new additions)

-Airport/Davis Plazza is going up on the northeast corner of..........you guessed it, Airport and Davis.

-University Mall is going under HUGE renovations staring in early '08. It is going to be knocked down (with the exception of the three anchors) and turned into an outdoor mall. I wish I could find the redering but it was no where to be found.

Milton/Pace:

-Santa Rosa Commons is under construction in Pace. It includes: Target, Publix, Petsmart, Ross, Chilis, Starbucks and a few others (the developer said two similar ones are being planned, one in Santa Rosa and one in Escambia).

-A new Lowes east of Wal-Mart.

-A large housing development called "Jubilee"
http://www.jubileeflorida.com/site/#/vision/

Pensacola Beach/Perdido Key:

I apologize, but I don't really know what is going on there. All I know is that there is no shortage of your typical high-rise condos going up.

Let me know if there is more that you know about that I missed.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 10:37 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Perdido Key/Orange Beach is on FIRE.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the update ! I notice that they use Montgomery and Birmingham as examples of successful multi-use baseball stadiums :
http://friendsofthewaterfrontpark.com/

I read something a month or two ago that the Pensacola/Gulf Breeze zoo is having major financial difficulties, so much so that it might have to close. Is their situation improving ?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the update! I've wanted to go around town and take some pictures all summer, but I haven't had a chance. I saw some of the projects up on Nine Mile Road and Davis Hwy/Cordova area last week when I went up there and it was looking really good.

I also noticed that West Florida Hospital on Davis Highway looks to be undergoing a renovation, which is also looking good.

A New 5 story Courtyard Marriott Hotel just opened downtown about 2-3 weeks ago also.

Hopefully within the next 2 weeks I will be able to get some pictures.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 6:41 AM

Some impressive stuff going on there, especially that first link! Thanks for the compilation, it's good to see P'cola doing well.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
Yeah, that whole area was smacked by Ivan but it's bouncing back better than ever!

DruidCity: Here's the link to the latest article I could find on the Zoo situation.
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/...=2007707290322

I'm really excited about the projects going in downtown, along with the Maritime park and the sewer plant moving, downtown will be a very pleasant place!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 12:27 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
Ain't that the truth. Every time I visit the folks in Foley, Al and head to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Perdido, I'm amazed at the amount of development.

Good to see Pensacola getting in on the action too.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 3:27 PM

Here's a new development for Pensacola Beach!!

Embassy Suites to build $50 million beach hotel

Carlton Proctor
cproctor@pnj.com

Construction of a $50 million Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention complex on Pensacola Beach is scheduled to get under way by July 2008, said hotel developer Julian MacQueen.

The Gulf-front hotel development will feature 190 two-room suites, a 14,500-square-foot ballroom, conference meeting rooms and a full-service restaurant and lounge.

In addition, the hotel's top floors will house 16 penthouse condominiums ranging in size from 1,800 to 2,400 square feet.

MacQueen said his Innisfree Hotel Corp., the project's developer, got the official franchise name approval from Embassy Suites this past week.

"We are delighted to be reaching the next stage of construction of our 10-year development plan for Pensacola Beach," said MacQueen, founder and CEO of Innisfree.

A development order for the hotel construction, previously approved by the Santa Rosa Island Authority, expires in October, said Buck Lee, Island Authority executive director.

"We're very excited about the project," said Lee. "It's nice to have a franchise like Embassy Suites coming to Pensacola Beach."

In addition to MacQueen's project, Lee said Island Authority members will be asked Wednesday to give conceptual approval of a major hotel development planned for the former Holiday Inn property on Fort Pickens Road.

The successful purchase of that property, former site of the 16-unit Windjammer Condominiums, allows Innisfree to build that same number of condo units on the top floors of the hotel. The facility will be constructed on the former Beachside Resort site, adjacent to the Hilton Pensacola Beach Gulf Front.

MacQueen's Innisfree Hotels owns the Hilton on Pensacola Beach and several other hotels, condos and resort properties in Florida and Alabama.

Link to full article:http://pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...709220308/1003

Image from Pensacola News Journal: (It's the building on the left, the hilton on the right is already built)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 3:34 PM
Mobile, Alabama

Great news for P-Cola. Glad to have another beautiful city in the surrounding area. Our entire region is starting to boom.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 2:59 PM

Some good news for downtown Pensacola, an old, fairly run-down hotel is being completely gutted and reconstructed.

Upscale inn to open downtown
Erin Gibson
egibson@pnj.com

Downtown Pensacola soon will have a new inn — one that the owner hopes will be a gathering spot for locals as well as visitors and a prime location for watching parades. The Solé Inn and Suites will replace the Harbor Inn at the corner of Palafox and Gregory streets.

Crews are gutting the existing building, and reconstruction should begin next month on the new inn characterized as 1950s retro-modern.

"It's going to be a boutique-style hotel for downtown with about 45 rooms and suites," said Alan Williams, the sole member of Gulf Breeze Hotel Group that owns Solé.

The frame of the building will remain the same, but fresh paint, new windows and doors and a second-floor balcony perfect for watching parades will change its look.

"The intent is to rehabilitate that building and make it something that is more of a complement to the downtown area rather than an eyesore," said Keith Branch, an intern architect at Bay Design Associates.

Plans for the upscale inn include:
- Flat-screen TVs, platform beds, free Wi-Fi connections and large towels.
- Beach cruiser bicycles for sightseeing.
- An upscale continental breakfast and a wine and hors d'oeuvres meet-and-greet from 5 to 7 p.m.
- A saltwater pool with pool-side cabanas and a privacy fence.
- An outdoor deck on the roof of the lobby for happy hour, meals, watching parades or just looking down Palafox to Garden Street.

"The look is going to be a real clean, sleek, sophisticated look with a modern edge," Griffin said. "We're trying to attract a different kind of clientele."

Williams hopes to begin accepting reservations in early 2008.

Link for full article: http://pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...709230308/1003

Image from the Pensacola News Journal:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 10:45 PM

Another Hotel for Pensacola Beach! Article from Pensacola News Journal, no rendering yet.

162-room hotel planned for beach
Carlton Proctor
cproctor@pnj.com

Construction is expected to begin in December on a 162-room, upscale boutique hotel on the old Holiday Inn property on Pensacola Beach.

The project is being developed by Little Sabine Inc., a Pensacola-based company associated with American Fidelity Life Insurance Co. Joe McCay, general manager for the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand, said the hotel will be a franchise of the Indigo brand developed by IHG, parent company of Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza and Intercontinental.

"Indigo is a boutique hotel," said McCay. "The color schemes and furnishings will be very different from anything at Pensacola Beach... Every season the color schemes will change in the hotel."

McCay said plans call for construction to be completed by mid-2009.

The nine-story hotel will be part of a three-phase plan for redevelopment of the Gulf side property and old Holiday Inn, destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in 2004.

The Adache Group Architects, designer of the Portofino towers on Pensacola Beach, has been hired to draw plans for the Indigo Hotel.

The Little Sabine Inc. plans will go before the Santa Rosa Island Authority today for conceptual approval, according to Buck Lee, the Island Authority general manager. In July 2006, the Island Authority granted Little Sabine Inc. conceptual approval to construct a new 620-room resort in three phases on the old Holiday Inn site. Lee said Little Sabine plans to build phase three of the project first, with phase one and two to follow.

In addition to considering the Indigo project today, the Island Authority will also consider hotel developer Julian MacQueen's plans for a 190-room Embassy Suites on a site just east of his existing Hilton Hotel on Pensacola Beach.

Together, the two major hotel projects would add more than 350 upscale rooms to Pensacola Beach's lodging inventory that was nearly cut in half by damages from Ivan.

Lee said after a full review by staff, he is recommending the Hotel Indigo project be given conceptual approval to build the nine-story structure. Seven stories will be habitable, with the other two dedicated for underground parking. Both MacQueen and Little Sabine's hotel projects are coming at a time when Pensacola Beach's tourist economy is undergoing a robust recovery from the devastation of Ivan.

http://pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...709260337/1003

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:02 PM
Endless Moments...

Is there more renderings? I have always wanted to visit, one day...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:59 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Is there more renderings? I have always wanted to visit, one day...

Have you ever been to the Alabama/Florida Gulf Coast? The stretch from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City Beach, FL is breathtaking!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 5:18 AM

That inn going in downtown is probably the first "upscale" hotel I've seen that has outside entrances to the rooms lol. But it still looks pretty nice.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 4:55 PM

Here's a good rundown on a few of the projects around the area from the Pensacola Business Journal.

Main Head
Published - December, 28, 2007
Carlton Proctor
cproctor@pnj.com

Although still mired in a prolonged residential housing and auto sales slump, a forecast of the Pensacola Bay Area's 2008 economy is not without its bright spots.

Some big-money commercial and residential projects under way in Escambia and Santa Rosa counties should pump hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy and help keep the jobless rate near all-time lows.

Some of the major commercial projects expected to break ground or complete construction this year include:

$30 million Seashells Collections:
An up-scale shopping center in Gulf Breeze, anchored by a Publix supermarket. Developed by Moulton Properties of Pensacola, the development features several "green" features that will minimize the environmental impact and storm water runoff from the 16-acre site.
Completion of the shopping center is expected by late spring of this year.

Jubilee:
A huge residential project planned for the Pace area, is moving forward again despite facing more than $5.5 million in liens last year.

Originally proposed by Atlanta-based The Eagle Group, the 2,718-acre project is now under the control of a company called 2718 Santa Rosa, L.L.C.

The first phase was scheduled to have 588 single-family homes priced from $275,000 to $1.5 million. At completion, the three-phase project was to have boasted thousands of homes.

Developers of Jubilee have submitted an application for development approval to Santa Rosa County, according to Bill DuBois with the division of Planning and Zoning.

Hawkshaw Village:
A $20 million-plus joint venture by Hawkshaw Eastside Inc. and Moulton Properties, both of Pensacola, is also on track to start construction this year.

The proposed first phase of the new four-acre development would have:
  • Thirty units of affordable housing with a price range of $125,000 to $250,000.
  • Some 110,000 square feet of mixed-use space for offices, retail shops and restaurants.
  • Construction of a $1 million retention pond/lake on a portion of Admiral Mason Park.
  • Surface parking space and landscaping.

Hawkshaw Village is proposed for about four acres of property located adjacent Gulf Power's headquarters on Bayfront Parkway.

$40 million Gulfview Marina on Bayou Chico:
To be located on a 13-acre Bayou Chico site, that was once the site of the former Runyan Shipyards, long considered an industrial eyesore is being developed by South Florida investor Colin Farnum and his Destin-based partners.

Plans calls for a marina whose centerpiece will be a hurricane resistant structure that can provide dry storage for up to 1,000 boats.

Farnum said site preparation and environmental cleanup have been completed, and construction will get underway sometime in early 2008.

"This will be a state-of-the-art boating center that will serve our community for years to come," said Farnum. "Our dry storage building will be constructed to withstand 140 mph winds."

Farnum said the project will be built in several stages, the first with 300 boat slips, and more as the marina fills up.

"We completed a market study of the Panhandle and found that the marinas are 95 percent full. During the high season, and especially during hurricane season, you cannot find a spot to park your boat," he said.

In addition to the marina, Farnum said retail space is planned, but how much will be determined by another marketing study.

Holiday Inn property on Pensacola Beach:
Construction is expected to begin early this year on a 162-room, upscale boutique hotel on the old Holiday Inn property on Pensacola Beach.

The project is being developed by Little Sabine Inc., a Pensacola-based company associated with American Fidelity Life Insurance Co.

Joe McCay, general manager for the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand,cqsaid the hotel will be a franchise of the Indigo brand developed by IHG, parent company of Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza and Intercontinental.

"Indigo is a boutique hotel," said McCay. "The color schemes and furnishings will be very different from anything at Pensacola Beach. ... Every season the color schemes will change in the hotel."

Room sizes will average 498 square feet, and the hotel will have a restaurant and lounge, in addition to 2,000 square feet of meeting space.

McCay said plans call for construction to be completed by mid-2009.

The nine-story hotel will be part of a three-phase plan for redevelopment of the Gulf side property and old Holiday Inn, destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in 2004.
The Adache Group Architects, designer of the Portofino towers on Pensacola Beach, has been hired to draw plans for the Indigo Hotel.

In addition to the Indigo project, Pensacola-based hotel developer Julian MacQueen's announced plans late last year for a 190-room Embassy Suites on a site just east of his existing Hilton Hotel on Pensacola Beach.

Together, the two major hotel projects would add more than 350 upscale rooms to Pensacola Beach's lodging inventory that was nearly cut in half by damages from Ivan.

http://www.pensacolabusinessjournal....712280303/1115

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 2:34 PM

I've been driving past this site for weeks now wondering what it is. It seems I don't have to wonder anymore:

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...803300318/1003

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 9:49 PM

Here is the status and an aerial photo of Navy Federal's 3,000 job campus expansion from the contractor's site:

http://www.greenhut.com/gallery/19-N...mpus-Expansion

you can also click thru a number of general area projects they are/were involved in.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 12:32 AM

Here is a poor and senseless photo of Perdido Key I took this evening in the smoggy-like conditions. ;-) I'd like to walk up the bridge one day and get a decent pic of the whole wall of condos. But I'm simply too lazy. The Blue Angels buzzed over my head in formation right after I took this shot. That was sorta cool.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 5:39 PM

Question ???

Why is it taking so much time to actually build the Maritime Ballpark ? I have been reading about this project for 5 years or more, and it looks like this will be a winner when finished. I was born in the Navy Hospital in Pensacola and was adopted about 3 months later and know nothing about my past, is the Hospital still there and how hard is it to get on the base?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestrabbi View Post
Why is it taking so much time to actually build the Maritime Ballpark ? I have been reading about this project for 5 years or more, and it looks like this will be a winner when finished. I was born in the Navy Hospital in Pensacola and was adopted about 3 months later and know nothing about my past, is the Hospital still there and how hard is it to get on the base?
I don't think all of the funding is in place for the park, and not to mention, it's Pensacola. It will take forever for that thing to be built. I don't know if it's the same hospital or not but there is one on Cory station. But I don't know how difficult it is to get in for a civilian. My dad is military so we don't have any problems.

Good link and pics, Muskavon. Right now I'm working a part time job cleaning condos on Perdido Key. I will try to get some good shots sometime.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast