HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:19 AM

AC Hotel (Marriott) | 130' | 13 floors | Completed

-------------------------

Original Post:

Speaking of embarrassing blocks -- this bothers me as much as PAW and the Oak Tower plots:

Has there ever been plans to develop this? The dirt path is an eyesore and directly in the heart of downtown.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Dec 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 9:19 AM

what used to be there?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 3:43 PM

IIRC it was a 2-story wooden building with either a really divey bar or some really awful retail. The building was in terrible shape, or it appeared to be. I think it was light green. It was torn down at least ten years ago.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 4:09 PM

I feel exactly the same way about this area, the worst is the vacant lot, but the surrounding properties aren't in much better shape, the block to the south is a single story boarded up building and that historic brick building is highly underutilized with much of it closed off. This is all 1 block or less from Pioneer Place and Yamhill Street, seemed to me they could have tried to grow the retail district into this area because its so underutilized (although I admit the retail district wants to grow westward to the West End). At least the Yamhill Marketplace building is getting a facelift because that too was part of the eyesore of this area.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 6:52 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
I feel exactly the same way about this area, the worst is the vacant lot, but the surrounding properties aren't in much better shape.
Absolutely. Oh my god, that particular spot needs so much help. Look at the 1 story buildings across the street. YIKES. It's a tough spot because even though it's right in the heart of downtown, it's not where retail is or is headed. It is a shame there isn't a way to turn that vacant lot into something usable though. There has to be a better use, even if it's nothing more than to donate the space on a temporary basis to an artist for some kind of public art. But even something as simple as planting grass costs money. Sigh.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1
even if it's nothing more than to donate the space on a temporary basis to an artist for some kind of public art.
They did try that with horrific results. The first art project was some strange looking statues placed around the property. A couple weeks later some asshole(s) smashed them all. The next art project was two chain link fence decorated in what looked like 6 foot tall, green pipe cleaners. They placed the fences parallel creating a little walkway, or a perfectly hidden space for people to shoot up.

I'd even take an EcoHaus project if that lot could be developed.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Oh. Ew.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:04 AM

AC Hotel (Marriott) | 130' | 13 floors | U/C

This doesn't seem to have been reported anywhere, so you read it here first. Pre-application conference [PDF] for a new AC by Marriott hotel, on the vacant lot at SW 3rd & Taylor (near the mall - same block as Luc-Lac). 13 storys, 130' tall, 204 rooms, quarter block. Architects are SERA. I hadn't heard of this brand before, so I looked into it, and here's how Marriott's Global Brand Officer describes it:

Quote:
As a select-service product, AC Hotels will play in the same space as Marriott’s SpringHill Suites and Courtyard brands. King downplayed any concerns about cannibalization in that moderately priced segment.

“We’re not going to build a brand if we don’t believe there is a market,” he said. “There is a market for this design-led sensibility that consumers are seeking out.”

AC Hotels serves guests looking for a sleeker, more chic experience in their select-service hotel stays. The brand’s public spaces will feature a bistro and bar, as well as a curated collection of locally sourced art that gives the vibe of a trendy art house or museum.
Sounds like Marriott's attempt to compete with Starwood's W Hotels, or Hyatt's Andaz, but at a lower price point. Would be a great addition to downtown. That corner needs some love.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Aug 23, 2014 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:18 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

SW 3rd & Taylor?! On the vacant lot? AWE YEAH!!! Please please please let this happen and happen fast. The sooner the better.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:50 AM

I walk through that area several times a week. Would be amazing for something to go up there. Hope the design gets refined, it's looking a little like a Telco building.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:55 AM

Oh that would be wonderful!

Speaking of that area, what's the deal with the building on the opposite corner at SW 2nd and Taylor? The gorgeous 6 story building that's obviously seen better days. I think it's abandoned now. It has so much potential. I'd hate to see it torn down, but that entire block needs love. Between the 1 story Good Earth Cafe, parking garage entrance and that derelict building...perhaps a new high-ish end hotel could spark some new development on that block. Maybe a nice L shaped building if that brick building can't be saved.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:24 AM

So, I did a bunch of research. (I'm at home on painkillers, in case anyone is wondering how this is how I usually spend my Friday nights.)

Firstly, I found the AC by Marriott brand standards brochure [PDF] and photo gallery [PDF]. The exterior photos don't lead me to think they'll be going for anything beyond perfunctory in the facade, but the rooms and public spaces generally look very well designed. The AC Lounge (name of their bar) should be a positive addition to a part of downtown without a lot of great choices for drinks.

(AC Hotel Barcelona)

Clicking around on Google Streetview in the vicinity led me into looking up what's happening with the Yamhill Marketplace redevelopment. It's being branded 2&Taylor, and they have a leasing website. Jama Software are the anchor tenant, occupying 35,000 sq ft. There are three retail spaces fronting onto SW 2nd, and one retail/office space fronting onto SW 1st/Yamhill. There's no indication if these have been leased yet. I heard a rumor a long time ago about Nicky USA opening a store in here, but I assume that either wasn't true, or has been abandoned. Anyway, efiles the full set of Historic Resource Review drawings [PDF - 10MB] and Staff Report [PDF]. I quite like the exterior expression. It's deferential to the historic district it's located in, but also clearly contemporary enough in its detailing (large windows, stack bonded brick, etc). Compare and contrast with what used to be there in this sales flyer [PDF].

(2&Taylor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Speaking of that area, what's the deal with the building on the opposite corner at SW 2nd and Taylor? The gorgeous 6 story building that's obviously seen better days. I think it's abandoned now. It has so much potential. I'd hate to see it torn down, but that entire block needs love. Between the 1 story Good Earth Cafe, parking garage entrance and that derelict building...perhaps a new high-ish end hotel could spark some new development on that block. Maybe a nice L shaped building if that brick building can't be saved.
I've wondered about that building too. [Google street view]. It was built in 1892, but is not listed on any historic resource inventory. Frankly it is pretty badly proportioned, but has its charms. I'd love to see it brought back into use. The list of cases on PortlandMaps isn't encouraging though. Dangerous building notification in 2009 after a fire. Repair done without permits. Building permits issued where work has started, but the permit was allowed to expire. Building permits intended to legalize illegal work, but which have never received final approval.

Hopefully maybe the upcoming changes in this area could lead to this building having a new life. It would be great to see this area of downtown evolve in the way the West End has.

(915 SW 2nd Ave)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:49 AM

So many are popping up -- HQ, this project, Hilton, etc..

Is the market strong enough or will it be too saturated for a big project like the Hilton Curio?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:52 AM

Great news! I worked one block away from that lot for a few years and walked by it almost daily. I always wondered why there was a vacant lot in such a dense part of DT.

This would totally change the fabric of that part of town. However, the facade needs some work. Those cold, black vertical strips ain't doing it for me.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 5:24 PM

AC Hotel (Marriott) | 130' | 13 floors | U/C

Developer proposes to bring hip Marriott hotel brand to downtown Portland

Will be an AC hotels brand of Marriott!
http://achotels.marriott.com/en/

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...l#incart_river

Mortenson Construction, the company picked to build a subsidized hotel to serve the Oregon Convention Center, is also proposing a 204-room hotel across the river in downtown Portland.

Documents submitted to city development officials describe a 13-story AC Hotel by Marriott at the corner of Southwest Third Avenue and Taylor street on a vacant quarter block owned by the Portland Development Commission.

In May the PDC solicited offers for the site, laying out a timeline that would culminate in an agreement with a developer this month.

Agency spokesman Shawn Uhlman said that if the sale were to move forward, it would be for the site's fair-market price and the project would receive no other PDC assistance. The site was recently appraised at $2.5 million.

Marriott International imported the upper-moderate AC Hotels brand from Europe last year in an effort to expand its reach among younger business travelers. It describes the brand as "design-focused" with an "urban spirit."

AC Hotels typically include a lounge that serves small plates, cocktails, wines and craft beers, and they include a library with "locally relevant" reading materials.

The hotels are usually located in urban centers. Where hotel chains often aim for uniformity between locations, the AC Hotels chain follows a recent trend of seeking to take on a local flavor.

Marriott said earlier in June it plant to open more than 30 AC Hotels over three years in North and South America.

The PDC bought the site in 1999 and demolished the building there, which had most recently housed an adult video store.

Mortenson, a Minneapolis-based general contractor, was tapped by the Metro regional government to build a 600-room Hyatt Regency hotel near the Oregon Convention Center. The $212 million project would be privately owned but backed with $60 million in bonds to be repaid with the hotels' lodging tax receipts, as well as $18 million in direct local and state subsidies.

Hilton recently proposed a 300-room boutique hotel at Southwest Second Avenue and Jefferson. It would be part of Hilton's Curio Collection, a group of will four- or five-star hotels each operating under its own distinctive brand.

Last edited by Tanaka07; Aug 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM. Reason: AC Hotel

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 6:10 PM

This is so great -- of course it'd be nicer to have a skinny high-rise there, but ANYTHING on that block is welcome! It's such an eyesore right smack dab in the middle of DT. And this sounds like it would bring a nice street-level presence to the area. I'm so glad to see this block getting some love.... and to see DT finally catch the economic recovery with some new construction outside PAW.

Someone in the Downtown Portland News thread re: this project mentioned how this and some other projects (like 2nd and Taylor) could transform this area into the next West End, which would be awesome. They are very different neighborhoods -- this part of DT doesn't have the hip factor/Pearl-adjacent advantages -- but it would be nice to see the DT waterfront area start to come to life in its own way.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 6:46 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

This could be perfect for that vacant lot. I'd love to see the building directly across SW Taylor either gutted and rehabbed or demolished and developed. And there's no better time to do it than while a hotel is going up across the street. Not that it's going to happen, but I can dream. Well... it's going to happen, eventually.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:18 PM

So, both the 23-story Curio Hotel and this 13-story AC hotel will occupy that vacant half-block?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:24 PM

No, the Curio would be on SW 2nd and Jefferson, on the half black next to Essex House.

The AC Marriott is proposed for the quarter vacant lot at SW 3rd and Taylor.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
No, the Curio would be on SW 2nd and Jefferson, on the half black next to Essex House.

The AC Marriott is proposed for the quarter vacant lot at SW 3rd and Taylor.
My bad. I didn't read the article very well. But, that's great infill news! Especially the vacant lot on 3rd & Taylor!

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland