HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah you guys are right downtown businesses in many US cities started boarding up well before George Floyd was killed.

It was in anticipation of being closed for a long time due to the pandemic.

No one at that time could have predicted the summer's unrest.
Some cities boarded up March, then took the boards down in May, then had to board back up from June riots, then took the boards down, then boarded back up again in the Fall.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Yeah, I previously posted an article from the local NBC affiliate entitled San Francisco's Union Square, a Boarded-Up Ghost Town that was published on March 23, 2020--months before George Floyd protests occurred in San Francisco. And it wasn't just Union Square that boarded up in late March last year, all the larger commercial districts were boarding up by then too. Mayor Breed locked down SF on March 16, 2020 and the city went silent almost immediately.
That's true of Union Square and the tourist-dependent areas but not downtown-adjacent areas. The two drugstores near me--a Walgreen's and a CVS--were not boarded up until the riots caused them to be looted. After that they boarded up and stayed boarded all summer and at least until November.

Generally speaking, I think "non-essential" businesses that had to close boarded up in the Spring. "Essential" ones that remained open did not board up until they perceived a risk from rioting.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 12:57 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
That's true of Union Square and the tourist-dependent areas but not downtown-adjacent areas.
With my own eyes I saw most businesses in the Castro, the Mission, North Beach, Union Square, Civic Center, the Financial District, etc. board up in late March. It was shocking and disturbing.

But you did not see that with your own eyes:

Quote:
I wasn’t here in the early weeks of the COVID epidemic so I don’t know if they were boarded then but I doubt it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:26 AM

Quote:
With my own eyes I saw most businesses in the Castro, the Mission, North Beach, Union Square, Civic Center, the Financial District, etc. board up in late March. It was shocking and disturbing.

But you did not see that with your own eyes:
I saw with my own eyes a week after the riot the broken glass the boards were covering and that didn't happen until June. If the boards had been there before the riot, the glass likely wouldn't have been broken.

Again, a high percentage of the businesses to which you refer were not "essential" and were closed which was probably why they boarded up. But do you know for a fact that businesses that remained open because they were "essential" boarded up their glass? It's hard to imagine why they would as long as they were open until that glass was put at risk by the riot.

I'll add this: I found entering stores that were open but boarded up after the riot to be depressing, like going into dark caves where normally sunlight streamed through the glass windows. It almost felt post-apocalyptic. Again, I can't imagine a proprietor creating this atmosphere if business was proceeding normally and without any threat.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:35 AM

I miss going to the downtown in my city. I have not had any opportunity to go there.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:31 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
I saw with my own eyes a week after the riot the broken glass the boards were covering and that didn't happen until June. If the boards had been there before the riot, the glass likely wouldn't have been broken.

Again, a high percentage of the businesses to which you refer were not "essential" and were closed which was probably why they boarded up. But do you know for a fact that businesses that remained open because they were "essential" boarded up their glass?
I know the car rental agents were complaining about their windows being boarded up. It was definitely depressing in there.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:

Again, a high percentage of the businesses to which you refer were not "essential" and were closed which was probably why they boarded up. But do you know for a fact that businesses that remained open because they were "essential" boarded up their glass? It's hard to imagine why they would as long as they were open until that glass was put at risk by the riot.

I'll add this: I found entering stores that were open but boarded up after the riot to be depressing, like going into dark caves where normally sunlight streamed through the glass windows. It almost felt post-apocalyptic. Again, I can't imagine a proprietor creating this atmosphere if business was proceeding normally and without any threat.
What was more depressing was the fact that some spray painted their plywood in support of the very people who destroyed their businesses or felt the need to state what race owned the business.

One business on the south side of Chicago had "black jobs matter!" on his plywood. But yeah.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:05 PM

Manhattan around 10 times (used to be daily)
Jersey City around 30 times
Chicago around 10 times

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
No, San Francisco boarded up in March 2020 and that is one of the main reasons why we left the City then.
This is also what happened in Manhattan. I recall businesses in SoHo, Meatpacking, etc., boarding up during the first week of the lockdown in March 2020.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 6:37 AM

Zero times to the CBD/French Quarter which is really a sad thing to realize. We'd typically go at least twice a month for some type of festival, concert, or musical/play before the pandemic. We've mainly visited friends and frequented restaurants near those friends homes in the Freret, Carrollton, and Mid-City neighborhoods of New Orleans.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 11:15 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

been to manhattan once in the past year.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
This is Stockholm, so nothing ever closed. There have just been some changes in business hours. I go downtown fairly regularly, as I live in a downtown-adjacent area. The only visual evidence of COVID-19 is masks on maybe 10-15% of people and lower traffic levels.
Can you please explain to me why Swedes are such anti-maskers?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions