HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I hate these blank walled podiums though. One of the Chicago forumers was commenting on 608 Guadalupe and suggested they follow the model of One Chicago Square which is in development now. That tower in Chicago is gorgeous, and the base/podium is very well done. It reminds me a bit of the two buildings flanking our city hall, which I think have nice facades. I wish our podiums had more texture to them. I get that you won't have that with parking stumps since there really isn't a reason to since there aren't any windows, but this is something that is greatly affecting the appearance of something they're trying to market. It's one of the most noticeable features.

One Chicago Square thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=230226

Austin's architectural style seems to be trending toward modern which usually favors slick skinned buildings with very little detail. It's one of the things I don't like so much about modern architecture because really there's nothing wrong with having a mix of styles from street level to 500 to 700 feet up since the uses between those aren't the same.
The block is about 1.5 times longer on each side, so there is more room to wrap the parking (if it is above grade), not to mention, have an additional tower on top of the podium.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:49 AM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKTX View Post
Overall, it seems like it's for the best. But the possibility of retrofitting the old hospital building for a new use has me worried.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:09 AM
Meh

I can't imagine them repurposing the building where so many people were sick and even dying could be an attractive possibility to anyone. I for one will not miss that building when it's gone.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:19 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKTX View Post
I smell a rat! And I don't trust Gottesman...Never have.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:21 AM

Why do they never show the winning proposals?

And I'm hoping that those beautiful renderings weren't chosen because of how tall the buildings were, or just the idea that having those projects built in Austin just seems too ambitious.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOnsii View Post
Why do they never show the winning proposals?

And I'm hoping that those beautiful renderings weren't chosen because of how tall the buildings were, or just the idea that having those projects built in Austin just seems too ambitious.
They do (and did). The "winner" is now off the project.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Feb 22, 2018 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:01 PM

Looks like this redevelopment is scratched for the time being. Hospital towER to be leased to med school for starters. This definitely sucks, but the plan was probably a bit ambitious for this point in time.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:52 AM

So I’ve heard UT Austin is seriously considering buying this tract of land as it locks up a natural growth corridor for them. Unless they do some joint venture, it’s looking like the potential for mixed-use or significant high rises on this site is dying. UT will probably sit on it until they use some of that endowment to add some shiny new buildings and extend campus.

UT could also choose to work with a developer, but it’s looking more like UT rather than some of the prior contenders. I don’t understand why Central Health can’t call back Brandywine and ask them to meet for coffee and bring those glossy renders back to town while they’re at it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
So I’ve heard UT Austin is seriously considering buying this tract of land as it locks up a natural growth corridor for them. Unless they do some joint venture, it’s looking like the potential for mixed-use or significant high rises on this site is dying. UT will probably sit on it until they use some of that endowment to add some shiny new buildings and extend campus.

UT could also choose to work with a developer, but it’s looking more like UT rather than some of the prior contenders. I don’t understand why Central Health can’t call back Brandywine and ask them to meet for coffee and bring those glossy renders back to town while they’re at it.
I got the impression from reading an announcement a few weeks ago that Central Health, in a deal involving an entity known as the 2033 Fund, planned to lease the old hospital tower to UT, and the tower would be re purposed for the present time to suit expansion needs. I assume this means the tower won't be imploded any time soon and might see new life as a medical building of some sort. A KXAN news story said the UT System Board of Regents will consider authorizing the university to lease those blocks from the 2033 Fund for Dell Medical School activities and other groups with a similar health care mission. The 2033 Fund (Sandy Gottesman and other connected UT alums) is the likely entity to get overall long term development rights for the hospital tract.

http://kxan.com/2018/02/21/plans-cha...spital-campus/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I got the impression from reading an announcement a few weeks ago that Central Health, in a deal involving an entity known as the 2033 Fund, planned to lease the old hospital tower to UT, and the tower would be re purposed for the present time to suit expansion needs. I assume this means the tower won't be imploded any time soon and might see new life as a medical building of some sort. A KXAN news story said the UT System Board of Regents will consider authorizing the university to lease those blocks from the 2033 Fund for Dell Medical School activities and other groups with a similar health care mission. The 2033 Fund (Sandy Gottesman and other connected UT alums) is the likely entity to get overall long term development rights for the hospital tract.

http://kxan.com/2018/02/21/plans-cha...spital-campus/
Interesting. This is probably what they were referring to then. Either way, I got the sense that this would end the visions of private, vertical development at least for the time being but maybe 2033 will work separately with a developer on select portions of the site.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Interesting. This is probably what they were referring to then. Either way, I got the sense that this would end the visions of private, vertical development at least for the time being but maybe 2033 will work separately with a developer on select portions of the site.
I just hope 2033 does not signify the date when they hope to be finished redeveloping the site!! I think whatever happens in those several blocks is likely to be organic and piece meal. Sometimes that can work out well, assuming that development is fairly continuous. I predict that the area in question will become a gigantic medical center/hospital complex over time.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 10:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I predict that the area in question will become a gigantic medical center/hospital complex over time.
I agree. This area will become Austin's Medical District. To what extent will we see vertical development will depend on as you stated organic circumstances depending on the parcel, timing and kind of demand as well as the amount of money invested in individual parcels. We probably won't see 7 glistening towers when all is said and done, however it doesn't mean we won't see any significant height. I do think it will be awhile, at least 5 years and likely longer before we get an idea of how this area may look in the future.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
They do (and did). The "winner" is now off the project.
Really? Where are the winner's design?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOnsii View Post
Really? Where are the winner's design?
To the left and down the hall.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
To the left and down the hall.
In Brackenridge??

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 10:31 PM

Some movement on three of the blocks. From the 05/03/18 AULCC meeting notes:

"Proporosed redevelopment of eastern portion of Block 164, all of Block 167 and 168 of the Original City. The redevleopment is submitting to AULCC during the preliminary stage of design to identify potential utility relocations and connections."

Here's the location. I believe this is the part UT Dell is using for expansion. The notes say the sponsor of the project is "Private Developer."

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...nt_PLAN_01.pdf

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 11:05 PM

Here's the website of the civil engineering firm that did the drawing. They have done a lot of work for U.T., and they worked on the U.T. Dell Medical Center project.

http://www.garzaemc.com/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:28 AM

Red River St. from in front of the Hotel Mirabeau site through the Brackenridge campus is now part of U.T.'s Med Center expansion. I wonder if they plan to straighten it to like they did during Phase I to eliminate that last disconnected section?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Red River St. from in front of the Hotel Mirabeau site through the Brackenridge campus is now part of U.T.'s Med Center expansion. I wonder if they plan to straighten it to like they did during Phase I to eliminate that last disconnected section?

Yes I think that is the plan once they demo Brackenridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin