HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Nothing would be put to rest. Manchaca Road is not all within the city limits. Actually, it leaves the city twice.

I don't think this is true. The southern tip near 1626 is the only part of the street that is not in the city limits. There is a portion of land next to the street that is outside the limits further north but the street itself is in the city limits.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:46 AM

Whenever it comes to researching very old items like the whole Manchac/Menchaca origins, I always love to look at Google books. They have some really old stuff that has been OCR'ed and is searchable.

In this case, I was primarily interested in 19th century texts. It seems to have been referred to both ways even 120+ years ago (it's pretty logical to assume the place was named after the springs, and the road named after the place).

The results? Inconclusive, but I kind of lean towards Manchac because of the older references (particularly the 1859 list of post offices, which list Manchac, Hays, Texas)

Example searches -
https://www.google.com/search?q=manc...x:1899&tbm=bks

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=cd...+springs+texas

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:23 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I don't think this is true. The southern tip near 1626 is the only part of the street that is not in the city limits. There is a portion of land next to the street that is outside the limits further north but the street itself is in the city limits.
Google Austin, TX.
Go to the Map.
Zoom in to Manchaca Road where you can see the city limits.

It exits CoA just south of Slaughter Lane. It then reenters CoA just south of the Saddle Creek Apartments. It then exits CoA around Chappell Lane.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Google Austin, TX.
Go to the Map.
Zoom in to Manchaca Road where you can see the city limits.

It exits CoA just south of Slaughter Lane. It then reenters CoA just south of the Saddle Creek Apartments. It then exits CoA around Chappell Lane.
Google Maps is wrong.

http://www.austintexas.gov/GIS/JurisdictionsWebMap/

Last edited by freerover; Feb 22, 2018 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:19 AM

On a completely different subject, Michael Dell just paid $100 million for a penthouse at the one W 57th condo tower in Manhattaun. It's the highest price paid in this pricey building, but the talk us that he overpaid. 10,000 square feet about 1000 feet in the air. Is he planning to spend lots of time there? Does he still love Austin? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
On a completely different subject, Michael Dell just paid $100 million for a penthouse at the one W 57th condo tower in Manhattaun. It's the highest price paid in this pricey building, but the talk us that he overpaid. 10,000 square feet about 1000 feet in the air. Is he planning to spend lots of time there? Does he still love Austin? Inquiring minds want to know.
That was the most expensive home ever purchased in NYC, and people had been wondering who the mystery buyer was. In addition to his huge West Lake Hills and NYC homes, he apparently has two large Boston condo penthouses and a huge estate in Hawaii. The man is doing well.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
This article says the deal closed in 2014, so he didn't just buy it. It's just now known who did, I think. Also seems like it might not be worth as much now:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/dell-f...r-sold-in-nyc/

That would be not long after he had ordered a $200M Boeing 787 Dreamliner, as well:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/b...reamliner.html

He must have been in a spending mood those couple of years...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
This article says the deal closed in 2014, so he didn't just buy it. It's just now known who did, I think. Also seems like it might not be worth as much now:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/dell-f...r-sold-in-nyc/

That would be not long after he had ordered a $200M Boeing 787 Dreamliner, as well:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/b...reamliner.html

He must have been in a spending mood those couple of years...
Does he park that Boeing in Austin? Is there another place in Austin (other than ABIA) that can land that plane?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab View Post
Does he park that Boeing in Austin? Is there another place in Austin (other than ABIA) that can land that plane?
Maybe he has a private 12,000' runway on his weekend ranch?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The name change process is quite involved. I don't know the all COA requirements for this specific road. But it is likely at least 50% or more of the owners on that street would have to agree with the name change. Highly unlikely they all want to change there addresses. This would be a massive undertaking by 911 Addressing in Austin and USPS as well as all the home owners and businesses along this road. You just don't say lets change this and it happens because of a Council vote. It's a public vote after public hearings, notifications and such.

The right of way (ROW) south of Slaughter is still in the COA city limits. Some of the land west of this area is not COA and is still Travis County jurisdiction.

Only south of Frate Barker Rd is this road outside the COA limits, but at that point it is a TXDOT (FM 2304) road to FM 1626.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 10:49 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Come learn 42, the Texas domino game, tonight at the Central Library. 6th floor 6:00-9:00pm

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:45 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I know that was last minute. I decided to go last minute as well.

Every first Tuesday of the month the Library has a game night. 3 or 4 tables and they provide board games. The Austin 42 Club is part of this and is there to teach new people how to play. I won't usually be there because I work. I took off a little bit tonight so I could check it out.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:00 PM

Shout out to my architect (Barron Custom) for 3 Max Award nominations for my home in Zilker. (Low Country Urban)

Thank you Felicia Foster.

Best Custom Home $250-500k
Best outdoor space <$75K
Best Master Bath >$50k

One proud home owner.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:00 PM

SSP pool party?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
SSP pool party?
Let's do it. I'll provide the beer. Kevin, round em up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:29 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Awesome house, man! Congrats!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Beautiful! congrats to a gorgeous home.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:48 PM

Interseting article I saw on Reddit this morning:

http://kut.org/post/why-map-floor-au...l-misspellings

Quote:
Anglo founders of Austin were saying “Guadaloup” much like many people still do today when referring to the street. In fact, even before Austin was founded, the river after which the street was named was referred to the same way.

So when you hear people say “Guadaloup” in Austin, they may be butchering the Spanish, but they're also staying true to the way Pilié named the street on the first-ever Austin map.
The more you know! ====*

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:44 PM
Meh

I pronounce the river with a "Guadalupay" sound and the street with the "Guadaloop" sound. It's weird I know, but so is people debating over the correct pronunciation of the word, especially when its origin specifically pronounces it a certain way. Coincidentally, we have a candidate for governor - her name is Lupe, and she pronounces it "Lupay".

By the way, that's a very nice house, Dcbrickley. That's gorgeous. Congrats!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 8:44 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I got to play 42 in the Google Tower today. 29th floor Google game lounge. Pretty nice. Great views!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin