HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:08 AM
Fourth and Main

The tech boom continues! More new office space for tech companies...

Bailey Power Plant Building 23-1:
A new construction 5-storey building is the latest proposed addition to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The new building will incorporate an existing 2-storey Bailey Power Plant Building from 1926 and parts of the new brick and glass building will be designed to fit-in with the older building. This project is Phase 2 of the Bailey Power Plant Project. It appears as if the new construction building will be mostly office space and the 1926 building will be entertainment & retail space, with part of the new building also used for entertainment & retail. It will have a total of 58,000 square feet of entertainment & retail space on two floors. Look for an official announcement possibly at the end of February. Someone at the WSTB Forum said construction could start in March? This will bring the Bailey Power Plant Project to 200,000 square feet. Yes, the boardwalk is also included in this project and can be seen in the renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth and Main @ WSTB Forum
Notice the small cor-ten steel clad corner vendor booth, separate from the main building:

Notice the boardwalk connecting to the entertainment and retail space on the second floor:

75% of the space in this project is new construction space and only 25% is adaptive-reuse.

This will replace the latticework tower and silo on the Fourth Street side:
How the site appeared around 1929: (A now-demolished smokestack was built into Building 23-1. Notice changes to the tops of the smokestacks)

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Public Library

A look at the site as it currently appears, including the 1926 Power Plant Building: (Notice half of the 1926 building was demolished over the years)

Credit: justincamarata

A look inside the 1926 building: (A former turbine room)

Credit: tsmith.cine

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:32 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

We have several new projects in this update!

Don't sleep! Stay up late for your updates!
Video Link

Creative Corridors:
This project reminds me of the Theme Building at LAX. It's the Theme Bridge at John Gold Expressway. You can tell many of the architects working on these Creative Corridors projects are from the west coast.

The color-changing LED lights are now on at the arches - This bridge is completed:

Credit: winstonwatchman

New Aerospace Engineering Jobs:
Rockwell Collins Aerospace is moving engineering and program management operations from Tucson to their offices in Winston-Salem.

Salem Paper Mixed-use:
David Eagan, of development company CMC, has placed 1040 and 1064 Northwest Boulevard and 1149 Canal Drive under contract and would like to close at the end of next month. All three buildings are located between Hanes Park and West End Millworks. These buildings will be renovated into an adaptive-reuse project containing 100 apartments, retail, and office space. You can easily walk to the park, Hoots Brewery, and the under construction Joymongers Barrel Hall (brewery) from these buildings.

One of the three brick buildings to be purchased for the mixed-use project:

Credit: GSV

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:
An update on the office space for creative and tech companies.

Credit: smallbusinesscenterforsyth

Village Juice Expansion:
Village Juice is expanding! They have an old warehouse in downtown's Northwest Industrial District and will convert it into a massive juicing facility to make their healthy beverages. This is the same Winston-Salem-based company building the juice and poke restaurant in Twin City Lofts Condominiums.

A kombucha brewing facility and headquarters was recently built near Broad Street and now a juicing facility is starting constructing. It's great to see the growth in beverages made in downtown.

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
The Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) will open in Turbine Hall on February 22. I'm still waiting for the official completion of this project. Maybe it's February 22?

Credit: jenny.howard9

Credit: sandy_shep

Rock Box Bouldering: Built!
This downtown rock climbing facility is now completed. This was an adaptive-reuse of an old industrial building in downtown's Produce District. It is located at the intersection of Chestnut Street and Tenth Street. This is a rock climbing gym, so you do have to join. I think they have veteran and student discounts, if you're interested?

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: tewingate

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Frank L. Blum Construction was selected as the General Contractor for this project. They will soon begin preconstruction for the downtown museum.

Alternative Transportation:

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:

Demolition of the 1916 Salem Iron Works Building for a new park and an elevated bike & pedestrian path:

Credit: richardndowns

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:29 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Hotel Indigo & Hyatt Place:
Two projects in one, side-by-side, from the same developer! Hotel Indigo, an adaptive-reuse of an old Art Deco building, will be completed in Summer 2018 and Hyatt Place Hotel, a new modular ground-up construction project, will open in Spring 2019.

Construction fence and telescopic crane at Hyatt Place Hotel construction site:

Credit: vincerabil

Construction work on the roof of the Hotel Indigo:

Credit: sr.quentintinch

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

This is a project we rarely see updates for:

Credit: smburchette

WellQ Leases at Biotech Place Retail Atrium:
The newest tenant in the retail atrium at Biotech Place, in downtown's IQ District, is WellQ. WellQ is a pharmacy and healthcare office.

500 West Fifth Street:
I love seeing the inside of these tech company offices. Today, we have another look at the inside of Winston Starts startup accelerator, on the lower floors of the skyscraper.

Credit: shiftcreativeagency

Credit: Carlos Sanchez

Notice the floors and the stack of ceiling tiles:

Notice the touch screen built into the wall:

Polished concrete floors, mixed with wood floors and carpet? I like it!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:53 AM
Fourth and Main

1001:
TwinCity, at the WSTB Forum, is reporting a new mixed-use project is proposed for Winston-Salem's creative ecosystem. 1001 is an adaptive reuse project by developers Cross Street Partners and Black Pine. They will transform the former Bahnson Company Building into a space for startups, artists, makers, engineers, clothing designers, growers, restaurateurs, entrepreneurs, and retailers. CJMW will be the architect. The building will have everything from coworking spaces to a makerspace to a shared commercial kitchen to a restaurant incubator to a public radio station to a store to sell items/artwork made in the building. It's designed for collaboration among tenants. This is the building next to Old Salem's Visitor Center. This building was constructed in 1924 as an engineering and research center for the HVAC company. It was expanded several times during its first 60 years. Agnew Bahnson, Jr., opened an anti-gravity lab in the building and established the Institute of Field Physics at UNC. This Winston-Salem-based company had locations in 29 states and international locations in Australia, Belgium, England, France, Japan, Norway, Spain and South Africa. This isn't the first adaptive-reuse of this building. In 1985, this building was renovated into North Carolina's first business incubator. Baltimore-based Cross Street Partners completed several great projects in their hometown. It should be fun to see what they do with this project!

Yes, we have renderings!

Credit: Cross Street Partners

Historic photographs:

Credit: Cross Street Partners

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:14 AM

I didnt post here because I look forward to your weekly updates! I love this project and the potential it holds to attract more investment around Old Salem. The Coke Plant comes to mind and possibly a build-out of the Gateway?

I see something like this for the Skinner Warehouse as well.

Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:25 AM
Fourth and Main

I also wish Old Salem Inc., would sell or restore the Coca-Cola Building. There are so many things they could do with that building, including university classrooms for archeology, a museum, a food hall, a preservation-related startups space, and much more. I would be happy with just an exterior restoration, but it would be nice if a use was found that would allow everyone to visit it. I've heard stories of people walking past it and watching the bottling machines through the large windows, when it was still a Coca-Cola Bottling Plant. Maybe this could be the location of an Old Salem Brewery and Distillery, with Old Salem offices on the upper floor? It's right at the visitor center.

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Morris Building:
Developer Wexford Science + Technology is now in the process of purchasing the Morris Building, which is part of the Bailey Power Plant Complex. We could see a proposal for this building very soon! I remember rumors of a live music venue in this building and also rumors of a grocery store. These rumors may not be part of Wexford's plans, though?

Bailey Power Plant Building 23-1:
Developer Wexford Science + Technology is now in the process of purchasing Bailey Power Plant's Building 23-1 to construct the project seen in the rendering below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth and Main @ WSTB Forum
Building 23-1:
Aloft Hotel:
I was told they have reached an agreement with a hotel flag and are now preparing to construct this project. Construction could still be several months away.

Stevens Center Renovation:
To expand the building, they will close an alley known as Fayetteville Plank Road. The building will be expanded into the alley, allowing for a larger stage.

New Mexico artist and scientist Andrea Polli will create a public art installation on this building, called Particle Falls. It will be an animated light projection, on this high-rise, designed to reflect real-time air pollution on Fourth Street in downtown. You can view the light installation from February 22 to March 24, beginning at dusk. She will use a scientific air monitoring device, specialized computer software, and a high-powered light projector to create the display on west facade of the Stevens Center. Polli, professor of art and ecology at the University of New Mexico, describes the piece as “a large-scale public art installation that acts as a monitor, an alarm, and a thing of beauty all at the same time by using particulate air pollution as a basis for a cascading waterfall/light show flowing down the side of a building.” Volunteers will be on-site on Thursday through Saturday evenings to engage the public about the projection and inform them about more environmentally friendly transportation options available in Winston-Salem and North Carolina. There will be an Artist Talk and Panel Discussion on Friday, February 23 at 4:30 p.m., at the Milton Rhodes Center for the Arts

New Rendering:

Credit: Robert A.M. Stern Architects LLP

New Winston Museum:

Credit: chasing_fotoz

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

Credit: triadrepro

A second tower crane was installed at the site:

Credit: heedesoutheast

Second tower crane installation, on a rainy day:

Credit: __ndegwa

Credit: Ritzcraft Aerial Images

Wood frame now rising:

Credit: andrewzeidell

Happy Valentines Day:

Credit: the_sweet_truth1

500 West Fifth:
Thanks to the TBJ, we now have the official name, architects, and more on their plans. Visit the TBJ to see more photographs and the full story. The first workers will move into the building on February 19. Construction will continue until Summer 2018, with workers starting on the HVAC systems and expanding the lobby, which should be completed by Summer. A restaurant/retail space is now available, if you're interested? Contact CBRE for more details.

Lobby Renderings:

Credit: TBJ

Flow Headquarters:

16th Floor / Flow Headquarters:

Executive Floor:

It's easy to forget this building was designed by a famous architectural firm, as a blank check show project, and was featured in many industry publications, as the building of the future. The owner will preserve one of the original interior spaces, on the executive level, that is still intact. The room looks 38 years old and has an old projection screen, too. It's awesome to see the owner save it, though. I didn't expect to see any interior spaces saved and restored to their original appearance. Design from this time period is usually lost in renovations.

This original 1980 room will be preserved, with its original wood paneling, vintage projector screen, and original light fixtures:

7th Floor HVAC / Equipment Room:

Winston Starts:

Lobby Update:

Cryptocurrency Data Center:
Canada-based Routemaster Chairman, Joe Carrabba, has purchased a building and land in the Winston-Salem Metro Area and is planning a solar-powered cryptocurrency mining data center.

Gallery Lofts II:
Again, for some unknown reason, demolition has stopped at this apartment site? These photographs, from Saturday, show work is still at a stop. I didn't see any demolition equipment in a recent aerial of the site. This developer has another apartment building under construction in downtown. I'm guessing that massive apartment project is still moving forward? I haven't seen any photographs of it in over a month or two to know the current progress.

A wider view from the same area... of course the roads and sidewalks are still closed at the site:

New FinTech Jobs:
A large financial technology company, partially owned by all the major banks in the United States, is currently considering an expansion in Winston-Salem that will create jobs paying around $100,000 a year, plus benefits. Winston-Salem is competing with a site in New York City for the jobs. An incentive package was approved this week. Winston-Salem does appear to be their preferred site.

Hotel Indigo & Hyatt Place Hotel:
From this aerial, it appears as if they are grading half of the site for Hyatt Place and working on the roof of Hotel Indigo. In a recent aerial, most of the roof (at Hotel Indigo) appears to be white, so I'm guessing most of the roof work is completed?

Hotel Indigo is now hiring for the positions of General Manager and Director of Sales, if you're interested. Yes, this project we are following on the forum! You could work there.

An aerial view of the work on both hotels:

Credit: mostlyghostlysigns

A look at the former department store's storage area:

Credit: bvrtholomew

Passageway Park:

Credit: tucker_smith01

Credit: tucker_smith01

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

Credit: zinkzr

You can see the future light rail line along the path:

Credit: Mitchell Loll

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:59 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Today's post seems more like a bar / live music venue / brewery update!

Video Link

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
We finally have a good construction update on this new brewery! For those who don't remember, this is the renovation of a 1928 building, that was originally a GMC Truck Dealership, into a barrel-aged brewery. The owners of the new brewery are calling this building "The Alamo" for it's design. Winston-Salem has a good number of Spanish Colonial Revival style buildings and houses, due to outside investment in the city. It's a very unusual architectural style in North Carolina. I'm guessing Lawrence Hospital, in downtown, was the largest Spanish Colonial Revival building in Winston-Salem? That is just a guess, though.

Credit: Joymongers Barrel Hall

"The finished bar at the Barrel Hall will feature five different species of wood and, at its total length equals almost two downs of a football field"

Incendiary Brewing Company:
Downtown Winston-Salem's newest brewery applied for construction permits last week at Bailey Power Plant. Work could begin next month. According to smain at the WSTB Forum, the brewery may also have wood-fired pizza. The labels for their beer will be amazing! It's expected to open this summer.

Ramkat Art & Music Venue:
Construction update on this lounge and live music venue.

The bar:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Bowman Gray Medical Education Building:
The School of Medicine, in downtown's IQ District, won two Baltimore AIA awards. The 2017 Excellence in Design Award and the 2017 Award for Excellence in Sustainable and Resilient Design.

A concrete truck driver shares his view of the construction site!

Video Link

Footnote:
This cafe/bar/conference center project is almost completed and they are very close to opening! If you're wanting a scotch or craft beer while you read your favorite book, Footnote is almost here! If you're looking for a fun place with a bar to hold your next event, this could be it!

Credit: wilsoncovington

The barrel bar:

Bookmarks Bookstore is on the other side of the glass: (Footnote is also the bar & cafe for the bookstore next door)

901 North Trade Building:
A restaurant has leased space in this adaptive-reuse project. The restaurant is named Earl's and it should move the project forward.

500 West Fifth:
These photographs are old. They are from late-December 2017, but they are new to us. They show Flow's new headquarters, which will be officially completed on Monday.

Credit: bethwmeadows

Credit: dancefitgrl

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:05 AM
Fourth and Main

I want to thank the photographers and businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

This project is finally completed and now we wait for the official announcement for the next phase. I've already posted details on the next phase in this thread: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...&postcount=421

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex) Built!
The first of Bailey Power Plant's three phases is now completed. Incendiary Brewing Company is now applying for permits in this building and will open in June or July. Pharmaceutical development company EncepHeal is the newest office tenant announced at Building 23-2. This first phase of the power plant has 111,479 square feet of space and we should hear additional tenant announcements, soon. The second floor is home to Cambridge Innovation Center's Turbine Hall and Venture Cafe, where you will find 15 fully-furnished private offices and 8 suites for startups, as well as a large 6,300 square foot conference center (you can rent this). CML Microsystems, PLC., of London, has already moved their North American headquarters to this building and you will see part of their offices, below. At Bailey Power Plant Building 23-2's grand opening, Preservation NC said downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is the largest historic redevelopment project in North Carolina and is among the nation's largest historic redevelopments for an Innovation District. Thomas Osha of Baltimore-based Wexford Science + Technology, the developer and owner of the power plant project, said "I’ve been to 11 innovation districts in the past 20 days, and Winston-Salem is being recognized, being talked about. It’s forming alignments and partnerships"

As you know, I love seeing these tech company office spaces! Prepare yourself for a photography grand finale, to celebrate the completion of this project! This is the adaptive-reuse of a former coal-fired power plant, in downtown's IQ District, into tech company office space, Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) space, conference space, and retail/restaurant/entertainment space.

Workers finish the color-changing LEDs on the smokestacks:

Credit: synapse_designs

Credit: synapse_designs

Credit: mariahhydzik

Finishing carpet work:

Credit: keaganpope

Credit: keaganpope

1960s? view of Bailey Power Plant:

The Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) Space (Coworking Space / Venture Cafe / Conference Space):

Credit: nataliej_morgan

Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) bills itself as a "community of entrepreneurs".

Credit: taylor_ghost_

View of Bailey Park and Wake Forest University School of Medicine from Cambridge Innovation Center at Bailey Power Plant:

Credit: Katie Neal

Credit: innovationquarter

Credit: DWSP

Credit: Wexford Science + Technology

Credit: Dr. Eric Tomlinson

They did a great job on the design at Turbine Hall:

Credit: cjmw_architecture

Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) Space:

CML Microsystems North American Headquarters:

Preserved artwork from a former power plant worker:

Credit: doble_carrigan5

Preserving the original industrial feel of the steel columns:

Credit: doble_carrigan5

Innovations Headquarters: (They help businesses & institutions commercialize ideas)

Credit: dsgnr2obx

Privacy Booths:

Elevators:

Credit: trickerjoe

Credit: heyitspaul00

The topping-out flag was moved here by the construction workers:

Credit: algenoncash

New apartment and retail building (Link Apartments Innovation Quarter), under construction, across the street:

Credit: lifeofchaux

Credit: loganbarbour

Credit: 1chrisray99

NOTE: We may continue to follow construction of Incendiary Brewing Company as a separate project on this thread. Incendiary Brewing Company is a new brewery about to start interior upfit/construction on the ground floor of this completed building.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:09 PM

Great Update!

Thanks for posting these. Downtown W-S is really coming alive. W-S has so much potential and it seems as if it's hitting critical mass.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:14 AM
Fourth and Main

Twin City Lofts Condominiums: Built!
This project is now completed. Residential tenants have moved-in and the first retail tenants are now moving-in. This is the adaptive-reuse of the old Twin City Club Building into "for-sale" condominiums and three retail spaces. Due to terrain, the retail spaces are accessed on Fourth Street. This building was built in 1913 and expanded and reclad in the 1950s, expanding it to the street on the north end and expanding it to the south. The renovation and expansion gave the building a mostly windowless mid-century modern design. To convert the building into retail and condominiums, the building was mostly reclad, to add windows, and the retail space was rebuilt.

Credit: Twin City Lofts

This is a lobby for guests of the condominium owners:

Three retail spaces (You can see the terrain issue / why the retail is only accessed on Fourth Street):

Credit: emsrunninmo

A view from 1968, showing the 1950s mid-century modern renovation of the Twin City Building:

Credit: WSTB

Yes, those are rowhouses (above), built in 1909. They were demolished and Winston Square Park is at the site today. You can find rowhouses in Winston-Salem.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:51 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

A rainy late-night is a great time for an update:
Video Link

Footnote: Built!
Footnote is completed and open. If you want a drink while you're at Bookmarks Bookstore, be sure to visit Footnote. If you're in Bookmarks Bookstore, it's on the other side of the glass wall. If you're trying to find it: You'll find it in a downtown laneway/alley, behind Design Archives. On Fourth Street, look for the breezeway beside Design Archives. You can also rent their meeting space for events.

Glass wall separating Bookmarks Bookstore from Footnote:

Credit: bookmarksnc

Credit: Foothills Brewing

First customers:

Credit: Foothills Brewing

Yes, it's open and it's in the laneway/alley between Third and Fourth streets! I love that laneway of "hidden" businesses. I would like to see more laneways/alleys in downtown transformed like this.

Credit: brewingws

Forsyth County Courthouse:
Native Camel @ WSTB Forum posted an update for this project. County Commissioners have secured the location, will use limited obligation bonds, and are now in the process of selecting an architect and general contractor. Last week, the 10-member selection committee narrowed the list of architecture firms to three for interviews and expect to select the architect within the next two months. A general contractor should be selected by early-July. Design will require 15-18 months and construction is expected to require two years, setting completion for Fall 2021. The Forsyth County Bar said "The new courthouse promises to be an imposing structure that will change the skyline, face and tone of downtown Winston-Salem for decades to come. It will make a statement about who we are."

500 West Fifth:

The Flow Headquarters is now open and filled with employees:

Credit: colettejd

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Credit: michaeldarrenstory

Lowes Foods Grocery Store in Downtown:
Tim Lowe, CEO of Winston-Salem-based Lowes Foods, has confirmed the grocery store is looking at downtown locations. This was said after Kroger's Harris Teeter grocery store chain (Kroger operates as Harris Teeter in Western North Carolina) was confirmed as very close to leasing a space on Liberty Street (close to Liberty & Fifth streets) in downtown's Arts District. The question is: Will Lowes Foods wait too long to enter downtown? All of their competitors are looking at downtown.

A look at the Particle Falls art display:

Credit: penny.converse

An update on this lounge and live music venue.

Credit: scrubpineband

Light fixture:

Credit: theramkat

Art in the music venue:

Credit: thatguydoub

The southern end of this project is now on the third floor. It's moving quickly on the southern end of the project.

Both tower cranes:

Credit: cstevebeck

Both tower cranes and wood frame progress:

Credit: dann.nnyy

Third floor: (The Coal Pit has found a use as a skate park)

Credit: slaughter_film

State Superintendent Mark Johnson and State University System President Margaret Spellings in downtown's IQ District (See wood frame through the windows):

Credit: Mark Johnson

City Bike Plan:
The city is holding meetings with cyclists before creating an updated bike plan. The city is planning to create 20 miles of bike lanes this year. A city councilman also spoke of a bond on the ballot, in November, for more cycling improvements, such as concrete curbs separating cyclists from cars and colored asphalt.

Credit: harperclark

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 7:06 AM
Fourth and Main

116 West Fourth Apartments:
Renderings were released, showing what the new 9-storey apartment building will look like. The renderings also include our first look at the new Hyatt Place Hotel & Offices and you can see the new park, built to hide half of an underground parking deck. Yes, the parking for this apartment building, bank office, and the two hotels is under the buildings and public park. Underground parking is always awesome! All of the new buildings appear to have ground-level retail/restaurants and rooftop amenity levels. You will also notice a pedestrian alley/laneway in the middle of the site, between the three buildings, connecting Liberty Street to the public park. The architect is archSTUDIO7 and the developer is Mayfair Street Partners. Workers are currently grading the site in preparation for this building. A crawler crane is at the site and they have excavated part of the site. Since the parking is under the buildings and park space, they will have to build the underground parking first and construct it to build above it. Since Hotel Indigo is opening in possibly 5-6 months, they will have to build the underground parking and foundations for these two new buildings before then?

Early rendering of the project:

Finished rendering of the project:

The ground floor is recessed, to allow for a "park area" at the entrance:

Grading has started for the new 9-storey apartment building:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:21 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Hyatt Place Hotel:
American Foundations & Shoring is on the site with deep foundation equipment. This 9-storey project is set for completion in Spring 2019. This project also had a design change. It is a hotel with office space and retail. The building features a rooftop amenity floor and parking under the building. The building height, measured from Third Street, does include a parking level visible from Third Street and a top floor amenity level.

This shows the ventilation system for the parking under the buildings and also under the park:

Work at the site:

Credit: triadrepro

Credit: espinalhomes

Credit: Keith Hall

Merschel Plaza Park:
Official rendering for Merschel Plaza (formerly Civic Plaza). Half of the park will be constructed above an underground parking deck. The parking deck is for the hotels, offices, and apartment residents only. No public parking will be offered.

Downtown Marriott Renovation:
We have new renderings of the lobby. The renderings are dated February 26. Completion is scheduled for September 2018. However, the guest rooms will be completed by July. The lobby will take longer to complete. The lobby will have wood, leather, and bronze accents. Also, look for social areas, work stations, new HVAC, a new restaurant, a new M Club Lounge, an expanded fitness club with an outdoor patio, and this will be combined with completely renovated guest rooms with designs inspired by the surrounding mountain region.

Lobby renderings:

Credit: Twin City Quarter

Credit: wardw11

This is a popular photography angle:

Credit: ericwarner910

Ambulatory Surgical Center:

No visible progress... (it's the fenced-in area, to the far right)

Credit: llliilliillliilll

An update on the artwork at this live music venue and lounge. The Ramkat will host local & national touring music acts and art performances. It's also a bar you can visit.

Credit: hieronymu.s

Elevator Lobby:

Gallery Lofts II:
This developer's other project is still moving forward. This project... I'm not sure?

Notice how thick the walls are (load bearing):

500 West Fifth:

With office workers moving into parts of the building, we are now seeing views from inside:

Credit: maranda_lea

Credit: oxenfreeoriginals

Furniture in Winston Starts:

Credit: 500west5th

Efird Block Restoration:
The developer removed the metal cladding from 609 North Liberty. The building still has its original top floor windows and its original transom windows. Liberty Street is seeing an amazing transformation. It's great to see work starting on this restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity @ WSTB Forum
Hotel Indigo:
Work has now started on the underground parking, stair tower and back-of-house structure.

Credit: brittanybutterworthphoto

Notice the markings for the stair tower and back-of-house structure and three new openings cut into the parapet:

Deep foundation piles for Hyatt Place Hotel underground parking and Hotel Indigo stair tower:

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
The new brewery recently installed a rare Mighty Mouse sculpture, hanging from the ceiling. "This piece of pop culture is one of only three of this large Mighty Mouse structure that exists, and the only one in good condition, so we’re so excited that it will hang at the Barrel Hall in Winston-Salem." Construction will be completed on the new brewery this month!

Hanging Mighty Mouse Sculpture from the ceiling:

Credit: brianchristopherjones

Rare Mighty Mouse Sculpture:

Credit: joymongersbarrelhall

Beer Garden Tables:

Credit: joymongersbarrelhall

Light fixture:

Credit: joymongersbeer

Bridge over Fifth Street:

Credit: blairgregory

Credit: winston_360

Credit: stanielkeyinc

Credit: stanielkeyinc

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

I see snow in the forecast for this weekend in Winston-Salem. Stay warm! Maybe look at Winston-Salem construction updates...

Video Link

500 West Fifth:
As you know, I like seeing these tech company offices.

Rendering for the Winston Starts Cafe:

Credit: monaart

Furniture: (Beautiful work from Sherwood Woodcraft!)

Credit: sherwood.woodcraft

A better view of the nice tables, previously posted:

Credit: alecgrossman

It's the blue-grey building on the right-center side:

Credit: alecgrossman

Our favorite view: (Do I see work starting on the 4th floor?)

Credit: autumnlynnmeachum

The southern end is progressing quickly, but work is just starting on the northern end:

Credit: whg423

This could be an older view (Valentines Day lights on the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel)?

Credit: cstevebeck

Low-light early morning view of the cranes from the John Gold Expressway (I-285):

Credit: supportourtruckers

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:

Credit: flysmithreynolds

It has become difficult to find any updates on this project. I'm not sure if it's completed or not? I'm guessing it's still under construction? This is an upscale grocery store and deli with tech company offices.

Credit: Elevation

Credit: hammerhead_built

Ramkat Art & Music Venue: Built!
This project is now completed. Visit tonight, to see the first show! It has four bars, including Gas Hill Drinking Room at Eighth and Trade streets. Gas Hill is the only bar at The Ramkat open when the live music venue doesn't have any arts or music acts on stage. The other three bars are only open for performances on the large main stage. The Ramkat will book all types of music, including bands/performers from other countries. The live music venue has new lighting and sound and they have brought in great companies and people to create the perfect place to see your favorite band.

Finishing art at The Ramkat:

Coasters & napkins for Gas Hill Drinking Room at The Ramkat:

Credit: curatednc

1794 Boys' School Restoration: Built!
I think this project is now completed? It looks completed and I don't see any workers around it?

Credit: bonjourkate

The O'Hanlon: Built!
I don't see any contractor signs in the windows, so I think this project is now completed?

Credit: tewingate

As you can see, the rail line is preserved and the bike & pedestrian project was designed for future light rail (LRT) transit:

Credit: julibee.0127

This one segment of the proposed light rail line will be completed in the spring. Yes, you can see an actual completed segment of light rail in downtown Winston-Salem! Now, we need to complete the other segments from downtown's IQ District to the airport and buy the rolling stock (light rail train).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 12:59 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Happy Pi Day! Yes, it did snow in Winston-Salem (3rd measurable snowfall of this Winter):

Credit: ryandonov4n

Credit: gdhuffman

Video Link

Working on the 4th floor:

Credit: lochiying

Credit: lochiying

Crane view from John Gold Expressway (Interstate 285):

Credit: sajjad.hossain34

The Exchange at Oak Street:
This condominium building has a new name! It's now The Exchange at Oak Street. Workers removed the apartment signage, as they prepare to convert the building to condominiums. A model unit is now completed. Usually, when an apartment building is converted to condominiums, they are expensive. These start at only $150,000! I'm guessing that is a one bedroom condo, but still... that is affordable. Keep in mind: This is on the far north end of downtown. An area that is just beginning its transformation. The cyclocross facility, The Ramkat, and Wise Man Brewing are recently completed projects, discussed in this thread, near this building. 901 North Trade is a project about to start, just a short walk away. I think they are trying to change the name of the neighborhood from Produce District to Industry Hill? I guess Industry Hill sounds more attractive to hipsters? It should be interesting to watch this neighborhood transform from your front door. If you would like to attend the launch party, you need to RSVP: (336) 749-3992.

Credit: stevenmontgomeryrealtor

Workers use a crane to remove the old signage: (They said the sign was made from aluminum)

Credit: carolina_signs

Signs removed, as workers prepare to convert the building to condominiums:

Credit: carolina_signs

West End Station:
Do you remember this large downtown apartment project? I don't think we've seen any updates on it in months!

Credit: bluedeviltodd

Logo for the upscale grocery store & bistro:

Credit: Canteen Market & Bistro

An aerial view of the upscale grocery store and tech company office space project:

Notice the white area on the grey wall:

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:

Painting lines on the apron islands:

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Joymongers Barrel Hall: Built!
Winston-Salem's newest brewery opened last weekend! They currently have 17 beers on tap. This was the adaptive-reuse of a Spanish Colonial Revival GMC Truck dealership from 1928 into a barrel-aged brewery.

Credit: virchowous

Commercial GMC trucks, like this example, were originally sold and repaired in this building when it opened in 1928:

Credit: Fiveprime

Credit: jarred.gomez

Credit: x1communications

Credit: splurgedesign

This brewery is just starting construction, in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, so we have another brewery's construction to follow! Their tanks have recently arrived.

Credit: incendiarybrew

Credit: incendiarybrew

Rainbow Road : I don't see anything blocking use of this path, but completion is still a few weeks away:

Credit: liveanimate

Credit: theofficialyoungreid

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:30 AM
Fourth and Main

Due to tonight's severe weather, where I live, I'm posting this early. I can hear the thunder as I type this.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I say it every week, because it's true. Thank you, again, to those who share photographs and allow us to view them on this thread.

Video Link

1815 John Blum House Restoration:

Credit: oldsaleminc

Gallery Lofts II:
Again, it does appear as if work has stopped on this project? Their other project, shown below this project, is still moving forward. I'm not sure why they stopped in the middle of demolition on this project?

Credit: Dominic Gray

West End Station:
This is the other apartment building being developed by the developer of the project above. As you can see, they are moving forward with this apartment building. Thank you to CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum for sharing an update. I only posted some of the photographs shared. To see all of them, visit WSTB and thank the photographer for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum

EGGER North American Headquarters:
Ground was broken, last week, on EGGER's $700 million North American headquarters. The new headquarters will create 770 new jobs and includes a showroom and training center. Completion for the office building is set for First Quarter 2019. A second phase of this project will break ground at the end of this year and will open in 2020. This is a massive multi-phase project and is ranked among the state's largest economic development projects.

Winston Tower Amenity Space: Built!
This project is now completed. It's on the 12th floor of Winston Tower and open to all tenants of the 30-storey skyscraper.

Credit: asphalt_blue

Hotel Indigo:
Workers are now cutting the larger window openings into the south facade and cutting the door openings for the stair tower and back-of-house addition.

Workers have cut a door opening to the kitchen's back-of-house addition, as work begins on the addition:

The Exchange at Oak Street:
A look at the model condominium.

Credit: jonheardrealestate

Credit: jonheardrealestate

Credit: mariakazakos

This is the temporary art projection on the building, explained in detail. It's also a video for those who live outside the city and can't see it.

Video Link

The views from Winston-Salem's new High Line project.

Credit: justinreich

You can see Link Apartments Innovation Quarter's construction in this view:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 5:47 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Spring in Winston-Salem... Yes, snow.

Credit: bucktu

More snow is forecast for today and tomorrow in Winston-Salem.

Video Link

Census:
Developers of the tech space in downtown have told the city to expect higher population growth and we are now seeing this. The number of people moving from other states to Forsyth County (The county Winston-Salem is located in) in 2017 is twice that of 2015. The growth of Forsyth County was similar to the growth of Durham County, in the fast growing Raleigh-Durham area. It's fun seeing the impact of the tech boom in downtown Winston-Salem. The tech boom continues!

500 West Fifth:
Winston Starts startup accelerator is completed and now open. Work moves to the lobby and 7th floor.

This space looks great! As you know, I like seeing these tech company office spaces:

Credit: monaart

110 South Broad Street:
This project is now pulling permits to start grading. The general contractor for this project will be CIP Construction Company.

Hotel Indigo:

Winston Junction:
The project at 901 North Trade Street finally has a name! It's called Winston Junction.

They are working on the fourth floor, in the background:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

A better view:

Credit: blakes20_usmc

325 North Broad Street:
Remember this project? We could hear something, soon, from this project! It could be different from what we have previously discussed on the forums? It's now being called a residential development? I guess we shall see when the project is officially announced.

West End Station:

They work in the snow:

Credit: santaku47

3D Printing Lab: Built!
This project opened in December 2017. Yes, I'm looking through our list of projects to see what is completed; so expect a larger number of completed projects in this update.

Mixxer Makerspace: Built!
This adaptive-reuse of a downtown industrial building into a makerspace is now completed! It was completed two months ago. If you would like to join, visit their building and ask about memberships. It's located across the railroad tracks from Wise Man Brewing in downtown.

Credit: Mixxer

Credit: Mixxer

BB&T Sports Park Expansion: Built!
This appears to be completed? If it's not, let me know and I'll add it back to our list of construction projects.

DCCC Health Sciences Building:
Completion of this project is now scheduled for Summer 2018. The photograph below appears to be from February 2, 2018? I think it is our first photograph update for this project. Little Diversified is the architect.

Credit: http://www.jrvannoy.com

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
Hotel Equities will operate the new downtown Courtyard by Marriott hotel, on Fourth Street's Restaurant Row. The start of construction was delayed. We should see foundation work start, soon. Completion is now proposed for Fall 2019.

New Live Music Venue:
Los Angeles based Wade Co Design is working on a live music venue in downtown Winston-Salem. Wade Co Design has worked on several impressive restaurants, celebrity houses, entertainment venues, bars, and other projects in Los Angeles. It's great to see them working on a project in downtown Winston-Salem. You can read about Wade Co Design at this website: http://www.losangelesarchitects.org/...les/#more-2330

Credit: wadecodesign

1001:
Still waiting for the start of construction.

Credit: kobiekaptures

Credit: micahbrownmedia

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:39 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

This Week: A big apartment update!

Video Link

An update on this tech company office building with an upscale grocery store & bistro.

Installing the bar, made from Ash, in the upscale grocery store and bistro:

New Building at Union Cross:
I think this is our first update on this project? It's always awesome to see these trucks at a site and I thank Chandler for sharing updates!

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

Workers are now installing the brick cladding.

Cladding the structure in brick:

Credit: swindygate

Salem Paper Mixed-use:
The developer has purchased the property. They may name this project for Canal Drive?

Wise Man Brewing Solar Panels:
Remember the solar project at Wise Man Brewing that appeared in news sites across the state? It's still under construction and we have our first update on the project!

Credit: renuenergysolutions

West End Station:
A really good update on this apartment building with underground parking.

Credit: stageyourhousetriadnc

Credit: stageyourhousetriadnc

Link Apartments 4th Street:
The developer is now pulling permits to start construction on this apartment building with retail and underground parking. Samet Corporation is the General Contractor. We could soon have two Link-branded apartment buildings under construction at the same time!

The architect, BB+M Architecture, shared an awesome update on this apartment building with retail. As you can see, the eastern side is still two-storeys behind the other sides. This is the part of the building that will rise to the height of a seven-storey building, with an eight-storey tower above the entrance. The color-changing LED crown should be a great addition to the building.

Credit: stuntz.co

Credit: bbm_arch

This project will officially be completed on April 11 at 11 a.m.,. Visit the completed project (on April 11), during your lunch break, for food trucks, live music, and health-related activities.

Credit: WFMY TV-2

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 12:15 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Weather forecasters are calling for snow, again, in Winston-Salem on Saturday!

Do you love Winston-Salem? You're in the right place!
Video Link

418 North Marshall Street:
This space could change its name to The Sentinel Commons?

Restored skylights (frosted glass will allow light into the space, while hiding the HVAC units from view):

Credit: lambert_architecture

Fifth & Marshall Apartments:
This site was sold to the developer of 500 West 5th and the Link Apartments 4th Street. I'm guessing Grubb Properties will develop this site with another massive apartment building with retail? Just a guess, based on the buyer's current project. We will have to wait and see what happens, since nothing is officially announced at this time. It was previously said this site would become apartments.

Reynolds Athletic Complex: Built!
Remember this project, renovating an old building into a modern athletic complex? It's now completed!

Credit: WFU

Credit: WFU

I like the architectural lighting on the exterior:

Credit: ericlvaughn

500 West Fifth:

We haven't seen these signs at the entrance to Winston Starts startup accelerator:

Forsyth County Courthouse:
CJMW was selected as the architect for the new Courthouse. They also purchased the small property on the back side of the site.

Hotel Indigo:

Larger window openings cut into the south facade:

Drywall installation:

Credit: DWSPguy

Yes, people are using it while it's still under construction! Completion is set for a week from today. The path has no advertising, but the buildings along the path do have doors leading directly to the trail and many also have bike ramps to the trail and lockers with showers for cyclists on the trail. The buildings along the trail contain offices, classrooms, and residences. I think that will make this high line project a success. We are already seeing it!

im
Credit: lovemereds

It appears to have two paths (upper path and lower path) in this photograph:

Credit: doug_burke_photography

Credit: destructived

The rail line is owned by the regional transportation authority and will become a future light rail transit (LRT) line:

Credit: alpha.mayga

This small segment of the light rail transit (LRT) line to the airport is completed:

Credit: alpha.mayga

Notice the granite marker, showing the bridge is crossing East Fourth Street. This visitor was very impressed by the under-construction bike and walking path:

Credit: lovemereds

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

This week: We have breaking news on the rail transit line in downtown's IQ District and a new city park with a massive mural! We are moving closer to having rail transit in Winston-Salem!

Video Link

Future City Park & River Otter Mural:
Mural artist Daas, from Japan, will create a 50 foot tall (15.25 metres tall) and 270 foot wide (82.3 metres wide) mural as the centerpiece of a future city park. This is a highly visible site for people traveling into downtown from the south. Daas has recently completed murals in China and Portugal.

While the park is still in design, we can follow work on the mural.

Placement markings from the artist:

Would you like to name a building on Winston-Salem's skyline? This is now possible, if you donate $10 million to UNCSA for the Stevens Center Renovation. Think how often you hear the name "Stevens Center." It could be your name or your company's name spoken that many times and connected to art events in the city! The famous artists on that stage could say your name and have your name on their list of tour dates. If I had $10 million I could donate, I could change the name of The Stevens Center to The Matthew DuMont Center for the Arts and look for my building on the skyline. I could see my name in lights on a 1920s-style reproduction blade sign on the building. (...checking my pockets for money) Sadly, I don't have $10 million to make that happen. However, you or your business may have $10 million or more to donate and change the name of the Stevens Center to your name, a family member's name, or your business' name. Contact UNCSA about this opportunity and the major renovations can begin. You could play a major part in the transformation of this historic building and see your name on it!

This is the part of the power plant where the brewery will open:

Credit: jasonwilliams_ws

West End Station:
An update on this large apartment project, taken at the state's largest food truck festival:

Link Apartments 4th Street:
As permits are filed, we have learned this will be a 224-unit apartment development. We can see they have increased the number of apartments and increased the amount of retail space in this project.

Hotel Indigo:

This photograph is a few weeks old, but we can see inside the larger window openings in this image:

Credit: tim_hutch

Work is now starting on the fifth floor (as of Wednesday):

Credit: sidneyhunterdesignco

A great update from the WSTB Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum
Work has started on wood framing on the eastern side: (This was a poetry slam & spoken word event on Sunday... awesome!)

Credit: soldendswithd

News is breaking, right now, on the rail line. The development team behind downtown's IQ District, several universities, and the development team behind Whitaker Park would like to see rail transit in place along this route and are asking for a study. If the city votes yes, it will spend $50,000 to create the study for the rail line. The NC DOT will donate the rail line (valued at roughly $7 million) to the city, which will count as the city's 20% match for any federal transportation funds. Yes, little or no city money involved and most of the track is already in place! This rail transit line will have dedicated right-of-way (ROW) and run North-South from Wake Forest University and Whitaker Park to Winston-Salem State University and Salem College and pass-through downtown's IQ District and the LJVM Sports Complex area. Cost estimates are currently at $35-40 million for this rail transit service. As I've said before: They have already completed all of the updates for this (posted below) section of the rail line, through downtown's IQ District, so part of this project is ready-to-go right now! I'll try to make a post, showing some of the rail information, in a few days. This is breaking as of yesterday, so we need to see all the details. Yes, RAIL TRANSIT on dedicated ROW in Winston-Salem! EXCITING! Keep in mind: The walking and bike path will open tomorrow at 11 a.m.,.

View from Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: uroplatus

you can see the rail line to be used for a proposed rail transit system on the far left:

Credit: innovationquarterymca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations