HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Trinity Commons in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There's nothing inherently unoriginal about a glass box. There's also no reason to think a glass box is "indifferent to streetscape, cityscape, and city history". If you want a Disneyland city, visit Colonial Williamsburg.

IF you personally don't like moderism, that's fine. But don't confuse your architectural biases with some larger truisms about architectural originality. And 95% of Manhattan isn't "glass boxes", so I don't get how something relatively rare can be defined as unoriginal.

But this building isn't even going to be a glass box; they hired a boring historicist architectural firm.
The celebration by some of anything new in New York is exhausting. Because "95% of Manhattan isnt glass boxes" does not make this building intrinsically unique. Compared to the average new development in New York it is stoically average.

I wont hide my disdain for modernism, which I see as the devolution of architecture, but I can accept it in the right context in the right place. This building, in its location calls for contextualism. Anything else is indifference.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
The celebration by some of anything new in New York is exhausting. Because "95% of Manhattan isnt glass boxes" does not make this building intrinsically unique. Compared to the average new development in New York it is stoically average.
First, no rendering has been released, so unless you have no inside information, you're talking nonsense.

Second, you claimed that whatever would be built here was inherently bad "because it was a glass box". In other words, you have a specific bias against an architectural style. That's fine, of course, but you're confusing your biases with some architectural truism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
I wont hide my disdain for modernism, which I see as the devolution of architecture, but I can accept it in the right context in the right place. This building, in its location calls for contextualism. Anything else is indifference.
Again, there is no reason modernism cannot be contextualism. There is no reason a "glass box" cannot be contextualism. IMO you just have a bias against modernism.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:58 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...artment-towers

Trinity to erect apartment towers
The Episcopal church's lucrative property arm makes a big new bet on residential real estate

BY DANIEL GEIGER
NOVEMBER 3, 2014

Quote:
For just over three centuries, Trinity Church has cautiously managed the 215 acres of downtown Manhattan it received from Britain's Queen Anne, turning it from productive farmland
to industrial and office space.

In the next few weeks, the Episcopal church—whose property arm, Trinity Real Estate, oversees the 5.5 million square feet of office buildings it owns on the western fringe
of SoHo in an area called Hudson Square—will try something new. It will venture into the high-stakes game of residential development.

.....Trinity's first step will come before the year-end, when it selects a partner to help rebuild its 25-story headquarters on Trinity Place. The building is across the street from
Trinity's landmark church and linked to its famous cemetery—the final resting place of Alexander Hamilton, among others—via a pedestrian bridge. Work converting the
office building to a sleek, 44-story Pelli Clarke Pelli-designed tower, topped by luxury residences, will begin next year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 9:30 PM

Trinity Church files demolition plans for FiDi tower project

Early rendering of 68-74 Trinity Place (Credit: Pelli Clarke Pelli) and existing buildings

Quote:
Despite criticism from Community Board 1, plans for a 46-story, mixed-use Financial District tower in October, Trinity Real Estate is moving ahead with the project. The Jason Pizer-led real estate arm of the Episcopal Trinity Church filed a demolition permit application to raze two properties on the site.

A six-story building at 68 Trinity Place and a 25-story building at 74 Trinity Place would be demolished to make way for the new residential and office tower spanning roughly 300,000 square feet. Trinity tapped architecture firm Pelli Clarke Pelli to design the tower last year, as previously reported. A developer has not yet been selected.

“What was turned down, as anticipated at the time, was a building plan that did not meet required rear yard setback requirements,” a Trinity spokesperson told the New York Observer. “That denial then allowed Trinity to the start the process of going to [city’s Board of Standards and Appeals] to seek a variance from those requirements to create a more efficient building. The request for that variance was supported by [Community Board 1].”

Community Board 1 had criticized the design for looking out of place among its surroundings. - See more at: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/12/....opf6atfa.dpuf

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 10:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Interesting.

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/1...trinity-place/

Trinity Church Seeks Demolition Permit at 68-74 Trinity Place

BY LAUREN ELKIES SCHRAM
12/26/14

Quote:
A few months after ground was supposed to be broken at 68-74 Trinity Place, Trinity Church has filed a demolition permit application with the city’s Department of Buildings, according to agency records.

The demo permit application is pending, according to a DOB spokesman, and the church’s application for a new 40-plus-story residential and office tower was disapproved on Oct. 10.

“What was turned down, as anticipated at the time, was a building plan that did not meet required rear yard setback requirements,” a spokesman for Trinity emailed Commercial Observer. “That denial then allowed Trinity to the start the process of going to [city’s Board of Standards and Appeals] to seek a variance from those requirements to create a more efficient building. The request for that variance was supported by [Community Board 1].”

The property contains a through lot between Trinity Place and Greenwich Street as well as two irregularly shaped interior lot portions, for which the zoning resolution would require the provision of rear yards with a depth of 20 feet, the CB1 resolution noted. On Nov. 20, the board recommended that BSA grant the variance in order for Trinity Church to develop the parish hall and residential tower, which would reduce the building to 46 stories from 48.

Pelli Clarke Pelli is designing the new building, on a site the church has owned for at least 75 years. The residential portion will be “developed by a third party that would also construct the core and shell of the residential development, which would subsidize the construction of the Parish House,” the CB1 resolution notes. Trinity Church hasn’t yet selected that developer.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Disregard earlier post. It was meant for 151-169 Maiden Lane . (The axonometric blueprints).

* 44 Floors for this tower.
* 499 ft

Last edited by chris08876; Dec 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:35 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Getting ready for Demo.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

What a waste

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:13 PM

R.I.P. Gotham.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Incredible....we already lost the Singer but,at least,the U.S.Steel is a good building!
In that case....oh my gosh..i wanna cry..

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
R.I.P. Gotham.
I'd prefer to keep this, but Manhattan has numerous areas that consist of oceans of contiguous, stunning old buildings. RIP is inapplicable .

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:52 AM
Fake News

Dear Lord how can they destroy such a beautiful building?!? I just visited NYC a week and a half ago and honestly the most interesting buildings in that area of Manhattan were the old ones like this. What a shame. I'd kill to have buildings like this to knock down where I'm from...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:09 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

they tear down this deco beauty, and build this type of crap:

Amazing...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:39 AM

a 500 foot glass box ! . . BEELZEBUB ! . . There's already 200 of those in town . .
It's the very last thing NYC needs to be built ANYWHERE in Manhattan.

Nothin' against Modernism . . "the wedge"(London) - Gehry (West Side Highway) -"Verre" - that iceberg on Park Ave So. - there are a thousand I like . .
But our collective tolerance for even one more mediocre-height - cheap glassy box -
with a gassy design rationale for prestigious banality . . is sad . . .
Well perhaps just one more glassy gassy box . . . We do need some contrast -
along the drab - too-much brick - unified-bulk 7th Ave. fashion-district corridor . . .

Old Carved Stone Buildings have a charming warmth - craftsmanship -
a cozy sometimes impressive distinctiveness . .
especially when they're polished up - relit - accessorized - upgraded . .
with expertise and even finer materials . . a timeless sense of well being can happen . .
especially in the oldest part of town . .

NYC has been the Empire City a very long and lustrous time . . . Most of the
world's finest buildings in the 1800s through the 20th century were built in NYC . . .
In the 21st century - not so much . .
Unfortunately few boxy glass buildings aspire to any sort of greatness or humanity . .
Most are built to save & then to make money . . Nothing wrong with making money . .
But No you may NOT take a massive dump in our town and call it luxurious.

I'm surprised that Historical Old-Moneyed Trinity isn't going with Traditional stone . .
or a renovation with a quality retro-looking height bump . . .
Their 500 foot glass box will look tawdry compared to taller better designed
50 West St. - 99 Church & 125 Greenwich . .
So I'm sure they'll change it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:11 AM

wow - apologies . . . it's late . . . Guess I'm pretty gaseous myself . . .
It is hard to know how much you've written . . writing in such a small box . .
and my keyboard comma doesn't work . . .
and furthermore . . . I'll stop fulminating now . . .
happy buildings ! . .

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:56 AM

Here are some really great photos of the building

https://www.flickr.com/photos/leeloo...7635552391685/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 4:47 PM

Demolition Making Rapid Progress At 68-74 Trinity Place, Financial District

NIKOLAI FEDAK
JULY 27, 2015

Quote:
The Financial District’s rapid transformation from an office to a residential neighborhood has been immensely beneficial to Lower Manhattan, and the area’s recent boom has been mostly free of architectural casualties. But that’s about to change thanks to demolition beginning on the old vestry at 68-74 Trinity Place, which will soon be removed to make way for a new Pelli Clarke Pelli-designed mixed-use building standing almost 500 feet tall.

Demolition permits for the old structure were filed last December, and YIMBY reported on the building’s fate back in 2013, when it became clear it would be removed. While the office annex is certainly attractive, it was built in 1923, and no longer meets the needs of Trinity Church.

The loss of the old building is in this case unfortunate, but if any neighborhood has an abundance of pre-war towers, it is the Financial District (and most of the worthy ones are already landmarked). Pelli Clarke Pelli is designing the new structure, and while renderings had previously been revealed, it would appear changes are still planned.

Continue Reading

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 5:37 AM

Last edited by Cynicism; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 10:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
We're getting another glass box an addition to the eyesore of WTC#2.

R.I.P. Lower Manhattan Skyline 1925-2015
How absurd. Tell me a single skyline, not including midtown's, which is better. Chicago,, Seattle, and SF, for example, has way more boxes than lower Mahattan's, and not nearly as many pre War skyscrapers.

Secondly, Pelli's original design was not a box. It had an undulating design. We don't know for sure what the new takker design will look like.

I guarantee that your city would love to have 2 WTC and the 675' Trinity. 675' had become nothing in NY, but it's a major towrr in every other US city.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 11:36 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicism View Post
We're getting another glass box an addition to the eyesore of WTC#2.

R.I.P. Lower Manhattan Skyline 1925-2015
I have to agree with JR here, that's really a ridiculous statement. First of all, this tower is far from being ugly and second, 642' is nothing in Lower Manhattan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive