HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 9:23 PM

It would definitely be interesting to look at.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:33 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Prime Lot, Empty for Years (Yes, This Is Manhattan)

This 6.4-acre tract in Midtown Manhattan at the East River has sat dormant since 2007, a year before a $4 billion project was approved.
Now, the time to begin work is running out.

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
August 19, 2013

Quote:
This hole in the ground is the length of three city blocks. It is a carpet of sand, weeds and prairie grass sloping down to the river, interrupted only by a low ridge of broken bedrock. Around it, a black chain-link fence catches the plastic cups, paper and other debris that roll along like tumbleweeds. But this 6.4-acre parcel is not sitting in the middle of a decaying rust-belt city. It is nestled in the middle of Manhattan, between 38th and 41st Streets on First Avenue, overlooking the East River, amid a residential real estate boom. Yet it has sat fallow for six years, long enough for young trees to rise at the edges of the property.

How one of the most valuable undeveloped pieces of earth has sat empty for years — even after New York City approved a $4 billion project there in 2008 — is a mysterious and confusing tale of ambition, infighting, clashing personalities and bad timing. At its heart is Sheldon H. Solow, an irascible but talented billionaire developer who is an intermittent presence in his office on 57th Street after a career that reaches back more than a half century.

“This lot seems to be a prime candidate for development in the current market,” said Ross Moskowitz, a real estate partner at Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, who is not involved with the Solow site. “With interest rates still very attractive and the capital markets looking for product, there appears to be unlimited appetite and demand for residential housing in New York.”

Mr. Solow is not talking. Nor is his son Stefan, 38, who appears at the office, but not often at the same time as his father. “I can’t tell you anything,” said a family adviser, Thomas D. Thacher III.

Mr. Solow, 85, does not have much time to make his move. He must build the foundation for the office building or one of several apartment towers by November, or risk losing his permits and public approvals.

.....Mr. Solow, who has rarely if ever sold a property or an artwork in his vast holdings, did both this year. In February, he closed on the $172.5 million sale of a two-acre parcel on First Avenue between 35th and 36th Streets, part of the Con Ed property, to Michael Stern at JDS Development, who has already broken ground on a pair of residential buildings on the site.

According to executives who know Mr. Solow, he reconvened his development team about three months ago, eager to begin work on the hole in the ground, to demonstrate that he was serious and to capitalize on a surging market. But the group has not met again.

“He bought the land cheap,” said Edward Rubin, an architect and a former member of Community Board 6. “The rental market is really hot. Why it’s still a hole in the ground, I don’t know.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:04 AM
New Yorker for life

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/71847

Details of Park Design Around SHoP’s East River Twin Towers Revealed

September 30, 2013
Stela Rahman

Quote:
As part of a larger vision a pair of skyscrapers in Manhattan’s Murray Hill neighborhood, JDS Development Group plans to build a new park at 626 First Avenue. The park will be situated alongside two luxury rental towers designed by SHoP Architects. The towers are scheduled to open in early 2016.
While privately owned, the tranquil green space will be available for the public to enjoy. It will incorporate ginkgo trees, crisscrossed granite, and limestone paths, bike parking, seating and a water fountain, according to details revealed by JDS.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 2:16 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...w_modal_slot_1

Proposed Park Will Have Interactive Fountain and Flood Protections

Heather Holland
October 2, 2013

Quote:
The developer of two luxury rental towers near the East River has revealed plans for the park it plans to build on the same block — complete with an interactive fountain and special trees and systems that can handle flooding from another storm.

JDS Development Group is planning a privately owned public park at 626 First Ave. and East 36th Street, the developer told Community Board 6 during a recent public meeting.

“This is a space that we’re giving to the community, and we want to make sure that the community has its needs [met] by the design,” said Michael Stern, managing partner of JDS Development.

The proposed park is a requirement for the zoning approvals of the two rental buildings, according to the City Planning Commission.

With its crisscrossing limestone and granite paths, the park will be anchored by the fountain at its center, inspired by land formations and movements, said Kate Orff, partner of Scape/Landscape Architecture, whose team designed the 38,000-square-foot open space.

The plan is to create a stony border around the fountain for extra seating, and switches that let park users turn the water features on and off.

“It’s not a playground, but it can be playful,” Orff said. “It can be something that is engaging for residents, but also for children.”

When a committee member asked how management would keep people from sleeping in the park, which would be open 24 hours a day, Stern assured community members that the development's security workers would monitor the park at all times.

“We’re going to own these building for a long time and we’re going to run a top-notch facility at the end of the day,” Stern said.

Because of the park’s proximity to the East River, it will feature flood protections including elevated edges and an underground system that can capture and filter stormwater.

The plantings there will include metasequoia and red maple, which can survive even if doused with saltwater, Orff said.

JDS Development hopes to submit the proposal and design to the City Planning Commission in January 2014, and if it’s approved, the park will be completed by the time the two new rental buildings open in early 2016.

The residential towers will reach 40 and 49 stories with 800 units in all.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/ny...anted=all&_r=0

This 6.4-acre tract in Midtown Manhattan at the East River has sat dormant since 2007, a year before a $4 billion project was approved.

Now, the time to begin work is running out.

Just another note, they were given a 3 year extension to get development rolling on the rest of the Con Ed sites. So it remains to be seen if they will develop the sites themselves, or if JDS becomes involved.

Comparison to SHoP's towers...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 5:43 AM
BANNED

The crooked towers look out of place. They can do better than that?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
The crooked towers look out of place. They can do better than that?
That's what is getting built.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 3:19 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Photo Credit: EastMillinocket @ WNY

As of December 21st, 2013...

©EastMillinocket

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; May 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 9:03 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

BuzzBuzz Home:

Have a model shot of SHoP-designed 626 First Avenue by JDS Development
By: Joyce Chen MAY 15, 2014

Quote:
Fresh from The Real Deal’s new development showcase, here’s a scale model shot of JDS Development‘s curvy building duet at 626 First Avenue.

Designed by SHoP Architects, the two-building, copper-clad rental project on the East River will have about 800 units total. The towers will rise 40 and 47 stories tall, with two levels of below grade parking for 270 cars, according to the JDS site. The two grand lobbies will have 30-foot ceilings, while a breezeway in the west tower will connect the ground-floor retail on First Avenue to a privately owned public park facing the East River. Said public park will also be developed by JDS, with features such as ginkgo trees, shaded seating areas, bike parking, granite and limestone paths and a water fountain, DNAinfo reported. The green space will be on the northeast corner of the site, at FDR Drive and 36th Street.

The towers’ amenities package is generous and wide, with a rooftop space flaunting an infinity edge pool, outdoor bar and lounge, private cabanas and an outdoor kitchen area for barbecues. Also included is a “sky bridge” with a lap pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna, spa, squash court, juice bar, yoga and pilates studio, children’s playroom, golf simulator and lounge overlooking the East River.

Completion is slated for 2016, Curbed reported.

©bbhNYC on Twitter

Last edited by Hypothalamus; May 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:40 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I wonder if now that BdB's in office, we'll see the heights of these (well maybe not these two, but the other ones on the parcel) bumped back up closer to what they were originally proposed as.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:52 AM
DENNAB

I really like them, NY needs something unique like that with a skybridge too and I'm guessing the higher will rise past 500 feet. This, the pyramid and 56 Leonard will be NY's new wacky designs.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:45 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I really like SHoP; it's why I very eagerly anticipating to see what they come up with for the Hudson Block in my hometown of Detroit. This is a really great design.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:30 PM

I love these towers. LOVE!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I wonder if now that BdB's in office, we'll see the heights of these (well maybe not these two, but the other ones on the parcel) bumped back up closer to what they were originally proposed as.
I hope so. Build bigger for more affordable housing.

Also these buildings look awkward. Two humping buildings for the whole world to see? No thanks.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:23 PM

If these towers were straight with no curve, they'd be as banal as anything I've seen on these forums. The curve and sky bridge just don't impress enough to take away from that fact, especially since the curve isn't executed well (imo).

I'm probably in the minority on this. It just looks tacky to me.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:49 PM

I love it. the contrast of the copper cladding with the shear glass ends, the varied window sizes to create a texture that echos the shape of the buildings. The way the skywalk intersects the furthest point of the both the curve of the buildings and their texture... fantastic design.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
If these towers were straight with no curve, they'd be as banal as anything I've seen on these forums. The curve and sky bridge just don't impress enough to take away from that fact, especially since the curve isn't executed well (imo).

I'm probably in the minority on this. It just looks tacky to me.
I'm of the same thought. The sky bridge just doesn't look right or flow with the buildings. Looks like an added afterthought.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 2:50 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Excavation underway-- photo looking west:

As of June 1st, 2014...
Photo Credit: Tectonic

©Tectonic

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 3:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

From SSC:

========================
Images found at: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1517282&page=3
========================

Credit: Tectonic; http://www.yimbyforums.com/t/new-yor...0-floors/117/2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive