HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 10:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The Hudson's project costs just slightly more than Little Ceasers Arena so he's not the only one to propose (and actually build something) of this scale. That has nothing to do with the fact that the redesign looks worse than the original, imo.

The original discussion was about having a 300 foot tower being hypothesized in Old Redford which has mostly low-rise development. My point is that it's not unusual to have a building, such as the Fisher Building at 450 feet, being built adjacent to 2 and 3 story structures, with the exception of the GM building across the street. At the time, that was way outside the CBD. So, my point is it's not unusual to have high rises away from the city core but Detroit wouldn't end up like Houston with dozens of high rises scattered all over the place.
The arena serves a completely different function from the Hudson site development (besides, nearly half of it was taxpayer funded), so it's basically apples and oranges.

And ultimately, the point I'm getting at is there's no chance of Detroit ending up like Houston (never mind the fact that a 300 foot skyscraper is barely happening downtown, let alone some place like Old Redford outside of someone's dreams). I wouldn't worry about it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 12:59 AM
Closed account

Below is a very thorough analysis conducted as far as where potential cities stand in terms of meeting Amazon's needs.

Surprisingly, Detroit ranked relatively high, with a score greater than 40%. Only 3 others (Chicago, Philadelphia and DC) barely had a score greater than 50%.

It should be noted, he dinged Detroit for a lack of housing. He also didn't include Ann Arbor / University of Michigan in his analysis. Take that however you like.

https://medium.com/migration-issues/...n-effda4edc00f

I did chuckle at this part, as he has a point. With both Detroit and Atlanta being Delta's top hubs, you can practically get the same number of direct flights to the same number of destinations in both cities.

Quote:
I’m not going to bother with debating whether Atlanta should get more airport points than Detroit.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Sep 16, 2017 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 1:01 AM

Becuase the only thing Detroit doesn't have is transit, but a BRT system could easily be built in the coming 15 years.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 1:16 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Becuase the only thing Detroit doesn't have is transit, but a BRT system could easily be built in the coming 15 years.
Absolutely.

Plus, Detroit does already have the bones in place to at least establish a couple commuter rail lines relatively quickly. It's just a matter of getting the funding in place to modify and modernize the infrastructure accordingly.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 5:49 AM

I think that perhaps one of the biggest unsaid thing so far at least that Detroit has going for it is impact, no doubt where ever HQ2 gets built it will have a big helping effect on the economy but Amazon could really do a lot of good while getting a lot of good P.R. with a presence that would be city and region wide. Amazon's move helps kick Detroit's comeback into high gear and provides a lot of good jobs to people who need them its a good story the company could tell showing how their presence is a force for the greater good or the like. It's not enough in itself to make it worth while for Amazon to move here just for that reason but it could balance out or even out weigh some of the potential negatives Detroit has against.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 1:51 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
I think that perhaps one of the biggest unsaid thing so far at least that Detroit has going for it is impact, no doubt where ever HQ2 gets built it will have a big helping effect on the economy but Amazon could really do a lot of good while getting a lot of good P.R. with a presence that would be city and region wide. Amazon's move helps kick Detroit's comeback into high gear and provides a lot of good jobs to people who need them its a good story the company could tell showing how their presence is a force for the greater good or the like. It's not enough in itself to make it worth while for Amazon to move here just for that reason but it could balance out or even out weigh some of the potential negatives Detroit has against.
I think you make a good point; but in term's of how much weight, if any, this aspect will have on the corporation's decision, remains to be seen. It will come down to whether or not Amazon understands this story (if Detroit presents it that way) and sees any value in it. On a related note, I also wonder about outside perspective regarding Detroit's emergence from bankruptcy, and wonder if is perceived as just 'too soon / too risky' by big investors from out of state. I hope not - this too could be turned into a positive part of the 'story' that Detroit tells Amazon, one that conveys resilience and creativity by many local business and city leaders.

Last edited by deja vu; Sep 17, 2017 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 6:00 PM

I agree that in itself a good pr only goes so far and wont be a counter weight to hard cold economics but lets say that Detroit is stacking up well in its bid and things are very close at the end with Detroit still in the running then things beyond the specified desired attributes may start to play a larger role in selection.

On another note i was just saying how i wanted to see some infill in Old Redford haha.

Quote:
Stephen Ross, Ford Foundation to invest in Platform projects throughout city
$7.5 million from Ross, $10 million from foundation to go to neighborhood housing

By Kirk Pinho and Sherri Welch
Crain's Detroit Business
September 14, 2017

Billionaire developer Stephen Ross and the New York-based Ford Foundation are teaming up with The Platform LLC to make a $27.5 million investment in bringing housing to Detroit neighborhoods.

Ross, a Detroit native and New York real estate developer who also owns the Miami Dolphins, announced a $7.5 million investment and the Ford Foundation a $10 million investment during the Detroit Homecoming event Thursday night at the Detroit Film Theatre at the DIA.

Their investments add to $10 million from The Platform, a development company formed by Peter Cummings and Dietrich Knoer.

The Platform Neighborhood Initiative is bringing affordable housing, plus market-rate apartments, to areas outside of the significant development that's already taken place in the downtown and Midtown areas. Neighborhoods targeted for the projects include Islandview, Brightmoor/Old Redford, Live6, New Center, TechTown, Milwaukee Junction, North End, Eastern Market and the Riverfront.

"If you have a real estate personality as prominent as Stephen Ross and an institution like the Ford Foundation making these kinds of commitments, it says as much about the city of Detroit as it does The Platform," Cummings said.

He said Ford Foundation CEO Darren Walker and Ross met a few weeks ago on other business and began discussing Detroit Homecoming and potentially making an investment. Ross agreed to call Cummings, and the deal was set in motion. Ross is the nephew of the late Detroit businessman Max Fisher, and Cummings is married to Fisher's daughter, Julia Fisher Cummings.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...cts-throughout

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I think you make a good point; but in term's of how much weight, if any, this aspect will have on the corporation's decision, remains to be seen. It will come down to whether or not Amazon understands this story (if Detroit presents it that way) and sees any value in it. On a related note, I also wonder about outside perspective regarding Detroit's emergence from bankruptcy, and wonder if is perceived as just 'too soon / too risky' by big investors from out of state. I hope not - this too could be turned into a positive part of the 'story' that Detroit tells Amazon, one that conveys resilience and creativity by many local business and city leaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
Amazon does see value in Detroit, but it may not be IT value. Amazon is already building 3 distribution centers in Metro Detroit for a total of nearly 4,000 jobs.

Quote:
"Michigan has been a great place to do business for Amazon and we look forward to adding a new fulfillment center to better serve our customers in the region," said Sanjay Shah, Amazon's vice president of North American operations, said in a news release.

"The state has been a source of exceptional talent for Amazon, and we're proud to be creating great jobs with benefits for Michiganders."
http://www.mlive.com/business/index....ive_wareh.html

Though it should be noted, these were built with tax incentives and Metro Detroit's currently unemployment rate is around 4%. So the idea that Amazon needs a huge workforce to locate HQ2 here might just be BS.

Michigan and Detroit could actually craft a pretty lucrative tax incentive package based on current laws and incentives (partly created due to the state trying to lure other businesses) but the question is whether politicians would go through with it and whether other states could craft something better.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 10:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Amazon does see value in Detroit, but it may not be IT value. Amazon is already building 3 distribution centers in Metro Detroit for a total of nearly 4,000 jobs.

http://www.mlive.com/business/index....ive_wareh.html

Though it should be noted, these were built with tax incentives and Metro Detroit's currently unemployment rate is around 4%. So the idea that Amazon needs a huge workforce to locate HQ2 here might just be BS.

Michigan and Detroit could actually craft a pretty lucrative tax incentive package based on current laws and incentives (partly created due to the state trying to lure other businesses) but the question is whether politicians would go through with it and whether other states could craft something better.
Someone in the Atlanta thread mentioned that Atlanta and Georgia have the best credit rating in the US.

If that's the case, they're going to sell the farm to land this. I'm not sure if Michigan's willing to do that, especially given that it was like pulling teeth for them to pass the incentives for the Hudson skyscraper. I could be wrong though (apparently, Michigan's incentive package was the best amongst other competing states for the Volkswagen plant).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Someone in the Atlanta thread mentioned that Atlanta and Georgia have the best credit rating in the US.

If that's the case, they're going to sell the farm to land this. I'm not sure if Michigan's willing to do that, especially given that it was like pulling teeth for them to pass the incentives for the Hudson skyscraper. I could be wrong though (apparently, Michigan's incentive package was the best amongst other competing states for the Volkswagen plant).
Without adding any new incentives and with the ones Michigan and Detroit currently have, it's possible Amazon could get up to $1 billion to locate in Detroit. Dan Gilbert's tax incentive bill he pushed can support up to $500 million per project in Detroit and Michigan's "Good Jobs bill" (created to lure Foxconn) can support $200 million per year. Those are the two biggest I know from recent memory, but I'm sure there's a few more incentives already available.

I'm sure there's a few other states that could craft better (or bigger) deals but Amazon probably wouldn't count out Detroit completely.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 11:14 PM
Closed account

Below is the official RFP from Amazon.

One thing that stands out in particular is mass transit is not mentioned anywhere in it as a requirement. It simply requests participants to provide data regarding transit options (which includes buses & pedestrian access) as well as rush hour congestion data / drive times on roads and highways.

...Personnel travel and logistics needs, both from population centers to the Project site, as well as between company facilities, are critically important. As such, travel time to a major highway corridor and arterial roadway capacity potential are key factors. The highway corridors must provide direct access to significant population centers with eligible employment pools. Travel time to an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco/Bay Area, and Washington, D.C. is also an important consideration...

...Please provide highway, airport, and related travel and logistics information for all proposed sites. Please also include transit and transportation options for commuting employees living in the region. For each proposed site in your region, identify all transit options, including bike lanes and pedestrian access to the site(s). Also, list the ranking of traffic congestion for your community and/or region during peak commuting times...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 11:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Without adding any new incentives and with the ones Michigan and Detroit currently have, it's possible Amazon could get up to $1 billion to locate in Detroit. Dan Gilbert's tax incentive bill he pushed can support up to $500 million per project in Detroit and Michigan's "Good Jobs bill" (created to lure Foxconn) can support $200 million per year. Those are the two biggest I know from recent memory, but I'm sure there's a few more incentives already available.

I'm sure there's a few other states that could craft better (or bigger) deals but Amazon probably wouldn't count out Detroit completely.
$1 Billion won't be all that impressive for a project of this scale, considering the states / cities we're competing with. Michigan spent that much for GM to commit to a mere $700 million in investment and 1,200 jobs.

If you recall, the incentives added up to nearly $9 billion dollars to keep Boeing's operations in Seattle.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:57 PM

They will be opening an H.Q. office in Fisher Building but I believe they will also be keeping their Birmingham office open from what I've seen.

Quote:
Firm of Architecture Great Yamasaki Returns to Detroit

By Jacob Meschke
Deadline Detroit
September 14th, 2017

The modern-day version of legendary architect Minoru Yamasaki's firm will open an office in the Fisher Building in Detroit's New Center area, the Detroit Free Press reported Thursday. At the peak of his career Yamasaki, opened an architecture firm in Detroit, and lived and designed several buildings across Southeast Michigan. Born in Seattle, he lived and worked in Detroit from 1945 until his death in 1986 at age 73.

rom the Free Press' John Gallagher:

Robert Szantner, who worked for Yamasaki beginning in 1984 and stayed with the firm until it closed, later bought the intellectual property, including the name, out of receivership. He operated it in Birmingham for a few years but decided to move to Detroit, where Yamasaki himself had launched his firm around 1950.

"I think we’re really interested in that kind of momentum that Detroit has now," Szantner told me. He noted that the firm for many years was better known for its work elsewhere than here at home. "So we’re really excited about the resurgence of the city and want to be able to provide those services that we’re well-known for in other markets."
http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...rns_to_detroit

Quote:
Ford becomes second automaker to invest in Michigan mobility test site

By Katie Burke
Automotive News - Crain's Detroit Business
September 15, 2017

Rendering of the bridge expected to be completed as part of phase one construction of the American Center for Mobility's autonomous vehicle test track.

Ford follows Toyota Motor Corp. — which announced a $5 million investment in July — in funding the federally designated proving ground for autonomous and connected vehicles. The Dearborn-based automaker's contribution brings the site's total funds to $95 million of the $110 million needed. The center is slated to open in December.

Construction on the 311-acre site began in November. It is housed at Detroit-based General Motors Co.'s former Willow Run assembly plant between Detroit and Ann Arbor.

"The work done at Willow Run will help drive mobility solutions across the globe," Ken Washington, Ford's chief technology officer, said in a statement. "This is an investment in the safe, rapid testing and deployment of transformative technology that will help improve people's lives."

In January, the U.S. Department of Transportation named Willow Run one of 10 designated automated vehicle testing sites across the country. GM has expressed verbal interest in the site, and AT&T has pledged to provide the cellular network for connected testing.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...lity-test-site

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Last edited by Docta_Love; Sep 17, 2017 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 10:55 PM
somewhere in-between

That's pretty crazy about the return of Yamasaki as an Architecture Firm in Detroit. For all of the history that firm was a part of, I don't know if I would want to open a business using the original name, intellectual property rights or not. Random aside, my sister has a friend whose family now owns and lives in Yamasaki's house in Bloomfield Township. You can see a few photos of it on the Michigan Modern website here.

It was only a few days ago that I was reading about how some of the firm's intellectual property came to be owned by the State of Michigan. Thinking it's lucky that this much got saved:

Quote:
PHOTOS: The World Trade Center designs are owned by the state of Michigan
By Mark Brush | Michigan Radio
September 11, 2017

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 11:55 PM
Closed account

The latest word I'm hearing is that Gilbert's meeting with the Mayor of Windsor this week to discuss the Amazon HQ2 bid.

Awesome news!!!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
The latest word I'm hearing is that Gilbert's meeting with the Mayor of Windsor this week to discuss the Amazon HQ2 bid.

Awesome news!!!
I just read that too, interesting development! Not quite sure how that would work, but it could make the bid stand out being that it would include both countries!

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...-for-amazon-hq

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:57 PM

Off-topic, but anytime I see Amazon's domes in front of their tower it just looks so... phallic.

Anyway, Windsor would make sense if the Quebec to Windsor HSR ever came into fruition. Amazon could get the benefit of being pretty connected with Toronto without having to pay (or increase) the cost of real estate there. Then the US could have HSR from Detroit to Chicago. Detroit would be the perfect logistics hub.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:43 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Nice.

Quote:

Tanya Moutzalias | MLive.com

Crumbling historic Detroit house sells for $315,000 with plans for renovation

By Dana Afana | MLive.com

September 19, 2017

A long-vacant and blighted historic home in Detroit's Brush Park neighborhood could see new life under new ownership.

Developer Doug Quada purchased the Henry Glover home at 229 Edmund Place for $315,000, closing the deal on Friday, Sept. 15.

The three-floor home sits in the heart of the new City Modern development, one of Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert's multi-million dollar projects, and is down the road from Little Caesars Arena.

The project is not part of Gilbert's housing development, but CH Architects, which is restoring the historic mansions within the City Modern project, is also working on the the Henry Glover renovation plan, Quada said.

"The plan is for four or five apartments or condominiums, depending on what's approved by the Historic District Commission," Quada said Monday.
Home was built in 1874.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:49 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
That's great news, I photographed that house when I was there this past December. Will look amazing restored. It's pretty incredible how they're saving these completely trashed houses in Detroit. Whenever people talk about houses being too far gone to save I show them the houses of that neighborhood that have been restored after they're nearly collapsing or in some cases, have collapsed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:37 PM
Registered Ugly

Awesome. It is sad that there are so few of them left, but it should be an interesting mix of old and new once the City Modern project is complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations