HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:19 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
While at one level this a here nor there item, but I recall reviewing an inner city home a few months ago that I was considering picking up, but one of the things that had me reconsider was that the neighbor's garage was built so close to the fence that the roof actually hung over the property line. I actually didn't buy because of this - and I didn't want to get into a discussion with the neighbor about it to rectify.

So while there are some things that you / your parents may accept, there could be issues down the road.

My understanding of above grade construction is that it cannot be built up to the property line, and the roof overhang is clearly off-side. The major challenge you have now is that they'll get extra pissed that you didn't highlight this earlier. Whatever you do, make your decision soon. You don't want to sit on your hands and then complain six months later.
Yeah, no thanks.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 5:18 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Even if it is not technically encroaching, I recall that there is something in that bylaw that says you must have a minimum setback from the property line if the structure is not built with "maintenance free siding."

That said... The kids will get bored of the thing within a year or two and then the problem will be gone, but if you confront the neighbours about it, then that awkwardness with them will be there forever.
I was reading through and it was something like 0.6m in most cases, and it's only for structures more than 10 square meters, which this is not.

Anyways some words were exchanged between neighbors and supposedly he'll cut the roof back so it's not invading our territory.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 1:44 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Turns out the roof of the structure encroaches a little bit onto our property. Like... inches. Apparently that's a big deal, as the entire thing was built without so much as even telling us. I think the lack of communication is what's really annoying my mom. The saga continues...
That's a whole different kettle of fish. I'd be fighting that with bylaw services for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which being liability. On the part of your parents. For those who can't guess what I'm talking about, I'd say Google it but these sorts of cases can be tricky to uncover. Suffice it to say that your parents could be held liable for the part of the structure that exists within their property lines. And if something happens because of that bit... say a kid jumping from the roof...

I wish I was kidding, but I saw several successful suits like this happen in the 90s. And our legal system hasn't exactly gotten any more rational.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 1:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Generally speaking, windows do not line-up against each other in any new neighborhood, but it may have been an issue in the old areas. That's most certainly been the case for our current home and the prior two we've been in. We probably looked at three dozen homes and I don't recall and of those having this problem.

Have you owned a home where windows face each other? Must have been a real steal of a deal for you to accept that type of crap design!
You guys have a weird interpretation of "windows facing you". I never meant a window literally lining up against another window. However windows on the back of my house face my back neighbours' back yards. I can also look out from them into the yards of neighbours several houses down in either direction.

You know, windows that look into back yards... like the subject of this thread... things that can look into back yards... I kinda thought the implication was blatantly obvious. Unless this treehouse actually sits and looks directly into someone's bedroom window and is 4 feet away from said window... not sure how all this discussion of side windows came about.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
You guys have a weird interpretation of "windows facing you". I never meant a window literally lining up against another window. However windows on the back of my house face my back neighbours' back yards. I can also look out from them into the yards of neighbours several houses down in either direction.
The context and way you stated it, it really did not sound like you were talking about facing back yards or across the back yard. You actually stated:

Quote:
Because in modern developments, with houses being so close together, any window you install will be facing someone.
Now if you are talking about windows looking over into the neighbors back yard or the houses across backyards, why would it have anything to do with "modern developments" and houses being "so close together" therein?

Anyway - let's stop responding to freeweed's trolling and stick to the topic of this thread.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 5:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Now if you are talking about windows looking over into the neighbors back yard or the houses across backyards, why would it have anything to do with "modern developments" and houses being "so close together" therein?
Because in all new subdivisions, houses are closer together in every dimension? I figured you of all people should know that given your handle. I certainly have a shallower backyard today vs houses built in the 1970s.

And again, given that we were talking about the neighbour's kids looking into back yards, and I was talking about how many back yards I could see from my windows... seems kinda obvious that I was talking about windows that face back yards.

Quote:
Anyway - let's stop responding to freeweed's trolling and stick to the topic of this thread.
Um, did someone put a stick up your ass this morning? In what possible universe can this be construed as trolling?

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 7:24 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Because in all new subdivisions, houses are closer together in every dimension? I figured you of all people should know that given your handle. I certainly have a shallower backyard today vs houses built in the 1970s.

And again, given that we were talking about the neighbour's kids looking into back yards, and I was talking about how many back yards I could see from my windows... seems kinda obvious that I was talking about windows that face back yards.

Um, did someone put a stick up your ass this morning? In what possible universe can this be construed as trolling?
The same one that his posts are not trolling

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:

That would be impossible as his head is currently residing in that space.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation