HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:15 AM

I am disappointed to hear that e borne books will be closing. I have loved that book store since I was a child. If another book store moves in (highly doubtful) I would be fine with that but I have always enjoyed wondering through that space with it's endless rooms.

Last edited by RC14; Apr 23, 2019 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:10 AM

Are we sure we can trust the source of this information? I would like to hear it from somebody who we know actually provides reliable information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
If they are going to tear it down, I wouldn't mind either though. If you look at the building itself, it is rather ugly. The area I would really like to see torn down on Main Street is between the Judge Building (300S) and the Boston/Newhouse Buildings. All those 1 floor buildings should be demolished to make way for a more prominent, taller building. I'd also like to see the 'Melting Pot' across the street demolished and turned into a tower.
There is so much more to a city than just tall buildings. There are still plenty of areas that tall buildings can be built in downtown Salt Lake City. There is no need to tear down existing historic buildings that are in the middle of one of the few vibrant areas of Salt Lake. Main Street is probably the street that is least in need of help (at least before 4th South).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:32 AM

I was simply posting an opinion, not a fact. I dream of a future not always beholden to the past. Apparently, that is no a longer a welcome opinion on this site. I thought I found a place where we can openly share ideas, even if they may be a little controversial, as long as they were done so in a respectful manner. Unfortunately, you have all decided to start behaving like bullies, attacking me (the number of posts I have made), and not even giving what I said fair consideration (namely, should we really have 1 floor buildings in the heart of CBD). Due to this, I feel I am no longer welcome to participate in any future conversations.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:43 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
I was simply posting an opinion, not a fact. I dream of a future not always beholden to the past. Apparently, that is no a longer a welcome opinion on this site. I thought I found a place where we can openly share ideas, even if they may be a little controversial, as long as they were done so in a respectful manner. Unfortunately, you have all decided to start behaving like bullies, attacking me (the number of posts I have made), and not even giving what I said fair consideration (namely, should we really have 1 floor buildings in the heart of CBD). Due to this, I feel I am no longer welcome to participate in any future conversations.
lol bro no one was being disrespectful to your opinion. We're allowed to be critical of something we don't agree with. I said I was confused as to why you thought it was ugly. Bob Rulz only said there's more to a city than tall towers. If that triggers you, yeah, you're not going to make it on this forum.

I probably post the most controversial opinions here, and I've been called a lot worse, but why do I give a fuck what some randos online think? I state my opinion. If you don't like it, piss off. Take that attitude and you'll be just fine.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
If you want a city that is not “beholden to the past,” then go build a new city somewhere else.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Assuming you aren’t just SL Projects under different name because he too couldn’t handle people challenging his opinion without getting offended, you should just take a deep breath and realize that sometimes our opinions will be challenged and that has happened to everyone. Hell, I think you are the one who challenged by statement about the Greek Orthodox Church purposefully allowing their apartments to become slums.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 3:22 PM

I look forward to what will be some very attractive new tallest's being added to Main Street in the future. As was pointed out, there are many missing teeth plots that would fit perfectly for a new high rise. That said, Main St. is so much more interesting and attractive with the eclectic mix of the historic styles along side the latest designs. A perfect example would be 222 and the Monaco Hotel. If anything, in addition to some sleek new tallest's, Salt Lake's CBD also could use a few true to form historic style classics added into its mix.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Assuming you aren’t just SL Projects under different name because he too couldn’t handle people challenging his opinion without getting offended, you should just take a deep breath and realize that sometimes our opinions will be challenged and that has happened to everyone. Hell, I think you are the one who challenged by statement about the Greek Orthodox Church purposefully allowing their apartments to become slums.
That was my first thought. Seems like history repeating.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:03 PM

Wow y’all know how to run with something. I never said it was being bulldozed. I go to coffee garden daily and the staff there was telling us that the book store has been told to leave as has city weekly in 6 weeks. Could just be them trying to turnover tenants into higher paying ones.

Last edited by msbutah; Apr 23, 2019 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Wow y’all know how to run with something.
What? Here? What? Us? Who?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:01 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Wow y’all know how to run with something. I never said it was being bulldozed. I go to coffee garden daily and the staff there was telling us that the book store has been told to leave as has city weekly in 6 weeks. Could just be them trying to turnover tenants into higher paying ones.
In my experience kicking out tenants in mass usually means redevelopment. These are commercial leases. Unless everyone's lease terms are ending at the same time the land owner would have to shell out some cash to kick everyone out. Commercial leases trump change of ownership in most cases. Just seems odd. Maybe they are just rinse and repeating but I'd doubt it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 10:32 PM

City Creek Reserve sent out this press release about 95 State (Tower 8)
City Creek Reserve, Inc. Makes It Official:
95 State at City Creek
to be SLC’s Newest Commercial Office Tower

SALT LAKE CITY – City Creek Reserve, Inc. (CCRI) today announced that Salt Lake City’s newest office tower to be constructed on the corner of State Street and 100 South will be named “95 State at City Creek.” The building will be the first high-rise development on State Street in decades.

According to Bruce Lyman, Director of Leasing for CCRI, 95 State’s downtown location and proximity to City Creek Center will offer businesses a compelling new choice for Class-A office space in Salt Lake City.

“95 State at City Creek is designed to appeal to today’s employees,” said Lyman. “Its central location and state-of-the-art amenities are designed to maximize wellness, sustainability and productivity to help our tenants make the most of their workday.”

At 393 feet in height, one of the tallest buildings in the state, the 25-story skyscraper will be unmistakable on the city’s skyline. The project will include 498,000 square feet of leasable office space and an additional 39,000 square feet of meetinghouse space for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The office tower and meetinghouse will have separate entrances and will be independently operated.

95 State at City Creek will offer office tenants premier amenities such as dedicated executive parking, exercise facilities with daily instructional classes, a private entrance for cyclists with secure bike storage, automated window shading, and personalized HVAC systems that will allow individuals to control their microclimate.

The building will also feature a 5th-floor garden terrace with 7,000 square feet of landscaping, a lobby with 28-foot floor-to-ceiling glass, on-site restaurant, and a renovated underground pedestrian walkway beneath State Street with direct, protected access to City Creek Center.

95 State at City Creek is designed to be the state’s first WELL Certified building with plans to also qualify for LEED Gold and Wired certifications.

Construction is set to begin this month with completion expected in Fall 2021.

###

Note to reporters: Architectural renderings attached to this email.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:19 AM

Sounds like the Union Pacific Hotel is a done deal now:
Salt Lake City approves $7M loan to build boutique hotel at The Gateway
https://www.ksl.com/article/46538016...at-the-gateway

I like everything about this project except that it blocks the view of the depot from the west side. I suppose it was inevitable that it would get blocked eventually. It isn't a real train station anymore, so what does it really matter if it cannot be photographed in the same frame as the railroad tracks? Aside from that, I'm glad it will be getting more use.

If we do win the Olympics in 2030, we better give our Salt Lake Central Station a really nice depot building, something that at least compares with the old Union Pacific and Rio Grande depots. Something modern and grand, like the main Library building. I realize that in order to get that kind of money it would have to be more than just an amtrak/grayhound station. Have the check-in desk area also include airlines, so that you can take an express bus (or eventually a new rail line?) straight to the airport without needing to worry about your bag until you get to your destination. Allow other bus services to stop at the Intermodal Center without charge so that outfits like the Salt Lake Express can stop there instead of at the LDS Conference Center. Have a hotel similar to this new Union Pacific Hotel incorporated. That sort of thing.
Basically, build something so great that the old Depots look quaint, so that every time I see them I don't get nostalgic for a past I never lived through.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post

I like everything about this project except that it blocks the view of the depot from the west side. I suppose it was inevitable that it would get blocked eventually. It isn't a real train station anymore, so what does it really matter if it cannot be photographed in the same frame as the railroad tracks? Aside from that, I'm glad it will be getting more use.
I’m pretty confident that when the gateway gets re-redeveloped in 30-40 years, that hotel will come down. Sure it might look pretty now but I can already hear the words that will be said about it. Words that describe many of the 60’s and 70’s projects added onto historic structures or areas, ones that we are tearing down now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post

If we do win the Olympics in 2030, we better give our Salt Lake Central Station a really nice depot building, something that at least compares with the old Union Pacific and Rio Grande depots. Something modern and grand, like the main Library building. I realize that in order to get that kind of money it would have to be more than just an amtrak/grayhound station. Have the check-in desk area also include airlines, so that you can take an express bus (or eventually a new rail line?) straight to the airport without needing to worry about your bag until you get to your destination. Allow other bus services to stop at the Intermodal Center without charge so that outfits like the Salt Lake Express can stop there instead of at the LDS Conference Center. Have a hotel similar to this new Union Pacific Hotel incorporated. That sort of thing.
Basically, build something so great that the old Depots look quaint, so that every time I see them I don't get nostalgic for a past I never lived through.

Well said Hatman, and I hope it does happen. The Olympics would be the perfect excuse to build a central station that the entire metro could be proud of. As far as mass transit in general, I just wish you had a magic wand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
I’m pretty confident that when the gateway gets re-redeveloped in 30-40 years, that hotel will come down. Sure it might look pretty now but I can already hear the words that will be said about it. Words that describe many of the 60’s and 70’s projects added onto historic structures or areas, ones that we are tearing down now.
I hope your wrong Wasatch. I've liked most of the other renderings of the project, but this particular rendering is a gross misstep. They should never have released it in the first place, if they were actually trying to impress anyone. I'm hoping that the laughable rendering will result in a pleasant surprise when the actual Hotel is completed. I'm remembering one of the most demonstrated renderings of 222 S. Main, and how some of us had to talk a few people down from the edge of a cliff. When we could finally make out the actual tower, everyone was majorly relieved. I'm hoping the the quality materials that will be used on this project, and the piss poor rendering will result in a pleasant surprise for all of us.

Taking a second look at this rendering from this angle I realize how my past hopes were that Gateway's design was going to have a very historic quality to it. At least that's how Boyer presented in its initial drawings. I still have a pretty poor opinion of how Boyer finished the surfaces of Gateway. It seems like the current owners have a good feel for its resurrection. The way Gateway was going, anything that has happened these past couple of years since the new owners took over seems like a big plus.

The site lines of this plaza will never win any rewards, but I guess from a business perspective things are looking up big time for Gateway.

A rendering of an eight-story hotel being proposed in The Gateway around the west face of the historic Union Pacific Depot.

I have to say I really like this particular layout

https://media.deseretdigital.com/fil...c=6&a=ba586585

Last edited by delts145; Apr 24, 2019 at 11:58 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
In my experience kicking out tenants in mass usually means redevelopment. These are commercial leases. Unless everyone's lease terms are ending at the same time the land owner would have to shell out some cash to kick everyone out. Commercial leases trump change of ownership in most cases. Just seems odd. Maybe they are just rinse and repeating but I'd doubt it.
Let's just say for purpose of discussion that they were planning on building a sleek new high rise at that 240 S. Main location. I know this isn't a purest perspective, but I wouldn't have a problem with it if they set the tower back from the historic fronts, and allowed for all of the historic frontage and a decent part of the historic street level interior guts to be reinstated/rebuilt.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 5:53 PM
They all float down here

So, that'll make this Salt Lake's third-tallest tower.

Nice.

Still not sure why we can't break that 400 foot ceiling, tho. An extra floor would've done it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 8:53 PM

Demo has begun on the food alley on State Street.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
At least that's how Boyer presented in its initial drawings.
does anyone happen to have any of Boyer's initial drawings? It would be interesting to compare them to what we have today.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
Demo has begun on the food alley on State Street.
I am so excited about this one! Been eagerly waiting for this to start construction. This is going to be a cool project!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West