HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja384 View Post

The 'Civic District' development by Wesgroup has been changed into 2x 60 1x 61 storey towers (hotel in one of the towers) + a 12 storey office building. Previous was a 53, 59, 66, 58 tower development.

I can see the 12 story office being a bit of a placeholder -- get approvals in place, start phase 1, and then see how office market conditions play out.

I can see that 12 story turning into a residential tower.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:11 AM

Surrey is going to be losing some office space though, the London Square has some offices in it and it will be getting redeveloped soon, they will need to find new spaces. Perhaps the passport office can move out of the mall to one of these new developments.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Surrey is going to be losing some office space though, the London Square has some offices in it and it will be getting redeveloped soon, they will need to find new spaces. Perhaps the passport office can move out of the mall to one of these new developments.
Honestly, you're right. A thriving downtown needs office space, I do not doubt there will be demand for this space.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbased View Post
Honestly, you're right. A thriving downtown needs office space, I do not doubt there will be demand for this space.
Even with this push to work from home?

I wonder how well a hotel will do when right across the street from the one in 3 Civic Plaza.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post

I wonder how well a hotel will do when right across the street from the one in 3 Civic Plaza.
What push to work from home? That was 4 years ago. The push is now to be in office at least 3 days per week (at least within my network).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
What push to work from home? That was 4 years ago. The push is now to be in office at least 3 days per week (at least within my network).
Yeah, the push is to back to the office now. It’s safe to assume there will be a need for office space by the end of the decade

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post

I think the hotel will do well as the population continues to grow in Surrey. Airbnb's are usually prohibited by strata's so--in theory--this would drive short term customers to use hotels in the area.

The discussion around office space requires a more nuanced discussion.

If we look ahead 5-10 years, as AI systems/tools continue to improve they should drive productivity gains across the economy. Employees will be more productive which may mean that fewer total employees are required by companies. If this is the case, then office space will still be useful, but a smaller footprint will do the job. We are already seeing big co's reduce their footprints or attempt to do so. Sure employees may come in 2-3 times a week, but having all your employees in the office to work is a thing of the past.

On the other hand, AI systems/tools will also enable small companies (1-10 people) to carry out the work of medium/large companies. Will these small teams need office space? Perhaps. Or, they may choose to all WFH and leverage shared working spaces to meet up once a week or so. I do not believe the traditional framework where a company grows to a certain size then leases/buys office space will hold true in the second half of this decade. Small teams will have outsized impacts and they will work in a highly flexible/adaptable manner.

There are far too many variables at play in the office market to make any predictions. As someone with a role deciding where to allocate capital, I personally am steering clear of all office product until it becomes clear what the next "work" framework will look like.

In fact, rather than office space, I would love to see more lab space in Surrey (both wet and dry) as we begin an age of biotech.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:31 AM

Offices will always be needed for MLA's, MP's, Doctors, small law firms, Notarys, Accountants, etc.

Surrey is developing the health and tech zone just north of the Hospital.

Quote:
B.C. has a shortage of wet-lab space, but Surrey has plans for up to 1M-sq.ft.
source

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 1:04 AM

The issue is the developments adjacent to the Skytrain can not move forward without these office components, and with uncertain market conditions this can stall the projects indefinitely. This issue was brought up April 2022 back when 50% of the floor space needed to be offices.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...-space-2987387

The HTD is another area to compete with, not to mention the entire Centre Block project.

It's a shame ICBC is going to be moving to Vancouver/Burnaby, would have been good to fit them into the 200m+ office tower.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/icbc...ions-shortlist

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:26 AM

a large site on 104th in between 146th and 144th has been cleared and a lot of work going on the last few days, not sure which project is going to be there, does anyone know?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:22 AM

Quote:
a large site on 104th in between 146th and 144th has been cleared and a lot of work going on the last few days, not sure which project is going to be there, does anyone know?
I wish it is Costco For some reasons, Costco likes to be located near the Superstore, doesn't it ???? :-)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 12:46 AM

Quote:
If it is the South large lot it is:

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=20&seq=0126

Quote:
Development Permit to permit the development of two, 6-storey apartment buildings with approximately 288 rental dwelling units and underground parking on a consolidated site.
Planning report: https://www.surrey.ca/sites/default/...20-0126-00.pdf

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:10 AM

yea thats the spot. Thanks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley