HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 9:23 PM

hm... not lookin good for fairmont

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:11 AM
Meh

I always assumed they would start after SXSW just to avoid the chaos for one more year.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I always assumed they would start after SXSW just to avoid the chaos for one more year.
Any news on this project

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 10:18 PM

I heard a rumor today that the project is severely over budget. The entire team is scrambling around trying to cut costs. Most likely this will be scaled back and delayed.

This is just what I heard from a source in the industry so take it for what it is worth.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 11:45 PM

I think this project will still happen. Today I heard that excavation would start in May.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 1:33 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I have a question that hopefully someone here can answer. Since this is slated to be a Fairmont, do they not invest in the construction? It seems odd that Manchester would have difficulty with costs or partners for such a prestigious brand. Do they just commit that once the building is built they will run the hotel or is there more to it than that?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I have a question that hopefully someone here can answer. Since this is slated to be a Fairmont, do they not invest in the construction? It seems odd that Manchester would have difficulty with costs or partners for such a prestigious brand. Do they just commit that once the building is built they will run the hotel or is there more to it than that?
The project's developers have kept details fairly secret. I don't think they are planning to operate the hotel on their own. Probably the developers entered into a management contract with Fairmont in which the hotel is developed to meet Fairmont standards, and Fairmont will operate the hotel (and pay a hefty annual rent to do so) for a number of years with options to renew the lease. This is the way most hotel projects get done. The developer takes the management contract, which might provide them with a percentage of operating profits in addition to the annual lease payments, to lenders or potential partners who decide to invest based on the strength of the operating agreement and other variables. I guess some hotel companies may participate in financing or ownership of a property, but most usually do not. The Marriott properties in Austin are all owned by other companies. White Lodging has been the main developer of Marriott properties in the Austin area, and they actually operated some of these hotels under franchise agreements with Marriott. Examples of re-branding under new operating contracts abound. You may recall that the current Sheraton was until recently a Marriott. The Hilton Garden Inn was a Sheraton. The contracts run out and frequently a hotel changes branding at that time.

With regards to whether this project gets built, I suspect that the agreement with Fairmont is solid and attractive. The ultimate decision to build probably hinges on the variables, the most important one being a determination as to whether the Austin market can absorb a project of this size at the present time.

Last edited by austlar1; Feb 19, 2014 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:29 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post
I heard a rumor today that the project is severely over budget. The entire team is scrambling around trying to cut costs. Most likely this will be scaled back and delayed.

This is just what I heard from a source in the industry so take it for what it is worth.
Over budget? How much over the $350MM construction budget did your source say they were? If this is true, what in the heck did they do to the building to balloon an already steep budget.

Just to give others an idea, a $300MM-$350MM construction budget would yield a structure like the W Austin (~835M SF) or the U/C JW Marriott Austin (over 1MM SF). The Austonian cost roughly $250MM to build.

By the way...The Fairmont still lists an Austin location on its "Properties In Development" web page. I'm pretty sure they will take it off before we find out if this project has died.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:32 AM

I just found this information about the Fairmont group and its principal investor. Looks like he likes to own a big chunk of the hotel properties outright and lets Fairmont (or other hotel management companies owned by him such as Four Seasons) run them. He owns about 35% of the Fairmont group. Who knows what role he may be playing in the Austin project. Maybe he is one of those partners not quite on board just yet. I hope he does climb on board because he has some DEEP pockets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryado...hotel-shuffle/

Last edited by austlar1; Feb 19, 2014 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:00 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Hey check this out. Look familiar?

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...hesters-hotel/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:28 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Even San Diego news is picking up on us now...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 3:57 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Awesome. So, someone outside of ourselves does read our drivel.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Great. Didn't think I could hate Adam Sandler any more than I already do.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:20 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Even San Diego news is picking up on us now...
The owner of the San Diego Union-Tribune is the developer of this project.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:22 PM

oh dear god.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:53 PM

My comment made it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 6:06 PM

I bet Manchester reads this forum as well. So hey Manchester get off your ass and get this thing built.......

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 6:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
The owner of the San Diego Union-Tribune is the developer of this project.
Yes, that's in the article, but the article isn't in the San Diego Union-Tribune... It's in the San Diego Reader, so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
I bet Manchester reads this forum as well. So hey Manchester get off your ass and get this thing built.......
and build a giant ferris-wheel downtown off town lake.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 6:59 PM
Rundberg & I35

Hey Mr Manchester Jr.... if you are reading this can you please not scale back the project? And can you include more ground level retail? Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin