HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
You could always catch BART to Richmond and board Amtrak there. The 2 stations are right next to each other if Im not mistaken.
More like one above the other--As I recall you go downstairs from BART to get to AMTRAK or it could be the other way round--but it only works for the Sacramento trains I think because they discontinued Richmond as a stop for long distance trains (California Zephyr, Coast Starlight) and I think they should resume it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
Very good news - no protests or anything at the meeting!

People that were there - what sort of people were at the meeting? Was it mostly 'businessmen' or a whole mix?

Looking forward to the 6th...
The developers were all standing up in the back in their expensive suits. It was a mix of 20 somethings, like myself, a few ratty haired hippie types with holes in their shoes (very few of these.. which is a good thing!), and primarily your everyday SFers that you see on the streets of downtown, Castro, Noe Valley, etc. I didn't witness any particular NIMBY militant activists, and when the prospect of 1000+ foot Transbay Tower was approached, people either seemed unfazed, amused (like myself, nodding my head in pleasure ), but I did not get any anti- height vibes at all in the meeting. People seemed very interested in the progress that the planning depts. have made so far.

There was a chance for attendees to leave comment cards, and I wrote down all of the comments you all give me, plus a few others I could think of, such as: raising the height limits would allow for more public space on the ground for parks etc.. I wrote in big letters that I support a supertall TransBay tower. I'm now on their mailing list and will post any news I receive from them.

I also remember the speaker explaining that Folsom street will be a new shopping/ retail district for this new upcoming area.

Last edited by tyler82; Jul 27, 2007 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
raising the height limits would allow for more public space on the ground for parks etc...
Sure, although do not count on the parks being there for more than a generation or so. At some point, the owners may tire of providing maintenance and security for the green spaces, letting the homeless take over, in which case building these spaces over would look attractive. In my neighborhood, Cathedral Hill, they have plans to build a new development over the tennis courts of a development built 40 years ago.

Last edited by nequidnimis; Jul 27, 2007 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:19 AM

Yeah the lecture was pretty good overall. Nothing any of us here hadn't heard before though. There was about 200 people there with a median age was over 40, 85% of the crowd were mostly middle aged men most of whom seemed to be professionals like architects and developers and skyscraper geeks like ourselves and a lot of people seemed to be with their co workers. I am really looking forward to the 6th with the unveiling of the towers that will be exciting.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 9:26 PM
BANNED

As a real estate consultant and appraiser, I just got back from an inspection for the Millenium Partners' offices on Market St. I met with the Vice President, who told me that he has seen the renderings of the new tower, and that it is around 1400'. He said the design is unbelievable, and that San Francisco needs it. Tried to get some renderings for us, but he didn't have any, only said that he saw some at a few meetings with the transbay peeps.

The Millenium offices has a 3D model of Millenium tower in their offices. Go to the 301 Mission thread for pics.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 10:25 PM

That sounds amazing. I think I'm going to have to go to this meeting for the unveiling on the 6th.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 11:26 PM
BANNED

^^^If you'd rather, the models/renderings or whatever will be available all the next day (Aug. 7) in the north lightcourt at City Hall.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 11:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Tyler, you put that in singular. Has he seen all three proposals and all three are stunning and about 1400'? Or was he referring to one of the teams' work in particular?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 1:31 AM
BANNED

There is one signature tower at 1400 ' I'm not sure about the others. He said he saw just one of them, not sure which firm it was.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 3:35 AM

Quote:
There is one signature tower at 1400 ' I'm not sure about the others. He said he saw just one of them, not sure which firm it was.
I would love to see it. But, I question the safety of such a tall, slender tower. If this ever comes to fruition, would this be the tallest building in the world in an earthquake zone?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 3:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
I would love to see it. But, I question the safety of such a tall, slender tower. If this ever comes to fruition, would this be the tallest building in the world in an earthquake zone?
How would it be different than any other of the towers downtown, safety wise? Or houses in the Sunset, they are way less safe in an earthquake, yet people still live there. The Golden Gate Bridge was for a long time the tallest bridge in the world, and one of the tallest, if not the tallest, in an earthquake zone. It's all in the engineering.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 3:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Of course not. Taiwan has very strong earthquakes and have had some since Taipei 101 (1474 ft to roof, 1670 to tip of spire) was built.

Source: Wikipedia

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 5:48 AM

Quote:
As a real estate consultant and appraiser, I just got back from an inspection for the Millenium Partners' offices on Market St. I met with the Vice President, who told me that he has seen the renderings of the new tower, and that it is around 1400'. He said the design is unbelievable, and that San Francisco needs it. Tried to get some renderings for us, but he didn't have any, only said that he saw some at a few meetings with the transbay peeps.

The Millenium offices has a 3D model of Millenium tower in their offices. Go to the 301 Mission thread for pics.
I hope you are not teasing us - that sounds amazing!!!

Someone want to photochop a slim 1400' tower into the SF skyline where the tower should be built?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 6:14 AM
BANNED

On Monday I'll try to get a rendering ahead of schedule, as I have one more meeting with him. I can't promise anything, but if somebody would know how to get ahold of one, it would be this guy.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 6:24 AM
Pizza Pizza

shit i cant wait!!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 8:53 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
I hope you are not teasing us - that sounds amazing!!!

Someone want to photochop a slim 1400' tower into the SF skyline where the tower should be built?
For months now I've held the concept of building a tower around the height of 1500'. I've always tried to imagine it, but it seemed like people I talked to were not buying it when I mentioned it, saying it would be nice, but unlikely to get approved. I posted this a few pages back to provide something of a visual aide to what I was refering to. In this shot, the Transbay Tower appears at 1500', the tallest among the buildings in the central part of the skyline.

1400' is very nice, but if they build it at my height, they would top both Taipei and Sears Tower with a higher roof, and it would become the tallest building in an earthquake zone, a testament to advances in earthquake technology. I felt as if the meeting dropped hints that such a thing is possible and that they've given it some serious thought. This along with Tyler's research makes me think we'll find this to be reality at the unveiling on August 6th. A stellar design combined with superb engineering and this supertall height should make this one building the whole world will keep its eyes on. I certainly hope I see this in a few days .

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 5:29 PM

Wow! A possible 1400 footer and amazing architecture, this can be incredible. Developers keep telling me a whole new city is going to be built here, and it is like an area of development with no holds bars. If the 1400 footer gets approved, there is no turning back.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 7:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
For months now I've held the concept of building a tower around the height
1400' is very nice, but if they build it at my height, they would top both Taipei and Sears Tower with a higher roof, and it would become the tallest building in an earthquake zone, a testament to advances in earthquake technology.
Hopefully they start building in six months

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 8:46 PM
BANNED

^^^Calm down. The TJPA says on their web site ( http://sfgov.org/site/frame.asp?u=ht...sbaycenter.org ) "Construction of the new landmark Transit Center and complementary Transit Tower is scheduled to begin in 2010 and be completed in 2014" so it ain't gonna happen in 6 months. In fact, it won't be completed in 6 years. And I'll be surprised if they hold to this timetable--that rarely happens in SF development.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:09 PM

I think adding another 200-300 feet over Renzo's buildings would look about right. It could be even taller, especially if a few other buildings between 850 to 1150 can be built nearby. Here are some "fantasy" renderings with generic box style buildings I did last January of 2007. Obviously, things have and will continue to change. Please note that none of the taller Transbay cluster buildings will block any views of the Bay or Bay Bridge from Twin Peaks. They will only block views of other tall buildings behind them. No views of San Francisco hills will be blocked as seen from driving on 101 and from the Bay Bridge in either direction as they are seen now.

Schematic Conceptual View With Generic Transbay Tower

There's about 2 or 3 buildings I would make a little thinner. I would also make 350 Mission shown here at 850 feet a bit shorter, but but as for much of this who knows for certain?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development